• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Pro Controller works nativley with PC

Teran

This is pretty cool, would be pretty cool to use for PPSSPP as well.

With regards to controllers on PC though, why don't companies write official drivers for the controllers? Selling more peripherals can only be a good thing right?

Memory

giphy.gif

Fuck yeah, it felt so good at the hands-on. So glad i don't need a silly dongle or anything this time around.

Peltz

Awesome little bonus. I'm really eager to compare this controller to the Wii U Pro Controller (which I own and love).

Baleoce

That is decent that it works off the bat. I'll still hold out for a Mayflash dongle though. The latency is much better for me than with bluetooth on PC. I've tried bluetooth on DS4 before and it wasn't great. With the official dongle it's fine. Mayflash wireless for Wii U pro controller is basically perfect.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm happy, but I'm also sad because I got a Steam Controller the other day...

Steam controller doesn't have a dpad though.

I may try getting the Pro Controller on Day 1 then. Been looking for a second controller to go with my Steam controller so this may be the win-win.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Does it work with USB at all? I think the only BT adapter I have for PC is my Wii U Pro Controller adapter.

Isn't that essentially just an off the shelf part with Nintendo branding though? I'm sure the Switch Pro Controller will work with it.

does the gyro work?

It will once Valve goes "Hey, dudes, we got that support for the Switch Pro controller in the house" like they did for the DS4

greelay

Oh man, might actually have to get one. I am getting a switch and need a controller for my pc. But it still kinda seemed worth it to get an xbox one controller. Going to have to get my hands on a switch pro controller to see if they are comfy.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I wonder if that means you will get Steam games that take advantage of HD rumble....

Doubt it. Though I wonder if it would somehow be possible to implement whatever rumble the Xbone controller has in the Switch controller with some driver magic. Like if the HD Rumble is as good as they say, would it be possible to emulate the trigger rumble?

People have made custom dll files for older dinput games that translate the dinput rumble calls to xinput to get rumble on xinput devices for older games, so, maybe?

Shaanyboi

Banned
I think I read that Nintendo is considering it. But I'm not expecting anything.
I think their comment was more broad about "legacy controllers" without being too specific. More than likely it was about GCN controllers for Smash Bros. though.

Nerrel

They already added support for generic Dinput controllers, which this is probably is recognized as, so it should work right now.

But that doesn't allow gyro usage, right? I like the trackpads on the Steam controller but the gyro does all the heavy lifting, so it's critical to me to have that supported. There are times when I just want to use a normal controller without the Steam pad's wonkiness but can't without giving up motion, and this looks like a good answer.

Skeletos311

Isn't that essentially just an off the shelf part with Nintendo branding though? I'm sure the Switch Pro Controller will work with it.

It will once Valve goes "Hey, dudes, we got that support for the Switch Pro controller in the house" like they did for the DS4

It's the Mayflash adapter. I really don't know what's inside it.

Linkup

This is kind of cool. Maybe someday we will see Joycon support through Steam and bluetooth?

I wonder if that means you will get Steam games that take advantage of HD rumble....

Considering that the Steam controller also has a LRA it's possible. Then again the software seems to be the star of the show anyway so who knows how long until Valve matches it?

Who do we contact at Valve to see if Nintendo are going to allow it?

KHlover

Banned
Can it work over wired?

The guy in the video said he didn't get it to work wired, but when MHWilliams plugged the controller in last friday for his Switch preview it was listed in the devices just in this guy's vid. He didn't try to play a game with it.

No conclusive evidence either way right now.

Sane_Man

This is amazing!! So glad I bought one. I hope it's more consistent than the PS4 controller. I have constant problem with that, even with DS4windows.

Pay 25* pounds more for a controller that has no headphone port or analog triggers. Obviously it's nice for those who were going to buy it anyway. But it's hardly going to make a dent in Sony and Microsoft's audience on PC.

It'd be nice if it were to get Steam support to make use of the motion controls. As is the DS4 and Steam controller are some of the best ways to play Wii games.

No analog triggers will be a bummer for many PC gamers I reckon. Great for emulators though, at the very least.

I mean, I get that people like them, but I'm trying to think of anything, outside of racing games, that analog controllers are good for. The DS4's analog controllers end up being more of a nuisance for me since they are so damned easy to accidentally trigger.

Plasmid

Nice! I'm glad i got mine when BB had one in stock.

Is there a cheap BT adapter available? Does it matter which one or?

Peltz

I mean, I get that people like them, but I'm trying to think of anything, outside of racing games, that analog controllers are good for. The DS4's analog controllers end up being more of a nuisance for me since they are so damned easy to accidentally trigger.

Rocket League.

Rocket League and Grand Theft Auto 5 benefit from these. Perennial top 10 games. I'm not familiar with many of the game games.

Qassim

The only question that needs answering is: Why limit game design? Analogue triggers are standard on the other platforms, all you're doing by not including them is limiting the possibilities of developers by not including them.

As for them being easy to accidentally trigger, that's a design issue of the controller - not of analogue buttons or triggers. There's no reason why they can't have a higher actuation point to avoid accidental presses.

Cool to hear. But I still wouldn't use it personally. The triggers on the pro controller are digital not analog. There is no pressure like other controllers.

Top Bottom