• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

BFIB

The first page isn't the same without AJs "This is bullshit I just got the iPhone 6S a week ago!"

Man, I was gonna go smaller with the next iPhone I got since I've been rocking a 6+ since launch, but dem dual cameras look hot.

X-Frame

I mean this would be an absolute no brainer if the stupid 2nd speaker was instead the headphone jack. I just don't understand it.

I'll wait for impressions and reviews and otherwise upgrade from my 6 Plus to the 6S Plus, both 128 GB even though I would love 256.

Will stick with my 6 for another year.

Hope the regular 8 has the dual camera.

You'll be waiting 2 years if the 8 is your target. the "S" would be next year, assuming a consistent rotation.

I'm also trying to decide whether it's worth moving away from my 6+. Feeling kinda meh, tbqh.

Schlorgan

Cowardly-Lions-medal.jpg
Perfect.

Also, lol at those screen resolutions
(My Turbo 2 is 2560x1440, and it has a headphone jack).
XD

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You'll be waiting 2 years if the 8 is your target. the "S" would be next year, assuming a consistent rotation.

I'm also trying to decide whether it's worth moving away from my 6+. Feeling kinda meh, tbqh.

With next year being the 10th anniversary people are rumoring the iPhone 8 as a complete redesign. No "S" year.

border

Will cases made for the iPhone 6 and 6S work with this model? Or are we going to need a new round of cases?

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!

Been rumors that next year will be the 8.

The 7 feels like a 6s again. Very similar design.

It seems kind of stupid to have this beautiful piano black like finish on a phone only to tell people to put a case on it because it scuffs easily.

No headphone jack like the rumors have been telling since early this year. It's going to piss off a lot of casual users for sure, and hopefully Apple will feel the heat and bring it back on the next iPhone.

hamchan

Seems the least immediately impressive new numbered version of the iPhone at first glance. Seeing as my 6S+ is still awesome I'm very happy to sit this generation out when the benefits over what I have aren't there for the price. Still not happy about the headphone jack situation too.

No headphone jack like the rumors have been telling since early this year. It's going to piss off a lot of casual users for sure, and hopefully Apple will feel the heat and bring it back on the next iPhone.
Apple will never ever backtrack on this. Wireless audio will only be better a year from now.

Considering how fragile the lightning port already is (seriously, I used to work at RadioShack and replaced at least 15 cables every day) I have my doubts that that dongle will be durable. Not to mention the thousands of dumbass kids who will lose them at school. All to make the damn thing a couple MM thinner.

Dumb move Apple, dumb fucking move. I hate to be that fucking guy, but I'm going to be that fucking guy - Steve would have never done this.

sangreal

from the verge:

Another thing I tried: the new home button, which uses a "taptic engine" to give you physical feedback when you press it — it's pressure sensitive too, so it can tell if you really mean to press it or just tap it. And it's awful. On a MacBook trackpad, you get this uncanny feeling that you're actually hitting a button. On the iPhone, the whole bottom of the phone just sort of "kicks." It's not bad haptics like you remember, with weird vibration, it's just a new kind of bad haptics. It doesn't feel like a button at all. It's a bummer.

one of my bigger post-announcement fears

giga

It seems kind of stupid to have this beautiful piano black like finish on a phone only to tell people to put a case on it because it scuffs easily.
Yeah if Steve were here he would have said to own your micro abrasions like the ones on your most played records. He must be rolling in his grave.

Danchi

I think we'll have heard the worst of it by the time it actually comes out to be honest. Give it a few days for the bloggers to publish the numerous articles they've already written about how terrible it is.

For the truly casual buyers--the people whose contracts have now expired and will go into the store knowing next to nothing about the device--they'll just use the headphones that come in the box like always.

"Oh, it goes in this hole instead? Weird." Then they'll start playing with the new camera tricks or talk about how iMessage looks like Snapchat now or any other of the features that "normal people" actually care about.

The fucking balls Apple has, they just made millions of headphones absolutely useless by bundling in a dongle you can use to plug your old headphones into.

Why don't they think of the lightning pods?

kaskade

Think I'm going with the matte black version. I was tempted to go with the white one but I like the darker metal look on this version. I'd probably just get whatever 128gb they have in stock though minus the rose gold. I'm pumped to try out that dual camera.

dc89

^^ Matte for me.

The Verge have a little hands on video and damn, that Jet Black sure is a finger print magnet.
I would also wonder how durable the finish is because screw shiny black surfaces which scratch easy.

border

They will absolutely backtrack on this. In a years time they will be talking about how the next iphone will have it return.

I think sales would have to be absolutely disastrous for them to backtrack. I can't recall the last time Apple ever really flip-flopped on removing an older technology and then putting it back into a product.

Jeffrey

lol from the verge.

DSC_1217-verge.0.jpg

no wonder apple has the fine print for this warning about scratches.

Like wtf.

Has there been a 'numbered' apple device with so many caveats?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How does the pricing for the upgrade program work in the US? trying to guess if it would be affordable in the UK.

Pricing is a joke, but that's probably down to the stupid exchange rate. The supposedly cheaper 'old' 6S is the same price it was last year when new, and the 7 is £100 more expensive

Top Bottom