• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Green plays Dark Souls III...STAMINA GREEN

Clockwork5

jeff, a good strat is to dodge the first move of any given knight by rolling straight through it right up in their face, then mash attack (not literally) as much as possible until you have one 'piece' of stamina left, then roll backwards out of range.
I wish he would try this just once. Roll at the dude when he thrusts. You wil end up behind him and be able to get one or two hits in before he shields up.

But anyway I am really enjoying this stream! I hope Jeff is too.

Grinchy

Banned
And he still has framerate drops with his monster PC (Titan, i7 and 32gb ram...). It's just trash. He should format and reinstall everything himself. This is not a DS3 problem. I think Jeff installed Bonzi Buddy and the Ask toolbar and is afraid to admit it.
Holy shit, that's his PC specs?? I have the game maxed at 60fps with much less than that. What the hell is going on there

zma1013

And he still has framerate drops with his monster PC (Titan, i7 and 32gb ram...). It's just trash. He should format and reinstall everything himself. This is not a DS3 problem. I think Jeff installed Bonzi Buddy and the Ask toolbar and is afraid to admit it.

No way he has anything malicious on his computer because he had a popup that said it found 3,742 viruses on it and it said click here to download this program to remove them and he did. Hes clean as a whistle, yessir.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
I've been pondering doing a completely fresh install of Windows 10 (I'm on Windows 8.1 now). But honestly I think it's a hardware problem. My guess is that either it's overheating or...I don't know. What is interesting is that I can always *hear* it when it's about to crash. There is audible audio distortion that starts coming on right before the system crashes. That's why on the streams you can hear me say "oh shit i think it's gonna crash." So I dunno if even an OS reinstall can help me---though I guess I have nothing to lose.

Meanwhile, John Caboose is now a manager of my YouTube channel, so hopefully the vids will show up there soon--and thank you John for doing that!

Giever

we're, what, four games in and I can still hear jeff mashing right bumper when he's trying to kill things instead of treating each swing like a matter of life and death

stamina green

When he actually first started Dark Souls he was waiting for each attack animation to finish before attacking again. Because of that he wasn't attacking quite as efficiently as he could have (there were little gaps between attacks), so people told him about queuing the attacks (pressing the button before your current attack finishes). I think that's the reason he probably mashes now, to make sure that he gets the next attack off as quickly as possible.

Of course, you can just press R1/R2 a little before each attack ends, and you'll be good, but when there's already so much to think about I can see wanting to remove some things from thought and just spam it.

Also panicking. :p

My random from nowhere guess is the people who built Jeff's PC installed one of his fans the wrong way round - or forgot to power it.

It might be worth running some other games (or some benchmarks) that really push the hardware and see how to PC reacts. If it is able to run some other stressful game without issues, then this is really a problem with Dark Souls III interacting with some part of his build.

If Jeff has never opened up his system before just to check it might be worth it. There might be something wrong in there that does not rear its head until the hardware is tasked with more stressful games.

Zafir

I've been pondering doing a completely fresh install of Windows 10 (I'm on Windows 8.1 now). But honestly I think it's a hardware problem. My guess is that either it's overheating or...I don't know. What is interesting is that I can always *hear* it when it's about to crash. There is audible audio distortion that starts coming on right before the system crashes. That's why on the streams you can hear me say "oh shit i think it's gonna crash." So I dunno if even an OS reinstall can help me---though I guess I have nothing to lose.

Meanwhile, John Caboose is now a manager of my YouTube channel, so hopefully the vids will show up there soon--and thank you John for doing that!

Have you tried running games with speedfan on in the background to monitor temps then? There should be an option in it to log them as well so you can see them even if the PC crashes.

You need a good old MSI Afterburner + RTSS overlay to monitor things temps, clocks and fps while determining what maybe causing the PC to struggle.

Giever

DS3 doesn't have cloud saving, by the way, so make sure you backup your save if you end up going to format route!

An-Det

Jeff Green
‏@Greenspeak
Okay. Gonna start fairly soonish--within next 15 minutes. I will mourn Prince the way I know best: By bashing monsters with my sword.

As Jeff said I'm managing the YouTube account now, everything new and old is uploading at the moment. I'm also organizing everything nicely into playlists for each game.

I hope the PC crashing situation stabilizes, it seems the game was at least partly at fault since the patch has obviously improved on the situation.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I want to see the archived footage of the streams were Jeff was have a seance with the Ghost of Streams Past.

Jintor

When he actually first started Dark Souls he was waiting for each attack animation to finish before attacking again. Because of that he wasn't attacking quite as efficiently as he could have (there were little gaps between attacks), so people told him about queuing the attacks (pressing the button before your current attack finishes). I think that's the reason he probably mashes now, to make sure that he gets the next attack off as quickly as possible.

Of course, you can just press R1/R2 a little before each attack ends, and you'll be good, but when there's already so much to think about I can see wanting to remove some things from thought and just spam it.

Also panicking. :p

Yeah, but buffering at most one attack is better methinks. Don't mash green!

Re pyro stuff. I mentioned on stream that upgrading the flame is worthless for spell damage. That's true at a low level of intel/faith but changes the higher those stats get. Basically a +10 flame is a waste of materials to a non pyro as the spell damage increase is next to nothing. I checked on my end game tank character and the +10 flame I made there has quite a lot less damage on it than the +3 my pyro build does even with only 22 intel.

Something else I confirmed from testing. Spell damage only goes up with the higher of the faith/intel stats. I leveled up intel 2 times and got more damage each time. Then leveled up faith 2 times and got no more damage at all so I respeced my pyro build and put all of the faith points into intel and got a load more damage on the fire orb than with an even split.

Cronen

I wanted to play some Dark Souls 3 before watching Jeff play through. I am now about halfway through part two. That said, has Jeff said why he has the settings on medium/low? He even said that he has a Titan card. Surely that would be capable of running the game on higher settings? This is before any crashes.

Shy

Jeff, as Giever said DS3 doesn't cloud save. But here is the save location path. If you want to do a clean install.

%APPDATA%\Roaming\DarkSoulsIII

I save the whole folder, when i make my back-ups, every few days.
Alright everything should be uploaded and correct now. Let me know if you find any missing videos, playlist video order errors etc.
You're doing God's work John.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Watching from the beginning. Loving it already. Having finished DS3, it's going to be a blast to watch.

I love Black Dragon.

Jeff, as Giever said DS3 doesn't cloud save. But here is the save location path. If you want to do a clean install.

%APPDATA%\Roaming\DarkSoulsIII

I save the whole folder, when i make my back-ups, every few days.

You're doing God's work John.

I remember people being able to basically wipe the save of anyone they join in DaS (or DaS2?)... *shudder*

I try to do my best. Still sad about the full Black Mesa streams being lost forever though. :/

Bl@de

I remember people being able to basically wipe the save of anyone they join in DaS (or DaS2?)... *shudder*

I try to do my best. Still sad about the full Black Mesa streams being lost forever though. :/

Thanks for your effort in uploading all the videos. And yes Jeff should definetly do two things after DS3/BB/DS3 DLC (so around 2018^^)

- Finish Resident Evil Remake (this game will be harder for him than Souls. Jeff fighting tank controls was hilarious)
- Play Black-Mesa

JustinBB7

Thanks for your effort in uploading all the videos. And yes Jeff should definetly do two things after DS3/BB/DS3 DLC (so around 2018^^)

- Finish Resident Evil Remake (this game will be harder for him than Souls. Jeff fighting tank controls was hilarious)
- Play Black-Mesa

And finish DS2 DLC!

An-Det

eff Green
‏@Greenspeak
Since I cannot be at PAX this weekend, and I am tired of cleaning my house, I think a little Dark Souls 3 streaming is in order. In 10 mins!

Shy

TREE BOSS DEFEATED.
zXHfQ82.gif

Im just being honest here. I've never watched his streams. What is so unique and interesting about this guy? Tell me the good stuff :)

Jintor

Im just being honest here. I've never watched his streams. What is so unique and interesting about this guy? Tell me the good stuff :)

he's an older, funny dude with a lot of experience in the games industry who jokingly claims to be running a clinic but frequently forgets how the stamina system works in the heat of battle.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
he's an older, funny dude with a lot of experience in the games industry who jokingly claims to be running a clinic but frequently forgets how the stamina system works in the heat of battle.

Not to mention frequently getting lost, mocking enemies who end up killing him afterwards and constantly saying "I'm still alive" only to get killed immediately afterwards. Oh, and his biggest enemies are looking at the chat window at the wrong time, bad depth perception and last, but certainly not least, gravity.

Now, that last paragraph may make you wonder why I watch Jeff's streams in the first place. The truth is he's a cool dude and he is a joy to watch. He's always entertaining, has a lot of insight into the games industry and is truly revolutionizing the world of speedrunning.

I started watching Jeff back before he finished Dark Souls 1. I stumbled upon his thread here on Neogaf right before I ended up being stuck in bed for a week with a fever. I ended up going through every single video on his youtube channel during that week and have continued to follow his streams since then. His Blighttown streams are probably some of my favourite gaming videos on youtube. So many hilarious falls to his death.

I had to.

Good work... Part of me hopes that's someone's saving all of these gifs for a big celebration when he finally finishes Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, DS2 DLC and Demon's souls... Should only take another three years or so.

Top Bottom