• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Runs at 960x1080 vertically interlaced

HTupolev

Interestingly, this does pixel count as 1920x1080--but the interlacing artifacts are there too (though very mild). It might be a bullshot, but another possibility is that the temporal effect achieves better results with less camera motion. Maybe in certain circumstances the resolution truly is almost indistinguishable from native...only in MP, you're basically never going to be sitting still. Just a guess.
Yep.

The quality depends on reprojection. Some PS360 games did temporal antialiasing with no motion reprojection at all, which meant that they suffered from ghosting if they didn't turn off blending for areas of the screen that were in motion. You can see this in Halo: Reach, where AA turns off during motion, and ghosting happens in some cases where (usually animated?) dynamic objects don't contribute correctly to the motion buffer.

Havel

Some people seem to be a little confused at the resolution thinking that it upscales from 960x1080 to 1920x1080 like you would upscale a sub 1080p game to 1080p, it doesn't. I made some images to help.

Okay, so let's say the red lines are what is being updated while the black lines are empty space.
Pxyb06u.png

Now this is what it looks like on frame 1
On frame 2 this is what it looks like
BotLCAH.png

And when frame 2 comes it it blurs the information from frame 1 to fill in the black spaces. This is why it looks fine when standing still but looks blurry and odd in motion. If we could take a single frame of KZSF's multiplayer with this effect turned off it would look something like this.
Zoom in to see the full effect.

The grey lines are dead space where nothing is being rendered on this frame.

So techinically the game is rendering at 1920x1080, just not on each frame.

So the the MP is essentially 1080i?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Some people seem to be a little confused at the resolution thinking that it upscales from 960x1080 to 1920x1080 like you would upscale a sub 1080p game to 1080p, it doesn't. I made some images to help.
Okay, so let's say the red lines are what is being updated while the black lines are empty space.
And when frame 2 comes it it blurs the information from frame 1 to fill in the black spaces. This is why it looks fine when standing still but looks blurry and odd in motion. If we could take a single frame of KZSF's multiplayer with this effect turned off it would look something like this.
Thank you for explaining it. I kind of knew what it was doing but I was just laughing to myself at my inability to explain it. KZ:SF is basically interlacing. But it's still 1080p. They didn't lie because this is one of the best technicalities I've ever seen in my life.
EDIT : I forgot to call this 1080i. My bad.
Of course. People are so picky about everything now that this type of thing is turned into a huge fucking deal and everyone loses their minds over it. Put Killzone and this type of thing together and... anarchy.
Because everyone needs something to bitch about. You mean it isn't 1920x1080?! Just fire everyone and close the studio! I'm so angry at Guerrilla! Mrgrgr, those no talent hacks! Worst game ever, it bombed and they should never make a game again! I'm selling this crappy, technical shitshow of a game! My ignore list grows pretty quickly in threads like this.
That type of shit is ridiculous. But I digress. This is going to happen throughout this generation. It still looks fucking fantastic and better than almost everything else out there.
To be fair to the thread, the worst thing anyone has said is that they won't ever buy another one of their games. Your post on hyperbole is... well, hyperbole.
Just watched it, and I'm pretty damn sure the same problems exist here. It looks identical to those direct feed shots from a few pages back.
That means that Guerrilla doesn't think they lied. And I don't think they did either. If they wanted to lie, they wouldn't have put this direct feed out there.

Thank you for explaining it. I kind of knew what it was doing but I was just laughing to myself at my inability to explain it. KZ:SF is basically interlacing. But it's still 1080p. They didn't lie because this is one of the best technicalities I've ever seen in my life.

Pretty much. They didn't lie, but they absolutely didn't tell the truth, or rather the whole truth.

VanWinkle

I am not getting the comparisons to a launch title really.

There shouldn't be comparisons. Some are mad that people are making fun of Titanfall having a low resolution with such bland last-gen-like graphics, so they're using this as an excuse to vent or call out non-existent "hypocrisy".

sp3000

The most idiotic post I've seen yet. 1080P is NOT 1080i. 1080i is an actual resolution and its exactly what is being used here.

You don't even know what the p stands for in 1080p do you

This is more hilarious than it has any right being. Isn't that the closest term to explain what's happening in the game?

Should the title be this?
"Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Runs at 1080i"

It isn't 1080i, because a single frame of 1080i is 1920x540. They basically took the principle of 1080i and flipped it on its side, literally.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The most idiotic post I've seen yet. 1080P is NOT 1080i. 1080i is an actual resolution and its exactly what is being used here.
You don't even know what the p stands for in 1080p do you
I expect an apology because I corrected my post and explained my mistake =P
It isn't 1080i, because a single frame of 1080i is 1920x540. They basically took the principle of 1080i and flipped it on its side, literally.
I forgot to put i instead of p. I did it in my later post. Let me edit that real fast. And yes, I do know what interlacing is. Just cool your jets sp3000 cph.

GHG

Gold Member

Pxyb06u.png

BotLCAH.png

Good man.

So for all intents and purposes, the output from the ps4 to your tv/monitor is 1080p.

So basically, nobody lied, they just didn't explain the methodologies at work.

Makes this thread all the more hilarious.

Havel

Pxyb06u.png

BotLCAH.png

I think this should be added to the OP for additional clarification.

Now add interlacing and it will be perfect.

Bsigg12

Good man.

So for all intents and purposes, the output from the ps4 to your tv/monitor is 1080p.

This is some Microsoft PR thinking right here.

hawk2025

So it outputs 1080p "natively" -- which means it is, technically, native 1080p.

But it RENDERS half of that at any given frame, while using an algorithm to fill in the rest.

Let's call a spade a spade: That's known as upscaling, even if the algorithm and process is completely different, no?

<-- Still feels lied to.

xkramz

This thread is moving too fast for me.. so if I'm playing KZ MP..on a 1080P TV..what is the game outputting? I see people saying 1080i and some say titanfall has better resolution at 792p..so it's output is sub 792p?

I suck at technical shit lol

Good man.

It isn't 1080p, it isn't 960x1080p and it isn't 1080i. it is some weird amalgamation of 1080p and 1080i.

Somewhat, killzone runs 1080i

It seem you can't said that either because

But it RENDERS half of that at any given frame, while using an algorithm to fill in the rest.

Let's call a spade a spade: That's known as upscaling, even if the algorithm and process is completely different, no?

<-- Still feels lied to.

Don't think you can call this upscaling either .

HTupolev

"Upscaling" really isn't a very accurate description. The results are qualitatively very different.

Good man.

They were misleading rather than outright lying but, given the situation, I think trying to explain it during PS4/launch hype would have been a bit of a nightmare. Even so, they still had time to clear up the matter once normal marketing wound down and did not. So, they still get a disappointed head shake and a "don't do it again".

Top Bottom