• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the Vita but Sony should look into implementing SAVE STATE (I am not talking about save game). The PSP Go had it and it was a welcome feature.

The Vita should be able to save state across all games that would be instant golden win.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone try to take a printed ad into best buy and see if they will match it?

Word of advice, but probably won't matter, but do note that Best Buy does actually call the nearest store you're trying to price match, and verify if they actually have the stuff you want in stock. If its not there, they won't price match.

I doubt games will be sold out everywhere, but its good to know about their policy. I've seen people stand in line forever to get a price match, then get shot down because of the phone call.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
It's an HTML 5 issue.

Can't believe they're launching without Youtube support. Get the basics at least, Sony. Come on.

3DS doesn't have Youtube either.

Really, who cares? The browser sucks and if I'm going to use it, it's just going to be to hit up GameFAQs or another FAQ site for some game info.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Thanks for the info Paulink!
I ordered the black Hori TPU too ( was about to order it friday and now is out of stock :/ ).
Do you think when the TPU is fitted, the Vita will still fit in the pouch as seen on the pic below?

starter.jpg

Definitely, I don't think it will have a problem. The TPU doesn't add too much to the width of the vita. If anything it will just be a more snug fit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I pre-ordered Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus the other day on Amazon, and I went on today to check if it had shipped yet, and the estimated delivery date is the 27th. I have Prime and I have never not gotten a new game from them on release day. Has anyone had this happen to them? I am hoping it is just a mistake and it will still show up on the 22nd but if not I will cancel it and go out and pick it up somewhere.

I have the same thing. Looks like they are not getting release date delivery on it. Hard to understand why. They could not be getting their shipment from Tecmo, which I doubt...I dunno. Maybe they just don't give a shit.

Really, who cares? The browser sucks and if I'm going to use it, it's just going to be to hit up GameFAQs or another FAQ site for some game info.

I care. That's why I wrote what I wrote. 3DS doesn't have a nice screen that I'd ever want to watch videos on, and quite frankly I dont really enjoy playing games on it all that much. The Vita has a beautiful screen, so yeah I'd love to be able to pull up some game or music related content on my Vita instead of having to grab the iPad.

Nor has my Amazon order.

Nor will it until Tuesday. I love that about Amazon. They give you plenty of time to change your mind, then change it back etc etc. So people that are vacillating between 3G and Wifi-only can continue to create and cancel new orders for two more days. If their history is any indication, Vita orders will enter the shipping(no cancellation allowed) Tuesday morning, and then shipment notifications will be sent early Tuesday evening.

I care. That's why I wrote what I wrote. 3DS doesn't have a nice screen that I'd ever want to watch videos on, and quite frankly I dont really enjoy playing games on it all that much. The Vita has a beautiful screen, so yeah I'd love to be able to pull up some game or music related content on my Vita instead of having to grab the iPad.

Yeah, I'd much rather have a YouTube app instead of Facebook or Flickr at launch but I'm pretty sure they are working on it right now.
Hopefully it comes out pretty soon.

Cookie18

I know that not everybody has the same devices but is it not much easier to use the browser/search GameFAQs/search YouTube on a separate device? I for one will make the effort to find my iPad, phone, iPod, laptop or one of the many other things that are much easier and pleasant to use.

Surely everyone who is buying a Vita at launch has something in their house that can be sat by their side when playing games?

Cookie18

Nor will it until Tuesday. I love that about Amazon. They give you plenty of time to change your mind, then change it back etc etc. So people that are vacillating between 3G and Wifi-only can continue to create and cancel new orders for two more days. If their history is any indication, Vita orders will enter the shipping(no cancellation allowed) Tuesday morning, and then shipment notifications will be sent early Tuesday evening.

That is exactly right and your example is exactly what I did when changing my order up to the 3G Vita today ;)

Chorazin

I know that not everybody has the same devices but is it not much easier to use the browser/search GameFAQs/search YouTube on a separate device? I for one will make the effort to find my iPad, phone, iPod, laptop or one of the many other things that are much easier and pleasant to use.

Surely everyone who is buying a Vita at launch has something in their house that can be sat by their side when playing games?

Once they fix the browser so it can be used while a game is open, it'll be easier just to flip to the browser on the same device. I know I'm looking forward to being able to check Twitter while I game, even if my tablet and phone will be close by.

What happens when you start playing on a retail game card and then decide later you want the same game digitally through PSN?

I picked up the FEB, 32gb card, retail Uncharted and retail Wipeout, but now I'm thinking of going all digital from now on since it will probably fit my lifestyle better not switching those tiny cards on the go. I'll keep Uncharted as a game card, but if I rebuy Wipeout digitally what happens? Does it make another bubble on my home screen for the digital version? Will my save be seen by this new copy? Anyone done this?

Ken

What happens when you start playing on a retail game card and then decide later you want the same game digitally through PSN?

I picked up the FEB, 32gb card, retail Uncharted and retail Wipeout, but now I'm thinking of going all digital from now on since it will probably fit my lifestyle better not switching those tiny cards on the go. I'll keep Uncharted as a game card, but if I rebuy Wipeout digitally what happens? Does it make another bubble on my home screen for the digital version? Will my save be seen by this new copy? Anyone done this?

I'd have to assume it would detect that the WipEout bubble is already there and the digital copy would automatically use that?

metalshade

Well thats the reason I am buying a Vita, my wife likes to surf the net while watching a film, so she uses the laptop and the TV, which renders my Xbox completely useless to me %90 of the time, If I can use the Vita for nearly all my web and gaming needs, but still get access to my Xbox exclusives while she surfs on the Vita and watches films on the laptop, than I will be a very happy dude.

Tried the demo to Dungeon Hunter. It's shit.

I'm way behind in this thread, but regarding holding the vita so your fingers don't get all over the back touch pad:

KzFR3.jpg

so hold your hands like a gun (trigger finger out, lower three fingers curled in), curl your trigger finger along the side of the vita and rest the back of the vita on top of your curled middle finger. the grooves should more or less line up with the middle bone of the middle finger.

I find it more comfortable than with the fingers splayed across the back and way better than trying to hold it with your finger tips in the grooves.

Sorry if this was obvious, but quite a few people seemed to be having trouble holding it..

Yeah, that's how you're suppose to hold it. You got it right.

patsu

The latter versions of NetFront browser support audio/video tag. We'll have to wait for Sony and NetFront to work on a port. In fact, the Jan 2012 version also supports WebGL and WebSocket.

YouTube can be done as a separate app for now. Not sure what's holding them up. Then again, Sony's own Music and Video Unlimited services are not out on Vita yet too. Same for PS Suite for Vita. They are probably swarmed. There is a rumor about Sony offering a unified video service too. If true, YouTube may go under the new framework.

The Vita web browser is actually surprisingly good. However, there is no cut-and-paste and drag select support. There are also a few rendering bugs but overall, it's very usable. I like the advanced auto completion feature best. The larger screen and speed is nice too. I also use it to browse my favorite sites in bed. Prefer to use Vita than my 4S to conserve battery.

I'd have to assume it would detect that the WipEout bubble is already there and the digital copy would automatically use that?

Well that's what I was hoping and it makes most sense, but with the weird saves setup the Vita has I don't know how it will behave. Let's say you buy a game retail that doesn't require a memory card and then get that game digitally. One version saves to the game card the other to the memory stick. If it only has one bubble on the home screen, when loading a save game would it display all the saves available on the memory card and game card? I know wipeout doesn't do this and always saves to the memory stick, but it almost seems like the retail game would be distinguished from the digital version.

Mastperf

Because the browser shouldn't suck. The PS3 browser sucked and Sony should have hit a homerun with this one. A fully functional browser is easy to achieve on a device with this much ram and horsepower.

Best Buy price match successful.

Got Uncharted, Lumines, and UMvC3 for $75 after using a $20 reward zone certificate.

They are not carrying Rayman in stores.

Well that's what I was hoping and it makes most sense, but with the weird saves setup the Vita has I don't know how it will behave. Let's say you buy a game retail that doesn't require a memory card and then get that game digitally. One version saves to the game card the other to the memory stick. If it only has one bubble on the home screen, when loading a save game would it display all the saves available on the memory card and game card? I know wipeout doesn't do this and always saves to the memory stick, but it almost seems like the retail game would be distinguished from the digital version.

PM DCharlie. He will have the answer. I know he double dipped digital/retail on a few titles. (Don't ask, apparently)

Vinlaen

I just purchased Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Patapon 3 using my PS3 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 transferred to my Vita just fine, but Patapon 3 doesn't even show up in the Vita Content Manager.

What's going on? :(

patsu

It's more convenient to have seamless web browser multitasking support on Vita. I have already started to game in bed with Vita. Don't want to switch multiple devices around my bed.

I am pretty sure some people will game in the toilet too. I have seen that happening with my kid with an iPad. A good integrated browser is important.

Binabik15

Three. More. Days.

Then I should have my Wifi Vita, free 8 gig stick, Uncharted and Rayman. I'll order BlazBlue from the UK later today, only 20 pounds, nice.

Down the road I will get so, so many games. Best launch ever.

patsu

Because the browser shouldn't suck. The PS3 browser sucked and Sony should have hit a homerun with this one. A fully functional browser is easy to achieve on a device with this much ram and horsepower.

The Vita browser is good. There are some rough edges because the underlying GameOS lacks office features like cut-and-paste. There are also a few bugs but it is very usable. Sometimes faster than 4S. WebKit2 on iOS is not without its problems too.

I think it's a solid step forward. The question is whether and how fast Sony rev it.

EDIT: btw people who complained about slow browser speed in GameStop may want to run the Internet Connection Test on Vita first. It should be quite fast although there are some layout performance bug ocassionally.

qcf x2

Yeah, the browser sucks but it doesn't have to, nor should it. Asking for a decent browser & YouTube support in a $250 mobile/portable device in 2012 isn't exactly asking for the world. It's not a huge deal to me but at the same time it does come off as laziness.

...but I do expect they'll update it in due time. Priorities and all that.

The Vita browser is good. There are some rough edges because the underlying GameOS lacks office features like cut-and-paste. There are also a few bugs but it is very usable. Sometimes faster than 4S. WebKit2 on iOS is not without its problems too.

I think it's a solid step forward. The question is whether and how fast Sony rev it.

It would be pretty fast if it wasn't only up to SCEJ to update the FW.

I agree with people's sentiments here, needs a youtube app, as well as music, video unlimited app. A crackle app would be nice, since that is a nice service with good movies and tv shows for free, but the app might be exclusive to 360 for video game systems.

Darn. How come Valkyria Chronicles 2 worked then even though it wasn't on the official compatibility list? :(

THe official list here also doesn't list patapon 3

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/09/how-to-download-psp-titles-to-ps-vita/

There are however some games that are reported to not be in the official list of compatible PSP titles, but still do work. Threre is a (largely complete IIRC) list in the OP of this thread you should check out with games that are not officially compatible, yet are known to work in the vita --- Valkyrie chronicles 2 being one of them

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Best soft case? The official Sony one? Would like something super slim that also has a small area for games (even just a little pouch).

I headed out to my local Target this morning and they didn't have any Vita stuff anywhere. The guy told me they weren't putting anything out until Wednesday and to come back then.

I did take advantage of Best Buy's trade-in deal, though. I had bought FIFA 12 on Black Friday for $25 at Wal-Mart. I decided I'd rather have it on the Vita since I haven't really been playing it on the 360, so I traded it in towards Vita FIFA and got $28 for it after the bonus.

Best Buy price match successful.

Got Uncharted, Lumines, and UMvC3 for $75 after using a $20 reward zone certificate.

They are not carrying Rayman in stores.

Guess I will try getting a PM at BB, Target really dropped the ball on this one. Limited Selection, weird street dating on the sale, just doesn't make me want to even bother going in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom