• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

Ken

Not an XI event without crabs.

12241080_10153015422596841_3018478733870717520_o.jpg

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Appears to be live for me now.
There was some emergency maintenance around the time it was supposed to go live, so maybe they were busy or something, who knows.
Still not up on yhe EU store. Well, not like I'm in a hurry.

It's cool that SE allows you to download the game client and some patch data (6GB) even if your account isn't active.

Sioen

I'm quite interested in this, I have never played this game but heard of it quite often. I do play final fantasy 14 but I heard that this doesn't have much to do with eachother.
Is this game easy to get in because I am no gaming expert, but I really want to get into this.

KeRaSh

I'm quite interested in this, I have never played this game but heard of it quite often. I do play final fantasy 14 but I heard that this doesn't have much to do with eachother.
Is this game easy to get in because I am no gaming expert, but I really want to get into this.

FFXI is way less beginner friendly than XIV is and there's not a lot of hand holding going on. It got easier over time but I'd say it still takes quite some effort to figure everything out. Be prepared to look quests and missions up online a lot. But I can guarantee you that it is 100% worth the effort.

Parshias7

Finished RoV last night, what an ending. Too bad I wasn't able to get a look at all the flashback images on the walls of the final fight arena.

One of the images is someone training Goblins to Selbina.

Not an XI event without crabs.
Fucking Kuftal (and Boyahda). I hated Kuftal PTs so much. At least Valkurm was entertaining.

When you got into a PT without a BRD, RDM, or someone with acid bolts.... WHY?!

Also is it bad that the only reason I want to play FFXIV 3.1 is for the FFXI event.

KeRaSh

Finished RoV last night, what an ending. Too bad I wasn't able to get a look at all the flashback images on the walls of the final fight arena.

One of the images is someone training Goblins to Selbina.

Oh the memories! Can someone post a video of it? I won't be able to witness is in person.

Thrilltacular

Neo Member
Hey, I have been away for about 2 years (since the second Aldouin update). Was thinking of coming back to finish up the WotG, Aldouin and new Rhapsidies quests and mop up the remainder of my achievements. Is that content soloable now? I have most jobs 99 and I am considering doing a world transfer to finish up my time in FFXI with GAF. Thanks.

ZetaEpyon

Hey, I have been away for about 2 years (since the second Aldouin update). Was thinking of coming back to finish up the WotG, Aldouin and new Rhapsidies quests and mop up the remainder of my achievements. Is that content soloable now? I have most jobs 99 and I am considering doing a world transfer to finish up my time in FFXI with GAF. Thanks.

WotG is definitely soloable, and most of Adoulin is as well - you'll likely still need a little help for the last few battles, though. Rhapsodies is pretty much soloable if you're at 99 with reasonable gear and trusts.

Let us know if you decide to transfer to Sylph!

thefil

KiZC0Op.png

Excited to get back in with my girlfriend. She's never played, and I haven't played since 2008. We'll roll on Sylph so hopefully there will be some GAF LS people around to give us tips. :)

Probably won't start until we've cooled down with the new XIV content, though.

KiZC0Op.png

Excited to get back in with my girlfriend. She's never played, and I haven't played since 2008. We'll roll on Sylph so hopefully there will be some GAF LS people around to give us tips. :)

Probably won't start until we've cooled down with the new XIV content, though.

LS has been pretty active for the past few years. People come and go but there's a solid core of folks who are happy to help and be inclusive of new players. Look forward to seeing you on.

Just want to note that any ambitious folk who want to try and run events on off days are more than welcome and encouraged. Several of us have other linkshells in which we participate in endgame but as long as there are no scheduling conflicts you're likely to get some bites.

Jayhawk

I haven't played since a few months into Adoulin, and I don't have time to play this last storyline. I hope I can find decent videos out there with the recent story stuff.

How feasible is to finish the story during Return to Vana'diel campaign week? I've finished everything up to Seekers, which I barely touched.

How feasible is to finish the story during Return to Vana'diel campaign week? I've finished everything up to Seekers, which I barely touched.

Impossible if you haven't spent the requisite imprimaturs to advance past certain roadblocks. If you're chapter 2+ it will be a hard, but doable slog as long as you can get timely help for the more challenging mission fights.

Impossible if you haven't spent the requisite imprimaturs to advance past certain roadblocks. If you're chapter 2+ it will be a hard, but doable slog as long as you can get timely help for the more challenging mission fights.

I don't know what imprimaturs are, so I'm guessing I haven't. I'll see how far I can get in that week and then probably reactivate for a month or so to finish the story.

Zomba13

If the were Snippers instead of Robber Crabs the old Valkurm Dunes rite of passage reference would be complete, but their heart was in the right place.

That was my only issue with it. Also the fact that no place in FFXIV has dunes like Valkurm. Instead you get shitty La Noscea with it's constant rain.

When it eventually comes, I suspect it might resemble Shantotto doing the biggest "Bye B*tch*s!" ever:

face.png

:O Super Saiyan Shantotto?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Everything in Reisenjima has insane evasion. I soloed RoV part 2, but I have trouble killing even a normal enemy here. Looks like it's gonna take longer than I thought to beat this. ilvl 119 and maxed weapon skill should be enough to hit any story enemies. This is pretty stupid.

Zomba13

I wish I could get back into XI just to go through the main story stuff. I only fully did base game and Zilart and got near the end of CoP (I think) and a little into WotG.

The main things stopping me coming back, even with the free days for returning players is installing it (would probably be better grabbing the complete version off Steam or something) and then getting back into the controls. I think I uploaded my macros and all that so should be able to get them back.

Then it's the whole thing with being on a server that I don't think anyone I played with plays on anymore and doing all the stuff that makes things easier.

Is there an easy way to get the most up to date client without buying it? Is there like a free trial I can download but then just log in with my old account?

B.K.

The final boss is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I soloed all of Rhapsodies, but I don't think I can solo that fight. I'll have to try to find a party to do it tomorrow.

Loona

The RoV mission about killing panopts filled my inventory without me realizing it, so after I advanced enough to get a new Trust cipher I missed out, and I can't seem to get it or advance to the next mission - tried to call a GM about it, but took so long to not appear I eventually had to go and sleep.

Any ideas on what I can do about it?

That was my only issue with it. Also the fact that no place in FFXIV has dunes like Valkurm. Instead you get shitty La Noscea with it's constant rain.

Well, it does rain in La Theine sometimes, and that's right next to Valkurm.

I've found this video of FXIV's Iroha's event, although I'm not done watching it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjd8R74MDsQ
She's looking for Mhaura or Selbina before the crabs bit... aww...

:O Super Saiyan Shantotto?

The new login campaign trust, looks like the illustration for A Shantotto Ascension - puzzles me to no end, just about every trust model has had some use elsewhere in the game, even if some never had combat data before...

Reishiki

Banned
Everything in Reisenjima has insane evasion. I soloed RoV part 2, but I have trouble killing even a normal enemy here. Looks like it's gonna take longer than I thought to beat this. ilvl 119 and maxed weapon skill should be enough to hit any story enemies. This is pretty stupid.

Yeah, this has been my experience as well. Those Naraka mobs are nasty.

Baleoce

My friend is saying that FFXI is £14.99 on Steam, but for me it's saying £24.99. Any reason why this might be the case?

edit - nvm, worked it out. there's no steam sale. they must have just already owned a previous version of XI on steam so they have a permanent seekers edition discount

this. I miss 1.0 a lot. the user interface was slooow but looked nice, the textures *-* if they still had a server running the game I would rather play it than ARR >.<"

and now everyone will jump on me <<
Thats where I am. I loved 1.18-1.23 it still had inherent client > server issues, but the basis of the game was so much fun. gear, combat, animations, story were all so good. I despise ARR, its completely generic and the story is awful

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Regarding the EU sale it's finally live.
The funny thing is that I sent an email to support yesterday and here's what they've replied soon after activating the sale:
Please accept our sincerest apologies for this inconvenience. We have already amended the store prices and they should be correct now.

We thank you for informing us about this issue.
Really? No one noticed that the save wasn't live for a whole day?

Anyway, I'll be joining you all on Sylph in the near future. :)

The funny thing is that I sent an email to support yesterday and here's what they've replied soon after activating the sale:

They haven't updated their PlayOnline FFXI news (like, in the POL viewer) since May of 2015. Small things slip through the cracks :p

ZetaEpyon

Well at least it's fixed I guess?
Do send us a tell when you get online! :)

B.K.

The RoV mission about killing panopts filled my inventory without me realizing it, so after I advanced enough to get a new Trust cipher I missed out, and I can't seem to get it or advance to the next mission - tried to call a GM about it, but took so long to not appear I eventually had to go and sleep.

Any ideas on what I can do about it?

I did the same thing. You have to examine the shiny spot on the ground near the entrance to the cave. I forget what it's called. When you examine it, you'll get the cipher and can do the next mission.

ZetaEpyon

I did the same thing. You have to examine the shiny spot on the ground near the entrance to the cave. I forget what it's called. When you examine it, you'll get the cipher and can do the next mission.

Yeah, mystic retriever or something like that.

ApharmdX

Banned
I have to quote my own post from the last OT, but man, I am almost at my wit's end trying to get this game to run properly on my current hardware.

It's absolutely crazy that the game has been along for such a long time and I would love to experience it properly one day, but I don't think it'll be in the near future at this point.

960m so you're on mobile? You should check your GPU utilization while you're running XI (for your NVIDIA GPU). There's an issue with muxless laptop graphics where XI cannot run on the add-on graphics processor. If your laptop has a muxed design and you can disable your integrated GPU, that will clear up your problem.

I believe they reduced the imprinatur expenditure necessary to pass those roadblocks? It's definitely not that high anymore, because with 30-40 MAX done, my wife and I duo'ed Adoulin expansion last month.

I believe they reduced the imprinatur expenditure necessary to pass those roadblocks? It's definitely not that high anymore, because with 30-40 MAX done, my wife and I duo'ed Adoulin expansion last month.

If someone has 0 imprimaturs it's impossible to get/spend enough in 7 days to get into Chapter 2. If someone has 15 imprimaturs stocked they'll have 2 days to get through chapters 2-5. I guess that's possible but it wouldn't be fun :)

AwShucks

Ah...I remember putting so much time into FFXI back in the day. Recently was deciding between FFXI again or trying FFXIV. I went FFXIV and don't regret it.

But to be honest, a sale on the FFXI Ultimate Edition is tempting. I just don't have the time (especially since I will be returning to FFXIV in a few months to do Heavensward)

960m so you're on mobile? You should check your GPU utilization while you're running XI (for your NVIDIA GPU). There's an issue with muxless laptop graphics where XI cannot run on the add-on graphics processor. If your laptop has a muxed design and you can disable your integrated GPU, that will clear up your problem.

Windows 10 should be able to specify a graphics card on a per .exe basis too.

Top Bottom