• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betsy DeVos makes Trump look like a poser; Uses her own plane, doesn't bill the gov

Syriel

Say what you will about DeVos and her beliefs, but at least she's walking the talk when it comes to saving taxpayer dollars.

Trump brags about no salary, but then funnels millions of dollars to his companies.

DeVos pays (almost) all of her own travel bills, and doesn't ask the gov for reimbursement.

Unlike her predecessors, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos does not fly commercial airlines when she travels on the job. Instead, she takes her own private plane — and never bills the government, according to a spokeswoman.

But DeVos has billed the government only once for travel since she took office — $184 for a round-trip Amtrak ticket to Philadelphia. Hill said DeVos plans to donate her government salary.

Her predecessor, John King Jr., spent $39,000 on travel, according to records, and about $28,000 on flights during his first six months on the job. In an interview with The Washington Post, he said he always flew “on regular commercial flights” when he traveled and typically flew coach.

“Always coach, although occasionally I’d upgrade if there was a blessing from the frequent flyer gods,” King said.

Source:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...she-travels-and-does-not-bill-the-government/

Ishan

Can agree with the renting trump properties but it would just be idiotic for trump as potus to not use air force one that's just simply too great a security risk

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I'll gladly pay the travel expenses of someone advocating for public education. $28,000 for 6 months is a bargain.

Nether!

It's so phoney when people try to make a scandal out of legitimate expenses for being a public servant.
A high level federal employee should be expensing travel in the interest of their job.
DeVos isn't doing any favours to America by flying in her private jet.

When someone claims that they will work without tacking government money you may want to ask them who does pay into their bank account then? I rather someone be a civil servent paid to do their job for their employer, us, and being accountable than a subversive corporate puppet.

This isn't worth a thread unless her private plane crashes.

EDIT: I take it back because there is innocent people onboard that plane. But maybe they can do an aerial maneuver and she will accidentally fall out.

DeVos has billed the government only once for travel since she took office — $184 for a round-trip Amtrak ticket to Philadelphia.
If you're filthy rich beyond belief, why the fuck would you expense for freaking $184?

It's so phoney when people try to make a scandal out of legitimate expenses for being a public servant.
A high level federal employee should be expensing travel in the interest of their job.
DeVos isn't doing any favours to America by flying in her private jet.
I mean if the alternative otherwise would be to charter private jets all the time for no apparent reason at the taxpayer's expense like Tom Price (at least $300,000 worth so far, including a $25,000 trip just last week to ferry him and Kellyane Conway from DC to Philly), then yes, it's better for her to pay her own way. DeVos is not gonna stoop to flying commercial economy like a peasant.

Of course, it's ridiculous to give any credit to a billionaire for flying in her own private jet without billing the government for it, lol. At best it just stands in contrast to even worse excesses in the admin.

BmCkRC1.jpg

Ogodei

If the need for security is a thing, you can't really argue against that.

Agreed. But it's a good way to illustrate how low a bar Trump sets.

She just got spooked by a street protester in her first week A brief encounter with reality brought the need for constant armed guards :-/

Rich person doesn't bill the government for flight, but is still a horrible person who's trying to dismantle progress made in the education department.

She doesn't need to bill the government.

The government will pay her back in spades when she pushes funding toward charter schools.

Look you can say what you want a out the kkk but I saw 3 of them carpool, that's pretty good for the environment.
Is what this thread feels like

Zenner

If she's on the public dime, wouldn't her conversations, actions & whatnot become part of the public record? Maybe that's what she's trying to avoid. ¯\(°_o)/¯

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
This shit isn't cute. I don't want hear about government officials through a Robin Leach filter.

Zubz

Banned
This is, like, the shakiest praise imaginable. She's still a terrible person; her doing something that doesn't overtly screw over the American taxpayer in one instance out of many doesn't excuse shit like defending rapists & silencing their victims.

Yup, I feel much better knowing that the person in charge of American youth's education is not just a terrible person, but a filthy rich terrible person.

Thanks for the great news OP!

the kind of money DeVos & co. are playing with...

no reason to bother filling out the forms for some little travel reimbursement.

Top Bottom