• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 |OT| No More Half Measures - March 18th on Netflix

Pachimari

I currently have these in my basket:

• Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #3 (Frank Miller)
  • Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #4 (Frank Miller)
  • Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #5 (Frank Miller)
  • Daredevil: Born Again Collection

I see Bendis' run is only available from #26 and up on ComiXology?

TheOddOne

- Sepinwall: Review: More isn't more as Punisher and Elektra join 'Daredevil' season 2.
Superhero movie sequels often suffer from the disease of more: more villains, more costumed sidekicks, more (and bigger) explosions, etc. Some of this comes from an understandable desire to top what the audience saw in the original movie, but often it seems to arise from a fear that the superhero at the center of it all is kinda boring, and needs to be surrounded by as many colorful allies and rogues as possible.
But there's just too much flab(*) — too many characters and subplots, and too many scenes that run on and on for no particular reason — on top of the unmistakable blandness of the guy in the red(ish) costume, for Daredevil to feel as satisfying so far this season. Every now and then, there will be a great moment, like the aforementioned Punisher monologue, or Henson's Foggy calming down a violent situation, but on the whole it's too unfocused to entirely work, and has to lean even more than before on the inherent charisma of its actors.

What's the opinion of Waid's run?

I love classic Daredevil but Waid's run is my favorite. At first it appears to be a bit lighter fare than what came before it, but it doesn't shy away from some heavy themes and it does not avoid putting characters through the ringer. There are some solid developments here, and in the beginning we get some pretty fun and swashbuckling DD action.

Plus, Chris Samnee's art is a phenomenal fit for the tone of the book. He was rightfully recognized with an Eisner for this book. It's beautiful throughout.

JTripper

Although I don't want to discount Sepinwall's opinion here, he did admit on a Channel 33 podcast recently that he had still to watch (most?) of Season 1. So I do get the impression he had to burn through that + the first 7 of Season 2 in relatively short order.

Seasons 1's mid section sagged a little but that was ok for me. Specifically episodes 4, 5 and 6 with the Russians, so I'm fine if this happens again in S2 because I still loved S1.

Still, these reviews are basically only reviews of only half the season, so there's still a lot to consider and take with a grain of salt which is why I'm pretty much staying away from any reviews until the show drops. They all seem to be saying either the same thing or are just really general since they can't go into specifics or know how the season actually wraps up.

TheFlow

Banned
...Really?? Because of one review??

There is a dozen that is just singing praises of the show and you hang up on the one that say mediocre things about it...

lol right! If someone is so worried about reviews just wait 2 days and judge for themselves.

Pachimari

...Really?? Because of one review??

There is a dozen that is just singing praises of the show and you hang up on the one that say mediocre things about it...

lol right! If someone is so worried about reviews just wait 2 days and judge for themselves.

Hey. I said it doesn't sound good based on that one reviewers opinion. I'm still very much excited and have read the other very positive opinions. Relax.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
HYPE AND CHILLS

What are the chances this is being released early? Like...later in the afternoon? Or late at night?

its released at the same time as every netflix is. midnight pst (8am in uk)

KonradLaw

I guess they could have overstuffed the series in relation to complaints the first was dragged out?

I hope they did. Both DD and JJ suffered from way too many episodes. And this is superhero show, not some emotional art drama It's better if it moves fast and lots of stuff happens.

Houndi101

From the superherohype review

The bad news, however, is that punches are being pulled with The Punisher.

Some fans of the character like him because of the delightfully gruesome and creative ways that he takes down the bad guys. Some of that is certainly on display, but much of it is hidden away from. In lieu of showing a full assault like “The Punisher” movies have, the series opts to show you either the start of the carnage, the end of the bloodbath, or to place focus on a character that has no idea everyone around him is dying. That last one is a fun exercise, but if The Punisher isn’t acting like a tank in those moments where he can, it’s a letdown. The Punisher is a force of nature, which the series fully acknowledges in its opening episode with subtlety and nuance that shows producers Douglas Petrie & Marco Ramirez know what they have, but are seemingly hindered by standards & practices. The first season of Daredevil saw decapitation by car door and self-impalement on jagged glass, but The Punisher’s on-screen violence feels neutered. Maybe they’re saving the big strike for the season finale, or maybe their hands are tied.
http://www.superherohype.com/features/368049-here-comes-our-marvels-daredevil-season-2-review

The part right before it:

"The Punisher is at his most satisfying for an audience as an unstoppable killing machine, always five moves ahead. At his most interesting and nuanced, however, The Punisher is a fatally-flawed and broken individual that is two steps behind. The good news is that you get to have your cake and eat it too. When Bernthal isn’t laying waste to criminals, he’s tasked with delivering Shakespearean monologues, which he hits like a headshot.

KonradLaw

Daredevil is still Marvel show. It might be darker, but expecting Cinemax level of brutality would be silly. I'm sure they will make him threatening enough.

Houndi101

Hopefully during the Shakespearen monologues I can unhear Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin yelling "You can't protect them Rick!" in Shane-voice

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Well, this definitely snuck up on me. It's out friday, that's real soon. I know what I'll be doing this weekend

Pachimari

Charlie Cox explains how Daredevil season 2 prepares Matt Murdock for The Defenders

Seems like our devil have to learn to work together with others in preparation for the Defenders team:

“Something that’s very tricky for Matt is to allow anyone to help him. He finds it impossible to ask for help, for a number of reasons. One he doesn't want to endanger the people he loves, but also because he has an arrogance about him. A self-confidence and a belief I believe in his own invincibility, which is false.” Cox said. “One of the lessons that he’s going to have to learn this season is that he needs other people, he needs help, we all need help.”

They are going to have so much more time to build the team dynamic with 6 hours!

But for the record Matt does say "I can't do this on my own" in S1. Sounds like part of Daredevil will be acknowledging that. Trying to take down a Luke Cage level threat and getting Nobu'd.

Pachimari

He also says "I need to do this... my way" in the S2 trailer, which is something he probably needs to set aside if he is to cooperate with Jessica, Luke and Danny.

Pachimari

Charlie Cox: Daredevil would fit in with the Avengers.

"I was reading Civil War the other day, and Matt Murdock... is kind of an ass. He's in the back, standing around grumpy a lot of the time, and every now and again, he just says ‘Well, we're not doing that' or something to that effect, and I'm like, ‘That's the character, we're fine.' So tonally, with Matt I think we’re right on point and he’d be a perfect fit in the larger MCU."

When asked who he thinks Daredevil would have a great on-screen relationship with, he answered: "Black Widow."

Researching S1 and man these guys have laid down plot threads expertly.

The whole struggle with killing, the Hand... Really looking forward to Friday.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Charlie Cox: Daredevil would fit in with the Avengers.

When asked who he thinks Daredevil would have a great on-screen relationship with, he answered: "Black Widow."

3019370-tumblr_m8jorpuu0e1rz1rzuo1_500.png

Top Bottom