• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2017 [OT] 100 Years of Playoff Salt

Alucard

Banned
Getzlaf kinda digging himself deeper with his comments regarding the incident

Need more details. You can't just post stuff like this without delivering the comments themselves, sir.

Found it:

"It's tough to see anyone refer to it as (a homophobic slur). I didn't mean it in that manner in any way, and for it to go that route was very disappointing for me," Getzlaf told reporters.

"I did accept responsibility and I accepted a fine. We talked to the league and I understand that it's my responsibility to not use vulgar language, period. Whether it's a swear word or whatever it is, we've got to be a little bit more respectful of the game and that's up to me. I accept that responsibility and will move forward."

Montresor

Need more details. You can't just post stuff like this without delivering the comments themselves, sir.

Found it:

"It's tough to see anyone refer to it as (a homophobic slur). I didn't mean it in that manner in any way, and for it to go that route was very disappointing for me," Getzlaf told reporters.

"I did accept responsibility and I accepted a fine. We talked to the league and I understand that it's my responsibility to not use vulgar language, period. Whether it's a swear word or whatever it is, we've got to be a little bit more respectful of the game and that's up to me. I accept that responsibility and will move forward."

So what is this related to? Getzlaf using the word "cocksucker"?

Because there's nothing wrong about his comments here. Cocksucker to me is vulgar but not necessarily homophobic.

If Getzlaf had used the f-word (homophobic slur) then it would be a different story for me.

Montresor

Getzlaf has to apologize to the lgbtq community for calling someone a cocksucker?

Man this seems absolutely ridiculous.

Since when was cocksucker a homophobic slur? I'm almost at a loss for words.

I went ahead and watched the video and Getzlaf's behaviour is still embarrassing though. The way he viciously leans in to the referee to yell out "cocksucker" is so mean-spirited, immature, and unprofessional it makes me feel uncomfortable. He should be suspended for that honestly. But not because it was homophobic.... because he's verbally abusing the referee.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It was absolutely inappropriate for Getzlaf to use any vulgarity, but anyone who isn't an old sheltered grandma is just pretending to be legitimately offended by the word "cocksucker," and is just making a transparent attempt at gaslighting

if the ref didn't like being called a cocksucker, he has the means to get the man fined.

NHL didn't call it homophobic, just an inappropriate comment. Other media immediately went with homophobic and people ran with it (even I assumed it was the other word, because cocksucker doesn't seem bad to me)

Socreges

Banned
So what is this related to? Getzlaf using the word "cocksucker"?

Because there's nothing wrong about his comments here. Cocksucker to me is vulgar but not necessarily homophobic.

If Getzlaf had used the f-word (homophobic slur) then it would be a different story for me.

Getzlaf has to apologize to the lgbtq community for calling someone a cocksucker?

Man this seems absolutely ridiculous.

Since when was cocksucker a homophobic slur? I'm almost at a loss for words.

I went ahead and watched the video and Getzlaf's behaviour is still embarrassing though. The way he viciously leans in to the referee to yell out "cocksucker" is so mean-spirited, immature, and unprofessional it makes me feel uncomfortable. He should be suspended for that honestly. But not because it was homophobic.... because he's verbally abusing the referee.
Cocksucker generally isn't intended as a homophobic slur. But then again, neither is f*g. It's just a word of derision, regardless of what you think about the person's sexuality. Fact is cocksucker doesn't have the same history tied to it, so it doesn't have the same effect (consider that we feel we should censor one but not the other). That's the distinction. But technically the media aren't wrong by calling it a homophobic slur. Of course it is.

Line_HTX

Corey Perry trying to pull some ref's arm off

He was officially assessed a ten-minute misconduct for this. Apparently the rulebook calls for a suspension, but it's the playoffs, so...
Just looked it up and yep.

Pretty much no room for interpretation. This should be the end of the series for Perry.

Red faced Corey Perry at it again after the end of Game 3, huh.

If that's what the rules say, then they better suspend him for that type of contact. Good guy my fucking ass, what a cretin.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Red faced Corey Perry at it again after the end of Game 3, huh.

If that's what the rules say, then they better suspend him for that type of contact. Good guy my fucking ass, what a cretin.

You shouldn't let other people control your emotions like this.

Also, the words "fuck" and "ass" are not appropriate. And "cretin" is an incredibly offensive ableist term. An apology would be best in this situation.

Alucard

Banned
if the ref didn't like being called a cocksucker, he has the means to get the man fined.

NHL didn't call it homophobic, just an inappropriate comment. Other media immediately went with homophobic and people ran with it (even I assumed it was the other word, because cocksucker doesn't seem bad to me)

The media is garbage. As are a lot of people who try to project their own spin on something to make themselves feel morally superior to others. So easy to do on the internet, but I figure they were right to do so in this case.

I also agree with Soc that at the moment, people don't give the same weight to the word cocksucker as a homophobic slur in 2017...but this could and will probably change over the years.

(Also, agree this would be and should be a different story with the other F bomb)

calder

Gonna try to put her down for a nap in a bit so I can watch the game.

50ad5721cae51.gif

Top Bottom