• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC Detailed

StayDead

I'm anti-DLC, but if it's free at first, then whatever, I'm fine with it.

But it still makes no sense for a strategy game. How are you supposed to balance a game when you can recruit an extra 120 characters via SpotPass, unless they're all mediocre?

Maybe this works for an RPG where gameplay is second to story, but Fire Emblem is always gameplay first in my view. Is the game balanced to have one extra powerful character? Should I keep this in mind when choosing my difficulty? Or is using Marth like a cheat mode? Or does he suck, at which point... why bother?

It's because the game is balanced around weapons/classes. It's not balanced around individual characters.

Truth101

Banned
I'm anti-DLC, but if it's free at first, then whatever, I'm fine with it.

But it still makes no sense for a strategy game. How are you supposed to balance a game when you can recruit an extra 120 characters via SpotPass, unless they're all mediocre?

Maybe this works for an RPG where gameplay is second to story, but Fire Emblem is always gameplay first in my view. Is the game balanced to have one extra powerful character? Should I keep this in mind when choosing my difficulty? Or is using Marth like a cheat mode? Or does he suck, at which point... why bother?

I don't see how having extra characters as DLC would mess up with the balance of the game when the game is based on class and weapon development. Any character will suck if you never give them the time of day to be useful.

This just gives people the opportunity to have cameo of characters they enjoyed be in their army except random grubs they could care less about.

Victrix

*beard*
I think the game should gradually lock itself over time, so if you don't buy it in the first year, you have to buy it, then buy DLC that unlocks the entire game

Genius

MechaX

Besides, FE games always have a couple of broken characters normally unless they get RNG screwed (Look and Wolf and Sedgar in Shadow Dragon). And given the deployment limit, you're probably just going to use your favorites anyway.

It's because the game is balanced around weapons/classes. It's not balanced around individual characters.

To further explain this, in Fire Emblem games the numbers for stats are rather low. Even in Radiant Dawn, the highest powered game in the series, had a Max Stat cap of 40. In most ones its 30. Also, not every unit can reach that cap. Most classes cap at 25 usually for most stats. Weapons are also similarly simple. With attack just being "Attack Stat + Weapon power" To top it off, Stat gains are semi randomly based off the character.

The only way that a DLC character could break the game is if they had absurd Stat growths and higher Stat caps then normal units.

In my days, DLC were called "unlockables" or "cheats".[/grumpy grandpa]

Pretty much. I'm more concerned that DLC gives companies an excuse to publish unfinished games with the purpose of fixing them afterwards. But I am aware this is an unpopular opinion.

Video games are dead to me again.

Nintendo has already given the opinion on this and has said that these DLC are to extend gameplay and that the DLC has nothing to do with the game cart's storyline. They did not purposely take it out of the game, like how other companies are doing. I doubt these DLC characters are gonna be overpowered, more than likely they will be balanced out. PataHikari, explains it better XD.

This isn't shaping up to be my kind of tactics game. Too many RPG elements and grinding, unnecessary DLC splitting up the playerbase, etc.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Every Fire emblem topic that isn't announcing NA release makes me more depressed.

Don't you dare not pick this up, NoA.

I don't think this game has multiplayer.

It applies to single player, as well. I'm not concerned about multiplayer as that's always been a mess and there are far better alternatives that aren't Fire Emblem. I don't see why anyone bothered with it in the first place (aside from being blindly obsessed with Fire Emblem).

vareon

This isn't shaping up to be my kind of tactics game. Too many RPG elements and grinding, unnecessary DLC splitting up the playerbase, etc.

I don't understand this...where is the "too many" RPG elements and grinding? Why did the DLC splits userbase? What is etc?

For reference here are previous Famitsu scores from the series:
  • Shadow Dragon - 34
  • Radiant Dawn - 33
  • Path of Radiance - 34
  • The Sacred Stones - 35
  • Blazing Sword - 34
  • Sword of Seals - 36
  • Thracia 776 - 35
  • Genealogy of the Holy War - 31
  • Mystery of the Emblem - 36

This makes me very very sad :(

And this is the way DLC should be handled, as a free reward to gamers who buy the game early on when it's new. Heck if you're quick enough you could still probably get it used 5-10 dollars cheaper and still get free DLC if you have the patience to hunt though various Gamestops a week or two after the game is out.

Free DLC for early buyers is great. It's a Nintendo game so waiting for that price drop to happen is a bit pointless, even more so with FE. It'll more or less retain it's value for the next few years and be nigh impossible to find in stores after launch. It should be a day one purchase regardless.

kunonabi

Well this alleviates my fears about Nintendo DLC. I was worried about DLC replacing spotpass but Nintendo at the very least seems to be using both. I wouldn't be surprised if Third parties just drop spotpass all together though. So far I'm really loving Nintendo's stance on DLC.

McNum

Hmmm... seeing all the animation for the classes is kind of disappointing. Seems like there's around 5 or so templates inserted into various classes instead of each class having their own animation.
On the positive side, I think the Trickster was Anna. First glimpse of Anna in action.

TreIII

Same here. Buy the game at release and the DLC is free for a limited time.

Yeah. It does more to seem like an extension of what they've been doing with Pokemon games the last few years (free episodic content, free PKMN and etc.). Offer downloads for the good shit while it's free and available -> free hype, which may only do more to generate even more sales.

On the other hand, with this new plan, if you miss out on the DLC when it was free, you can still buy in to get it, if it means that much to you.

It's a good foundation. I just think most people, especially in the West, are waiting to see what Nintendo will do with this strategy, when it inevitably comes to "bigger" brands like Mario, Smash Bros. and the like.

NeonZ

So, this basically confirms that masked Marth isn't Marth? On the other hand, I guess not completely, considering how they've redesigned classic Marth to make him look identical to the masked one, aside from the lack of mask... Maybe Masked Marth is some kind of (undead?) ancient Marth while DLC Marth is taken straight out of his living days.

In my days, DLC were called "unlockables" or "cheats".[/grumpy grandpa]

Pretty much. I'm more concerned that DLC gives companies an excuse to publish unfinished games with the purpose of fixing them afterwards. But I am aware this is an unpopular opinion.

Video games are dead to me again.

I must have missed the days Fire Emblem featured extra characters from previous titles, completely separate from the main story, as "unlockables". They're clearly using DLC (and spot pass) here to do things that the series usually didn't do.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Andriasang is saying that the Japanese Club Nintendo is getting an Awakening soundtrack CD - 400 coins, or 250 coins if you register the game within the first few month, just like with that Kid Icarus CD.

Nohar

For reference here are previous Famitsu scores from the series:
  • Genealogy of the Holy War - 31

Seriously ?...

Anyway, I guess that I'm "fine" with the approach of this DLC character... But I'm still cautious... And I won't buy any DLC at all in any case.

Someone posted an interesting point about this game on Serenesforest. The marriage mechanic could potentially get butchered or make it avoid NA all together. The character Nono is the "underaged" character of this game. She's probably really old by dragon standards, but looks and behaves like a 10 year old. This is a game with a marriage mechanic where you have children. The simplest solution is of course Nono being a no no for marriage. That would toss the entire issue out the window. If not... well that's another obstacle for NA release.

BurntPork

Banned
$3 for one character, and nobody's complaining? What? I'm really disappointed that Nintendo's basically pulling the same crap as the rest of the industry. Marth alone isn't worth a 7.5% price increase for late buyers.

Well you have to consider that that was back when Famitsu was a tough reviewer. Y'know, had credibility.

That's not the issue, the issue is that it's score is lower then that of every other FE title ever, when it's considered by most fans to be the best one.

jonno394

$3 for one character, and nobody's complaining? What? I'm really disappointed that Nintendo's basically pulling the same crap as the rest of the industry. Marth alone isn't worth a 7.5% price increase for late buyers.

I thought the character came with a misiion/map to complete first too?

DLC does not have to be bought btw, I never got this argument, especially when the content really is additional BONUS content. The price of teh game doesn't increase if the late buyer doesn't want the DLC.

Anteo

Come on, you know that's not Nintendo's style.

They release unfinished games without the prospect of fixing them afterwards. :p

I laughed, for real :lol

Annnndddd free marth for early adopters? Welp I'll have to import from USA day one (noa announce it now please?)

Edit :

Hey! Is that guy with the Girahim avatar!
Uh dude, you get a map and the character, and it's free day one, like exitebike.. (e shop day one)

Peff

Card art is really cool

8AcDM.jpg

Apparently "Marth" is actually (SPOILERS)
Krom's daughter. lolwut?

Top Bottom