• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

Sophia

I made a post about this before, but the PSX soundtrack doesn't fit Doom. The game isn't and was never meant to be a slow, atmospheric crawl to haunting industrial sounds and eerie cries. HEAVY METAL is Doom. Alice in chains, Slayer, Pantera, Megadeth...it's music and art was all an homage and amalgamation of everything a group of twenty-something geeks in the 90s thought was awesome. If you take that away, you take away a big part of why Doom was so special.

On that note, no mention of the variety of free software synthesizers and soundfonts in the op? I'd hate to think that people are plaything these games with their OS' crappy default MIDI. Anyone who hasn't used a proper MIDI module or good softsynth before probably doesn't know how incredible the music can sound.

An article on how to set up Timidity at least would do wonders. Doom just doesn't sound right otherwise. :O

U-R

TL;DR – Doom gud.

Your post was really good and worth a full read.

I would add that doom was a very lucky game, if it was made today -even immagining a team wanting to hit all its original design goals and pretend modern FPSs don't exist- it would have encountered hard problems to solve, for example the player's expectation of most weapons behaving with "realistic" hit-scan dynamics, the very complex move & aim combination during firefights, but more importantly modern day graphical clutter would easily turn Doom mazes in frustrating obscure blotches that would basically beg to be streamlined and turned into arenas linked by corridors.

Some Doom maps, especially from Doom2, have also an astounding taste for surreal, distorted structures, it really nailed an uncanny valley of living spaces. Even Quake, with its improved graphics and some truly unforgettable ambiance, could not capture that effortlessly creepy mood of some of doom's maps.

Your post was really good and worth a full read.

I would add that doom was a very lucky game, if it was made today -even immagining a team wanting to hit all its original design goals and pretend modern FPSs don't exist- it would have encountered hard problems to solve, for example the player's expectation of most weapons behaving with "realistic" hit-scan dynamics, the very complex move & aim combination during firefights, but more importantly modern day graphical clutter would easily turn Doom mazes in frustrating obscure blotches that would basically beg to be streamlined and turned into arenas linked by corridors.

Some Doom maps, especially from Doom2, have also an astounding taste for surreal, distorted structures, it really nailed an uncanny valley of living spaces. Even Quake, with its improved graphics and some truly unforgettable ambiance, could not capture that effortlessly creepy mood of some of doom's maps.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it! The positive responses I've gotten from this so far really want me to do more of these! I just need another opportunity.

Also you're totally right about Doom being a very lucky game indeed. Have you ever read Masters of Doom? If not go to your nearest library and check it out, it's a brilliant read. Basically the life story of Carmak, Romero, and Doom.

I made a post about this before, but the PSX soundtrack doesn't fit Doom. The game isn't and was never meant to be a slow, atmospheric crawl to haunting industrial sounds and eerie cries. HEAVY METAL is Doom. Alice in chains, Slayer, Pantera, Megadeth...it's music and art was all an homage and amalgamation of everything a group of twenty-something geeks in the 90s thought was awesome. If you take that away, you take away a big part of why Doom was so special.

On that note, no mention of the variety of free software synthesizers and soundfonts in the op? I'd hate to think that people are plaything these games with their OS' crappy default MIDI. Anyone who hasn't used a proper MIDI module or good softsynth before probably doesn't know how incredible the music can sound.

DOom was also scary, dark, and methodical when you acturally played it on a hard difficulty. You do not just run in guns blazing to heavy metal sound tracks... you creep around looking for opportunity.. and only start circle strafing when shit goes to hell.

Also, the doom and doom II sound tracks have quite a number of slower tracks.

Don't need much more than BASSMIDI and 8MBGMSFX.sf2, IMO.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
An article on how to set up Timidity at least would do wonders. Doom just doesn't sound right otherwise. :O

I made a few posts about it in the past. I recommend Bassmidi and the airfontGM sound bank for a really close approximation of soundcanvas quality. Setup is pretty straightforward but some source ports need you to specify a midi format or device for it to kick in.

DOom was also scary, dark, and methodical when you acturally played it on a hard difficulty. You do not just run in guns blazing to heavy metal sound tracks... you creep around looking for opportunity.. and only start circle strafing when shit goes to hell.

You don't? When I play on Ultra-violence, I go balls out. How else are you going to make par time?

Keep in mind, that playing fast doesn't mean playing stupid. Making decent times on the level requires a solid knowledge of attack patterns, weapon stun properties and intellingent herding and positioning. Your way sounds boring. :)

Raptomex

Some updates to the OP.

- Added the ManDoom source port.
- The Dark Mod for Doom 3
- D2TWID is officially released so the link takes you to the website
- Added Real Guns Hardcore mod
- Added Freedoom. Not really a mod but more of a separate IWAD. Completely free.

I'll add some more megawads in a bit.

Raptomex

So it looks like I'll be hitting the character limit if I add anymore. I guess I should dedicate a post to wads and mods and just link to it in the OP?

Just a reminder that despite Doom 2's Super Shotgun and great bestiary, its still inferior to Doom 1 because its level design is ass. But there are some great replacements that aren't in the OP!

Deus Vult 2: Personally, I don't go for the whole Alien Vendetta/Hell Revealed Slaughterfest thing thats all the rage with the mapping kiddies these days. If I wanted that, I'd go play Serious Sam. But the craft and intelligence that has been put into each of the 14 densely packed maps in DVII is hard to deny. The bullet hell hallways, the chase sequence actually done right(its amazing how many "timed chase" events just don't work very well in Doom WADS), the chessboard, I could go on. And just listen to this 90s Konami arcade style track!

Back to Saturn X: Well, its just one episode so its all techbase, but you WILL NOT find 25 better lookin' techbase maps for Doom, I'll tell you that much. These are great, polished maps; smart encounter design, flows incredibly well with optional side bits of exploration, challenging for the modern experienced Doom player on UV but not to insane levels. And its got some great music that really ties the whole thing together.

Requiem: A classic megawad of the late 90s, combining many of the talent from other acclaimed megawads of the time, such as Memento Mori 2 and Dystopia 3. As a community project, the maps don't really "flow" into one another or anything, but its remarkably cohesive anyway, the light and breezy Orin Flaharty and Adam Windsor maps sliding in alongside Kernen's impressive sprawling epics filled with nice architecture and hard enemy encounters, and then the Matthias Worch maps that always have you on you toes for its traps and monster closets(always love the big bridge near the end of "Fireworks" with the Cacodemons rising out of he sea of lava). Great Doom 2 stuff.

Reverie: A recent mapset in the style of the great 90s Megawads like the above Requiem. Not too many huge arena-style battles or anything, just fast, tough, well-designed Doom 2 action, just like the old guys never made. Worth playing for Triplet II alone.

Jenesis: Very much like Reverie; 2011 release, classic 90s WADS inspiriation, medium-size maps with fast-but-challenging Plutonia-style scenarios to deal with. There's a "new" enemy in a zombie Doom marine, but he's just a commando skin. Lot of great maps, with a few real standouts like The Oasis Facility, Highway of Destruction, and some really brutal maps from MAP26 onwards.

Teknoman

Just a reminder that despite Doom 2's Super Shotgun and great bestiary, its still inferior to Doom 1 because its level design is ass. But there are some great replacements that aren't in the OP!

Deus Vult 2: Personally, I don't go for the whole Alien Vendetta/Hell Revealed Slaughterfest thing thats all the rage with the mapping kiddies these days. If I wanted that, I'd go play Serious Sam. But the craft and intelligence that has been put into each of the 14 densely packed maps in DVII is hard to deny. The bullet hell hallways, the chase sequence actually done right(its amazing how many "timed chase" events just don't work very well in Doom WADS), the chessboard, I could go on. And just listen to this 90s Konami arcade style track!.

Dat track! I need to play that.

my first FPS was Quake. I have all of the Doom games on Steam and I really want to beat them all. I should try it again soon... (I've only beat Doom 3, don't kill me)

G-Fex

good post JC.

I'm currently grinding through TNT at the moment trying to finish it. I don't really care for it too much, level design definitely isn't plutonia. I'll finish it though..

So glad this thread exists, all the Doom entries are probably my favourite shooters ever.
I revisit 1, 2 and 64 almost yearly and the gameplay still remains tight as the first day I played 1.

I don't think 2's level design is truly ass per se, i just think they focused too much on "aesthetics" rather than the actual level design.
1's design is just perfect and hard to beat, although I actually prefer the second part of TNT

Levyne

Banned
Finally get some free time.

Gonna start playing though Doom 1 and 2 in there entirety as they appear in the BFG edition. Then I think I will try brutal doom since I always hear so much about it but have never actually played it.

Time to wander into Hell and back

Lets hope the trend of OTs for classic games catch on! I am considering doing one for Panzer Dragoon Saga since I feel it never fully gets the appreciation it deserves due to being on the Saturn. I just am debating if there is enough interest by GAF to put in the effort.

If there is a place with enough interest, it would be GAF. Good luck! I, myself think about making a Yakuza franchise thread. Time to get me some Doom!

Levyne

Banned
Kind of a non-post, but just blitzed through Episode 1 last night. Who doesn't have the memorized?

Except map 7. For some reason it felt like I had to spend a lot of extra time in that map. Hmm.

finley83

Banned
So it looks like I'll be hitting the character limit if I add anymore. I guess I should dedicate a post to wads and mods and just link to it in the OP?

I have the third post so can stick it in there for you if you like? PM me if you're interested!

A couple of us brought our laptops up to work today for some lunch break DOOM.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to get a LAN session going (Zandronum/Doomseeker on Macs). Zandronum would try to launch and lock up. Had to force quit every time. Any suggestions?

So we ended up server hopping through different game types. It was a lot of fun. We will probably start doing this regularly on Saturdays.

G-Fex

After I finish TNT I kinda want to do Doom the way Id did or maybe one of the ones JC listed.

But I may try Back to Saturn X seeing as it's shorter with only one episode

SHL23

Banned
After I finish TNT I kinda want to do Doom the way Id did or maybe one of the ones JC listed.

But I may try Back to Saturn X seeing as it's shorter with only one episode

BtSX is a full megawad even though it says episode 1. They were planning on making 3 of them I think

Levyne

Banned
Replayed through vanilla episode 2. So much more ammo management needed, can no longer freely waste on the pinkies. Onto episode 3.

I'm playing through Brutal Doom right now. Good stuff.
Brutal Doom isn't a WAD you "play through", though. It's more like mutators from Unreal Tournament, in that it modifies the gameplay without supplying any maps of its own. So really, you're playing through [insert mapset here], just while using BD.

I'll warn you that apparently BD completely breaks when you're using a mapset heavy on custom monsters. Dunno how well it'd handle Scythe 2 and its plasma rangers, for instance. Same's true for most gameplay mods like that, really; not like Samsara'd do much better.

G-Fex

Well I finished TNT. I really hate Icon of Sin fights. Mount Pain was worse before that. Overall I didn't like it. The maps were really ...jarring, some seemed to work but others didn't. they were all over the place. Some were huge just for the sake of it with little to do in them, they just wanted a big map. And overall they were pretty ugly. Plutonia on the other hand were the better mapsets, they didn't overstay their welcome, sure they're tough as hell filled with death traps and chaingunners everywhere but still good maps.

So these speedrunner guy I know asked me if i'm interested in taking up running Doom. I may just take it though I know learning Knee deep in the dead on UV with good time is going to be very tough and take a long time.

Nice to see a legit Doom thread. Doom was my second pc game ever (Wolfenstein 3d) and definitely one of my favorites of all time.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I play Brutal Doom generally every day. Right now I'm playing that + Plutonia 2. And it's just fucking crazy.

Which got me thinking about what "type" of Doom do you guys prefer: the Doom where it's more atmospheric with a smaller group of enemies or the 200-300 enemy maps where it's just absolute craziness.

The first time I played Doom, I muted the music and played "And Justice For All" in the background. To the point where I mentally visualise playing Doom whenever listening to one of the songs from that album.

Raptomex

I play Brutal Doom generally every day. Right now I'm playing that + Plutonia 2. And it's just fucking crazy.

Which got me thinking about what "type" of Doom do you guys prefer: the Doom where it's more atmospheric with a smaller group of enemies or the 200-300 enemy maps where it's just absolute craziness.

The first time I played Doom, I muted the music and played "And Justice For All" in the background. To the point where I mentally visualise playing Doom whenever listening to one of the songs from that album.
I don't mind 200 to 300 enemies but not all coming at you at once. Maybe just a huge map with well placed corridors and rooms. Also, I'm not a fan of maps with huge open spaces. Kind of like Jenesis. If I remember correctly the maps in that wad are huge with a ton of enemies to match but you're not being overwhelmed all the time.

Vagabundo

I played DOOM1+2 to Beck's Mellow Gold, it added a whole weird sense of melancholy and weirdness to Hell.

G-Fex

Ok guys seriously this is an amazing hilarious mod

Russian Overkill is a great set of weapons and ammo that put the O in OP. Try it with your favorite slaughtermap.

Here's Doomworlds tarnsman trying it right now on slaughterfest 2012

http://www.twitch.tv/tarnsmandw

Episode 3 wrapped up and onto 4.

Fuck episode 4 ;_;

I know that feel.

I usually beat Episode 4 but just really give up around E4M2 if M1 isn't a pain in the ass enough already.

So Tarnsman tells me that Doom 64 the way ID did is in the works.

Consider me fucking HYPED to all hell.

This guy gets it.

One of the biggest disappointments with D3 was the entire Cyberdemon battle. You're supposed to shoot it until dies. Get rid of the soul cube shit.

The satisfying repeated "PSSH" noise as you unleash rocket after rocket into the Cyberdemon's toughened hide... irreplaceable.

Wools

Neo Member
What's a good version of Doom (Ideally, a port that is almost exactly like the original DOS or Windows 95 release) to download for use on Mac?

What's a good version of Doom (Ideally, a port that is almost exactly like the original DOS or Windows 95 release) to download for use on Mac?
If purism is what you're after, Chocolate Doom is your answer.

If higher resolutions and compatibility with more mods is important, but you still want it to basically play like it used to (and keep demo playback compatibility), PrBoom+.

If you want mods that alter the game far more drastically, ZDoom or GZDoom's a good bet (former is software renderer only, latter has an OpenGL renderer).

Personally I just play with GZDoom, and scale it back to PrBoom+ if I want to watch a demo or test maps I'm making in a slightly more true-to-the-original engine (and Chocolate Doom if I REALLY need to test for vanilla compatibility).

Raptomex

NOVA The Birth is really good. I love wads with original Doom textures only. I'm really digging the music, too. If this is what a compilation of maps from new mappers looks like it gives me hope that maybe I can make a decent map some day.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I know that feel.

I usually beat Episode 4 but just really give up around E4M2 if M1 isn't a pain in the ass enough already.

So Tarnsman tells me that Doom 64 the way ID did is in the works.

Consider me fucking HYPED to all hell.

E4M2 is probably the best map in the entire series. One of Romero's most refined works and a sort of progenitor to The Living End. On UV, it's also possibly the most strategic as well - knowing where to go and what enemies to deal with first in such an open yet crowded environment filled with choke points and crannies before you get boxed in. From the beginning there isn't a safe spot on the entire map, nowhere you can hide and catch your breath. It's great. :)

Top Bottom