• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS North American Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameE

Seda said:
My philosophy with new game systems, is that there must be 2 must-have games for me that I will buy with the system. None of the launch titles interest me as a must-have, so I'll wait until there are some that do.

I might do this since I'm low on cash. :| I might want Ridge Racer and Rayman tho. Idk yet.

Chairhome

I'm getting so hyped for this, even if battery life is a little bit of a bummer. I know I'm getting Pilotwings, but I'm wondering if I should just get it with SSF IV at TRU for 50% off, or if I should get something else. Why is everyone interested in Monkey Ball all of a sudden? And should I get Nintendogs? Hahaha.

Fernando Rocker said:
But... but... he didn't pick the Cosmo Black.
Blue > Black!

Chairhome said:
I'm getting so hyped for this, even if battery life is a little bit of a bummer. I know I'm getting Pilotwings, but I'm wondering if I should just get it with SSF IV at TRU for 50% off, or if I should get something else. Why is everyone interested in Monkey Ball all of a sudden? And should I get Nintendogs? Hahaha.

The ONLY thing that has me wanting Nintendogs is the AR stuff....and that changed my mind today assuming what I heard was accurate.

I will give someone my 2010 platinum Club Nintendo award (still in the plastic wrap/box) and my Game & Watch replica for a 3DS.

Can't afford one right now. :(

-Pyromaniac- said:
I always wondered, how big is the box? It seems kind of big in pictures but is it something that can fit in a normal sized plastic bag (just for reference)?
For reference:

ZA5wa.jpg

I'm pretty sure the JP boxes are the same as the US ones, unlike the DSLs back in the day.

Chairhome said:
And should I get Nintendogs? Hahaha.

It will make you believe in 3D.

EvilMario said:
What city? There's only one mom n' pop shop in Toronto that breaks release dates early. Other than that, Shoppers is the only other shop that really doesn't know about release dates.

Don't want to cause a riot but most of the places in the East Coast have them in their back room. If not, tomorrow 100%. Oh and Nintendo's doing it again: No more systems shipped until mid to late April. Tight allocations all around. 8 to 12 systems shipped at a time.

Volcynika

I'm getting Pilotwings/Rayman/Ghost Recon/Street Fighter for my set of first games, with Devil Survivor Overclocked later this summer.

Deadly Monk said:
Don't want to cause a riot but most of the places in the East Coast have them in their back room. If not, tomorrow 100%. Oh and Nintendo's doing it again: No more systems shipped until mid to late April. Tight allocations all around. 8 to 12 systems shipped at a time.
Keep in mind, mid-April is two weeks after launch :)

-Pyromaniac- said:
Wow so it's not that big at all, the game box looks almost half the size, lol.
Yup. I think the DSi's box was slightly bigger.

And I wonder if we'll see more of these this weekend...

rggeO.jpg

=P

just to let people know. my local gamestop said today was the last day they were taking pre-orders for the blue model. dunno if that's just them or nation wide. black presumably could end soon too.

in other lol news, i am now the proud owner of Ridge Racer 3DS. i will use it as a paper weight for the next four and a half days after trying to put it in a regular DS.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Aqua Blue does seem to be a lot more popular than Cosmo Black.

And I agree, I'm sick of every electronic I have to be black.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Those japanese 3DS boxes look soo nice. Hopefully we get the same here in North America.

Pyrokai

BY2K said:
Aqua Blue does seem to be a lot more popular than Cosmo Black.

And I agree, I'm sick of every electronic I have to be black.

See, I'm the opposite. For whatever reason, I own very few electronics that are black. I think the only black console/handheld I currently own is my N64. Because of this, I'm excited to get black! My DSi is blue already :p

So jealous of everyone who has managed to get it. I wish I knew of local mom and pop stores that sell video games :(

Edit: I lied...my PS3 and PS2 are also black :p . Bah! I still don't have much black stuff

Pyrokai said:
See, I'm the opposite. For whatever reason, I own very few electronics that are black. I think the only black console/handheld I currently own is my N64. Because of this, I'm excited to get black! My DSi is blue already :p

So jealous of everyone who has managed to get it. I wish I knew of local mom and pop stores that sell video games :(
i'm kind of glad that i don't. i've already paid for Crysis 2. it should tide me over pretty nicely.

and i can play it in 3D on my tv, so i'm already part of the 3D future, just not the glasses free 3D future.

What sucks is those mom and pop stores are generally the ones that can least afford the thousands of dollars per system that Nintendo fines stores that break the street date.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
i'm sitting here very tempted to pre order a 3ds where is best? amazon?

but then I wonder.. the games are region locked aren't they? I wouldnt be able to play Australian games on it hmm

Dreamwriter said:
What sucks is those mom and pop stores are generally the ones that can least afford the thousands of dollars per system that Nintendo fines stores that break the street date.

Well then maybe they should stop breaking street date.

olimpia84

I want to get it so bad but I have a trip to Spain in April so my wallet is going to take a hit....I might wait a bit which shouldn't be a problem since I have a huge backlog on my Wii/PS3 collection

I checked the OP, and skimmed through most of the four pages, so apologies if this has already been asked, but can you use the music player to play personal music while gaming, a la the 360 (which removes the original game soundtrack and keeps sfx in tact)?

Can you use the music player while doing anything else?

King Of Fuh said:
I checked the OP, and skimmed through most of the four pages, so apologies if this has already been asked, but can you use the music player to play personal music while gaming, a la the 360 (which removes the original game soundtrack and keeps sfx in tact)?

No.

Cheesemeister said:
While tracks continue playing with the lid closed when headphones are inserted, it's not possible to keep them playing going into another program.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
King Of Fuh said:

It's up to specific games to utilize.

King Of Fuh said:

It's not like the 360 where the music app is separate from the games, a game must support custom soundtracks, and when it does you'll use that game's interface for them. Which in my opinion is a lot better, it means a game can choose the best time to start/stop songs, and as a game developer if my game is an RPG or something, I want my mood-setting music to play, not whatever random song a gamer happens to be listening to. But I'm probably alone in that opinion :)

Just put in the preorder on amazon, cosmo black 3DS, SSFIV, chrono trigger, pokemon white, pull and go case, hori screen protector and the car charger.

bryehn

Bought Ghost Recon today.

Has anyone heard/seen anything of Asphalt at all? I remember playing the first when I got my original DS phat and enjoyed it.

bryehn said:
Bought Ghost Recon today.

Has anyone heard/seen anything of Asphalt at all? I remember playing the first when I got my original DS phat and enjoyed it.
nice graphics, bad framerate, from gameloft.

get Ridge Racer 3DS

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Dreamwriter said:
1) Nintendo doesn't fine stores.
2) Violating Nintendo's street date policy greatly affects in-store promotions and future allocations. It has nothing to do with fines.
3) Typically Nintendo looks the other way for the mom and pop stores. No point in bringing down the hammer on Pa's Video Games when they'll sell 20 3DS units and maybe 100 3DS games over the next week, when Best Buy and gamestop won't care at all because each of those stores will go through 250 units and 500+ games.

The ma and pop stores are already be strangled in distribution and pricing compared to best buy and gamestop. The street dates are real, but it's in no ones best interest to enforce them on these stores. and no, they wouldn't be "fined." they would simply have allocation reduced and the ability for official in-store promotions reduced or eliminated.

daffy

Banned
metsallica said:
Preordered my black 3DS (regretting the color choice a bit, but have never owned a black Nintendo system save for the N64 so figured it was time), SSFIV3D, Pilotwings, and Steel Diver. Just got my 3DS Pull and Go Folio too, which I'll take pictures of if asked.
DO IT NOW. NO NOW. DON'T REPLY JUST TAKE THE PICS.

No but pretty please can you take some pictures of the folio? Can you open it up and show the detachable 3DS case as well? Just take as many as you so desire ;)

Thank you so very much if you can.... :)?

Effect

Do both people need to add Friend Codes, or is it a request based system?

If your friend adds you first, you will not see any sort of request on the system. When registering in exchange, though, your friend's profile data comes up right away.

This is what I don't really understand. The information is being pulled from somewhere. Either the friend's 3DS or from some central database (has to be you can do it over the internet). Why not simply have it as a request system? Just let the other person agree or disagree and the information is only added to the requesting 3DS if the other agrees.

I really hope they are able to change this.

borghe said:
1) Nintendo doesn't fine stores.
2) Violating Nintendo's street date policy greatly affects in-store promotions and future allocations. It has nothing to do with fines.
3) Typically Nintendo looks the other way for the mom and pop stores. No point in bringing down the hammer on Pa's Video Games when they'll sell 20 3DS units and maybe 100 3DS games over the next week, when Best Buy and gamestop won't care at all because each of those stores will go through 250 units and 500+ games.

The ma and pop stores are already be strangled in distribution and pricing compared to best buy and gamestop. The street dates are real, but it's in no ones best interest to enforce them on these stores. and no, they wouldn't be "fined." they would simply have allocation reduced and the ability for official in-store promotions reduced or eliminated.
Do you work for Nintendo's legal department? There have been news stories in the past of Nintendo fining Walmart and Target for breaking street dates, and BestBuy employees told that Nintendo would fine their store $10,000 per system if they broke the street date for a new game system.

Effect said:
This is what I don't really understand. The information is being pulled from somewhere. Either the friend's 3DS or from some central database (has to be you can do it over the internet). Why not simply have it as a request system? Just let the other person agree or disagree and the information is only added to the requesting 3DS if the other agrees.

That'll never happen as long as Nintendo fears the day a pedophile is reported to have contacted a victim via a Nintendo-manufactured system.

Effect said:

it's a philosophical decision, not a technical one. they don't want people to 'friend' anyone that don't already know in real life to cover their asses from the types of stories like 'Nintendo DS Child Predators' that dog them even when they're doing everything they possibly could to avoid them.

at least when those stories crop up now, they can point to all the restrictions they have in place and say 'nu-uh'. i'd rather it wasn't the case, but the media go after Nintendo on this stuff much harder than MS and Sony because the perception is still that Nintendo = for kids.

out dated and annoying yes, but that's why things are the way they are.

poweld

Dreamwriter said:
Do you work for Nintendo's legal department? There have been news stories in the past of Nintendo fining Walmart and Target for breaking street dates, and BestBuy employees told that Nintendo would fine their store $10,000 per system if they broke the street date for a new game system.
Uh... Nintendo has no right to fine anybody. What they can do is sue for damages.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Just watched the Ghost Recon Shadow Wars video and that game looks outstanding! Not graphically, maybe, but the gameplay looks solid as hell and I dig the music. If I can get in on that TRU deal I will make this my second game.

Tiktaalik

I was totally gonna do the lineup for midnight launch thing but I don't have a job right now so it's probably a bad idea. :'(

I guess I got a week to turn fortune to my favour.

Chorazin

poweld said:
Uh... Nintendo has no right to fine anybody. What they can do is sue for damages.

They sure can sue, if one of the agreements the retailer signed was that they wouldn't sell it before the street date.

GDGF said:
Just watched the Ghost Recon Shadow Wars video and that game looks outstanding! Not graphically, maybe, but the gameplay looks solid as hell and I dig the music. If I can get in on that TRU deal I will make this my second game.
Yeah I switched to Ghost Recon for the same reason, but now Amir0x has me questioning if I should get Rayman since I never played the original. GRRRR.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The official Mexican price is a fucking joke (not much lower than an iPad 2). And importers are already jacking up prices. Do you guys believe I will be able to pick up one form a store by mid May in San Francisco? (Google event).

DownWithTheShip said:
Is anything known about The Sims 3?

It seems to have the potential to be good, but I haven't seen or heard anything about it.
It's a port of the console versions of Sims 3, and has some really horrid framerate issues even in Nintendo's recent promo video of all the launch titles.

Truth101

Banned
DownWithTheShip said:
Is anything known about The Sims 3?

It seems to have the potential to be good, but I haven't seen or heard anything about it.

There is no chance that the Sims 3 for the 3DS is any good, everything they have showed of it is absolutely horrid.

Effect

plagiarize said:
it's a philosophical decision, not a technical one. they don't want people to 'friend' anyone that don't already know in real life to cover their asses from the types of stories like 'Nintendo DS Child Predators' that dog them even when they're doing everything they possibly could to avoid them.

at least when those stories crop up now, they can point to all the restrictions they have in place and say 'nu-uh'. i'd rather it wasn't the case, but the media go after Nintendo on this stuff much harder than MS and Sony because the perception is still that Nintendo = for kids.

out dated and annoying yes, but that's why things are the way they are.

True there is this to consider. Annoying for sure though.

Dreamwriter said:
It's a port of the console versions of Sims 3, and has some really horrid framerate issues even in Nintendo's recent promo video of all the launch titles.

The frame rate issues are easy to spot to. I was sort of surprised by that. I figured they'd provide footage that showed it in better light but it's obvious there are problems with it. Same with Asphalt GT. You can see the slow down in the video.

Tiktaalik said:
I was totally gonna do the lineup for midnight launch thing but I don't have a job right now so it's probably a bad idea. :'(

I guess I got a week to turn fortune to my favour.
$250 isn't many tricks. you could make that in one night, easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom