• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Trey

tHjOzTs.png

Welcome to the Avatar Community thread, which is of course centered around the beloved western animated television franchise. AvatarGAF really took off as a community when the Legend of Korra started airing, and a fair amount of faces have come and gone across that series' run. For better or worse we find ourselves at this juncture, but one thing is undeniable: this community is passionate about Avatar. Discussion will include many elements of the show, both official and fan driven. As always, newcomers are encouraged to join in on the fun. So let's get to it.

XTNrLc8.png

Before anything else, keep these two rules in mind.

• Abide by the NeoGAF Terms of Service.
  • Keep discussion centralized on Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra and all media relevant to the franchise.
While extracurricular discussion will happen occasionally given this is a community thread, the bulk of the content should be directly relevant to the Avatar franchise. Newcomers will be better positioned to join the discussion as a result. And of course, be civil.

There are a few community engagements in the works that will provide at least some options and structure for activity in this thread.

Jacob's Avatar 10th Anniversary Rewatch Thread has seen decent activity, and is the current home of this community's show rewatch effort.

[Fan Fiction Discussion]

A great idea has been suggested to focus in on a particular piece of Avatar fanfiction and talk about it as a community. Details are still nebulous, but will be clarified in the future​

6N76bG6.png

Special thanks to Kinvara for the graphic material used in the OT. Special thanks to Jacob for the Community Timeline.

Jacob

Thanks for getting the new thread up, Trey! Appreciate the shout-out to the rewatch thread as well. :)

Let's start off by saying that Koh the Face Stealer should have been a main villain in TLoK.

One of my few regrets about ATLA is that Koh never made good on his promise of "we'll meet again". A missed opportunity for TLOK to make that right. Though generally speaking I think they made the right call by minimizing the number of direct references to the original show.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, as far as choosing fanfiction goes, here is the general guidelines I think we ought to follow.

1. The fanfic should be completed - The main reason for this is that, if we're going to be making community readings out of this, then when do we decide when the story is 'done', before we move onto the next one? If the story is incomplete, we might want to stick around for it. That, and incomplete stories are lame. On the other hand, it could lead to us anticipating the new chapter which can lead to some group speculation. That's always fun. Still, it might be better if overall we do not end our stories with cases of blueballs.

2. Lets try to keep it PG - Okay, this one is slightly controversial. Some people want to avoid shipping fics at all, but I fundamentally disagree with that. Romance is part of life and was a big part of the show. It has always been a strong foundation for many good stories. So if you have a shipping fic to recommend because you feel it's good, by all means. However, lets try to avoid something with explicit sex, and this goes double if it's something creepy. Good rule of thumb is this: If you wouldn't have seen it happen on the show specifically because it's age inappropriate, it's not appropriate for here. This doesn't just mean sexual stuff, but violence as well. I don't want to see a Avatar-Saw crossover where the primary story is how Aang has airbend his own eyeballs out or he'll have his testicles crushed by the evil earthbending Jigsaw or anything like that.
2a. On that note, ABSOLUTELY NO FIGHTING OVER PAIRINGS. You can debate whether the character relationship is believable within the fanfic or whatever, but, by god, we will not have shipping wars here. Rule of thumb is this: "I don't think the author of Watery Flames depicted the character development of Katara in falling in love with Zuko believably because *insert reasons relating to the narrative of Watery Flames here*" is okay. "ZUTARA SUCKS AND YOU SUCK FOR LIKING IT BECAUSE IT CAN NEVER EVER EVER HAPPEN KATAANG OTP FOREVA" is not. I don't care how much you believe an Azula, Smellerbee and Haru three way relationship would or would not work together, discuss it only within the context of a particular story, never as a general pairing.

3. Try to find continuation fanfiction - Continuation Fanfiction is, for the most part, stuff that keeps what happened in the show as is and continues on from there. A lot of fanfiction is "For want of a nail" where in the story is "What if this early thing happened instead of what actually happened" or alternate universe where "What if we had the same basic story, but Aang was born in the fire nation instead". Those are fun, but they involve basically the original plot being rewritten, atleast to some extent. Atleast for the first few fanfics we should abide by it, as we can make some progression of discovery in the world of Avatar. Sequels or Prequels, instead of....Requels. That said, I don't think this rule should last too long, because there are a lot of great fics that go over the same material from a fresh perspective and it's really good stuff. I just feel expansion of the source material should be our first priority, then we go back and to mess with it.

4. Lets alternate between TLA and LoK - This is more of just a courtesy to have equal representation for both shows in so far as possible. THe fact is that TLA has been around a LOT longer than LoK and has a much more content. So that both shows get a fair shot, lets alternate between the two so that we can get good stuff flowing.

And these are guidelines, not absolute rules. If the story is good enough, I feel we can make exceptions. I heard a lot of good things from stories from which the story premise/summary repulses me. There is a TLA Trilogy that might be best read back to back. And, as mentioned, there are a lot of good 'alternate universe' fics.

There's only one other thing: How do we decide what we read? I've given this a lot of thought, and I think it's best if we put our names in random order on a list and then we go down the list. Each person recommends one fanfic. They choose how to sell it. Then we put it to a vote. If more than half of the people who will be participating in the read vote for it, then it's veto'd and the person has to choose another and that's the one we read. It's not perfect, obviously, but this is the advantages of this are that everyone gets to give the community a fanfic to read. The system is abusable, but we're relying on an honor system that has the users here not be dicks to one another and recommend, to the best of their ability, fics that are truly good.

Sound good to everyone?

Thanks for getting the new thread up, Trey! Appreciate the shout-out to the rewatch thread as well. :)

One of my few regrets about ATLA is that Koh never made good on his promise of "we'll meet again". A missed opportunity for TLOK to make that right. Though generally speaking I think they made the right call by minimizing the number of direct references to the original show.

I had high hopes for Book 2 initially because I thought "Spirits? That means Koh!"

It did not, in fact, mean Koh.

Toothless

Hey, I love Avatar: The Last Airbender, but I'm not sure if I should stick around here, just because I still haven't watched Korra Book 3 and 4. I'm planning on catching up this summer and I haven't been majorly spoiled, so I doubt using this thread for my otherwise huge Avatar fandom is a good idea...

Jacob

I like the fanfic discussion suggestion (though hopefully it can remain less lewd than some previous fan art discussions have xP). This goes against Veelk's continuation fanfic recommendation, but Rufftoon's Water Tribe comic was recommended to me in the rewatch thread and is pretty amazing.

There's already a continuation fanfic that's been given official status, it's called "The Promise". /s

Hey, I love Avatar: The Last Airbender, but I'm not sure if I should stick around here, just because I still haven't watched Korra Book 3 and 4. I'm planning on catching up this summer and I haven't been majorly spoiled, so I doubt using this thread for my otherwise huge Avatar fandom is a good idea...

Hey Toothless, good to see you in here! These OTs tend to have unmarked spoilers for the entirety of both series, so if you're trying to remain unspoiled on the back half of TLOK, then you might want to tread carefully. But I hope that you'll keep us posted on your progress with Korra one way or another. :)

Veelk

Banned
I like the fanfic discussion suggestion (though hopefully it can remain less lewd than some previous fan art discussions have xP). This goes against Veelk's continuation fanfic recommendation, but Rufftoon's Water Tribe comic was recommended to me in the rewatch thread and is pretty amazing.

We haven't decided how we're picking the fanfics yet. I suggested a system, and if you want to use that for your choice, that's fine, but you're getting a little ahead of us. First we need to figure out how we're going to decide what to read. Then we'll decide what to read. Keep that link handy, but we can't start on it yet.

There's already a continuation fanfic that's been given official status, it's called "The Promise". /s

Nope. We're going off the shows alone, since that's one thing we can reasonably assume everyone watched. Also, continuation fanfics don't necessarily have to contradict the bullshit comics that should be ignored at all costs anyway.

Toothless

Hey Toothless, good to see you in here! These OTs tend to have unmarked spoilers for the entirety of both series, so if you're trying to remain unspoiled on the back half of TLOK, then you might want to tread carefully. But I hope that you'll keep us posted on your progress with Korra one way or another. :)

Alright! I feel like then I'll unsubscribe for now, but as I watch Korra, I'll pop in briefly with thoughts on each episode as I go along, like what I do in the rewatch thread. I've heard good things on Book 3 and 4 thankfully (Book 1 was great until the last few episodes and Book 2 scared me from Book 3 and 4) so I'm definitely looking forward into getting into them!

Jacob

Nope. We're going off the shows alone, since that's one thing we can reasonably assume everyone watched. Also, continuation fanfics don't necessarily have to contradict the bullshit comics that should be ignored at all costs anyway.

I was just being a jackass. I think I've made my opinions on the continuation comics known through various rants in the older OTs. I've read actual fanfics that I think did a better job than the official comics.

Alright! I feel like then I'll unsubscribe for now, but as I watch Korra, I'll pop in briefly with thoughts on each episode as I go along, like what I do in the rewatch thread. I've heard good things on Book 3 and 4 thankfully (Book 1 was great until the last few episodes and Book 2 scared me from Book 3 and 4) so I'm definitely looking forward into getting into them!

Sounds like a good idea! Book 3 is probably the highlight of the show, though i wasn't as fond of Book 4 as some people here were.

Kinvara

Thanks for the OT, Trey.

You just gotta add this to the OT tho:

6N76bG6.png

Gafaang away.

If you want me to do some more graphics or redo the current ones, just send me a PM.

I hope one day nickelodeon releases all of Avatar and Legend of Korra in one collection. That would be awesome but I doubt it will ever happen :/

We just weren't talking about anything Korra related. It was just general discussion at that point, which was nice, but it's not what the thread was made for and them's the breaks.
Yep. Is Veelk really going to force us to read PG fanfics? I only read the slutty Korvira ones.

Vylash

glad to see this go up, i was p sad when the korra thread got locked

any news on the korra follow up novels?

Jacob

Oh man, I hadn't heard about that. Hope they aren't chapter books like previous ones from this franchise have been.

Hamlet

Nice OT Trey.
Wait, those are a thing? Are they graphic novels like the ones for ATLA? Or just speculation?

Just speculation at this point I think. Only Korra thing in the future that we're definitely getting is the Book 4 Art Book later this year.

Veelk

Banned
Yep. Is Veelk really going to force us to read PG fanfics? I only read the slutty Korvira ones.

Only as a community thing. Whatever you masturbate to on your own time is your business.

So is everyone cool with the format I suggested or do we need to make changes?

Jacob

i specifically remember them saying more avatar comics were in the works, though maybe they meant the last airbender and not korra

I know there are at least one or two more Gene Yang/Gurihiru comics in the works. IIRC Yang has indicated that he'd like to cover the Gaang at a later point in their life, and there might be a time skip after the next major comic (Smoke and Shadow). Whether they're planning any Korra tie-ins though I haven't heard.

Two days and only 30 posts? This community is struggling. That 2 week break or so really crippled us.

Sadly that happens to a lot of fan communities once the show/movie/whatever that they're about ends. The old thread was largely kept alive by non-Avatar discussions, but since the mods put their foot down, I hope that semi-planned discussions like the fanfic idea can help keep this thread active. Although the rewatch thread lost a lot of people after the first few episodes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sadly that happens to a lot of fan communities once the show/movie/whatever that they're about ends. The old thread was largely kept alive by non-Avatar discussions, but since the mods put their foot down, I hope that semi-planned discussions like the fanfic idea can help keep this thread active. Although the rewatch thread lost a lot of people after the first few episodes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In my defense I got really busy and a girlfriend. Most of my non girlfriend time gets put into Bloodborne. Avatar was definitely a victim of circumstances.

Jacob

In my defense I got really busy and a girlfriend. Most of my non girlfriend time gets put into Bloodborne. Avatar was definitely a victim of circumstances.

I wasn't trying to criticize anyone; my activity in the rewatch thread has fallen off somewhat too, and obviously this is all just a hobby and shouldn't be a priority over important IRL stuff. Speaking of which, congratulations. ;)

I wasn't trying to criticize anyone; my activity in the rewatch thread has fallen off somewhat too, and obviously this is all just a hobby and shouldn't be a priority over important IRL stuff. Speaking of which, congratulations. ;)
Don't worry I wasn't taking offense to anything, just saying that life happens. I'll get back to rewatching it one day, and thanks.

Toa TAK

Banned
There's a severe lack of Kuvira here. You guys call this a community thread? Where's the community? Why wasn't I told? You know how far back this thread is?

I'll fix this:

tumblr_norlie7hUw1smf3t2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_ngcdsvAaAr1stlhs1o1_540.jpg

kuvira_by_jenros-d84q81o.png

I still may be going through some shit, but you all can't get rid of me that easy.

One half of the Kuvira Shipping and Simping Force... FeenixRising reporting.

*waits on the other half*

The other half already posted a sweet ass collection of Kuvira fan art.

I just seen that, that's Terra-7s art based on Beech27's "Republic City Blues" AU fan fic.

I'm still a Rin-trash stan... well me and Zelda Williams. I can just imagine she enjoyed that beautiful piece of Korvira art Rin did for me a while ago. Ain't that right Toa?

I just seen that, that's Terra-7s art based on Beech27's "Republic City Blues" AU fan fic.

I'm still a Rin-trash stan... well me and Zelda Williams. I can just imagine she enjoyed that beautiful piece of Korvira art Rin did for me a while ago. Ain't that right Toa?
Is that fic good?

Top Bottom