• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| September 2017

shaneo632

Just saw Kingsman: The Golden Circle. 5.2/10. Stunned how mediocre it was. Writing was such a mess and 141 minute runtime was ridiculous.

Icolin

Banned
Just saw Kingsman: The Golden Circle. 5.2/10. Stunned how mediocre it was. Writing was such a mess and 141 minute runtime was ridiculous.

So I take it that it's worse than The Secret Service? Bummer. I'll still see it but this isn't great to hear!

HoJu

mother! was fun. Loved the first half, it hit the same comedy/horror notes as Rosemary's Baby and Michelle Pfeiffer was hilarious. Then it went off the rails and stopped being as funny, but became more enjoyable to just experience it as a surreal, nightmarish thrill ride than to unpack the symbolism. 7/10

C4Lukins

This will include some TV shows, but these are my ratings so far in 2017.

Mother! 6
Little Evil- 6
Death Note-5
Dunkirk-7
Tour de Pharmacy-7
Inconceivable-4
Spider-Man Homecoming- 8
Glow-8
You Get Me- 2
Shimmer Lake-6
Okja-7
Alien Covenant-7
Dumb: The Story of Big Brother Magazine-7
Five Came Back- 9
Ghost in the Shell-6
Life-6
Beauty and the Beast-4
The Belko Experiment-6
Free Fire-8
Kong Skull Island-6
Logan: 9
Lego Batman:5
John Wick 2-6
iBoy-5
Get Out:6
XX:4

Ridley327

Lupin the Third: Castle of Cagliostro: A delightful caper film propelled by incredibly inventive action sequences and the always reliable charm of Lupin and crew. Despite being his first feature film, it's rather remarkable just how much Miyazaki had already nailed down with the particulars of his craft, to the point where someone could tell me that this was actually Studio Ghibli's first feature film and I'd have no problem believing them. Tons of great fun from start to finish.

kevin1025

Banned
I think I may be the top of the post list...

A Ghost Story

I liked the movie during the first 30 minutes, and then once it hit the scene where Rooney Mara listens to the song, it all clicked for me. It went places I did not expect, hit moments I did not think it would land, and has a lot to say in its mostly silent moments. The score needs a special call out, because it is fantastic. Definitely a top 10 of the year (for now).

C4Lukins

A Ghost Story

I liked the movie during the first 30 minutes, and then once it hit the scene where Rooney Mara listens to the song, it all clicked for me. It went places I did not expect, hit moments I did not think it would land, and has a lot to say in its mostly silent moments. The score needs a special call out, because it is fantastic. Definitely a top 10 of the year (for now).

I recently purchased that film. I just need to get into the mood to watch it.

Icolin

Banned

A Ghost Story

Right on.

Lupin the Third: Castle of Cagliostro: A delightful caper film propelled by incredibly inventive action sequences and the always reliable charm of Lupin and crew. Despite being his first feature film, it's rather remarkable just how much Miyazaki had already nailed down with the particulars of his craft, to the point where someone could tell me that this was actually Studio Ghibli's first feature film and I'd have no problem believing them. Tons of great fun from start to finish.

Love this film.

UrbanRats

Before the devil knows you're dead - Solid Lumet. Hoffman was great in it, Hawk was doing funny clown faces, but it worked.
No subs on Netflix, so i could understand only 60% of whatever Albert Finney was mumbling.

A Ghost Story

Hell yeah. Probably my favourite of the year so far.

shaneo632

Jailbreak (2017) [LFF #2] - 6.1/10. The festival notes compared this one to The Raid, but it's a much goofier and well, less good, film.

Still, it was made for barely $250,000 and boasts some electric fight choreography, even if it's fairly repetitive and constrained by its budget. Oh, and anytime a Cambodian actor tries to speak English I cringed at how terrible their delivery was.

Heading into London tomorrow afternoon to catch two festival press screenings; Takashi Miike's 100th film Blade of the Immortal and Ingrid Goes West.

dickroach

anyone seen Rebel in the Rye? it's got a 30something on Rotten Tomatoes, but it can't be THAT bad, can it?
Update: yeah. Yeah it can. One of the worst movies I've ever seen

it's like someone handed the director a Salinger biography, earmarked a page right before he went to Columbia, and another page right when Catcher in the Rye got published, and said "fit this into 90 minutes. don't worry about pacing, making Salinger interesting, making anything that happens in his life interesting, giving any of the other characters purpose or charisma, writing good dialogue, making any of the plot points seem important.... oh, and then introduce the woman he marries and has children with, but do it so the audience couldn't give two shits about her"
there's one scene, right after his book gets published, where there's a nut kid standing outside his apartment dressed like Holden saying "I am Holden Caufield. how did you know my story?" or something to that effect. really creepy, well done scene. everything else is utter trash

lordxar

Fresh Meat Needed a cannibal flick for my Letterboxd list and unfortunately this was it. What a piece of shit. I mean I can watch Sharknado or at least have it in the background and get some entertainment from it but this was right up there with Yoga Hosers. It tried to be funny but just wasn't. Avoid.

Mountain of the Cannibal God I thought the lead chick had way too big a forehead. Probably petty but I couldn't overlook the damn thing. Her boobs were nice at least. As to the film itself knock about 20 or 30 minutes of National Geographic type stuff out and this might have been a lot better. You know that Friday the 13th that was in NY but not really. It was largely on a boat and the last few minutes are where the title says? Yea...same with this. Lots of boring lead up and a small violent return. Better than last nights shit fest I guess. The one redeeming thing was this
cannibal dude fucking the shit out of a pig
I mean out of the blue BLAM
pig fucker
. Couldn't help but laugh.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to see Kingsman (first time battling opening night reserved seating with Moviepass... here's to).

I'll probably watch Friend Request and Lego Ninjago next week. Excited about the former, not so much the latter especially since I hate ninjas and I did not like Lego Batman. Will see Mother when my partner gets her Moviepass :3

Lots of movies gonna get watched hehehehe

kevin1025

Banned
Why go see IT for horror when you can see the Twilight films and get 4 times (are there 4 movies?) the horror from the comfort of your own home!

Five! They split the last book for some reason (money, money is the reason). The fifth movie has the most hideous form known to cinema within its depths.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to see Kingsman (first time battling opening night reserved seating with Moviepass... here's to).

I'll probably watch Friend Request and Lego Ninjago next week. Excited about the former, not so much the latter especially since I hate ninjas and I did not like Lego Batman. Will see Mother when my partner gets her Moviepass :3

Lots of movies gonna get watched hehehehe

I wasn't so interested in seeing the Lego Ninjago movie until I heard about a certain thing, and now I'm dying to see it.

Moviepass seems like a gift from the heavens. Darn it, Canada, why must you forsake me!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
La Isla Minima (Marshlands, Alberto Rodríguez, Spain 2014, IMDb) What a ride. Beautifully shot thriller with a very interesting and (for me) mostly unfamiliar background/period combination. I know the region a bit from holidays, but only from long after Franco was gone. Interesting to note this came out in the same year as True Detective and that series and this movie sharing some aspects in atmosphere and vibe. I can see why people compared the two, though ultimately they're very different in their payoff. Loved all the overhead/topdown shots of the region, marshlands and rivers.

Just read the director is now working on a TV series situated in Seville during the bubonic plagues of the 15th century. Looking forward to seeing how that works out, if La Isla Minima is any indication it could be very interesting.

Darkman - 1990 - I liked it, visual effects have certainly come a long way.
I'm tempted to watch the Neesonless sequels...

Also watched The Mummy remake...

Liam-Neeson.gif

Blind bought the blu Ray of The Big Sick and watched it last night. Thought it was an incredibly sweet and sincere story and a very well done movie. About half way through though I was going to criticize Kumail's acting for not really showing a ton of emotion, but that changed not long after that. Loved the movie.

I looked back at Andrew Dominik's neo-western masterpiece, which turns 10 today:

The Mythic Power of ‘The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford'

From the opening frames of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Andrew Dominik stokes the flames of our own fascination with the infamous outlaw. We learn of his seventeen claimed murders, countless robberies, the bullet holes in his chest, the missing nub of his middle finger, and the fact that even his children didn't know his name. It affixes a mythic power to his persona: it's also said that time slows, rains fall straighter, sounds are amplified, and rooms become hotter when he's around. When a sheepish, fawning Robert Ford soon enters the frame, there's no other convincing necessary for us to empathize with his fixation.

This early-established folkloric weight and timelessness runs throughout Dominik's neo-western masterpiece. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis' mournful, transfixing score seems plucked from the era, and Roger Deakins achieves a career-topping cinematographic feat of hazy vignettes and expansive vistas. Dominik's adaptation of a novel written by Ron Hansen a quarter-century prior — which depicted real-life events 100 years prior to that — feels ageless not only due to a world that feels spectacularly authentic, but because of how acutely it depicts the nature of celebrity and obsession. As these themes are filtered through the anxious, alluring perspective of Ford, Affleck plays him with a boyish inner torment, achieving a bewitching harmony with the enigma of James.

More at the link.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle has an interesting parallel with Kickass 2. They share the same producer, they're both sequels to surprise hits based on comic book series written by Mark Millar, and they're both significant worse films than the original.

Kingsman GC isn't a horrible, awful film, but its awfully mediocre, especially after the first one. It tries to turn everything up to 11 compared to the original, but fails to live up to the original in nearly every way. The bad guy's tone is all over the place and the evil plan doesn't make such sense. The action scenes are fun, but there's nothing as crazy or as satisfying as the church scene/exploding heads from the first one. There's a character who gets a big twist reveal with zero set up for it, or that character being given much depth. The 'sex joke' is somehow even more gross than the original, border line rape joke territory. The female characters are undeveloped and flimsy. There's a plot device to bring Colin Firth's Galahad back into the franchise, but the way its done is complete and utter nonsense. The celebrity cameo is funny at first, but then gets completely over used.

Chaning Tatum's 'Tequila' character is introduced very quickly and then disappears very quickly, which was especially disappointing. Firth and Jeff Bridges 'champ' characters needed more screen time, a lot more. It arguably lacks the visual flair and soundtrack of the first film.

All of that sounds incredibly negative, and it is. On the other hand, it was fun enough, Taron Egerton is still a great lead, and it made me snigger enough times to be considered kinda funny. That being said, its not a patch on the original, although not being as bad as Kickass 2, and overall is at best, a distraction you'll forget about after watching it.

Sean C

First They Killed My Father (2017): Angelina Jolie's earlier Unbroken had really effectives sequences in it, but didn't work as a narrative (particularly since Jolie seemed not to know what to do with the protagonist's religiosity). This film is an improvement on her earlier work, and she clearly has talent as a filmmaker. I don't think this approaches greatness, mainly because the narrative she's chosen is the story of a seven-year-old girl being shuffled through the non-stop horror show of the Khmer Rouge. She adheres closely to her protagonist's POV, which means there's fairly limited scope for character development, since a seven-year-old isn't going to have much agency in these situations. The key emotional moments do land pretty well.

smisk

Anyone want to tell me what I should think of mother!(2017)? There's a lot to like about the film.. The cinematography, sound design, the acting (and Lawrence's performance in particular). It really excels at creating that dreamlike sensation I enjoy in David Lynch's work, where something unfamiliar is happening in a place that should be normal.. But I gotta say, the last act didn't work for me at all. Reminded me of Children of Men a lot, but I think it was just too over the top.
Read some reviews on Letterboxd and everyone acts like the Garden of Eden allegory is super obvious. I see it in retrospect, but at the time I didn't pick up on it at all. Best I could parse is that he was trying to make a statement about the nature of art/being an artist, but it didn't do much for me.
Hard to recommend to most people, and has some really disturbing scenes, but might be worth checking out if you're tolerant of weird shit.

lordxar

Freaks First time seeing this and I'm not really sure how to rate it. On the one hand its content and style are ancient by today's standards and certain aspects are meh but at the same time this is a classic and very cool yet a bit timeless in the tale it tells. I did have a bit of a hard time getting used to the accents which made the beginning a bit less enjoyable but happily can now cross this one off the list.

Ridley327

The Might Peking Man: Exactly what you expect out of Hong Kong ripping off Hollywood remaking an old film. The film is at its best prior to heading back to Hong Kong, as the initial expedition is so fraught with incident (Elephant stampedes! Leg-chomping tigers! Unusually fast quicksand! Flashbacks to love triangles!) even before coming across our title character that the cheese factor is just right for maximum entertainment value. Once we're introduced to the big guy and his lovely ward (Evelyne Kraft, who more or less spends the entire film topless), we take a detour into the completely ridiculous that culminates in a wild montage of cobras apparently filled with arousal venom, romance and leopard spinning, all topped off by a ballad overwhelming all other sources for audio. Once we head back into Hong Kong, the film gets more predictable at this point, opting to follow its chief source of "inspiration" more closely to substantially diminished effect. Even the ending recalls 1976's King Kong quite pointedly, right down to the substantially more violent death of the big bastard than had been done back in 1933, so it's not even doing anything particularly more salacious. That kind of déjà vu robs a lot of the potential the film had, especially when it starts out so deliriously right, leaving you feeling fairly underwhelmed and hoping that they had more leopards to spin around to spice things up. It's still an entertaining film, no question about that, but it could have been even better if it hadn't followed so closely in the footsteps of the film that it was ripping off.

kevin1025

Banned
I'll lead with My Night With Henry.

The Book of Henry

It's a real shame we didn't get Colin Trevorrow on Episode IX. The emotional pathos the other two films set up... it would have been fascinating to watch it burn and then the wind take the ashes away. This movie is fucking nuts. I can't tell if it wants to be a drama, or a very bizarre melodramatic dramedy, or is just something not of this earth. Naomi Watts was infuriating, well, her character is. She's the child while Henry is the adult, buying stock after school on a payphone and setting bonds and apparently getting his mom $600,000 and yet she's still a waitress with Sarah Silverman? And then when he tries to explain it all, she doesn't want to listen. Plus she plays Gears of War a lot. It has some hardcore Lifetime vibes, and some really twisted dark overtones, and the third act is brain melting (
the son, who died from cancer, sets up a murder plot with a sniper rifle for his mother to carry out... no, fucking really
). The movie was also super vague on its time period until halfway through where iPhones and iPad Mini's are busted out. This is one for the ages.

Hardcore Henry

Outside of Sharlto Copley and the pretty impressive action stunts, I didn't have a great time. It's fine! But nothing special.

Only God Forgives

Beautiful, troubled, and mesmerizing, the movie is a dream spilled out onto the screen. But like a dream, not all is solid, and so some things work, and some really do not. I liked it, but some of it was baffling (and not in a over-the-head sort of way).

The Wall

Had some really good stuff in it. I liked how it all played out, but it's a little slight --- which is on purpose. The tension was great.The ending didn't work for me, I felt a little cheapened by it.

Personal Shopper

A Ghost Story Part II! It's interesting watching it after A Ghost Story, with how they approach life after death... but they part ways at that point and tell vastly different stories. Kristen Stewart is real good, and the movie took a turn that I was not anticipating, which was a nice surprise.

The Wolverine

Watching this some months after Logan (and it's my first time seeing it). There's the flashes of brilliance that Logan had in there, buried deep, but I found myself a little bored through portions of it. It felt like it was going through the motions. But it nails Wolverine, Hugh Jackman does excellently well, and the bullet train part was real cool.

Sing Street

Holy shit, this is the good stuff. Irish misfits create a band, and spend their time making music videos while the lead tries to impress a girl. It's so damn great, and has a lot of charm and heart and humor built into it. If only I'd watched it last year, it would have likely ranked.

jett

D-Member
I looked back at Andrew Dominik's neo-western masterpiece, which turns 10 today:

The Mythic Power of ‘The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford’

From the opening frames of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Andrew Dominik stokes the flames of our own fascination with the infamous outlaw. We learn of his seventeen claimed murders, countless robberies, the bullet holes in his chest, the missing nub of his middle finger, and the fact that even his children didn’t know his name. It affixes a mythic power to his persona: it’s also said that time slows, rains fall straighter, sounds are amplified, and rooms become hotter when he’s around. When a sheepish, fawning Robert Ford soon enters the frame, there’s no other convincing necessary for us to empathize with his fixation.

This early-established folkloric weight and timelessness runs throughout Dominik’s neo-western masterpiece. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis’ mournful, transfixing score seems plucked from the era, and Roger Deakins achieves a career-topping cinematographic feat of hazy vignettes and expansive vistas. Dominik’s adaptation of a novel written by Ron Hansen a quarter-century prior — which depicted real-life events 100 years prior to that — feels ageless not only due to a world that feels spectacularly authentic, but because of how acutely it depicts the nature of celebrity and obsession. As these themes are filtered through the anxious, alluring perspective of Ford, Affleck plays him with a boyish inner torment, achieving a bewitching harmony with the enigma of James.

More at the link.

I'm due for a rewatch of this great movie.

Rushmore was very good, and I've loved Jason Schwartzman ever since i fell in love with Scott Pilgrim, but I think this was the wrong pick for the mood I'm in. I'll need to give this another watch at some point in the future.

UrbanRats

For whatever reason, yesterday i watched Prince of Egypt.

Songs weren't as good as i remembered.
Animation is fantastic.
God's a dick.

shaneo632

6 Days (2017) [LFF #3] - 6.1/10. A pretty basic but well-directed and soldily acted siege thriller, with Mark Strong and Jamie Bell turning in compelling performances.

It's a shame the terrorists weren't rendered in any detail, though, and the film probably could've felt more substantial with a longer run-time.

Blade of the Immortal (2017) [LFF #4] - 6.3/10. Takashi Miike's 100th film is pretty much the summation of his life's work; bloody, brutal, hilarious, and indulgently overlong. At 140 minutes and with an occasionally glacial pace, I did find myself drifting out of the story, but then another nutty side character would introduce themselves and I'd be glued to it again.

Surprisingly restrained on the geysers of blood front, but the film does feature more severed limbs than maybe any movie save for Kill Bill Vol. 1.

Ingrid Goes West (2017) [LFF #5] - 7.5/10. This one greatly exceeded my expectations. Aubrey Plaza was hysterical in the title role and the movie was for the most part a clever look at what happens when you throw social media nonsense, celebrity worship and mental illness into a perfect storm.

Ice Cube's son was also terrific and the frequent highlight. The Batman stuff was hilarious even though I can imagine some might find it excessive.

The third act gets a little less interesting when the film becomes more of a caper and less plausible as a result, but it sticks the landing well with an amusingly dark conclusion that clings to the film's core themes well.

UrbanRats

Blade of the Immortal (2017) [LFF #4] - 6.3/10. Takashi Miike's 100th film is pretty much the summation of his life's work; bloody, brutal, hilarious, and indulgently overlong. At 140 minutes and with an occasionally glacial pace, I did find myself drifting out of the story, but then another nutty side character would introduce themselves and I'd be glued to it again.

Surprisingly restrained on the geysers of blood front, but the film does feature more severed limbs than maybe any movie save for Kill Bill Vol. 1.

Not surprising, considering the source material.
I haven't read the manga since i was a kid, but i remember the author having a "thing" for that type stuff.

dickroach

the poster for Good Time has been catching my eye for a few weeks. finally got around to seeing it.

not a movie with a message, and I don't think it's one that'll leave a lasting impression, but it was a really fun ride.

the whole movie's about Pattinson's lowlife character adventure to get out of the mess he got himself into by robbing a bank (he was fantastic btw), but there's a scene in the middle where a side character is telling his story about getting into some shit the day before, and for 5+ minutes the movie is that guy's story, and you really get lost in it for a bit. I wish more movies did stuff like that

It Comes At Night (2017) - first things first: terrible fucking title. Nothing comes at night. If you're gonna title a horror movie with 'night' in the title, then vampires would be expected. This title says "there will be vampires in this movie."

That being said, I thought they nailed the paranoia of a post-apocalyptic survivalist trying to keep his family from contracting the sickness. Great sense of isolation, and that "trust nobody" perspective comes across very well. Joel Edgerton is excellent as the patriarch with the meticulous rules for staying alive, but as usual in these things, all hell will eventually break loose.

A compact, tense thriller that kept me engaged through its short 90 minute runtime.

That being said, there are some blatant loopholes in the plot that left us scratching our heads and asking questions after. Shrug.

3.5 / 5

Icolin

Banned
After seeing Kundun and Koyaanisqatsi again recently: I need more films with Philip Glass soundtracks to come out.

AoM

Hell or High Water (2016)

I had heard great things about this, but ended up finding it just okay. I guess my expectations were too high.

It went by really fast, but also really slow. I didn't feel like I could connect with any of the characters (with the exception of Bridges and what happens there). I don't know. Just felt like not much there.

It Comes At Night (2017) - first things first: terrible fucking title. Nothing comes at night. If you're gonna title a horror movie with 'night' in the title, then vampires would be expected. This title says "there will be vampires in this movie."
Night of the Living Dead?
Silent Night?
Prom Night?

The "It Comes" part is more problematic than the "Night" part

lordxar

Frankenstein 1931 Finally got around to seeing this and it makes for film number 200 for the year. Its good to watch this from way back. Too many sequels, prequels, copies, wannabes, and stinkers later really skewed what I thought this would be like, all monster and no other. Turns out doc Franky is getting married and the monster is a bit more human than roided out hulk on a rampage and I liked it!

Frankenstein 1931 Finally got around to seeing this and it makes for film number 200 for the year. Its good to watch this from way back. Too many sequels, prequels, copies, wannabes, and stinkers later really skewed what I thought this would be like, all monster and no other. Turns out doc Franky is getting married and the monster is a bit more human than roided out hulk on a rampage and I liked it!
Have you ever read the book? I remember being shocked by how different the original story was after only knowing about the movies

C4Lukins

I listed like 25 films, it is not hard to imagine that a few of them will not line up with others individual preferences.

But to explain those two choices.

Alien Covenant: It could just as easily be a 6. I really enjoyed Promethius, and while Alien Covenant is not a great Alien film, it is a good follow up to Promethius. Nothing will beat the first two Alien films, but if you look at these prequels and lore on their own, I really dig them.

Lego Batman: I loved the Lego Movie. But this just did nothing for me . Galalanakisisim was a bad Joker. I normally like him, but not so much here.

I dunno I could do a huge write up on it, but it did little for me. A few jokes hit, most did not. It was a completely adequate film, but I was super disappointed.

Top Bottom