• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Meffer

Wow, congrats! Regarding about getting Shinuchi, if you really liked the game and like the new content it adds I would suggest getting it. And you can transfer your save file over from Honke and continue from it as normal.

Impotaku

Well, I finally beat Youkai Watch 2 Honke's Story Mode.

It took 22 hours to do so, with me doing straight story and required quests, and taking time to capture as many Youkai as possible.

And that final boss, DAMN it took me almost 30-40 minutes to beat.

Here's my team;

zGPhybR.jpg

Thanks to you guys who took the time to answer my questions and help me out.

I have one final question, though; where is Lin-kun(the baby dragon with the booger), and also how do I get the evolution item for Snow Girl to evolve?

A wiki I saw said the item was at that Jungle place where you sell the bugs/fish for 1500 JP, but I don't see it available for purchase.

Also, should I get Shinuchi now? Or wait for the inevitable Youkai Watch 3?

Have you been back to jungle hunter since you completed the game? as when you go after completing the game a lot more items are available to buy, the comb is definately available from the jungle hunter shop as i just checked my honke version and it's in the list to buy.

Also a few more shops will have new items like the book shop in the shopping center it will have the high level books available that increase the power of your youkai's special attacks.

If you don't have enough jungle points to buy the items you need there is a sneaky way around it if you have enough money to cover it. You can buy the expensive fish from the fish shop (where you found jibanyan) you can sell these fish to the jungle hunter shop to get points it saves having to slowly fish for ages trying to get some expensive fish so you have enough points. Good for people in a hurry.

Personally i'd recommend shinuchi, the main story has a few extra twists and the new area is a lot of fun to explore.

Dragoshi1

Yeah, I went back post game, but the only evo items he has are the vacuum, a sound horn, a paddle, and a rusty hatchet. I have 2461 JP at the moment.

Impotaku

I must have done something else in my game then to get it to appear at the jungle hunter shop, might have been a quest you need to complete but i have no idea which. All i know is that after i complete the game a lot more items appeared at the jungle hunter shop and that one was there too.
IMG_0438%20res.jpg

Currently working on tweaking my team, this is my current team. I'm considering transferring them over to shinuchi to make completing the game a lot faster. Currently levelling a wakame kun he's already evolved into wakame star but needs to be a lot more powerful as he's too low level at the moment.
IMG_0439%20res.jpg

Dragoshi1

Does it have something to do with the Q sign outside the place?

I also thought maybe I need to catch a certain percentage of the bugs/fish in case his inventory increases with your progress.

Impotaku

The Q sign requires a meramelion but that only activates a promo campaign inside the shop that you get more points for selling cartain fish/insects.

I only recently activated that Q sign and i had the same items in the list before that so i don't think that's the cause. Gah this is going to drive me mad trying to figure out what the cause of the extra items appearing in the shop list.

hazukash

I'm very excited for the localization. I can speak Japanese, but I don't want to buy an extra 3DS just to play this.

Meffer

So from I understand this guy:
WMM2CxN.jpg

can evolve into Masamune but I believe that Masamune can evolve into an S rank youkai (I don't know the name) and since you, Impotaku, have him in your team, what do you do to get him?

Wanchan

Shoubushi (the C Rank in your screenshot) can evolve in Murasame or Muramasa, both A Rank but is used in making a S Rank youkai.

Kusanagi is the S Rank youkai, you need 1 Shoubushi (C Rank) + Divine Sword Kusanagi (神剣クサナギ).

To get Divine Sword Kusanagi, you have to create it from Divine Whetstone (神々しい砥石) +Deserted/Lonely Katana ( さびれた刀)

You get the Divine Whetstone (神々しい砥石) from the mini-game Watch Busters (ウォッチバスターズ) by doing a good score and getting the golden ball/reward after turning the demon gasha, here's a video if it helps : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_MkEaNWJzM

You get the Deserted/Lonely Katana ( さびれた刀) for 600 JP from Jungle Hunters.

Then you go to the priest : http://youtu.be/ApRqcSrvluA?t=2m57s

I think there's other ways to get him, maybe in the youkai gasha, not sure.

Impotaku

Later on in the game when you are doing the quests (EP4 quest in particular) for master nyada he gives a choice of 2 whetstones when completed one of them is the divine one.

Currently going through shinuchi, although you can transfer your save so you don't have to complete the game from the beginning it's totally recommended that you don't do it as you miss out on a lot of new bits that were added to the main story like little cut scenes and minigames. Only from starting off from the beginning have i noticed just how much extra little things were squeezed into the main story i love it. Made it a lot easier though as i transferred a few of my high level youkai into shinuchi so my team can destroy everything without having to level up too much. Last boss better watch her ass as i won't be going down so easy LOL.

Meffer

Later on in the game when you are doing the quests (EP4 quest in particular) for master nyada he gives a choice of 2 whetstones when completed one of them is the divine one.

Currently going through shinuchi, although you can transfer your save so you don't have to complete the game from the beginning it's totally recommended that you don't do it as you miss out on a lot of new bits that were added to the main story like little cut scenes and minigames. Only from starting off from the beginning have i noticed just how much extra little things were squeezed into the main story i love it. Made it a lot easier though as i transferred a few of my high level youkai into shinuchi so my team can destroy everything without having to level up too much. Last boss better watch her ass as i won't be going down so easy LOL.
The divine whetstone wouldn't happen to be purple is it? I'll take a pic later since I'm at work right now.

Impotaku

Just checked the 2 whetstones that master nyanda lets you choose, seems thay are not the one i was thinking of, i went ahead and merged them both with a sword to see what items they would create and neither were the correct sword to merge with a shoubushi.

Dragoshi1

So myself, my brother, and my sister all ordered the DX watches(original for myself and sister, zeroshiki for brother), so now we are hunting for medals. Mine came today, it's pretty awesome quality, sound and material wise.

Anyway, I made a Amazon JP account, found some cheap stuff, including one of the Youkai book medal holders, but unfortunately a lot of them don't ship to my address.

Only the mangas seem to be able to ship to me.

THE DREAM DIED BEFORE IT HAS BEGUN.

Also my whole family has Youkai Watch fever at the moment, we love the show.

Impotaku

You can use a shipping forwarding service like Tenso, thats what i use with my Amazon Japan account to get stuff sent to the UK as i have the same problem as Amazon/Amazon marketplace sellers will not ship outside of Japan.

Meffer

I used Amazon US for myself to get my watch and medals (should be here by the end of the month). Don't know if it's more expensive to do it that way.

Meffer

Alright, so this is the item I mentioned before:
xKtataW.jpg

I won it at a drawing in the old lady's shop. It was the number 1 drawing so I take it it's rare (lucky me). But if it is the divine whetstone, that's fantastic, but is it?

nekobi

yw.jpg

Been following this thread for a while and couldn't resist joining in! Just started Honke but going painfully slow as my Japanese is only mid-beginner level. Sorry in advance for the million questions I'm sure I will be asking you all. (^-^)/

And on that note- I'm itching to get some of these medals.. I've noticed Amazon Japan sellers always list new ones as 'Unregistered QR Code' or such. Does scanning them into the game 'use' them? Or is it only for the Medaland lottery thingie?

Meffer

It's fine with all the questions so ask away! As for the QR codes behind the medals, anybody can scan them in their games. There's even sites and videos that share QR codes (saves time and money scanning legend medals that's for sure)! I think the unregistered aspect is for the online thing, but I never used it.

nekobi

Thanks! It's so hard to find info on the series in English, which surprises me considering it's popularity (well, in Japan at least).

So, those legend medals- I've seen a few YouTube videos with people finding them in packs. Does anyone know what the distribution of those is like? Is it sort of similar to the 'Shining Pokemon' cards? Do all of the series packs have a chance at them, or are they only obtainable in certain series?

Meffer

As with holos in pokemon cards, it's the same for the legend medals. But they're quite rare. Sometimes they're in packs in a series or they're given out in contests and sweepstakes. They're priced for quite a lot too.

Impotaku

Alright, so this is the item I mentioned before:
xKtataW.jpg

I won it at a drawing in the old lady's shop. It was the number 1 drawing so I take it it's rare (lucky me). But if it is the divine whetstone, that's fantastic, but is it?

That's the same whetstone you get from the quest i mentioned sadly it's not the divine one,

yw.jpg

Been following this thread for a while and couldn't resist joining in! Just started Honke but going painfully slow as my Japanese is only mid-beginner level. Sorry in advance for the million questions I'm sure I will be asking you all. (^-^)/

And on that note- I'm itching to get some of these medals.. I've noticed Amazon Japan sellers always list new ones as 'Unregistered QR Code' or such. Does scanning them into the game 'use' them? Or is it only for the Medaland lottery thingie?

You can scan the medals once per save slot for each game you own regardless of if it's been scanned into someone elses game, if you register for a medaland website account you can also scan the codes online to get points however the medals can only be scanned once on there so if someone has already registered that QR code on the website then you are out of luck. When you scan them on the website it adds the medal to your online binder. The yellow legend medals mainly come from the medaland website, when you scan a medal you get points you can also play a version of the fortune shrine where you can battle using the medals you have registered to win even more points. Now you then use those points to enter the legend medal campaigns, usually costs about 5000 points for one entry when you click on the button the website will randomly determine if you have won or not. Each month or so they usually have a new legend campaign, if you win they will give you an option to enter your Japanese postal address to get it sent to you.

Suffice to say because these medals are so limited and they have to be won, they now have very high price tags. Bushinyan, Ikemenken, Yamabuki oni, Netaballerina, Unchikuma are all the legend medals you could only win on the lottery from the website.

There are 2 more legend medals that you can buy instead of winning, in the 3rd series of medal booster packs the secret campaign medal was the legend medal Shurakoma and there was a Hanasakaji legend medal in the 3rd series data file which are packs of plastic pages for the binder along with the name sheets.

There are also clear orange medals which are the next rarest as they can only be won from the fortune shrine arcade game.

Nice pickups btw, you have many hours of fun ahead of you.

Wanchan

You can only get the divine one (神々しい砥石) by playing Youkai Busters as far as i know. ;)

The one in your picture (禍々しい砥石), you mix it with the 600 JP Katana from Jungle Hunters (same one as the one for Kusanagi) to get the muramasa sword than you can mix with Shoubushi to get Muramasa (Shoubushi evolve form rank A).

Dragoshi1

I saw a japanese playthrough where someone had dark medals, and got Dark Orochi and Dark Fubukihime.

How do you get those medals?

And what's with the really frickin' long tunnel? Like, it's a long straight path that ends at a lake with some ghost chick in the distance, and from a wiki I saw, it says Dark Fubukihime can be encountered at 40,000 meters in, even though the tunnel only got to 700 or so when I exited it.

Impotaku

Dark orochi & dark fubukihime are S ranks only available from the gashapon machine, you need the 5 star gashapon coins to get them. The dark medals you refer to are probably the ones you get from going to a wifi download spot in McDonalds or a 7-11 7spot in Japan the look like a dark purple coin with a question mark on. Those coins have a higher chance of getting you an S rank over a 5 star coin however unless you live in Japan you can forget those as there is no way to get hold of them, at least the 5 star coins can be obtained with passwords or sometimes given as a free download when you connect to the internet via the bank where you usually get the coloured gashapon coins for free each week.

Here's a list of passwords to enter at the koyagi bank where you do the internet downloads, they will give you a smal amount of 5 star coins to have a go.

http://enjoi7.sakura.ne.jp/youkai-wach2/pass.html

Unfortunately you can't cheat the gashapon machine by resetting as they are not randomly generated when you use a coin. When you first start a game all the rare drops from the gashapon are pre determined you could get a S rank on your first go of the machine or it might take 30 coins till you see one. If you have more than one copy of YW2 you can increase your odds. Thats exactly what i did i used the passwords for all the coins then used them all in each version, i got most of the S ranks but i'm still missing a few like dark kyuubi.

Nothing more annoying though than putting in a valuable 5 star coin and getting a crappy item instead of a youkai.

Impotaku

Finally completed shinuchi, totally worth doing again from the very start as there were upgrades to certain scenes in the game and they are so cool to watch.

Recorded 2 of my favourites finally there is a zeroshiki summon sequence and Keizou's scene that was just done using in game graphics with no separate cutscene has been totally redone and it looks fantastic for it. Obviously don't watch unless you have completed YW2 already as Keizou's scene is one near the end of the game so i'd call it spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRymvaCWJIw

There is a lot of new content in the game, far more than i imagined there would be, the trip to the geragera resort is especially fun. A new train station appears on the map to get to and the journey by train is a quest in itself as you travel up and down the train, i also discovered there is a special gold train that sometimes leaves the resort that takes you to a super lucky station with another gashapon machine that gives very rare stuff as rewards. The only catch is the train rarely appears at all. There are a couple of bosses at the resort and they are extremely strong, when you are told that by the game that it's recommended you are level 95 before you start the quest you know it's going to punish you.

Also there are tsuchinoko running about randomly in the game and they are really fast and hard to catch but they drop balls if you manage to catch one if you collect all 8 something interesting happens. There are lots of new secrets like this just blended into the game, keep spoting new stuff the more i play.

Wanchan

You can also get Shadow Orochi with the normal light blue coins (or is this only possible in the first one?), but you need to be super lucky like this dude : http://youtu.be/84oZCB5QAcc?t=15m29s

Also, you meet/fight both of them in the endless tunnel after 34000 meters, but i'm not sure you can actually be friend with them this way.

Those are things, i've yet to do/try in my game. :)

Dragoshi1

Dark orochi & dark fubukihime are S ranks only available from the gashapon machine, you need the 5 star gashapon coins to get them. The dark medals you refer to are probably the ones you get from going to a wifi download spot in McDonalds or a 7-11 7spot in Japan the look like a dark purple coin with a question mark on. Those coins have a higher chance of getting you an S rank over a 5 star coin however unless you live in Japan you can forget those as there is no way to get hold of them, at least the 5 star coins can be obtained with passwords or sometimes given as a free download when you connect to the internet via the bank where you usually get the coloured gashapon coins for free each week.

Here's a list of passwords to enter at the koyagi bank where you do the internet downloads, they will give you a smal amount of 5 star coins to have a go.

http://enjoi7.sakura.ne.jp/youkai-wach2/pass.html

Unfortunately you can't cheat the gashapon machine by resetting as they are not randomly generated when you use a coin. When you first start a game all the rare drops from the gashapon are pre determined you could get a S rank on your first go of the machine or it might take 30 coins till you see one. If you have more than one copy of YW2 you can increase your odds. Thats exactly what i did i used the passwords for all the coins then used them all in each version, i got most of the S ranks but i'm still missing a few like dark kyuubi.

Nothing more annoying though than putting in a valuable 5 star coin and getting a crappy item instead of a youkai.
Agreed, I did 6 pulls today and 2/6 were D ranks, other 4 was grey ball crap.

Today's pulls were awesome, got 3 S ranks! Including Dark Orochi!

Finally got Robonyan, too. I didn't get what Hanako meant at first, but figured it out, and got confused along the way since I had to fight him 3 times before he joined up.

Also, is Dandoro in the Interlock dungeon? Does that mean I cannot access him(or anything else in there) until I get the other version of the game first?

nekobi

That's the same whetstone you get from the quest i mentioned sadly it's not the divine one,

You can scan the medals once per save slot for each game you own regardless of if it's been scanned into someone elses game, if you register for a medaland website account you can also scan the codes online to get points however the medals can only be scanned once on there so if someone has already registered that QR code on the website then you are out of luck. When you scan them on the website it adds the medal to your online binder. The yellow legend medals mainly come from the medaland website, when you scan a medal you get points you can also play a version of the fortune shrine where you can battle using the medals you have registered to win even more points. Now you then use those points to enter the legend medal campaigns, usually costs about 5000 points for one entry when you click on the button the website will randomly determine if you have won or not. Each month or so they usually have a new legend campaign, if you win they will give you an option to enter your Japanese postal address to get it sent to you.

Suffice to say because these medals are so limited and they have to be won, they now have very high price tags. Bushinyan, Ikemenken, Yamabuki oni, Netaballerina, Unchikuma are all the legend medals you could only win on the lottery from the website.

There are 2 more legend medals that you can buy instead of winning, in the 3rd series of medal booster packs the secret campaign medal was the legend medal Shurakoma and there was a Hanasakaji legend medal in the 3rd series data file which are packs of plastic pages for the binder along with the name sheets.

There are also clear orange medals which are the next rarest as they can only be won from the fortune shrine arcade game.

Nice pickups btw, you have many hours of fun ahead of you.

Thanks so much for the detailed info, I appreciate it! :) Hmm... that's gonna be a tough decision for me if I want to register them or not. It sounds like fun though, but I assume they lose some value when registered. The chances of winning against the millions of Japanese kids is probably pretty low too I would assume. Choices, gah! D:

Impotaku

Thanks so much for the detailed info, I appreciate it! :) Hmm... that's gonna be a tough decision for me if I want to register them or not. It sounds like fun though, but I assume they lose some value when registered. The chances of winning against the millions of Japanese kids is probably pretty low too I would assume. Choices, gah! D:

Yeah if you have registered the medals online then they tend to sell for less as some people like to have them in their online collection and you can only do that if they are unused however outside of Japan i don't think that would affect the price much as very few people will go to the trouble of setting up a youkai medaland account. Personally i'd register them yourself and try going for the legend medals, you have as much chance as anyone else of getting a winning screen. Hell i don't even live in Japan and i managed to win a legend medal i recently got lucky and won unchikuma, i used my friends address to get that sent to his house but you could easily use a shipping forwarding service like tenso to get the medal sent to you if you are not in Japan.

Agreed, I did 6 pulls today and 2/6 were D ranks, other 4 was grey ball crap.

Today's pulls were awesome, got 3 S ranks! Including Dark Orochi!

Finally got Robonyan, too. I didn't get what Hanako meant at first, but figured it out, and got confused along the way since I had to fight him 3 times before he joined up.

Also, is Dandoro in the Interlock dungeon? Does that mean I cannot access him(or anything else in there) until I get the other version of the game first?

Congrats on the lucky pulls that's some good ones you got there.

Dondoro is the last boss of the infinite hell dungeon, remember the area where you went through a tunnel to get to the field where the ganso & honke factions were fighting in the past? In the present day that's where the entrance to the dungeon is it's on the road that runs down the left side of where the shrine is where you can fuse items & youkai look for a break in the road barrier. You'll need a key to get in, after completing the main game there is a man that lives in a big ornate traditional looking japanese house in the soyokaze hills area of town (northeast part of the map) the house is in the top right corner and is labelled kuraiwake talk to the man in there, he won't give you the key but as you leave his wife will stop you and hand you the key if i remember correctly. Make sure your team is strong as that dungeon gets pretty hard.

Dragoshi1

I have the key, sweet. My team is pushing 47-50 right now, but I haven't found a good spot to grind since the demons vanished, each one gave a good 700-870 exp per battle. I use the fruit nyans and the Blue Dragon as grind spots at the moment, which is limited by the 1 a day battles with the fruit nyans.

Impotaku

You can grind in the infinite hell dungeon as they get pretty strong in there, there is a warp mirror and a save point at the entrance so you can stay in and grind away if you like. The interlock dungeon is also a good place to grind.

Dragoshi1

Alrighty, cool.

Well, I beat that first boss(the purple 3 headed thing) on the first go, but that reskin of the bath house youkai steamrolled me, so I guess I can grind in there for a while.

Impotaku

I'm currently stuck at the alternate surgeon boss from the first game he keeps regenerating health really fast, can't figure out a strategy to beat him yet, two more after him before you get to dondoro but after him there is the amida paradise that has a really REALLY hard boss at the end if you are not level 99 you wont stand a chance, in fact it's recommended that you have a certain team of youkai to succeed.

Err i'll leave that unattainable goal for the time been lol

Wanchan

I'm currently stuck at the alternate surgeon boss from the first game he keeps regenerating health really fast, can't figure out a strategy to beat him yet

Isn't it the same fight as in the first youkai watch? You have to use ねらう(the manual aiming button) to target and clear the hearts poping on the screen/background behind, then target is heart when it's exposed, the more heart on the screen left before his わざ, the more he will regenerate.

Impotaku

At level 83 my team managed to totally destroy dondoro but you have to be quick with dispelling his special attack or you end up in trouble. Once beaten a nice shortcut opens allowing you to jump right to this part of the dungeon so you don't have to go down through all the floors manually which is a big help in getting to amida paradise.

Dragoshi1

How do you cancel out supers quickly?

My Youkai most of the time stand still, block, or cast a curse, instead of straight up smacking around boss Youkai that start charging up a move. I usually go with fubuki hime's super, followed by Jibanyan's, and that 3/5 times will knock the boss out of charging.

Impotaku

I have yet to figure out a super reliable way to cancel a super, usually attacking with all you have is a good start but i'm inclined to think that certain attacks with disable a certain special.

For dondoro i discovered that when he charges up his super you have a short time to destroy all 3 of the seals on his pot if you break them all before he unleashes his special it cancels the attack and leaves him stunned. I switched to all my sword users as they hit fast and multiple times it seemed to work really well.

Dragoshi1

My Fubuki hime is a BEAST, only lv49 yet she hits for 350+ when boosted by that 2nd story mirror youkai.

But here's my current set-up going clockwise;

Orange-nyan I want to replace with Togenyan, Mirror is there for the magic buff he gives to Fubuki, Fubuki is my most powerful magic user, Narwhal is my best healer, and Butler is backup healer when Narwhal is being stupid.

I also have a Kazemasaru and Fujimi Gozen that I pulled today, and an assortment of other Youkai, but no sword wielders as far as I can tell.

Out of the nyans, though, which would be the most useful on my team as far as the second boss in that dungeon goes? Togenyan I've noticed is stronger physically than Jibanyan, and I also just got Robonyan, and currently trying to recruit Sailor Nyan, Fuyunyan, and the other fruits.

Linius

So what I see above is your team? You carry around six 'youkai thingies' who fight for you like in Pokémon?

I'm hyped for this because it all looks incredibly cute and up my alley. But I actually don't a thing about how the game works yet :p

Meffer

So what I see above is your team? You carry around six 'youkai thingies' who fight for you like in Pokémon?

I'm hyped for this because it all looks incredibly cute and up my alley. But I actually don't a thing about how the game works yet :p

In battle, your three youkai in front actively fight and for the most part control their own actions apart from their special attacks (though you can teach how they act in battle by letting them read various books). You can spin the wheel (in real time) on the bottom to move your team to switch them out. Placement of your youkai is important since you can't just drag and drop them where ever on the wheel in battle, only rotate.

Impotaku

Totally swept through the interlock dungeon, got some really cool S ranks from the gashapon machines after defeating each of the bosses. Sadly after battering all 3 ogres none of them want to be friends with me yet but i'll wear them down again tomorrow.

Meffer

What is up with me getting two of the same legend youkai? I used a Whisper coin at the gashapon, the legend beetle youkai. Used a 5 star coin on the final try today, I got him again! It's so cruel.

Top Bottom