• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: I understand Grixis Death Shadow is the most popular deck in the top tables, but showing it every single round is rather tiring.
are they supposed to show players not up for contention?

The way pros are flocking to DS is reminiscent of infect. Expect a ban on something sooner rather than later.

Zocano

Is grixis death's shadow really that oppressive? I know consistency and resilience makes for a strong deck but does that really warrant a ban for something in the deck?

Zocano

I don't even play death's shadow, just think it's weird to be very ban happy so often. Might just be cause it's leading out of the worst standard ever but marvel was beyond oppressive and also kind of too far in the luck side of the spectrum.

Is grixis death's shadow really that oppressive? I know consistency and resilience makes for a strong deck but does that really warrant a ban for something in the deck?
Has anyone seen jund? Pour one out for the decks that have fallen by the wayside.

If it's not oppressive it's definitely pretty meta warping

red13th

I feel it's like Miracles, not oppressive but way better than anything else and kind of metagame warping. Then again there is always a best deck.

ironmang

It's currently the best performing deck but definitely not oppressive. Pod and Eldrazi were oppressive. What would you even ban? Street Wraith and Shadow are really the only potential targets imo. Snapcaster is probably the next most essential card and banning that effectively kills any viability of blue control.

hermit7

Why is that dude's deck so thick? Does he sleeve his deck with toploaders?

I think it is triple sleeved. Inner, regular, and then character guards or w/e they are called to go over art sleeves.

Ari lax is a douche as usual it seems. Dude dropped a card while shuffling and he called a judge.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Has anyone seen jund? Pour one out for the decks that have fallen by the wayside.

If it's not oppressive it's definitely pretty meta warping
Jund is outmoded. Shadow is a better midrange deck and Abzan is a better traditional midrange deck in a shadow meta.

Time to unban BBE.

Santiako

Jund is outmoded. Shadow is a better midrange deck and Abzan is a better traditional midrange deck in a shadow meta.

Time to unban BBE.

I believe he's talking about Jund Death's Shadow (the traverse/goyf/bauble one). That was the deck to beat for a bit before people realised that you can play Anglers and Tasigurs and Stubborn Denials instead of bad cards like Tarfire and Bauble.

Time to unban BBE.
Or just knock DS down a peg and see where it goes.
I believe he's talking about Jund Death's Shadow (the traverse/goyf/bauble one). That was the deck to beat for a bit before people realised that you can play Anglers and Tasigurs and Stubborn Denials instead of bad cards like Tarfire and Bauble.
I was referring to Jund in general a pillarstone of the format completely gone seemingly.

red13th

That deck is super cheap too why quad sleeve it? lol
Modern is hilarious, I think right now it's more fun to watch than 4-colour bonanza Legacy.

Zocano

I'd prefer no bans in that case

This is where I'm at, too. The deck isn't completely oppressive like marvel was (and jund or stoneforge were) and if the idea is to ban something just to knock it out slightly, I feel like it's the wrong move by far.

Daedardus

Is the deck triple or quad sleeved? Because quad would mean overkill on top of overkill, and triple is already a bridge too far. How much is his deck even worth?

Santiako

I need a decklist for taking turns

I screencaped it:

NpnOitm.jpg

Hero

I think it is triple sleeved. Inner, regular, and then character guards or w/e they are called to go over art sleeves.

Ari lax is a douche as usual it seems. Dude dropped a card while shuffling and he called a judge.

If that is true about him calling a judge then I hope Ari loses here.

Even though I rarely, rarely ever take it out of the deck box, I'd feel bad for my Living End deck if Street Wraith takes a ban.

I suppose it's time to sell/trade them at this point while they are like, nearly $10 each.

Modern isn't at all at a place where it needs a ban to be healthy. Wait around, see what happens with some more time and some more set releases, and then ban something if DS actually hates out enough other stuff to wreck the metagame.

hermit7

If that is true about him calling a judge then I hope Ari loses here.

Well he ended up losing. It just kind of rubbed me the wrong way in terms of it being an honest mistake. I know there have been other times where he has been called for things similar.

The turns deck is sweet. Cast tasigur, miracle a temporal mastery and just attack him for lethal. Chalice is a hell of a card.

traveler

Not Wario
I went to sleep at 11 pm last night while my roommate, who has a flight at 6 am this morning, stayed up to order and eat pizza. I woke up at 1 am randomly and noticed he fell asleep on a futon with his phone open, all the lights on and none of his stuff packed. I decided to set my own alarm for 3:30 am to make sure he got up in time to pack and make it thinking that if I woke him then to the same end he'd end up waking me up when he left anyways.

I wake up with him in the morning, make sure everything's in order, and go back to sleep after setting my alarm to 7 am to make sure I have time to eat for my med's and checkout before heading to the tourney for modern at 9. I sleep through my ipad, phone, and the clock alarm and wake up at 845.

I'm rush to the tourney with my left foot completely soaking my sock and shoe in blood from a now burst blister on the back of my heel agitated by me running to the convenation center. I clean it up as best i can but atill need to rush to the table. I make it to my table 2 minutes into the round and the judge gives me a game loss for beING late. I play a close game against a merfolk opportunity who I run out of cards and get down to a single master. He goes to his turn, draws, and swings with it. I activate a colonnade and he vials in the last lord he drew to islandwalk through it, win the game and by extension the match.

At 7 3 still needing to check out before 11 and beginning to feel withdrawal effects from beING a day and a half off cycle from my antidepressants, I drop. Checked on the ptqs for the day and found out I was a few minutes late to join. Just packed up and decided to leave Vegas. Hour of devastation indeed.

As far as the deck itself goes, I felt it was perfectly positioned for the tourney. Disn't play a single match I didn't think I could win.

It's actually boil
I went to sleep at 11 pm last night while my roommate, who has a flight at 6 am this morning, stayed up to order and eat pizza. I woke up at 1 am randomly and noticed he fell asleep on a futon with his phone open, all the lights on and none of his stuff packed. I decided to set my own alarm for 3:30 am to make sure he got up in time to pack and make it thinking that if I woke him then to the same end he'd end up waking me up when he left anyways.

I wake up with him in the morning, make sure everything's in order, and go back to sleep after setting my alarm to 7 am to make sure I have time to eat for my med's and checkout before heading to the tourney for modern at 9. I sleep through my ipad, phone, and the clock alarm and wake up at 845.

I'm rush to the tourney with my left foot completely soaking my sock and shoe in blood from a now burst blister on the back of my heel agitated by me running to the convenation center. I clean it up as best i can but atill need to rush to the table. I make it to my table 2 minutes into the round and the judge gives me a game loss for beING late. I play a close game against a merfolk opportunity who I run out of cards and get down to a single master. He goes to his turn, draws, and swings with it. I activate a colonnade and he vials in the last lord he drew to islandwalk through it, win the game and by extension the match.

At 7 3 still needing to check out before 11 and beginning to feel withdrawal effects from beING a day and a half off cycle from my antidepressants, I drop. Checked on the ptqs for the day and found out I was a few minutes late to join. Just packed up and decided to leave Vegas. Hour of devastation indeed.

As far as the deck itself goes, I felt it was perfectly positioned for the tourney. Disn't play a single match I didn't think I could win.
damn that's some tough beats.

Hero

Damn, traveler, sorry to hear about that. Good job with your performance though.

Glad to see the Taking Turns player win. That deck seems super sweet.

And yay, another Death's Shadow deck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom