• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think SLAM was ever an XBLA game - I downloaded a trial of it from Community Games some time ago.

That Jump game is awesome though. :)

Kafel

Banned
I've tried SLAM. It's a nice polished game, if you like the genre I don't see a reason why you shouldn't buy it.

Brakara

Dr Zhivago said:
Don't think SLAM was ever an XBLA game - I downloaded a trial of it from Community Games some time ago.

Correct. It used to be 800 points, now 400. So this "Indie Edition" is probably the lite version. But 80 points sounds a lot more reasonable for this type of game.

Does anyone know what happened to Ninja Bros? I got the trial, enjoyed it, but when I came to buying it it had been removed. Is it coming back?

Rlan

toythatkills said:
Does anyone know what happened to Ninja Bros? I got the trial, enjoyed it, but when I came to buying it it had been removed. Is it coming back?

I bought it when it come out, didn't realise it wasn't up again.

It's a really cool puzzle game. Anyone know who it was taken down?

taku

Pharoah said:
Thanks a lot, Gowan007 :)
(and everyone else...)

We are starting to build some hype about this game, the concept of putting a Series on Indie Games, and what it means for us. And we have a trailer to show, now!

TRAILER : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxlvAuJPtHI&fmt=18
You may grab a better quality file on our site (please rehost it after doing so) here : www.arkedo.com/media/JUMP_Trailer.wmv

Arkedo Series - 02 SWAP! should be sent for peer review soon. Goal is having it live before end of October.
Expect something completely different...
Just (impulse) bought this and played all the way to the big bomb level (collecting all of the coins/diamonds on every level!). I died at the big bomb level (don't know why but I basically skipped most hearts). Game Over! Haha, it seems that once you die, even though you collected all the coins and such on previous levels you don't unlock any challenge levels at all? Oh well, I guess I have to play it all over again, but that's quite okay because this little gem is incredibly fun.

I wish you'd make an even bigger, more epic 2D platformer tale just like this in the near future! Love the retro feel of it, the basic yet intuitive and pleasant platforming, and the controls are spot on, perfect! Thanks man.

Edit: Highly Recommended and dirt cheap, there is no reason to not buy this game!

I haven't played this game, so I don't know if it's any good or not. I read the description and wanted to try it because of how polite the description is. I think it's the first time I've ever read a description for a game where the developer introduced himself to me.

Dark

screen2_Web.jpg

Description: My name is Andrew Russell; I am an independent game developer from Australia. “Dark” was my entry in the 2009 Dream Build Play competition. It is a very dark, atmospheric puzzle-platformer. The full version of the game features five levels and takes 20 to 40 minutes to complete.

PhlivoSong said:
I haven't played this game, so I don't know if it's any good or not. I read the description and wanted to try it because of how polite the description is. I think it's the first time I've ever read a description for a game where the developer introduced himself to me.

Dark

screen2_Web.jpg

Description: My name is Andrew Russell; I am an independent game developer from Australia. “Dark” was my entry in the 2009 Dream Build Play competition. It is a very dark, atmospheric puzzle-platformer. The full version of the game features five levels and takes 20 to 40 minutes to complete.

Bought this about an hour ago. Such an awesome experience.

Really wish I could have payed more than $1 for it.

gunstarhero

Spent most of the day looking at some Xbox Indie games.

Picked up:

Kaiten Patissier and Green Island: both games made by the same dev, and it shows :) Both have a very Sega Master System game look and feel to it... I'm not sure why, but they both remind me of those game that came on the SMS card format. Anyway, both are addictive as hell, and a steal at $1.00 a pop. The fact that almost everything (even the description) are in Japanese (?) add to the charm. Highly recommended.

Jump!: It's been said enough on this board - BUY THIS GAME NOW :)

Also tried out:

Dark- Cool looking game with a nice vibe to it - Interesting, but didn't push me over the edge to buy it though.

Whip - Played the demo based on IGN's recommend... er, not sure what they liked about this game. Everything from the presentation to the gameplay was very sub-par for me.

On a side note - is anyone needs help developing some cover art for their games, PM me - would be happy to help :)

nextgeneration said:
I am soooo looking forward to your game! I'm buying it the moment it hits! :D It will hit before end of year, right?

It will be out before year end, yes, that I know for sure. The end of summer date has come and passed, but the game is nearly into playtest / peer review. Very soon you will have it!

AzBat

Anybody know if Robir (Ribaux brothers) have anything new coming down the pipeline? I sure would like to see a Miner Dig Deep sequel, but will check out anything else they have planned.

Tommy McClain

Noogy

Matthew Doucette said:
It will be out before year end, yes, that I know for sure. The end of summer date has come and passed, but the game is nearly into playtest / peer review. Very soon you will have it!
I can't wait as well Matthew :) I've been following Duality even before I ever started XNA, and am really looking forward to it. And it'd be nice to play a vertical shooter that uses my entire screen.

There isn't enough shmup love nowadays. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what I want to do for my next title.

AzBat

Matthew Doucette said:

Considering the very anal peer review process, I wouldn't be too sure. You've ruffled a few feathers with them. So I'm sure they are going to be extra diligent when it comes to reviewing your game. Don't be surprised if you end up failing your first time or two. ;)

Slingstar's a 2D twin-stick shooter or sorts, except you attack by affecting the orbit of two or more satellites swinging around your ship. At first I thought it looked cheap, but it had a certain charm to it, and it earned its 80 points when I get my next point card for causing me to bust out laughing around Wave 7 or 8.
Little "Buy Now!" bubble pop-ups start floating in to confuse things, some of them shilling the full version, others going on about Herbal Diets and Nigerian Princes.
:lol

WhipCrack is very polished, other than a typo I noticed, it could've passed as a proper XBLA game easily. I like a lot about it, except I haven't really gotten a good grip on the whipping itself yet, it feels like it takes too long between attacks. I don't know about 240 points, but I can see why they're charging that much.

t3nmilez

Kaiten Patissier URA is now out! Seems like an expansion of the original game, exact same presentation, graphics, and music, but the levels are more difficult. 80 points, seems worth getting if you were a fan of the original.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone beat the super secret uber hard robot level in Arkedo Jump? I've come close--going for those last three coins--about 10 times and tried maybe 60 or 70 times overall.

Bought Arkedo Jump! on the thread's recommendation. I was afraid it was going to be another Being or Biscuit Romp (which are just fine for a buck, but not much to them) but it's quite a bit more than that. The mechanics are simple but solid, the music hits a nice retro pitch without being annoying, and just a few small visual touches here and there make it absolutely the best modern use of chunky retro graphics since Pac-Man CE. The references to Pitfall and Mario are nice but not overdone.

There are only 31 levels but the most retro part of it all - no continues - means it will take you a while to get to the end. Not a long while, but you won't breeze through, either. You'll actually have to memorize some shit. Remember that? Haven't dug into the challenge levels yet, either.

As someone else said, this is exactly what I was hoping for from the Indie Games section. Spending $3 for this was a no-brainer for me. Glad to know it's part of a series. :D

LocoMrPollock said:
Anyone know if Proximity HD is ever gonna release?

I played the demo way back when, before community games ever even launched and really loved it.

i actually tracked down the guy who created the game about a year ago and asked him about that. At that time, he had told me he was working on it and hoped to have it out by xmas (this was 2008). obviously, that hasn't happened. i haven't bothered to email him about it again.

if you want to inquire, google the game and you can find a link to his personal site which contains an email address. that's how i had gotten in contact with him.

MikeHaggar said:
i actually tracked down the guy who created the game about a year ago and asked him about that. At that time, he had told me he was working on it and hoped to have it out by xmas (this was 2008). obviously, that hasn't happened. i haven't bothered to email him about it again.

if you want to inquire, google the game and you can find a link to his personal site which contains an email address. that's how i had gotten in contact with him.

Found his twitter.

He's testing a colorblind picture for Proximity, so maybe he's planning on getting it out soon.

Anso

Just recently bought Slingstar, enjoying it lots. Very simple concept but with a good ammount of variation and quite challenging. Thumbs up!

Nasreddin

Anso said:
Just recently bought Slingstar, enjoying it lots. Very simple concept but with a good ammount of variation and quite challenging. Thumbs up!

Also bought Slingstar. The variation indeed is great, for every enemy you have to develop new strategies. Also like the visual aesthetics, the octopus is awesome. For 80 points this is a steal!

Yeah, Echoes+ is ever so slightly better than the original PC game. Very good release. Crosstown is also excellent. If it's a remake of something on a retro 8-bit computer, I haven't played it or remember it. Great game regardless.

Indie Games channel is just getting better and better.

If it's clones you want...

This'll be overlooked for having stupid box-art, but Banana Split is worth playing if you enjoyed Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp, since it seems to be the same game with new levels and more screen-space. I don't know if it's by the same guys (I don't think it is) but yeah, it plays near identically, even down to the "hold B to restart level" thing and the life counter disappearing if you go near that part of the screen.

Yeah, I don't mind clones...especially if there are neat and significant new folds or takes on the game type being remade. But the range of what gets cloned most of the time is pretty narrow...reflecting a limited gaming history on the part or creator and/or the need to simply work on something current and popular as well as easily understood (to make the job of making it easier).

I'm pretty much done with arena-style twin-stick shooters. If people want to make more twin-stick controlled clones, how about going back to multiplayer co-op focused ones in the vein of Ikari Warriors/Guerrilla Warf/Mercs/Shock Troopers, Forgotten Worlds/Trouble Shooter, Jackal, Avengers, or Alien Syndrome? Even a Gauntlet or Quartet clone using twin-stick control would be interesting. Something with some semblance of level design and a sense of progression that goes beyond more and more stuff to shoot and dodge in a box. Of course, for all of my typing here, I could do well to probably address this issue myself if only I didn't waste time reading this forum...hmmm...

Noogy

MightyHedgehog said:
the vein of Ikari Warriors/Guerrilla Warf/Mercs/Shock Troopers, Forgotten Worlds/Trouble Shooter, Jackal, Avengers, or Alien Syndrome?

I'd very much like to see that myself too. It's a bit surprising how we don't see many games like that anymore. I kind of enjoyed that recent downloadable Zombie Apocalypse game, but if it had actual scrolling levels, bosses, and anything but zombies, we might have something cool. I'd like an updated Guerilla War/Mercs game. I don't think it'd be very hard to do, as the mechanics for a twin-stick shooter are one of the easiest to implement.

Noogy said:
I'd very much like to see that myself too. It's a bit surprising how we don't see many games like that anymore. I kind of enjoyed that recent downloadable Zombie Apocalypse game, but if it had actual scrolling levels, bosses, and anything but zombies, we might have something cool. I'd like an updated Guerilla War/Mercs game. I don't think it'd be very hard to do, as the mechanics for a twin-stick shooter are one of the easiest to implement.

The problem is that designing scrolling levels takes a lot more work, time, and space than static arenas, especially if you want to include enough to where the game doesn't seem really short. Some of these arena shooters also forgo bosses, which is something else a linear level design usually requires.

toneroni

Noogy said:
Mercs was awesome! definitely scrolling levels...too many arena ones.
I dont think any of these i've seen lately are better than Smash tv either!

There are enough co-op beat em ups either...
Maybe I should commission one... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom