• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

barik

IMG_0814.jpg

Working on some old night goblins, I might make a full mordheim-style warband out of them, not sure yet.

In other news, I put it off for a really long time, but I finally caved in and made a wet palette, and holy shit it is every bit as amazing as people are saying. Can't recommend it enough.

barik

Thanks man! I initially went with it because I'm just not a huge fan of green as a color, but thematically I think it also fits them to look like they've never been in direct sunlight.

Thanks man! I initially went with it because I'm just not a huge fan of green as a color, but thematically I think it also fits them to look like they've never been in direct sunlight.

They look really unique. I think the colors would play well off any allies you would choose to include or ally with. They look nice and distinct with the grey.

I haven't painted orks since Bloodbowl 1.0. I remember enjoying the green skin tones though. I always lean towards bright and cartoonish when I paint, and they was easy to make their skin pop.

When I do my ork kill team, my leader will be painted like a black orc, the boys green, and the yufs will be a much lighter green. It should help further separate them on the tabletop as well.

Nazo

How chrome are you wanting? Do you have a want that reflective mirror-like chrome? If so you are pretty out of luck as far as brush on acrylics. Vallejo has a nice bright silver called chrome but doesn't have that mirror like finish. Vallejo Liquid Silver from the Liquid Gold line would be closer but still not mirror like, but that's an alcohol based paint and can be difficult to work with.

There may be an enamel or something used more in the modeling world that's closer but I'm not really up to date with what goes on in scale modeling these days. Unless you are really set on a mirror like finish I would just go with the brightest silver you can easily find.

Aww, I was hoping to get a nice reflective sheen. I guess I'll go with just a bright silver then. I'll try and experiment with the recipe I had in mind and maybe I'll come close to what I want.

Thanks for the tips though!

Faiz

I think Chrome can only be done with an airbrush.

Yeah airbrushing Alclad was what I was thinking of from scale modeling but had to search later for details. It's not something I would recommend anyone to try on miniature details like power arm trim.

Bradach

never mind. can't get a picture to work. it was a funny picture showing games workshop and something like upon visiting this place you are immediately separated from all your money

It's not much to look at yet, but I'm making some progress on my first ever Imperial Knight :D Mostly just base colours right now, need to tidy up the metal trim areas and then work on edge highlighting and stuff. Then I'll see how to do the heraldry...

It's not much to look at yet, but I'm making some progress on my first ever Imperial Knight :D Mostly just base colours right now, need to tidy up the metal trim areas and then work on edge highlighting and stuff. Then I'll see how to do the heraldry...

I see you've cast a Magic card in order to get that color scheme

nice

Bradach

Looks great. Well done

Can I ask how you done the brass like pipes either side of the head? Is it a sliver base with brass drybrush?

How's everyone doing, hobby vise?

Me, not so great. Usually after a day's work when our is asleep and I have my "own time", setting up a paint station (my former paint station is now a diaper changing station lol) and starting to work on some minis does not really cross my mind. Usually it's thirty minutes of video games and then collapse to bed for daddy.

Other than that, for Warhammer 40k, I'm pretty much waiting for the 8th edition to drop to see what I'm going to do next. I'd really like to expand my Tyranid army, looks like 8th edition might be a bit kinder to them than 7th. Not sure about my Ultramarines as of yet. The new true scale marines worry me because I'm not sure if I can stand looking at my "squats" now if / when I get the new minis (which look awesome!).

My Horus Heresy project is on hold before I see what happens. The same issue with older scale marines worries me with 30k too.

And I actually did buy some new Circle minis, because I got Warpborn Skinwalkers unit, Kaya and some doggos for a very good price. Might paint them up at some point because fur is fun to paint.

Brakke

Banned
I was real slow for a long stretch since Christmas, but finishing the big stone guy has me excited to get back into playing Circle and that's put me back on track. Doing up Loki and a couple druids right now to use in some new lists. I'm painting twice a week for the last several. Feels good.

Helps that sunlight is holding out later and later.

Mikeside

How's everyone doing, hobby vise?

Me, not so great. Usually after a day's work when our is asleep and I have my "own time", setting up a paint station (my former paint station is now a diaper changing station lol) and starting to work on some minis does not really cross my mind. Usually it's thirty minutes of video games and then collapse to bed for daddy.

Other than that, for Warhammer 40k, I'm pretty much waiting for the 8th edition to drop to see what I'm going to do next. I'd really like to expand my Tyranid army, looks like 8th edition might be a bit kinder to them than 7th. Not sure about my Ultramarines as of yet. The new true scale marines worry me because I'm not sure if I can stand looking at my "squats" now if / when I get the new minis (which look awesome!).

My Horus Heresy project is on hold before I see what happens. The same issue with older scale marines worries me with 30k too.

And I actually did buy some new Circle minis, because I got Warpborn Skinwalkers unit, Kaya and some doggos for a very good price. Might paint them up at some point because fur is fun to paint.

I'm in a perfect storm of "I've bought too many different things" and "I'm getting married in a week"

So I don't really have the time to paint anything & even if I did I wouldn't have any idea what to paint first!

I've painted 2 Tyranid warriors in different color schemes and do not like either of them. Looks like I'll go back to orks and rethink my bugs.

RMI

Banned
haven't had much time for hobby lately but did finish this off a little while ago, my first ever completed tank, a deimos vindicator. will probably go back to it and put some decals on later.

I also managed to escape the shackles of fatherhood and weekend work a few weeks ago for a 40k event where they let me bring my 30k death guard. here they are facing off against Eldar with a wraith knight.

It was a fun event. Looking forward to see how 8th edition goes and if it will be easy to just port my heresy era stuff over to 40k using an existing army list, or if I should just dust off the piles of unpainted tyranid models I have and hope they don't suck like they have for a while.

Nazo

So uh

using citadel paints

Is it important to use the Base Coat paints? I think I fucked up and used a Layer paint for a base...

Depends. Brighter colors will definitely need basecoats. Otherwise you'll find yourself doing a million coats, to only have the end result looking kind of clumpy and streaky.

If its a darker color you can get away with using a layer paint. You'll just have to do a few more layers than normal (with less of a danger of the problem stated above).

I forget which video it was but I do remember Warhammer TV did a tip of the day were they used a layer as the primary base coat instead of actual base paint. So if Duncan says its OK I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Depends. Brighter colors will definitely need basecoats. Otherwise you'll find yourself doing a million coats, to only have the end result looking kind of clumpy and streaky.

If its a darker color you can get away with using a layer paint. You'll just have to do a few more layers than normal (with less of a danger of the problem stated above).

I forget which video it was but I do remember Warhammer TV did a tip of the day were they used a layer as the primary base coat instead of actual base paint. So if Duncan says its OK I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Ive been using Warpstone Green for some of my Marines and yeah, lots of coats have been the answer.

I did try finding a brightish Green color for a base coat, but most of the base options are dark green.

Nazo

Ive been using Warpstone Green for some of my Marines and yeah, lots of coats have been the answer.

I did try finding a brightish Green color for a base coat, but most of the base options are dark green.

The base paints they have are kind of dark for a reason. They are designed to work in conjunction with layer paints so when you apply the layer paints you get a brighter and richer color as the end result.

Honestly, the brightest green base coat of the citadel paints is probably Waaagh! Flesh. Though it is still a tad dark but still brighter than both Castellan Green and Caliban Green.

The base paints they have are kind of dark for a reason. They are designed to work in conjunction with layer paints so when you apply the layer paints you get a brighter and richer color as the end result.

Honestly, the brightest green base coat of the citadel paints is probably Waaagh! Flesh. Though it is still a tad dark but still brighter than both Castellan Green and Caliban Green.

Hmm

Ill try that with my termies..

manfestival

If I want to paint a certain brighter color. You should I be putting a base coat that is dark or should I just do the brightest base coats there is and then put the layer of the real bright color that I want?

RMI

Banned
^ cool Death Guard up there!

thanks!

The skin on your goblins looks great.

I'm going to take a break from painting 30k stuff for a bit and paint up some Battletech minis, but waiting for paints to come in the mail (my local hobby shop doesn't carry the line of paints I like, unfortunately).

barik

Thanks for the compliments guys! Love those dwarves, though I guess that name has been phased out?

If I want to paint a certain brighter color. You should I be putting a base coat that is dark or should I just do the brightest base coats there is and then put the layer of the real bright color that I want?

I think with most colors it's easiest to work from the middle color out. So say I want to paint something where the bright color is scorpion green:

I would start by layering that color over a white basecoat, usually two thin layers if it's a brighter color. Then shade or glaze that with the same color but darker, which in this case would be a middle green. Then give that a broad highlight that with scorpion green, and give it a final highlight of scorpion green plus white (or offwhite or yellow, depending on the color). This way you give the color the depth it needs, but from a distance it will still come across as scorpion green, because it's been in the middle the entire time, if that makes sense.

Tyranid Alpha for my kill team. The mini Swarm Lord!

IMG_9049.jpg

Took me awhile to pose this bugger, but I am really happy with the results. He looks like a whirlwind of death. I have a plan for a cool base for him as well.

Color scheme is still up in the air, but I hit Hobby Lobby yesterday and grabbed about 20 paints that really inspired me. We'll see if I can pull off what I have in mind. Remember that if this color does not work, it will be my third strike!

Tyranid Alpha for my kill team. The mini Swarm Lord!

IMG_9049.jpg

Took me awhile to pose this bugger, but I am really happy with the results. He looks like a whirlwind of death. I have a plan for a cool base for him as well.

Color scheme is still up in the air, but I hit Hobby Lobby yesterday and grabbed about 20 paints that really inspired me. We'll see if I can pull off what I have in mind. Remember that if this color does not work, it will be my third strike!

Oh man, that looks sick! What base model is that? Or is it literally a Tyranid Alpha? Ima have to get one..one of my buddies is going to paint and sell me 6 tyranid warriors for $40, so Ima start looking into collecting more Tyranids.

That is straight from the tyranid warrior kit. Everything on him is right from the box. I have made him out to be the leader of a tyranid kill team for Shadow War. He's going to have 2 squad mates, whose composition is still undetermined at the moment. Firepower is very important in the game, but tyranids really lack the numbers to put out large amounts of effective shooting. I'm considering doubling down on that and just making 3 close combat monsters to put the fear of god into who ever I play. Things like flesh hooks help them climb around easily too. With the right evolutions, they should be able to get to grips with the enemy faster than any other army in the game. However, they're also big and easy to hit too. Its gonna be interesting!

All the tyranid sprues have mega synergy. You can mix and match parts from every single unit type. It is very impressive how they were all designed.

Extremely early test of what I'm going to try and do. I used one of my failed color schemes as a test for the idea of a shiny, irredentist look for the carapace. Once fully painted the model will be sealed with matte, then the carapace and anything else I want to look wet will be hit with a high gloss paint on varnish. I also want to add drool and other gross after effects after the matte seal is finished. I'm trying lots of new things at once and any single one of them could ruin the model, lol. Anyway, here is a very rough "first draft". I think I could hit this with a black wash and add some depth to the effect. As it stands now, if the light hits it just right, there are about 7 different metallic colors in the carapace.

IMG_9050.jpg

That is straight from the tyranid warrior kit. Everything on him is right from the box. I have made him out to be the leader of a tyranid kill team for Shadow War. He's going to have 2 squad mates, whose composition is still undetermined at the moment. Firepower is very important in the game, but tyranids really lack the numbers to put out large amounts of effective shooting. I'm considering doubling down on that and just making 3 close combat monsters to put the fear of god into who ever I play. Things like flesh hooks help them climb around easily too. With the right evolutions, they should be able to get to grips with the enemy faster than any other army in the game. However, they're also big and easy to hit too. Its gonna be interesting!

All the tyranid sprues have mega synergy. You can mix and match parts from every single unit type. It is very impressive how they were all designed.

Oic. Thats sick then!

Top Bottom