• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive EVE online battle, 10 hours, 2000 players, 57 dead titans.

I don't think we have a real accurate picture of who lost what yet, but the 85 being thrown around is for both but expect that to rise.

N3/PL lost a few hours into the fight. The rest of it was making Goonswarm bleed. Once you commit to a fight like this, you're in it for the long haul. Due to various game mechanics, you're essentially in the pitched battle until significant losses are seen.

Both sides lost a significant number of ships, but most importantly Goonswarm retains sovereignty in the system and has a foothold in the region.

Joco

EVE Online is incredibly intriguing to me. But I think I'm better off just reading about it than actually trying to learn how to play it.

Not with the industry in its current state. Mainstream publishers don't want to fund anything that seems remotely as hardcore/complex as Eve. Though with games like Eve, Day Z and Dark Souls recently getting popular it we might see some movement, but I don't know of any games like Eve currently in development.

Not a fucking chance. Publishers look at those games and turn their noses. None of those games have sold millions, none have the mass market appeal. To publishers those games are small niche titles.

TyrantII

N3/PL lost a few hours into the fight. The rest of it was making Goonswarm bleed. Once you commit to a fight like this, you're in it for the long haul. Due to various game mechanics, you're essentially in the pitched battle until significant losses are seen.

Both sides lost a significant number of ships, but most importantly Goonswarm retains sovereignty in the system and has a foothold in the region.

Basically there no way to escape without taking very heavy loses.

Has there ever been a formation or plan that worked to retreat and regroup without being decimated while doing so?

Kyzon

This music has me so hype and I have no idea what's going on!

I have a question though. Are people spending $3000 on titans? Like real actual money? @_@

Minion101

Banned
2 powers fighting in a battle of attrition with massive losses? It's Stalingrad.

tumblr_msf1usnlXB1s4z30oo1_500.jpg

I have a question though. Are people spending $3000 on titans? Like real actual money? @_@

Some people do. Others spend more then the equivalent in time at minimum wage making the required ingame currency.

Has there ever been a formation or plan that worked to retreat and regroup without being decimated while doing so?

The bubbles you see in all the screenshots prevent warping or jumping. Your ships need to be clear of the bubbles to leave. Titans move at a mind boggling speed of ~100m/s (slower than a sleeping turtle). It takes a lot of setup and coordination to get the important ships clear, so it's important to clear off the majority of people actually killing you so you can at least salvage a portion of your capitals.

Orayn

They're spending in-game money, which can be used to buy PLEX, which is an item that lets you pay your monthly subscription, which CAN be bought with real money.

They only way to retreat is to clear all the bubbles which prevent warps and jumps. Supercaps are too slow to effectively move out of them and with time dilation reinforcing tackle ships comes in faster then they can be killed because they travel most of the way through systems that are running at normal speed. The only ships getting out are the lucky ones who drift out of bubbles for a short period of time.

This was an all in battle with both sides knowing barring a server crash, which happens more often then not, it was either win or be annihilated.

TyrantII

The bubbles you see in all the screenshots prevent warping or jumping. Your ships need to be clear of the bubbles to leave. Titans move at a mind boggling speed of ~100m/s (slower than a sleeping turtle). It takes a lot of setup and coordination to get the important ships clear, so it's important to clear off the majority of people actually killing you so you can at least salvage a portion of your capitals.

So no.

I wonder how a game like Eve would do with dropping the phase weapons and just dealing with Newtonian armaments. BSG type battles would be something I'd love to jump in right away.

Flak perimeters, nukes, cannons and missiles and high to low caliber projectiles. Seems like it open up a lot combat options, where in Eve it's more all about ship/weapon matching / counter matching.

So no.

I wonder how a game like Eve would do with dropping the phase weapons and just dealing with Newtonian armaments. BSG type battles would be something I'd love to jump in right away.

Flak perimeters, nukes, cannons and missiles and high to low caliber projectiles. Seems like it open up a lot combat options, where in Eve it's more all about ship/weapon matching / counter matching.

Every shiptype in EVE has its own weapon types and sizes. Drones, projectiles, smartbombs, missiles, lasers, and untold others. It depends on what you're doing in what kind of ship. Sometimes you want a covert operation with cloaked torpedo ships. Sometimes you want some unprobable sniper battlecruisers with artillery.

Milennia

That was PL after losing the single most expensive ship in the history of the game. A rare supercarrier that's mostly mediocre in terms of stats was lost to a bait.

This guy is raging his head off and everyone else is like yeah its pretty funny that we just lost this thing to a bait... Lets go play some chivalry lol.

The amount of resources and ships going into this battle is unbelievable.

And every single piece of material to build those ships on the field is player mined / processed.

Every single ship is player made ( a few may be gifts or something ) Hell every weapon fired on a ship is player made ( well I guess some if those are found, but few. )

The economy of Eve will go haywire from this too

GoaThief

Loving the Goonswarm ads in chat, "Recruiting for the Premier Supercarrier Slaying Corp, join today"

There's going to be some serious rage going on in leader chats.

Zona

Only 200,000. I bet these titans would had costed a million in real life.

Ignoring things like the warp drive Titans are supposed to be several kilometers in length. To build one in reality would most likely require the full GDP of the USA as a minimum.

Steel

Banned
And every single piece of material to build those ships on the field is player mined / processed.

Every single ship is player made ( a few may be gifts or something ) Hell every weapon fired on a ship is player made ( well I guess some if those are found, but few. )

The economy of Eve will go haywire from this too

I'm actually very curious about the cost in ISK that this battle will rally up. It's probably a sum that one person couldn't hope to gain after a lifetime of playing the game.

Minion101

Banned
Can I read about this somewhere ... cause 10 hours in I'm missing the full picture.

here
Ok little Tommy this is what's happening.
Team A had a house in space, they forgot to pay rent. So they got kicked out of their house. Now anyone could come and move in.
So Team B gathered up all their big ships with big giant guns and went to move in.
However Team A brought all their big ships and guns to try and reclaim their house.
Currently both teams are shooting eachother and blowing eachother up over this house.
Team B appears to be facefucking Team A at the moment.

It should be mentioned that Team B owning Team A's house means that they can keep Team A from accessing it at all, meaning everything Team A has stored there is locked up out of their reach.

To extend on this, Team A's house also contained a warehouse of spaceships, spaceship parts and a fully stocked spaceship superstore all of which is inaccessible if Team B owns the house.

That's so uninteresting to look at because it's so zoomed out. Never did like the way this game plays.

Small scale combat is more suitable to a zoomed in view. It's hard to get a closeup view in a massive battle due to the technical limitation in place. You need an incredibly powerful computer to see the battle and you limit the amount of information you're getting about the battle.

I'm actually very curious about the cost in ISK that this battle will rally up. It's probably a sum that one person couldn't hope to gain after a lifetime of playing the game.

Many Trillions. Hell tens of trillions.

This is years of hording being blown up lol.

Unless I'm wrong, couldn't this get a lot worse for PL and crew the later this gets? If Russians are on the CFC's side they tend to be able to come out near downtime a lot easier, right?

We are up to about 11 trillion isk in just titans at this point. Thats about 15x the losses at Asakai.

Steel

Banned
We are up to about 11 trillion isk in just titans at this point. Thats about 15x the losses at Asakai.

... Shit, and if 57 titans are dead I can only imagine how many smaller ships are gone. It's like watching countless hours of people's effort go up in smoke.

... Shit, and if 57 titans are dead I can only imagine how many smaller ships are gone. It's like watching countless hours of peoples effort go up in smoke.

Due to the size of the titans in the stream. Ships smaller than supercarriers are invisible. Hundreads of subcapitals were decimated throughout the day.

Jabba

Banned
Definitely. The point you need to take away though, is rather than the ships trading hands, the sovereignty of the system is the main concern. Having a foothold in the region is huge.

Is that system, rich in resources, a game wide trading point, a massive strategic striking point, a central access point or some/all of the above? If so, no wonder they went to war over it.

I meant region, KingGiddra, apologies.

Thanks KingGiddra, knew it had to be one or all/combination of them. How long would it take to set up that buffer to ensure final conquest and stability iyo? Leave a substantial force there and build some type of out post there also?

Just asking, as I don't know how eve would work.

Is that system, rich in resources, a game wide trading point, a massive strategic striking point, a central access point or some/all of the above? If so, no wonder they went to war over it.

It's a strategic point. You can use that system to invade areas around it and more quickly take over the region. I wouldn't say that area of space is resource rich, or even that good. Goonswarm already owns the "good" space. Now they're taking over their opponents space to end the war. A buffer satellite state would be installed here after all is said and done should Goonswarm finish the region.

Goonswarm entered the war for no reason other than they had nothing to do. The Russians were fighting N3 over the area months ago and Goonswarm decided to join. They really don't have much of a stake in it either way, just another opponent to tackle.

Top Bottom