• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like major changes coming to Pokemon GO's tracking system...

I have the new sightings format, but I can't tell if that's available to everyone or if I'm in the test group and my rural location is just screwing me over for nearby.

Toki767

Pokestops themselves emit a pulse. So I imagine any pokemon you're currently tracking will be inside that pulse.

CpY9u5YUMAApy3r.jpg

dity

This shit's better than those third party websites.

I don't think I have the new Nearby feature though. Just the "sightings" one.

Pokevision guy sounds like a douche right now with his guilt tripping.

Kinda....

My new tracker doesn't look anything like the OP. Just has blades of grass next to the nearby pokemon

Yeah that's how mine is too. Because it's night time and I'm at my house. I'm gonna try to take on a gym in the park in an hour so I might see this in proper action.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
everyone gets the sightings section with the grass, but it seems like only a few are getting the new nearby for now.

molnizzle

Kinda....

My new tracker doesn't look anything like the OP. Just has blades of grass next to the nearby pokemon

Same here, but I live in the suburbs where there are no pokestops. The Sightings thing is for pokes that are near stops. Maybe stuff will show up by a pokestop?

Looks like this by my house:

jgGyEFr.jpg

wishdom

Only a handful of players have the new tracking system, I guess for testing purposes.

Either way I can't wait to try it out.

Is it?

How do you get it to show you where nearby pokemon are if they're not near a pokestop? I can't seem to select pokemon in the grass.

It seems to me like pokemon in the grass is equivalent to the original "Pokemon is nearby with no footsteps". An ekans immediately spawned in my house when he was situated in wild grass.

Acerac

Banned
It seems to me like pokemon in the grass is equivalent to the original "Pokemon is nearby with no footsteps". An ekans immediately spawned in my house when he was situated in wild grass.

I can say with complete confidence that this is not the case, else there would be 3 pokemon in front of me.

It seems more similar to the recent "Pokemon is nearby with no footsteps" in that it means there is a Pokemon... somewhere.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
So this kinda of basically tells you what Pokemon is on a nearby Pokestop instead of helping you track the previously nearby Pokemon?

Toki767

So this kinda of basically tells you what Pokemon is on a nearby Pokestop instead of helping you track the previously nearby Pokemon?

It's actually rather smart if you think about it.

The logic is that it will make people converge on a pokestop, ideally to socialize.

dity

Is it?

How do you get it to show you where nearby pokemon are if they're not near a pokestop? I can't seem to select pokemon in the grass.
If you're in a place with fuck all Pokestops you're probably getting fuck all Pokemon showing up anyway. And if you were tracking some far off Pokemon it was probably in the vicinity of some Pokestops.

If you're in a place with fuck all Pokestops you're probably getting fuck all Pokemon showing up anyway. And if you were tracking some far off Pokemon it was probably in the vicinity of some Pokestops.

The nearest pokestop from my suburban neighborhood is half a mile from me and all the grass pokemon are in the immediate vicinity of my house. I don't know what that tells me.

This really does make the past thread on the temporary tracking removal embarrassing
In what way? This isn't how game development works. You don't remove a feature vital to the game, not say anything about it for 2 and a half weeks, then announce alongside the DMCA takedown of fan-made alternatives that it was removed because it was too confusing and something better is being worked on.

And as it is, this doesn't look better. This looks like another feature reliant on the existence of Pokestops, which is a major problem in many areas.

zulux21

while pokestops summon more you can still get a decent amount of pokemon away from them.

I have a very special situation for myself though.

the area with the most pokestops had them all removed
the fact is though they are only removed from the game, as far as spawns are concerned they are still there.

so there is a place I can go to that has high spawn rates for pokemon without a pokestop for oh... a mile or two.

this is the place where the rarest pokemon in town spawn... so yeah, this will be useless there unless the pink circle can just show up on the map in general.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
It's actually rather smart if you think about it.

The logic is that it will make people converge on a pokestop, ideally to socialize.

I see that and it might be a way for them to release Legendary Pokemon like they previewed in the trailer now that they have this tool

Acerac

Banned
Oh you changed your avatar, I forgot you are the person who thinks that this game isn't meant for people outside of cities.

I'll just remember the name going forward, my bad.
This really does make the past thread on the temporary tracking removal embarrassing

But it still doesn't work for me because I only have 1 local pokestop.

guek

Banned
Not really, tracking still sucks for people in the suburbs. This only helps you track pokes that spawn at pokestops.

This game in general sucks for people in rural or suburban areas, nothing is gonna change that unless they start implementing a different rewards system

molnizzle

This isn't true at all, Pokemon spawn everywhere. I drive to the park a few times a week to restock on items but the vast majority of my catches are done in the suburbs.

This game in general sucks for people in rural or suburban areas, nothing is gonna change that unless they start implementing a different rewards system

Just need the stops for items though. Everything else is fine.

I went from being really excited about this until I realized that this is probably not going to make a difference for me at all unless they implement more frequent spawns and a greater variety of Pokemon in suburban areas.

I, for one, am shocked that a developer breaking support for something and removing a broken feature was done so they could overhaul and improve the functionality of the game. SHOCKED.

Maybe this will teach people to quit screaming at the earliest stage of an issue.

Bamboo 竹;212948268 said:
People who live on suburbs as me should start sending Niantic some PokeStops and Gyms suggestions instead of complaining here.
That's not something you can do though.

molnizzle

Bamboo 竹;212948268 said:
People who live on suburbs as me should start sending Niantic some PokeStops and Gyms suggestions instead of complaining here.

You can't do that anymore. They're not accepting submissions at this time.

Top Bottom