• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimiss

Yeah, HD rumble hasn't impressed me either. Only Blaster Master uses it of the games I've played though.

I have a feeling it will just be good for single/seperate joycon games, like 1 2 Switch and things like ball count as mentioned above. Those type of things are generally not my cup of tea though, so it will be a useless feature for me.

No biggie, other than driving up costs a tad I guess. But I've already paid for the console and a pro pad so no sense worrying about that now. I've never been a huge rumble fan in general anyway.

I really like Blaster Master's use of HD rumble as it has a lot of variation in use. The parts where the sound of the rumble compliments the music/sound effects is really cool.

Wagram

Opened my Switch finally. A few brief thoughts.

Easiest console setup ever.
Do not like the "controller" holder thing. Not very comfortable.
Joy Cons feel off in a wii mote form, but feel great as a handheld.
Charge time is absolutely outrageous.
Pro controller is awesome.
Very vibrant screen.
Lightning quick system update.
Ui is slick and to the point. No clutter, no non-sense.
I do not like the dock at all.
Overall: I like it.

One big negative i'll point out though is on the very bottom of my screen (in the black part) there's some sort of mark. Not a scratch or anything, but it stands out when light is directed onto it. Will not impact gameplay at all, but annoying.

I decided to use the Pro controller packaging foam as a form of protection against scratches. It was a snug fit, but it works. Has anyone had any problems doing this?

sphinx

the piano man
you guys saw that mana rumor?

I wonder why is it that Square Enix seems so on board with the Switch. I think it's great but I am thrilled... I have the suspicion we are getting an exclusive or something.

it seems like Nintendo made deals with them.

mojo2

Neo Member
The screen on my laptop detaches from the keyboard to become a tablet. The power, hdmi out and other ports are on the keyboard. So I "dock" it in my keyboard, much like how the Switch docks. Seems like you're the one without a clue, really.
What? Whether you dock your laptop screen or don't has nothing to do with anything I said. Just stop please.

Majine

Banned
It got very overshadowed by Zelda, but man, Snipperclips is brilliant and kinda sells this system as a portable multiplayer machine better than 1-2 Switch does.

So simple to take off the joycons and hand one to a friend and you're both having a ball.

mojo2

Neo Member
Is anyone else having problems with the gyro? Mine freezes quite often and I have to shake the controller for it to wake up and register movement again. It's not that convenient when playing handheld, eh. I'm playing Zelda.

So I can just take the USB C cable that came with the Pro controller and an iPad charger (the bigger ones, not the smaller phone units) and charge the Switch while traveling?

Has anyone figured out what the hoop is on the back of the controller? Wife thought maybe to tie the joycon bats on- but that doesn't make sense since you'd have to untie all the time.

pulsemyne

Opened my Switch finally. A few brief thoughts.

Easiest console setup ever.
Do not like the "controller" holder thing. Not very comfortable.
Joy Cons feel off in a wii mote form, but feel great as a handheld.
Charge time is absolutely outrageous.
Pro controller is awesome.
Very vibrant screen.
Lightning quick system update.
Ui is slick and to the point. No clutter, no non-sense.
I do not like the dock at all.
Overall: I like it.

One big negative i'll point out though is on the very bottom of my screen (in the black part) there's some sort of mark. Not a scratch or anything, but it stands out when light is directed onto it. Will not impact gameplay at all, but annoying.

I decided to use the Pro controller packaging foam as a form of protection against scratches. It was a snug fit, but it works. Has anyone had any problems doing this?
That's very probably the light sensor for the auto brightness system.

You sure that's not the light sensor?

Protome

Has anyone figured out what the hoop is on the back of the controller? Wife thought maybe to tie the joycon bats on- but that doesn't make sense since you'd have to untie all the time.

I assumed they were packaged in a way that used that hook to hang up on displays in stores.

But they come in boxes, so that idea was a dud. I too am interested in the grip's weird tiny hoop.

I managed to snag a Pro Controller today at a Bestbuy (just in time for my Dock fixes to be complete) and this controller is pretty damn sweet. I did some digging and love the fact that I can turn on Airplane mode but also have Bluetooth remain enabled for the Pro Controller, really nice to see small things like that.

Up to this point I've been Mobile 100% and damn I sure have been missing out with BotW on a 27" Monitor.

linkboy

Any one have a clue what USB power adapter I need for my google usb c cable. My Belkin power adapter isn't working.

If you're using it with the dock, it won't work. The dock needs 30w of power and outside of Apple's stuff (and the official adapter), I've yet to see a USB-C plug with enough pull.

If you're using it portable, I recommend this one

I bought it last summer for my Nexus 6P and it works great with my switch.

SuperSah

Banned
Had my unit at launch.

I absolutely love the screen on this thing. It's so damned vibrant, well calibrated and everything on it pops. Great job Nintendo!

RootCause

Had my unit at launch.

I absolutely love the screen on this thing. It's so damned vibrant, well calibrated and everything on it pops. Great job Nintendo!
Yep, screen is great. I'm glad they didn't stick an oled in there. I might be in the minority, but I wasn't a fan of the oled screen on my vita.

Also, the screen feels massive, absolutely love it.

NolbertoS

So I got another Switch anecdote. I was in the movies (Cineplex Odeon in canada) and saw a Switch Booth set up for people to see the Switch and watch demos. I honestly can't recall the last time a console was advertised in theatres. Seems Nintendo is going all out for the Switch.

_woLf

When I got home last night, I plugged my switch into my spare charger. Official Nintendo charger, mind you. Never had any problems with it, didn't worry about it, went to bed.

Just picked up my Switch and it was red hot. Thought it was weird, but didn't mind. And then I fired up Zelda, where it was night time in the game. I noticed the sky looked weird, and then it hit me.
C7aZexMUwAALpKI.jpg

It's not as noticeable as it is in person, but that's the fucking Switch main menu burned into my screen. FAST RMX and Snipperclips tiles, super visibly burned into the screen.

Somehow, despite my settings being set to go into sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity, my Switch stayed on with the screen at it's normal brightness for 24 hours. And it the screen got so hot that my tempered glass screen cover is starting to come off, too.

This is fucking infuriating. I have it completely turned off for the night and I'm going to hope it's not still there tomorrow. But I'm still extremely concerned why it didn't go into sleep mode from sitting on the main menu without any input at all for over 24 hours.

Just came across this wireless hard drive.

If anyone potentially has access to one of these and can find out if the Switch is compatible that would be amazing. I doubt it would work for moving whole games around. But it'd be cool to basically just grab the screenshots using my phone while this thing sits in my bag.

edit:
The more I think about it, the more Nintendo better basically do this with their app. Funnel the wifi through it to allow access to your saves and screenshots. Easily pull them on to your phone/tablet. And run the audio over the connection. So if I have to put headphones in from my phone for voice, I get game audio too (with mixing options).

...a boy can dream right?

When I got home last night, I plugged my switch into my spare charger. Official Nintendo charger, mind you. Never had any problems with it, didn't worry about it, went to bed.

Just picked up my Switch and it was red hot. Thought it was weird, but didn't mind. And then I fired up Zelda, where it was night time in the game. I noticed the sky looked weird, and then it hit me.

It's not as noticeable as it is in person, but that's the fucking Switch main menu burned into my screen. FAST RMX and Snipperclips tiles, super visibly burned into the screen.

Somehow, despite my settings being set to go into sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity, my Switch stayed on with the screen at it's normal brightness for 24 hours. And it the screen got so hot that my tempered glass screen cover is starting to come off, too.

This is fucking infuriating. I have it completely turned off for the night and I'm going to hope it's not still there tomorrow. But I'm still extremely concerned why it didn't go into sleep mode from sitting on the main menu without any input at all for over 24 hours.

Jesus. That is not good. At all. Scary to think one night of that can permanently ruin the screen with burn in. Oh, and it wont go away. Doesn't work like that. It's ruined. I'd be pissed. Guess i'll stop using sleep mode and just power it off every time i'm done playing.

Yikes. I always dock mine at the end of the night so I don't think my screen would turn on. Hopefully Nintendo will send you a new one.

Vitacat

I'm so sorry to read that. That sucks.

You should contact Nintendo by phone and explain what happened. The fact that you used an official AC adapter means they're liable to fix or replace your Switch. Plus, if there is a firmware bug that caused that, you'd be helping all of us Switch users by making them aware of it.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Jesus. That is not good. At all. Scary to think one night of that can permanently ruin the screen with burn in. Oh, and it wont go away. Doesn't work like that. It's ruined. I'd be pissed. Guess i'll stop using sleep mode and just power it off every time i'm done playing.
It might not be ruined. It could be image retention and not burn in.

SickBoy

So just to be clear -- and in no way is this meant to be blaming you, because this shouldn't happen -- you left the system on with the expectation it would go to sleep (based on your settings)?

Stories like yours and of people's Switches waking up while tucked away in a bag are some of the more disconcerting ones I've heard.

_woLf

So just to be clear -- and in no way is this meant to be blaming you, because this shouldn't happen -- you left the system on with the expectation it would go to sleep (based on your settings)?

Stories like yours and of people's Switches waking up while tucked away in a bag are some of the more disconcerting ones I've heard.

I've been doing it the same way since I bought it, I plug in the usb-c charger, turn the screen off and put it down. I assume I forgot to turn the screen off last night, but if I did it appears the auto sleep failed to work so it sat at the main menu with no activity for 24 hours. I know sometimes I will turn the screen off, then plug in the charger and the screen will turn back on, so then I will have to turn it off again. Maybe I forgot this time, but that definitely shouldn't be something you have to do every time.

I honestly can't remember if the screen was on or not when I picked it up tonight. I was more concerned/perplexed by how warm it was to really notice. But I definitely know I've left the system on once or twice (fell asleep, went to make dinner, whatever) and its always gone into sleep mode from inactivity.

I think I will call NoA even if the burn in fades over time because this to me suggests the auto sleep functionality is not working as intended.

Waking up in a bag/case is a concern of mine too. The Zelda case I have will cause the analog sticks to click in, so I always have the case open and put the Switch in its spot in the case with it plugged in, just so I know nothing will accidentally hit a button.

I'll keep everyone updated. I guess for now the lesson is to be careful with sleep mode while charging :/

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Half the time I wake the console up it doesn't register my left joy con (right is perfectly fine) and I have to wrestle menus or repeated L presses and magical rituals to make it work.

Shit is ridiculous how such a hardware design defect could pass QA. There better be a revision recall.

For the record I sit approx 1.5m away from the dock which is in plain sight.

Ninja Dom

Isn't that because when you use the Joy-cons, you always wake it with the right joy-con? And then have to press the L button so that the Switch realizes that it's there?

Ninja Dom

I've been doing it the same way since I bought it, I plug in the usb-c charger, turn the screen off and put it down. I assume I forgot to turn the screen off last night, but if I did it appears the auto sleep failed to work so it sat at the main menu with no activity for 24 hours. I know sometimes I will turn the screen off, then plug in the charger and the screen will turn back on, so then I will have to turn it off again. Maybe I forgot this time, but that definitely shouldn't be something you have to do every time.

I honestly can't remember if the screen was on or not when I picked it up tonight. I was more concerned/perplexed by how warm it was to really notice. But I definitely know I've left the system on once or twice (fell asleep, went to make dinner, whatever) and its always gone into sleep mode from inactivity.

I think I will call NoA even if the burn in fades over time because this to me suggests the auto sleep functionality is not working as intended.

Waking up in a bag/case is a concern of mine too. The Zelda case I have will cause the analog sticks to click in, so I always have the case open and put the Switch in its spot in the case with it plugged in, just so I know nothing will accidentally hit a button.

I'll keep everyone updated. I guess for now the lesson is to be careful with sleep mode while charging :/

So you were charging in Handheld mode and not docked?

What we have to figure out is if the screen timeout works when charging in Handheld mode.

Woah, sorry dude.

Call Nintendo and ask for a replacement.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Isn't that because when you use the Joy-cons, you always wake it with the right joy-con? And then have to press the L button so that the Switch realizes that it's there?
I don't typically wake it with the joy con to begin with since it's right there, easy to reach.
If you're truly having big problems with your left joycon, contact Nintendo customer service to get a new one under your warranty.

Yeah will have to look into that.

derFeef

So I made a US account and a JP account via website.
Now all I need to do is create new users on the switch and then log in with those accounts? Can I somehow screw this up?

Sendou

Anyone else have this thing in the handheld mode where the fan revs up crazy and the only thing that makes it go down is going to sleep mode and back? Happened to me couple times now. I mean I was playing Zelda but I had just started and I don't think the fan is supposed to ever be like that in handheld mode.

NoKisum

Anyone got tips on a longer power cable for the dock? I had thought simply buying a long USB cable + wall charger would do the trick, but then the Switch gave me a warning about not being able to charge with it.

Reposting for visibility. Also, any recommendations for a LAN adapter outside of the HORI one? It keeps going out of stock, and I don't feel like paying $40+ for it.

fantomena

AFter 1 day with the Switch, with the games Shovel Knight, Zelda, 1-2 Switch and Snipperclips, these are my thoughts:

- I love the screen and the device it self.
- It was actually at first confusing how to remove the joycons from the Switch. I pressed the minus and plus buttons first to remove it ,didnt' find the button in the back a bit later.
- Needs more options in the menu, like arranging game iicons, folders
- I need Netflix, YT and a browser, asap
- I need to get a Pro controller, don't like to play Zelda with the joy cons or the joycon holder thing.
- Need better download speeds.
- My country needs better options of screen protectors. amfilm and orzly aren't avaialble here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom