• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS North American Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
demolitio said:
I'm taking a guess you can't preorder the 3DS at Best Buy anymore? One employee said it was probably too late since that stupid preorder machine just said "coming soon".
Gamestop seems to still be taking preorders.

StickSoldier said:
Man shit, I'm so torn on getting either blue or black. I like the blue most of the time in pictures but sometimes it looks bad, so I guess it's just based on lighting. The black one just seems like kind of plain to me, but it has a certain appeal to it at the same time. I already preordered the blue so I guess I'll stick with it, since I usually don't go with the black, I'm just hoping that I don't regret getting blue. Atleast it doesn't look like the original DS rofl.
If you're in doubt it's impossible to go wrong with black since that's the standard for slickness. That aqua/blue/green colour sure is cute though........

wonderfuldays said:
Neither of them are best color. Stick your choice now and sold it for RED later.

Haha yeah that red color is sick, I had the DS lite with the shiny red color and the rest black, so I can dig the red 3DS.

Dreamwriter said:
Get both, take the back panel off of one and put it on the other, to make your own unique color! The entire back panel comes off for battery replacement.

Lol, I bet the black with a blue cover would be pretty badass.. Maybe if i get the black nyko battery, I'll be able to pull off a cool color with the Blue 3ds.

AceBandage said:
Red, or a Grey one with White Zelda symbols on it would be awesome.

hmm, I bet grey would actually be a really good color for the 3DS. I remember having the gold gb pocket, it was awesome. Wouldn't mind seeing what a gold 3ds would look like.

AceBandage said:
Nah, Lithium Ion batteries don't have a memory like the old Nickle ones.

First, I believe you.

However, to this day, every time I buy something with a rechargeable battery, the manual strongly encourages you to charge it all the way before using the system/device. I assume this is some sort of CYA for the manufacturer?

Dr. Zoidberg said:
First, I believe you.

However, to this day, every time I buy something with a rechargeable battery, the manual strongly encourages you to charge it all the way before using the system/device. I assume this is some sort of CYA for the manufacturer?

Basically.
Plus, they only come with a small charge so they'd rather you plug it in while you're getting started with it.

I tried one of these out today and maybe it was just me or the game I was playing(Pilotwings), but the 3d was horrible. It just looked blurry to me and started giving me headaches until I turned it off. I tried adjusting it back and forth.

traveler

Not Wario
Really debating if I should cancel or not. Unless Ghost Recon turns out to be amazing, I can't see myself getting any launch title. I know I'll definitely want one for Paper Mario or Super Mario 3DS, though, and I can't imagine any revision or price drops hitting before then. Never actually played Link's Awakening or Ocarina (gasp) either, so I wouldn't mind checking those out when they hit. Ah well, guess it's worth picking up now in case of scarcity. Launch window lineup is launch window lineup, though.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
First, I believe you.

Lithium Ion batteries don't like to run completely dry, they work better the less charge that is used (and they don't mind being constantly recharged after being only used a little bit). That's probably why they tell you to charge completely before use.

Az987 said:
I've had things from Amazon ship on Sunday and I got them on Monday. And that was with 2 day shipping too. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed lol

DoomXploder7 said:
yep usually have things ship on sat from them with delivery on monday, while they have delivery estimates saying wednesday.

What states do you two live in? Trying to guess if I could get lucky too (NY).

traveler said:
Really debating if I should cancel or not. Unless Ghost Recon turns out to be amazing, I can't see myself getting any launch title. I know I'll definitely want one for Paper Mario or Super Mario 3DS, though, and I can't imagine any revision or price drops hitting before then. Never actually played Link's Awakening or Ocarina (gasp) either, so I wouldn't mind checking those out when they hit. Ah well, guess it's worth picking up now in case of scarcity. Launch window lineup is launch window lineup, though.
What the hell you never played Ocarina of Time? Such great shame has befallen you instantly.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Also, all I've heard about DS game issues is that it plays the games just fine, just with a little extra loading when your first boot up, which is manageable. It's not like it introduces extra loading after that.

Thanks for clarifying that. I've heard varied reports.

bZH39.png

Emitan

-Pyromaniac- said:
What the hell you never played Ocarina of Time? Such great shame has befallen you instantly.
Played OoT for 4 hours and stopped and never picked it up again. Loved Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, though. Those are masterpieces.

Luigi87

Billychu said:
Played OoT for 4 hours and stopped and never picked it up again. Loved Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, though. Those are masterpieces.

Posts like this make me want to cry...
I mean, I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but... I don't want them to be in cases like this ;_;

Addendum: Oh, MM and WW are masterpieces though <.<

evangd007

Ok, so I cancelled my Amazon pre-order and got one at Gamestop because Amazon doesn't allow me to split payment among cards, and I wanted to burn some debit gift cards from X-mas on the 3DS. Now I get my Cobalt Blue Monday morning! Can't wait.

evangd007 said:
Ok, so I cancelled my Amazon pre-order and got one at Gamestop because Amazon doesn't allow me to split payment among cards, and I wanted to burn some debit gift cards from X-mas on the 3DS. Now I get my Cobalt Blue Monday morning! Can't wait.

you could not buy an amazon gift card with the debit to use towards it?

Emitan

Smiles and Cries said:
to be fair the US boxart looks more balanced moving her dress thingy

besides you can pause in game right? :3
Xbox version let you take pictures. Maybe now you can have 3D pictures.

AlkalineProdigy

Neo Member
evangd007 said:

Smiles and Cries said:
you could not buy an amazon gift card with the debit to use towards it?

Ya just buy a gift card with the credit you have left over on your cards. You can buy as many as you want with as many cards you want.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Realize that the vast majority of gamers never owned a Nintendo 64, as the Psx demolished it in sales. Same with Gamecube and PS2. Wii had it on the Virtual Console, though...

wwm0nkey

For those worrying about Rayman this was taken from the same guy who said it was trash

I never expected much from a Rayman game in the first place. Personal taste, and all that.

So those of you who bought it can rest easy.

JohngPR

Although I have a Cosmo Black one pre-ordered, I keep wanting to change my preorder to the Aqua Blue one after seeing it at Best Buy. It didn't look as "girlie" as it did in PR shots. What do you guys think?

:p

My launch titles are SSFIV and Pilotwings although I'm not super high on Pilotwings. I know I'll have fun with it, but I'm wondering for how long.

bluenatas09

Neo Member
demolitio said:
I'm taking a guess you can't preorder the 3DS at Best Buy anymore? One employee said it was probably too late since that stupid preorder machine just said "coming soon".

Yeah, the machines they make us use at the store ARE kind of stupid. But the employee was right about whenever it says "coming soon"..it does mean that it's too late to pre-order.

Just know that our website still takes pre-orders but they'll be shipped to your house and NOT available for pickup in store.

(posted this in the Rayman thread)AGH damn you impressions!! I keep wanting to read only good things about Rayman to justify my purchase, but since Ngamer talked shit about it I got worried. Well here's something to ease all of our minds for a bit (I posted this tweet the other day because it sounded like he played Rayman, but apparently he just got it today):

Stuff that I posted yesterday, but these aren't impressions, he hadn't played it when he posted this.
Just posting this tweet so that folks can remember who it was
Corbie Dillard from nintendolife.com (I'm not sure if he's played it or not, he makes it seem like he has though, but take this with a grain of salt)

Quote:
@Samus2008 Pilotwings Resort, Super Street Fighter IV 3D, and Super Monkey Ball 3D are the best after Rayman 3D, IMO.

http://twitter.com/CorbieD

He just posted this on his forum after playing it for the first time
I'm not sure what Ngamer were looking for, but I've played the hell out of the Dreamcast version and this is looking and playing quite well to me so far. Long way to go, but I'm just not seeing all of the complaints they brought up. To each his own, though. :)

And yes, I'll have the review of Rayman 3D up on Friday morning.

Man I dont know, I think I'm gonna go off what this guy, and the other people have said about Rayman, instead of what Ngamer said. This guy actually was excited for Rayman 3D from reading his first tweet, so unless it gets completely worse, he sounds content with the port. I'd just wait before returning it, chances are that it can still be decent.

Bizzyb

Banned
Jetku said:
Got to satisfy my 3DS hype a little bit today!

Stopped at gamestop and they had the ubisoft games in stock, plus some accessories

I picked up Ghost Recon and the pull and go folio.

Good on ubisoft with releasing games earlier. Had I had a whole launch lineup to choose from, I may have passed it up

Pretty sure they want to get as many "blind sales" as possible before reviews hit. That's really messed up when they themselves even know their software is shit and pull this kind of underhanded stuff.

I don't get what happened to Ubisoft. They have really let their image sink in the gutter. I guess they don't give a damn when they can just sell millions of copies of "Just Dance" and and another Assassins Creed for $$$

Dreamwriter said:
Realize that the vast majority of gamers never owned a Nintendo 64, as the Psx demolished it in sales. Same with Gamecube and PS2. Wii had it on the Virtual Console, though...
I guess I can't relate because I, for some weird reason has about 5 n64s throughout that generation, lol. And I got it on gamecube as well. It's funny, the Wii/DS were the first Nintendo systems I ever skipped, though I have played a bunch of DS games (borrowed).

Glad to be back.

Dreamwriter said:

Um, 35 million N64s were sold.

The vast majority of gamers had one.

Izayoi

Banned
StickSoldier said:
Man shit, I'm so torn on getting either blue or black. I like the blue most of the time in pictures but sometimes it looks bad, so I guess it's just based on lighting. The black one just seems like kind of plain to me, but it has a certain appeal to it at the same time. I already preordered the blue so I guess I'll stick with it, since I usually don't go with the black, I'm just hoping that I don't regret getting blue. Atleast it doesn't look like the original DS rofl.
Have you seen the Blue in person? It looks awesome.

jamesinclair said:
Um, 35 million N64s were sold.

The vast majority of gamers had one.
Compared to 102 million PSX's. 35/102 isn't a vast majority. Then the PS2 sold 150 million units, so more gamers who never owned an N64. Each generation the number of gamers has continued to grow, and each new gamer has never owned an N64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom