• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: For Honor campaign is always online.

Dumb of them to first claim it's offline and then not, but at first there wasn't even supposed to be a campaign to begin with. This is an online mp game, and you really shouldn't buy it for single player. It's like getting COD or BF only for the campaign.

The sooner everyone accepts that Games As A Service is the future of AAA games the better off you'll be. There is no stopping it anymore. Not after the constantly inflating costs of development and the sales success of Destiny. You can bet your bottom dollar every publisher is going to want a piece of that pie. Luckily I tend to like a lot of smaller mid tier games but those of you whose tastes are more focused on the big budget SW just have to come to terms with the way things are headed.

TLDR: Welcome to your future GAF!
They can be products that are supported as a service (as is the majority of the home console and PC industry right now), not services by themselves.

The day the average game has a limited lifespan is the day I simply stop playing video games. I love this hobby but not at all costs.

Mexen

Is this some customer feedback ploy? Are they gonna do a 180 and herald it as the second coming of gaming?

"After much thought, we have decided to bring the experience personally to you, regardless of where you might be with respect to an Internet connection. For Honor will be a X0+ hour offline campaign. We decided to go with offline to give more freedom to the players and reach out to more of them. We give you the future of gaming- offline campaigns."

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Dumb of them to first claim it's offline and then not, but at first there wasn't even supposed to be a campaign to begin with. This is an online mp game, and you really shouldn't buy it for single player. It's like getting COD or BF only for the campaign.

I bought BF1 for the campaign, as i don't play MP. And i also buy COD for the campaign and split screen zombies.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Is this some customer feedback ploy? Are they gonna do a 180 and herald it as the second coming of gaming?

"After much thought, we have decided to bring the experience personally to you, regardless of where you might be with respect to an Internet connection. For Honor will be a X0+ hour offline campaign. We decided to go with offline to give more freedom to the players and reach out to more of them. We give you the future of gaming- offline campaigns."

That sure would help. I have nothing against games that need to be always online, like Sea of Thieves (already pre-ordered), but in games like For Honor (campaign) it`s completely BS.

Skux

I'd be outraged a few years ago, but times have changed.

Who are these people? Who are these people playing on a console not connected to the internet? Who are these people who will gladly download an 8GB day one patch with their always-online internet connection, and then post on an always-online forum about needing an internet connection?

Sure people say it's the principle of offline play that matters but when have you actually taken advantage of it?

College dorms. Rural areas. Cruise ships. Hotel rooms. Even oil rigs have internet these days. Yes your internet goes down sometimes. Less than 0.1% of the time. That 0.1% simply doesn't matter to developers or publishers when everyone else is online, all the time.

Gamezone

Gold Member

Who are these people? Who are these people playing on a console not connected to the internet? Sure people say it's the principle of offline play that matters but when have you actually taken advantage of it?

College dorms. Rural areas. Cruise ships. Hotel rooms. Even oil rigs have internet these days. Yes your internet goes down sometimes. Less than 0.1% of the time. That 0.1% simply doesn't matter to developers or publishers when everyone else is online, all the time.

My console is online all the time. I`m still not buying single player games that doesn`t have to be always online.

Single player campaign is a good way to entice players who aren't interested in multiplayer first to buy the game. At least some of them might eventually decide to try out the multiplayer rather than none of them at all.

This was the case with Titanfall 2.

I'm quite disappointed in this. Every single Ubisoft game I bought and played this console generation was singleplayer offline with an option to go online. As a rule I never buy always online games unless its a MMO so sadly it looks like I would have to cancel my preorder.

I hope Jim Sterling does a little clip about this.

Or I guess he probably has already talked about always online at some point in the past (started watching a few months ago).

-Ryn

Banned
Aww god dammit...

First they kill off split screen and now this? WELP. Guess I'll just rent it or pick it up when the price has dropped.

Thanks. I had to figure it out. The game was already pre-ordered since their website states it can be played offline, but after the rumor, I had to figure it out.
Well thanks for doin it dude.

Who are these people? Who are these people playing on a console not connected to the internet? Who are these people who will gladly download an 8GB day one patch with their always-online internet connection, and then post on an always-online forum about needing an internet connection?

Sure people say it's the principle of offline play that matters but when have you actually taken advantage of it?

My console is always connected to the internet. I always make sure to have the latest updates. That doesn't REMOTELY change the fact there's no need for this game to require online for single player. If the internet goes down or they close the servers, I shouldn't have a game that doesn't do anything when it has a single player component.

It doesn't bother me personally and the game is excellent from what I played but this is still a stupid move - just because it's fine for people like me doesn't mean they should shut out people who don't have Internet (or data caps).

Serious question - in this day and age what percentage of people play games with their console offline?

Not saying I agree with their stance but it would have no effect on me personally.

I live in a semi rural area in the U.K., and my internet connection drops for a few seconds regularly. For web browsing or streaming (which buffers ahead) I don't even notice it. Even for MMOs all it means is a short lag spike every 15-30 mins. But for this DRM it means the game auto closes every 15-30 mins.

The only game I ever pirated was Assassin's Creed 2, because after buying a copy legally and being unable to play because of this exact DRM (game didn't even auto save before kicking me), I had to download a cracked version to make my legally purchased game playable.

This DRM system is utter bullshit. It benefits no one. Only creates hassle for paying customers while pirates circumvent the system anyway and get a superior offline experience.

Arion

Aaaand pre-order cancelled.

when was the last time ubisoft released a game where the online worked on launch?

People saying it won't affect them personally, it's not your internet you should be worried about, it's ubisoft's internet you should be worried about. This has happened time and time again.

prudislav

Its not only about people with bad connecton ... especially with Ubisoft their servers are "down for mainteaince" or whatever more often than not (at least from EU pc perspective) when i got home from work. And when that happend you cant even play sp just because Ubi serves buttfarted .... and looking by the defense force i guess nowadays the original online-only xbone would pass ... :-(

Kinda blows my mind how people went out of their way to nitpick every single word Saun Murray said a even got the investigated for false advertising , but when its a AAA game fom Vivendi/Ubisoft and they are catched to straight up lie andsuddenly do a 180-turnaround ... they are fine with it ....pathetic

Plenty of people purchase CoD for the campaign. If they didn't, Activision wouldn't invest so heavily in that aspect of the game very year.

I was kind of interested in For Honor, but no longer.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

And when the company decides to not support the game anymore? Then what? You have the Vivendi acquisition happening in the future, you want to chance it with a change of management hands?

What you're saying is incredibly short-sighted and what people are fighting isn't just one particular case, but rather publishers trying to set a new norm. If people don't make noise over this, what's to stop them from implementing it in every game? Do you think this bodes well for preservation efforts for the industry? Do you think this is acceptable when we already struggle with the concept of ownership of games that already paid for? Games as a service as opposed to actually owning what you paid for?

Publishers, especially in the AAA space are constantly attempting to encroach on basic consumer rights in a bid to monetize and profit on whatever they can. It's their right to do as they please, but don't raise a stink about how people are calling them out on it.

This basically what I'm saying. What's the percentage of people with a PS4/Xbox One and new games but no Internet? If Ubisoft servers go down I'll do the impossible. I'll play something else for a day or even a few days. Hell I'll do something else. It's not that big a deal in 2017 honestly.

I can't really say much more right now, but I did get to go to a preview event for For Honor recently. There is a specific reason that the single-player and multiplayer are connected; a reason that the single-player needs to be tied to the network.

Many of you still won't think it's acceptable after you learn what's going on, and I'm sure it won't justify the decision in your eyes. Just letting you know it's because of a feature that I think is pretty cool.

It has a campaign.

Especially when there's a reason for it which almost no one who's throwing a fit is recognizing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not going to support this. Unacceptable to me.

I do not want to engage in multiplayer in this type of game and it ruins the longevity of the game. I skipped out on Steep and will skip out on this.

More than taking Hitman as reference, I would take the much more successful (at least in sales) Diablo 3, which also was online-only in single player as DRM.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Aaaand pre-order cancelled.

when was the last time ubisoft released a game where the online worked on launch?

People saying it won't affect them personally, it's not your internet you should be worried about, it's ubisoft's internet you should be worried about. This has happened time and time again.

Rainbow Six is doing incredibly well

prudislav

Rainbow Six is doing incredibly well
Siege is not online only , LAN and training mode (situations) works fine while offline, Terror hunt is online-only though

More than taking Hitman as reference, I would take the much more successful (at least in sales) Diablo 3, which also was online-only in single player as DRM.
not on consoles, first month was ridicuously bad aka the famous error 33 and the glorious RMAH - also the countless of lag-killed hardcore characters :-(
But thats blizzard peeps would even eat shit with their logo on it . Also diablos main mode is Solo/Coop ... For Hodor's Campaign is solo only

also less successfull or "expired" SP games with that DRM should be mentioned .... aka SimCity (failed miserably) , Darkspore (not that old game but already expired), pretty much all the previous tries for online-only UbiDRM

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Serious question - in this day and age what percentage of people play games with their console offline?

Not saying I agree with their stance but it would have no effect on me personally.

- When Xbox Live / PSN for Xbone / PS4 are discontinued, everyone will play always offline - and you will never play your Xboxo One / PS4 copy of For Honor again.
- When there is a service error, you yourself will play offline or not play at all
- On top of that, quite a few players who prefer opffline play still exist and they are excluded without any fgood reason

panty

It's Ubisoft so I ain't giving them any money anyway.

Vote with your wallets.

It's a fucking SINGLE PLAYER GAME, it doesn't need to be always online. Fuck that.

Arion

This basically what I'm saying. What's the percentage of people with a PS4/Xbox One and new games but no Internet? If Ubisoft servers go down I'll do the impossible. I'll play something else for a day or even a few days. Hell I'll do something else. It's not that big a deal in 2017 honestly.

So you are telling me you're willing to pay top dollar for a product and be perfectly fine with it not working at all?

Games are not made to be consumed 20 years from now they are made to be consumed NOW. Sequels are made to keep the legacy going.

That's not even the main concern. Most online-only games don't even function day one because servers can't handle it.

Disgraced

If true—unless the singleplayer portion is far, far less substantial than previews suggest (meaning it is a brief, glorified tutorial)—

I won't buy the game and neither will my friends.

And that would be very dissapointing since we really enjoyed playing the closed alpha.

I own every Cod since 4 and Most Battlefields... I've never played anything but the campaigns lol.

xrnzaaas

It's not about that at all. It's about not being able to play (singleplayer content) when the game's servers go down or when your Internet connection is unstable.

fast_taker

Well, the majority of gamers are 99,9% of the time online while playing pvp, coop or single player (even when internet connectivity is not required). We have mobile devices and tablets with 4G connections, our laptops/desktops are always online but when it comes to gaming people tend to react with the "always online" requirement.

This reminds me of the X1 always online requirement back in 2013 which condemned the X1 launch even when ms changed that requirement.

It is not a big deal being always online especially when it comes to features and gaming innovation

Top Bottom