• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesomenauts |OT| - 2D MOBA - [PC/XBLA/PSN] Now on PS4!

aku:jiki

Thats how you make an awesome game. Make every thing you can do super awesome and remove the rest.
No, it's how you make an unbalanced mess. Just wait and watch for the community to find out about the ridiclousness of the healer, you won't be calling it awesome for very long.

Another factor that certainly isn't awesome about the character power: you can't switch in the middle of a match. If a team is showing up with a character combo that isn't very common, they will just fuck your shit up because you aren't allowed to adapt to it.

No, it's how you make an unbalanced mess. Just wait and watch for the community to find out about the ridiclousness of the healer, you won't be calling it awesome for very long.

Another factor that certainly isn't awesome about the character power: you can't switch in the middle of a match. If a team is showing up with a character combo that isn't very common, they will just fuck your shit up because you aren't allowed to adapt to it.

the game has been out for a day. i remember when MVC3 first came out and sentinel was called the death of everyone because he was so imbalanced. turned out he wasn't S-tier at all once people actually started playing and developed strategies

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
YOu can still pay $10. :D

Actually he can't. With PS+, once you download something for free, you can't go back and pay for it unless you let your subscription run out. Would be nice if they'd allow that, though. There's a few things I've gotten for free that I'd like to just pay for so I know I've always got them.

EDIT: And yeah, I do agree that you really should be allowed to change characters mid-match. Even if it means losing all the solar you've built up with the current character. Or losing half of it or something.

Card Boy

Banned
Really needs a PC release with keyboard text chat. The PS3 has always being a ghost town when it comes to communication and people on their mics. I have had a PS3 since 2008 and i would say like 1 in 15 people use their mics.

Tried the Trial and 720P doesn't it justice compared to the 1080P goodness of Swords & Soliders HD on PC. Also lets face it the DOTA audience is on PC.

Having said that the game is fun and it shits all over Super Monday Night Combat.

the game has been out for a day. i remember when MVC3 first came out and sentinel was called the death of everyone because he was so imbalanced. turned out he wasn't S-tier at all once people actually started playing and developed strategies
Sure, and what people are going to find out eventually is that the healer is a joke. He can heal anything even if it hasn't taken any damage, healing things (including fully healed ones) gives you money, you can summon drones that quickly become strong and like anything else can be milked for money, you buff the pre-existing drones and, finally, there's an upgrade that on top of all of that allows the healer to be an offensive character by giving him a damaging gun. So he can heal everything, makes money out the ass, can heal himself and can attack.

The combo of buffing drones, keeping them alive and dumping healing stations that not only keep you and the drones alive, but also attacks enemies and when upgraded does a shitload of damage, means that he can destroy turrets from full life to nothing without taking a single hit. It's pretty much the textbook definition of "wildly imbalanced."

jiggles

Banned
It's kinda shocking how OP the healer is. I just lost a match where the other team's healer was level 22, while I was level 5. The only way I could stop them steamrolling through with invincible droids was to keep their healer busy, which basically meant chasing him back to their turret and then getting destroyed. Of course, for that whole cycle, he gets a fuck tonne of XP from healing dudes and I get jack shit. Super.

I'm intersted to see how the devs will creative incentive to keep gamers playing. Besides the lack of characters and abilities, I think it may be very challenging to keep things fresh with interesting & creative mechanics (that also synergize well) in a "moba" that is limited to a 2D perspective.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm just going to put it out there and say it, if the decide to charge for DLC characters then game is Pay2win as far as i'm concerned.

It's really essential in a MOBA based game you never have Pay2Win and all unlocks can be earned for free.

Unicorn

I'm not feeling this game at all. The outcome of a match is decided so early on! It's all about whoever manages to collect the most money, and thus upgrades, first. Then it's just a 20 minute grind of using those superior upgrades to slowly destroy turrets as the enemy team stands no chance. Not a fan of how the match design - i.e. the fact that you start out weak as fuck desperately needing upgrades in order to play properly - means that everyone just runs away from everything. Every fight I've had so far ends with me killing them with my superior mech, or them running away with their superior speed. Pretty dull.

Hopefully it gets better once my friends start waking up and getting online. Maybe I'm getting frustrate by playing with stupid randoms who don't get it. Like that one guy who never did anything but abuse the stupid bull attack over and over and over.

Also, it gets some minus points for not having proper offline play. There's a practice mode, but I assume that doesn't allow ranking up and so on...why else would it be "practice?" Why no 2 on 2 offline action?

This is just MOBA's in general.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Voltar's almost compltly shut down by a decent Lonestar (just push him away with a large speedy exploding bull!) or Leon (pull him in with tounge lashes, towards your turrets. Or use invincible tornado spin to destroy his little OP overbuff group), though. I have more problems with solid Clunks rather than Voltars, so far. I like a voltar with the heal pushback rather than damage myself, as it DOES keep people from hitting your underlings. However, at that point, I'm sacrificing something like range, heal gun damage, or healing ability, so I either am less a help to my teammates, or I have to play riskier and stand closer to the machine gun to heal...

So far, I feel like every ace-level, late-game player with a properly built character needs 2 solid other players to bring them down.

Switching characters in mid round? Eh.... I think taking a money hit that permanently means you're going to have weaker resources that every else would hurt that. No money hit, and it's just a mess. Maybe they could make it so that you get 1 change to change, and only during the first death or something. I'm kinda glad people can't "counterpick", it's nice to see you're commited to making your teams work. Also, I'm glad they can't switch, so they can all after-defense-down rush with Clunks and Lonestars towards the end, or soemthing like that.

Been going online with splitscreen with brother, lvl 26 now. (Kinda lame 2P doesn't seem to be able to earn achievements... again. Argh. His levels and unlocked items match my own, so he's not earning his OWN exp, just piggybacking off my account, it seems.) Otherwise, it's just as good as Co-Op online splitscreen MNC, so very happy with it so far. There's no character I don't like, and I like the fact that builds can very so much in purpose and ability, so you can't just say "oh, that's a Lonestar, here's exactly how he'll play!"

I'm just going to put it out there and say it, if the decide to charge for DLC characters then game is Pay2win as far as i'm concerned.

It's really essential in a MOBA based game you never have Pay2Win and all unlocks can be earned for free.

Only if the characters are substantially better than the DLC ones, right? If you just get more variety for your money, but the 6 characters you already have are perfectly capable, then it doesn't really change much.

It's rare to see 100% free stuff on XBLA or PSN (as far as I know on that one, as I don't have PSN), so it'll be interesting to see how that works out. All we know so far is that there are 2 characters they've already been working on for the game, but we don't know more about future content than that.

Card Boy

Banned
Only if the characters are substantially better than the DLC ones, right? If you just get more variety for your money, but the 6 characters you already have are perfectly capable, then it doesn't really change much.

Regards if someone considers them OP or underpowered. It's still selling power. Same applies to the shit Capcom does with its on disc DLC characters.

I found the cowboy to be overpowered when I first started playing (though that was for review; it's possible they've rebalanced since) while I've heard others saying the frog is way overpowered. Another person I spoke to claimed the monkey was. You're always going to get games where a really skilled or high-level player owns, and it looks like that character is unbalanced. But with clever tactics and - crucially - teamwork, there's always a way around it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
God, I hate getting stuck on idiot teams. We've got a Voltar + Clank team systematically bulldozing through our turrets, and I'm the only one trying to stop them. My other teammates are nowhere to be seen. And I'm playing Voltar myself. And let me tell you, a solo, Lv. 1 Voltar can't do a damn thing in that situation.

Voltar's almost compltly shut down by a decent Lonestar (just push him away with a large speedy exploding bull!) or Leon (pull him in with tounge lashes, towards your turrets.
It's like you're talking about a completely different game to me... I'm pretty sure you just haven't seen a Voltar that knows what he's doing yet.

I'm not shut down in the slightest by a bull. It throws me back and it's annoying, sure, but it does not stop my onslaught in any way. The drones stopping to kill turrets and other drones means the last drones that spawned are just right behind us, so I don't care about Leon destroying my shit. I have more less than a second away. Also, if someone does try to get into my drone squad and mess us up, I just throw down a healing station with double attack upgrades. Leon will be running for the hills when it does 100 damage to him, and I push on.

I found the cowboy to be overpowered when I first started playing (though that was for review; it's possible they've rebalanced since) while I've heard others saying the frog is way overpowered. Another person I spoke to claimed the monkey was. You're always going to get games where a really skilled or high-level player owns, and it looks like that character is unbalanced. But with clever tactics and - crucially - teamwork, there's always a way around it.
I can explain the cowboy, Lonestar. People love him at first because the bull seems absolutely ridiculous. Low cool-down, huge area of effect! Awesome! Then you realize that it doesn't actually do any worthwhile damage, even with the upgrades on. The same thing has happened with every new person on my list that has bought the game and you see it in pubs all the time; newbies are always filling the screen with non-stop, constant bulls.

equil

Loving this game so far. Everytime I see someone i think is OP, the next game completely changes my point of view. I think its pretty balanced from what i've played.

Emitan

I'm fucking terrible at this game, so I guess that means its a faithful adaption of the MOBA genre...

sigh

Bizzity

I downloaded the trial on xbla today and I've been playing it for hours already. I love it! never played any moba style games before, but maybe I'd like them. I'm still deciding if their will be enough of a community to merit a 10 dollar purchase though, I"m frugal.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's like you're talking about a completely different game to me... I'm pretty sure you just haven't seen a Voltar that knows what he's doing yet.

I play a Voltar who knows what he's doing, too. It's just not as uber as it could be, if the enemey team is doing their job. Sure, it all works fine for now, when people barely seem to know you can aim shots and skills diagonally, or understand that Leon's Tounge pull ignores enemies, and just pulls player characters... But as people lear their skills, it shouldn't amount to as much.

I'm not shut down in the slightest by a bull. It throws me back and it's annoying, sure, but it does not stop my onslaught in any way. The drones stopping to kill turrets and other drones means the last drones that spawned are just right behind us, so I don't care about Leon destroying my shit. I have more less than a second away. Also, if someone does try to get into my drone squad and mess us up, I just throw down a healing station with double attack upgrades. Leon will be running for the hills when it does 100 damage to him, and I push on.

It pushes you away from bots or healing field, seperating buffers / buffee. That's really all that's needed to begin messing up your plans, if the team is good. You're forced to either jump the bull to avoid damage / pushback (which makes it easy to predict where to start shooting for his teammates) or you ride it back, which gets you out of their hair for a while. (I guess you could drop through the floor too, if you're by one that lets you.) That's enough time to mine-layer the floor, let offensive abilities recharge, for for everyone to stand in/set up their own healing gauntlet.

Healing stations don't seem to survive very long VS any late-game weps/abilities that are made to take out clusters. (Like Leon's MAx dive splash + Hammer pants, or Lonestar's multi 'nades.) I concentrate more on his healing ray than the towers, though, so maybe you make yours tougher.

I can explain the cowboy, Lonestar. People love him at first because the bull seems absolutely ridiculous. Low cool-down, huge area of effect! Awesome! Then you realize that it doesn't actually do any worthwhile damage, even with the upgrades on. The same thing has happened with every new person on my list that has bought the game and you see it in pubs all the time; newbies are always filling the screen with non-stop, constant bulls.

I really like it for the pushback, size increase, and explosion upgrade. With things that have high HP, they're more of a non-issue if I've pushed them away, with a swarm of my own troops that now have no reasons to stop.

I don't understand. I'm level 20, played 19 sessions and only lost 2 of those. Yet when I click own score it says I'm not ranked on the leaderboards. Are the leaderboards broken or am I missing something obvious?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Clunk + Voltar = TF2 Heavy + Medic

GOOD GOD!

I destroyed Fools, just need an upgraded Voltar at least 50%, and me @75%, Goddamn

I went 22-1 in 1 round

Get Chomp high up ASAP, reward yourself with free healing every 3-5 seconds, while killing enemies
I use the free 150 Bonus Solar from the start + Solar Gained ability, it really helps at the start, Regen Health/Move faster is useless (to me)
I save Explode ability till 50%, if other team kicking our ass, then earlier
Level 25 so far
Each class has it's worth

Some say Voltar owns, just remember, he has the lowest health, 1 good Leon can destroy him quickly, with 4-5 swipes

Clunk + Voltar = TF2 Heavy + Medic

GOOD GOD!

I destroyed Fools, just need an upgraded Voltar at least 50%, and me @75%, Goddamn

I went 22-1 in 1 round

Get Chomp high up ASAP, reward yourself with free healing every 3-5 seconds, while killing enemies
I use the free 150 Bonus Solar from the start + Solar Gained ability, it really helps at the start, Regen Health/Move faster is useless (to me)
I save Explode ability till 50%, if other team kicking our ass, then earlier
Level 25 so far
Each class has it's worth

Some say Voltar owns, just remember, he has the lowest health, 1 good Leon can destroy him quickly, with 4-5 swipes

add me to your PSN list nfl brother!

psn gt = frenchmov

Okay, Leon is the best character. Holy shit.

I've played with and love every character for their unique abilities, but LEON? FUCKING BEAST. I completely terrorize with him. Max damage + speed + life draining sword pretty much destroys everything in seconds, even Clunks.

Running away? Get yo' ass over here *tounge* hell, with faster walking you don't even NEED to use the tounge move, and I usually don't because the match ends before I get enough solar to spend on extra things. Sword upgrades + stealth with 1 or 2 of that move where you do more damage upon breaking stealth is enough for 99% of games I've played.

Speaking of stealth, it has to be OP. Not only do you leave a dummy which can confuse people in the midst of combat (and it stops underlings), but it never runs out. I can stay stealthed forever and stalk/troll people.

Alright, I'm calm now. Had to get that out. People, don't sleep on Leon Chameleon!

Also, DAT THEME SONG, MON AMI.

(and can someone answer my leaderboard question when they get the chance :lol)

It pushes you away from bots or healing field, seperating buffers / buffee. That's really all that's needed to begin messing up your plans, if the team is good.
That has no effect and you're ignoring what I said about drones catching up to you here. I don't care if you take away the four I have in front of me, I have two right behind me and more coming.

That's enough time to mine-layer the floor, let offensive abilities recharge, for for everyone to stand in/set up their own healing gauntlet.
Hey, you're just changing your argument now. You said I'd be shut down by a Lonestar and his bull, not a Lonestar, a Yuri with mines and whatever else you can come up with. Of course everything can be countered if you just pile on the countermeasures.

Healing stations don't seem to survive very long VS any late-game weps/abilities that are made to take out clusters. (Like Leon's MAx dive splash + Hammer pants, or Lonestar's multi 'nades.) I concentrate more on his healing ray than the towers, though, so maybe you make yours tougher.
Yes, healing ray upgrades are useless. And healing station strength doesn't matter, all you need it to do is stay up for like a second so you and your friends get a buff and the enemy takes a minimum of 40 damage. Then the very short cooldown allows you to throw down a new one before that enemy is joined by a teammate or more drones.

bunbun777

level 24 so far, all characters are good but boy do i love that healing brain. this is my strat for skills:

Start with piggy bank then the gain more solar perk and unlock drones. Go get yourself 200 solar and teleport back, i like to basically pump up drone amount and hp increase with heal ray. When you get to 4 drones pump up drone damage to max then make sure your healing is max, after that it is gravy.

Me with 4 drones consistently healing droids taking down turrents by myself if my team is somewhere else. Only once did we have a good opposing team and i leveled the brain to 32 and managed to use healing pod skills, never usually get the chance.

Game has potential that monkey can own as well, as can leon, froggy-g, they all seem pretty good.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
^^ Note: Love the fact we're all talking about Voltar, but the builds are so different!

That has no effect and you're ignoring what I said about drones catching up to you here. I don't care if you take away the four I have in front of me, I have two right behind me and more coming.

Naa, just don't think it matter too much. Something like Froggy G's Splash + Heavy pants eats drones in seconds. To me, the big part is splitting the groups up, and doing tick damage to everything, to make them more vulnerable to screw-ups.

So, the heal you're using to make this mega-team is just the chumpy no-upgrade heal beam, eh? I guess that's ok for bots.

Hey, you're just changing your argument now. You said I'd be shut down by a Lonestar and his bull, not a Lonestar, a Yuri with mines and whatever else you can come up with. Of course everything can be countered if you just pile on the countermeasures.

Well, no. My argument was that Voltar wasn't that big a deal, if a team was prepared to deal with your threat. First element was "even one good use of a proper tech counters your charge / breaks it up / debuffs it" and second part was "if they know what they're doing, what you're doing isn't as big a deal." Sorry if that was a little messy.

Yes, healing ray upgrades are useless. And healing station strength doesn't matter, all you need it to do is stay up for like a second so you and your friends get a buff and the enemy takes a minimum of 40 damage. Then the very short cooldown allows you to throw down a new one before that enemy is joined by a teammate or more drones.

I've tried to notive if the healing stations growth period is vulnerable or not. It's actually hard to tell. It does seem invincible during that portion, but I guess it has semi-slow startup.

I went for a mix of increased Heal tower Strength, Double the damage buff, and the recharge speed enhancer, I believe. For the healing ray, I started with increased healing, then added the pushback onto it.

I'll agree, this was quite powerful.

I felt like I was kinda useless if the bot stream was shut up, and also felt somewhat useless at damaging the enemey stuff (didn't have orbs, was focusing on raising those skills), but he was the best charge-in front liner possible. I still really love the push. Pushing enemies into your guns, into the damaging heal ray, or almost 100% pushing them back as they try to get close and hit your attacking group, is just great. Since high level HP can be utterly insane in this game, being able to push people into hazards, or make "rock and a hard place" situations with pushing them into nooks and crannies, so they can be wall-pinned by a bull in a corner, or cluster grenades, or Yuri's carpet bombing, is just too fun.

And it's nice to see he does lose the unique solar increase, and ability to heal, once he goes damage-ray. Heal/hurt/more solar would be crazy.

Anywho, it's fun to abuse tactics so much, that the players actually learn and adapt. Much better than fighitng people who stagnate, and fall for the same thing for 15 minutes...

KuroNeeko

Voltars can be rough, but only if you let them sit there and grind uncontested. I've found the best solution for them is Leon. You have to keep harassing him - making him retreat through the constant threat of death. Lonestar and his bull also helps keep him away from your turrets. Such a pain in the ass to see the enemy team rush your turret in the beginning and just have Voltar sit there and spam heal. Grr.

Personally, I like Leon (dat theme music), Froggy G, and Clunk so far. Yuri seems like he can be good but his controls are just so awkward and mine placement is so damn slow. There are a few spots on the map though where you can hit turrets and solar beasts without worrying about being counterattacked. Lonestar is pretty good. His upgrade dynamite hurts like hell and the bulls are awesome crowd control. Voltar is strong but I hate his lack of mobility and spam healing.

Too early to tell on character balance. Voltar has the maybe the best potential to get a level gap quickly, which is why you need to harass him. Otherwise, everyone seems pretty well balanced except for the Soviet Chimp which seems a bit weak (though the pull mod on his laser looks like a good set-up tool.) Not looking forward to winning my one match with him. :(

My GT is KuroNeeko if anyone wants to get some games going on at weird hours. Please be warned though, I've got a little one who wakes up sometimes in the middle of the night which means I may go AFK or drop in the middle of a match. Sorry:/

Game is great, it's just my internet stinks and won't let me play with more than 1 other person :( Had the same problem with Iron Brigade.

Just for the record, there have been 2 new characters leaked on the FB page, but Ronimo took them offline again. However, someone screened the little images:

71998289.jpg

37833601.jpg

Seems like our sausagefest will get a girl sooner or later!

jtrov

Really hope those two new characters make it into the game. Loving the cast of characters available, but definitely would like to see what other designs they can come up with.

Just having a blast with the game so far and the whole platform MOBA thing has been a great deal of fun. All the characters look interesting so far, but I can't pull myself away from Froggy G. The man is amazing, from his design, abilities, and one-liners.

Just loving the Saturday morning cartoon vibe of the whole game and the art-style is a very nice realization of that. Just really clean art and nice designs all around. In some weird ways, some of it reminds me of Earthworm Jim, heh. I'm also really digging the in-game tunes as well. Just a nice package all around.

Just want to get home and play some more Awesomenauts. I got the XBLA version, so if anyone wants to party up just send a FR. My GT is the same as my GAF name.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Really hope those two new characters make it into the game. Loving the cast of characters available, but definitely would like to see what other designs they can come up with.

Just having a blast with the game so far and the whole platform MOBA thing has been a great deal of fun. All the characters look interesting so far, but I can't pull myself away from Froggy G. The man is amazing, from his design, abilities, and one-liners.

Just loving the Saturday morning cartoon vibe of the whole game and the art-style is a very nice realization of that. Just really clean art and nice designs all around. In some weird ways, some of it reminds me of Earthworm Jim, heh. I'm also really digging the in-game tunes as well. Just a nice package all around.

Just want to get home and play some more Awesomenauts. I got the XBLA version, so if anyone wants to party up just send a FR. My GT is the same as my GAF name.

They will definitely make it into the game. I asked on their Facebook and was told that they are 100% getting into the game, although they currently don't know if they'll be free or paid DLC.

jtrov

They will definitely make it into the game. I asked on their Facebook and was told that they are 100% getting into the game, although they currently don't know if they'll be free or paid DLC.

Wow, very cool. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Hype to see their complete designs now.

Watched the Quick Look, seems like a good game to introduce me to the MOBA trappings, with a base gameplay (real time 2D shooter) that's more appealing to me.

Hope it's still alive by the time I buy it.

Hit level 45 this morning, didn't realize that you could prestige also. Really fun game but if it doesn't get supported I can see the population dropping off pretty quickly.

Definitely will get this game's full version once I get this month's wage. :)
Really hope Ronimo'll find another publisher or is able to publish themselves, it would be a shame to let such a good game go to waste.

MrDaravon

I've played three matches in a row, and am getting utterly and completely raped in half. The last two matches our team didn't even take out a single turret. This is honestly depressing, I can't tell if I'm just getting wrecked so badly that I'm not getting a chance to figure things out, my team totally blows, or (more likely) a combination of the two. Everyone I'm playing against is a significantly higher level as well, so the matchmaking doesn't seem to be making any type of consideration of matching skill levels, so that's really not helping. I'd say my biggest issue right now is that I'm getting stuck against a lot of Clunks who just simply have so much Health that there doesn't seem to be jackshit we can do to kill them before they bail, assuming they even have to. Should be I trying to switch off of Lonestar ASAP for a better character? I just hit level 3, and I seem to be able to defend turrets okay, but against other human players not so much. I've been going pretty much for Free Solar -> unlock Bull and Dynamite -> Movement/Triple Jump -> then kinda whatever. I tried maxing out the Bull and Dynamite early on didn't seem to do much, should I be going straight for the bullet damage upgrades instead to help against human players?

Somehow I've made it this far never having heard the term 'MOBA'.

Its original genre name was "Dota", named after the famous namesake, and it actually still is often called like that, but since people didn't want to call it after a game, it was turned into MOBA, Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. :)

Top Bottom