• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS North American Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

- J - D -

I might as well ask this here: Can anyone recommend a good car charger for the 3DS? I understand ones for DSi should work too.

ifsxw0.jpg

so close, so close , so close!!!!!!!!!!!!

fucking finally lol.

I might have to get dem cats + dogs

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yeah! Welcome back Cheesemeister. Great job!

Can not fucking wait. The moment is almost upon us, ladies and gentlemen.

US launch is 4 days 11 hours 23 minutes and 4 seconds away :) (EST that is)

EvilMario said:
Over, or under the system being hacked in 6 months and region locking being irrelevant?
Hard to say. Nintendo supposedly is going to a huge effort this time to keep that from happening, and it's been proven that if a company really works at it, it can pay off - just look how long it took for the PS3 to get hacked. But region-protection on a handheld device coupled with these promises of extra security could prod hackers to go the extra distance, not to mention the entire industry that grew around DS flash cards.

heringer

Nice OT!

Wouldn't be better to merge this topic with the European one though? Better to keep all of the discussions in one place. Though it would be a shame given all the effort.

Oh well, it doesn't matter. My body is ready!

Okay so my launch plan has been changing significantly in the past few days.

First it was:
Blue 3DS + Street Fighter 4 + Rayman

Now it is:
Blue 3DS + Street Fighter 4 + Ghost Recon

But I am considering switching it to:
Blue 3DS + Street Fighter 4 + Nintendogs + Cats + 1 other title

HELP!

Also thanks Cheesemeister for OP.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Were people this excited a week before the DS launched? I saw the old DS reveal thread from 2004 yesterday and people were mostly calling Nintendo crazy for this dual screen handheld console. Was Nintendo able to convinced most of GAF 1 week before the release of the DS?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Dreamwriter said:
Hard to say. Nintendo supposedly is going to a huge effort this time to keep that from happening, and it's been proven that if a company really works at it, it can pay off - just look how long it took for the PS3 to get hacked.

The reason it took so long for the PS3 to be hacked is because hackers didn't look hard into it because they were happy with what they could do with OtherOS. It's when Sony decided to cut OtherOS that hackers got pissed and found the most ridiculous of security flaw and hacked it.

GregLombardi said:
Okay so my launch plan has been changing significantly in the past few days.

First it was:
Blue 3DS + Street Fighter 4 + Rayman

Now it is:
Blue 3DS + Street Fighter 4 + Ghost Recon

But I am considering switching it to:
Blue 3DS + Street Fighter 4 + Nintendogs + Cats + 1 other title

HELP!

Also thanks Cheesemeister for OP.

maybe a DS game? i heard okamiden was pretty awesome.

wait, so if you put a flashcard in your 3DS , will it be bricked?

can someone answer that.

But i will assume that you need to turn off street pass/wifi if you want to use a flash card.

everyone get Elite Beat Agents if you are buying it at gamestop, it's only $3.99 used

Any more word on the dangers of using DS flash carts on 3DS for original DS game backups and homebrew?

Will it actually destroy the resellability of the console and/or be detectable by Nintendo?

friskykillface said:

can someone answer that.

But i will assume that you need to turn off street pass/wifi if you want to use a flash card.

everyone get Elite Beat Agents if you are buying it at gamestop, it's only $3.99 used

what is it with this game anyways? i keep hearing about it. :|

my ds game is/was supposed to be pokemon black and new super mario bros... now i dont know..

friskykillface said:

can someone answer that.
Not immediately :) But the system does log that you used a flash card, and while you can delete all your logs, flashcard data stays in it. And the system's SpotPass automatically connects to the internet whenever it's given a chance, so you could end up sending that data to Nintendo, and they could send commands back to your system.

However, it's possible Nintendo won't ever use that info, or the worst they will do is cut you off from ever playing any game online. Hard to say.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Dreamwriter said:
Not immediately :) But the system does log that you used a flash card, and while you can delete all your logs, flashcard data stays in it. And the system's SpotPass automatically connects to the internet whenever it's given a chance, so you could end up sending that data to Nintendo, and they could send commands back to your system.

However, it's possible Nintendo won't ever use that info, or the worst they will do is cut you off from ever playing any game online. Hard to say.

Wait, that rumour is true?

The rumour that Nintendo will brick your system for using a flashcart was totally false. One place freaking out, then internet picks up on it for some good old fashioned FUD.

The spotpass thing seems all speculative as well. Guess we wait and see for that.

Thoraxes

Dreamwriter said:

Nobody knows yet how that information is obtained. I have a feeling we'll find out soon enough anyways.

Can't wait for the launch though! I'm getting the Cosmo Black system and SSFIV:3D to start!!! After getting some hands-on time with the system at the Chicago pre-launch event, i'm pretty sure i'm also going to be picking up Nintendogs+Cats, Lego Star Wars, and possibly Rayman, all thanks to a B1G1 50% off deal at TRU this Sunday!

The 3D really did work like witchcraft. It was awesome!

Bring on the future!

careksims

Boo yah! Can't wait for Sunday! It's gonna' be fun to those who didn't pre-order at my GS trying to get one. Can't believe it's coming that soon. Aqua Blue Baby!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Bisnic said:
Were people this excited a week before the DS launched? I saw the old DS reveal thread from 2004 yesterday and people were mostly calling Nintendo crazy for this dual screen handheld console. Was Nintendo able to convinced most of GAF 1 week before the release of the DS?

Nintendo diehards and certain soothsayers most definitely were, but those were dark times. Most everyone else assumed incorrectly that the PSP was going to wipe the floor with the NDS.

Some of us knew differently, though :)

What you see here is more like the spirit the week before the PS2's launch.

As for my grab, I'm getting the Blue 3DS, a case (not sure which one yet) and SSF4 for launch.

Bisnic said:
Noooo way. Like it behaved on the market, it didn't really blow up for a year or two when enough acclaimed games began hitting regularly.
SUBZERO-08 said:
Still haven't completely decided what games I want.
Yeah. Without the usual single big game that overshadows the others, there are a lot of B games that look fairly appealing.

batmandarkknight said:

my ds game is/was supposed to be pokemon black and new super mario bros... now i dont know..

it's an amazing game, but its pretty hard.

but if you get it, you would need screen protectors, elite beat agents killed my ds :(

batmandarkknight said:

It's one of the most fun games I ever played. Buy it. It's very cheap even new: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HE9LL8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Question: Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a USB charger with the 3DS?

I live in 220v land and I'm importing a US 3DS, which means I have to use a stepdown converter for the charger and that is cumbersome. I thought I'd buy 230v DSi charger and use that instead, but then I realized there are USB chargers for DSi that are a simple cable for a penny. Since I always have a laptop or a computer on, it would be great if I could just use the USB cable to charge the 3DS, but I wonder if it takes longer to charge or damage or shorten the battery's life?

My combo is going to be:

Nintendo 3DS + Super Monkey Ball 3D

I can't believe no one wants to play Super Monkey Ball 3D. I just read some reviews and apparently the game is very good. It has one of the best 3D effects of the launch titles, and it runs at 60fps. Plus, it has a lot of content: almost 100 levels.

Mark by words... Super Monkey Ball 3D is going to be one of the hidden gems.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Does anyone know if putting a screen protector across the top screen will negatively affect the 3D? I'm worried about it getting scratched by a dumbass trying to 'touch the 3D' while I'm not looking.

Chocoboko

Does anyone know the chances of picking up streetpass tags while driving/using public transportation? Or does the connecting need to be much slower than that.

Fernando Rocker said:
My combo is going to be:

I can't believe no one wants to play Super Monkey Ball 3D. I just read some reviews and apparently the game is very good. It has one of the best 3D effects of the launch titles, and it runs at 60fps. Plus, it has a lot of content: almost 100 levels.

words are marked. I actually forgot about SMB.

GDGF said:
Does anyone know if putting a screen protector across the top screen will negatively affect the 3D? I'm worried about it getting scratched by a dumbass trying to 'touch the 3D' while I'm not looking.

The best solution would be to not borrow your 3DS to anyone!

I went and bought Rayman today from Gamestop, but I probably wont unwrap it until Friday when the reviews come out for the game (Just to make sure it's not some dookie ass port). I'll pick up my blue 3DS and Street Fighter on Sunday morning. DAMN I'm ready! Probably the most excited I've been for a system since the SNES. I feel like a kid again.

I don't go out to buy anything on Sunday's as a rule, but for this I'll make an exception... Black 3DS, Ridge Racer 3D, Street Fighter 4 3D and either Ghost Recon or Pilot Wings are preordered and I can't wait...

Fernando Rocker said:
My combo is going to be:

wait wait. 100 levels? any replay value in this game? i have this weird idea that all portable games has to have that "infinite" plays mode. thats why i have doodle jump, flight control, etc on my iphone. haha.

kunonabi

3DS in Placeholder Black

Launch games:

Steel Diver
Samurai Warriors Chronicles

If I can get in on the Toys R Us deal:

Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
Pilotwings Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom