• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule and Just Add Water have Project Morpheus kits

Shin-Ra

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/448594637377114112

ibtP1SYHqB4ZcL.png

Media Molecule isn't surprising at all but some close indie's appear to be in on the action already.

ib0ISJiy7H5lUK.jpg

Stranger's Wrath PS3 has Move and stereo 3D and video recording support so JAW's no stranger to using the extra system features.

Updated: PlayStation Move+3DTV for Stranger's Wrath HD out now!

Media Molecule: We must continue taking risks (January 6, 2012)
LittleBigPlanet studio spends big on R&D to ensure projects are innovative

Sony's acclaimed Guildford studio Media Molecule believes it is “vital” to remain a global innovator and avoid reliance on familiar ideas and brands, according to newly issued financial documents.

In a directors’ annual report, obtained by Develop, the Sony owned studio said its main business risks were “largely as a result of the company’s heavy reliance on the one LittleBigPlanet brand name”.

Since forming in 2006, Media Molecule has established that brand with two widely applauded PS3 games, but last year the group announced it would not be developing a third.

In its financial report, the company said “it is vital for Media Molecule to focus a high proportion of its resources on R&D to allow it to maintain its world leading position as a developer of innovative games”.

Media Molecule said it must “remain at the forefront of technological advances, and must bring new and often risky innovations to market in products of the highest quality”.

For the twelve months ending March 2011, the studio made £3.44 million in profit, the documents show. In the same period the company spent about £4.1 million on research and development.

To achieve this, the studio directors said Media Molecule was making significant investments in “leading edge physics and dynamics, rapid world creation from laser data, innovative routes to market via web based interfaces, 3D stereo-optics for advanced simulation, and use of ‘hi-def’ data capture and processing techniques”.

By the end of March the studio had about 50 staff, the report added.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine the wonders that Media Molecule will do with Morpheus. It's going to be amazing.

Oh yeah, and JAW too!

Freeman

Banned
Good to see a confirmation but that was guaranteed. If you think of what they showed last year and add VR to that, things get very interesting.

Shin-Ra

Remembered this as well:

Media Molecule: We must continue taking risks (January 6, 2012)
LittleBigPlanet studio spends big on R&D to ensure projects are innovative

Sony's acclaimed Guildford studio Media Molecule believes it is “vital” to remain a global innovator and avoid reliance on familiar ideas and brands, according to newly issued financial documents.

In a directors’ annual report, obtained by Develop, the Sony owned studio said its main business risks were “largely as a result of the company’s heavy reliance on the one LittleBigPlanet brand name”.

Since forming in 2006, Media Molecule has established that brand with two widely applauded PS3 games, but last year the group announced it would not be developing a third.

In its financial report, the company said “it is vital for Media Molecule to focus a high proportion of its resources on R&D to allow it to maintain its world leading position as a developer of innovative games”.

Media Molecule said it must “remain at the forefront of technological advances, and must bring new and often risky innovations to market in products of the highest quality”.

For the twelve months ending March 2011, the studio made £3.44 million in profit, the documents show. In the same period the company spent about £4.1 million on research and development.

To achieve this, the studio directors said Media Molecule was making significant investments in “leading edge physics and dynamics, rapid world creation from laser data, innovative routes to market via web based interfaces, 3D stereo-optics for advanced simulation, and use of ‘hi-def’ data capture and processing techniques”.

By the end of March the studio had about 50 staff, the report added.

Shin-Ra

Not sure how beneficial VR would be to New 'n' Tasty and the first-to-third person perspective change in Stranger's Wrath could be challenging without disorientating the player.

Lorne Lanning hopes to bring Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath to PS4
Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning hopes to bring a spruced-up Stranger's Wrath HD to PlayStation 4, he told Eurogamer at GDC - though it's not 100 per cent confirmed.

"I think we're bringing it to PS4 now," he told us in an interview. He said it won't be a whole new remake, but rather "a new SKU with some new dynamics".

"We're still going over budgets and schedules and stuff like that," he added, so it's not an official promise quite yet.

likely all Sony first party's have Morpheus kits

even when it was just a rumour I expected MM to venturing around with it

they are the creative guys

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Media Molecule is one of the devs I'm most excited for seeing their VR output. They're artsyles and worlds would be wonderful with VR and be completely doable in VR mode on PS4.

I recently read this Polygon article: The Oculus Rift will control the future of VR, and that's just fine by Sony
"Many people in the world would love to walk around in [Harry Potter's] Hogwarts and get that feeling of actually being in Hogwarts, or [Lord of the Rings'] Rivendale or the wall of [Game of Thrones'] Westeros, which was something that was just shown at South by Southwest in virtual reality," Sony’s Richard Marks told Polygon. "That kind of thing is something that non-gamers even really like."

It’s great that Sony is open to that sort of experience, but many of those experiences are already freely available on the Rift. I’ve walked around Hogwarts, visited the world of Spirited Away, and even seen the fourth wall in Seinfeld’s apartment. The difference is that enthusiasts can create these programs for fun and release them for free on the Rift, while getting the license for an official Hogwarts experience on Morpheus will be significantly more challenging. That's what the Rift will offer early adopters: A wide field to play in, and few rules.

But it seems to me that he like many others didn't pay enough attention to Media Molecule's presentation during the PS4 reveal. The sculpting tech they demoed will give every PS4 owner a means to create artistic worlds. This would be a very good counterpart to the freedom found on the PC and in fact would be far more accessible, since no programming knowledge would be required. Of course it would be also more limited in some ways, but I'm sure MM could create a playground for VR that's all that LBP could ever be and much, much more.

if PM doesn't take off we may as well just wait for next fiscal year and the trimming continues. hopefully MM puts out a game before.

Man

Please reveal this at E3. Media Molecule titles have real heart. Differentiate yourself from Oculus Rift.

Not MM!!!, i want them to make something akin to LBP or Tearaway for the PS4... not some quirky experiment.

Everything that MM makes could be viewed as a 'quirky experiment', it all depends on the angle you are taking.

To quote from the OP

Everything that MM makes could be viewed as a 'quirky experiment', it all depends on the angle you are taking.

To quote from the OP

Isn't quirky and experimental MM's signature? (LBP and Tearaway were certainly quirky and experimental)

I guess... i... i just don't see a sculpting simulator being much fun (for me at least)...

But i guess that's not the premise of whatever it is that they're working on.

ClearData

Shu emphasized that Sony would be rolling Morpheus out to smaller experimental teams of developers in an interview over on Gametrailers. I think they hope that teams both control the level of investment in the fledgeling technology and, if the experiments prove successful, attract the time and attention of bigger developers and projects. Media Molecule and JAW sound like very good fits for initial development kits.

I wonder who else might get one of the kits? On the first party side I hope Sony Bend can cook something up.

I guess... i... i just don't see a sculpting simulator being much fun (for me at least)...

But i guess that's not the premise of whatever it is that they're working on.

Pretty sure it will be the foundation of their LBP 3.0.
LBP always gave you the option to build stuff from scratch, what they have now will just give you far greater creative control over that process. I think the 'record your dreams' theme was there partly because they couldn't discuss the VR implications of that project. Because up to the 'doll concert' it all made perfect sense to me, the last part while it could still be a very solid part of their eventual game, by itself doesn't make enough sense imo. We'll just have to wait for E3 probably, but if this doesn't turn out to be some sort of LBP 3D that's heavily geared towards VR, then I'll be surprised.

So media molecules new ip is going to require move and vr?

Who's to say, Shu said that VR games will require dedicated development. But I can imagine that MM could release a game that would be cool without Morpheus and the Move and totally awesome with them. I mean the DS4 can be tracked by the camera too and without the PS camera, you could probably still use the sticks to sculpt. The 3D world should also still work perfectly without a VR headset, so imo it would be dumb to limit the game strictly to a VR&Move combo, but for the most immersive experience and control they would be required.

Pretty sure it will be the foundation of their LBP 3.0.
LBP always gave you the option to build stuff from scratch, what they have now will just give you far greater creative control over that process. I think the 'record your dreams' theme was there partly because they couldn't discuss the VR implications of that project. Because up to the 'doll concert' it all made perfect sense to me, the last part while it could still be a very solid part of their eventual game, by itself doesn't make enough sense imo. We'll just have to wait for E3 probably, but if this doesn't turn out to be some sort of LBP 3D that's heavily geared towards VR, then I'll be surprised.

I hope you're right.

Mm said they are trying to get everything working with ds4 as well...even of it is a VR experience, don't think it will be an exclusive one... Really looking forward to what they are doing, think they are trying to do the minecraft for adults.

Mm said they are trying to get everything working with ds4 as well...even of it is a VR experience, don't think it will be an exclusive one... Really looking forward to what they are doing, think they are trying to do the minecraft for adults.

Where did they say that? And yeah, that's pretty much what I'm thinking too.

Top Bottom