• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your preference: console gaming, pc gaming or mobile gaming?

Greddleok

Console.

Mobile gaming is horrible, the games aren't interesting, and I hate looking at a tiny ass screen.

PC gaming is fine, but if there's a problem I immediately give up. Ain't got time for that shit.

Portable for me. Although I've long been PC only (and feel most comfortable with Steam), and have enjoyed the comfortable couch experience of a home console, I would have to say portable is my favorite method - it allows for flexibility which is a big plus for me. Just today I've had to make a couple of trips around town and have gotten in about an hours' worth of gaming that would've just been used browsing the web or not doing anything. Most importantly, I don't need to structure my play around whether or not the TV is being used, so I can chip away at longer games.

One of my best gaming memories this year is just sitting on the recliner, playing Bravely Default with a blanket draped over me. It's not anything *special* but it really speaks to the whole "play how you like" bit that I love about portables.

That said I care about the games, so I'm not going to turn away from a system that has enough games I want to play. Sticking to just one system or method isn't a good idea for me, since there are a lot of varied games I'd like to experience.

jeemer

pc. last time i considered a current gen console i was weighing it up against a new graphics card. i can get cheap keys, bundle deals, cross platform games, my favourite controllers (xbox 360 wired pad and TE stick) work easily with most things and i have a crazy backlog already.

there are very few console exclusives i feel like i've missed out on this gen (off the top of my head - sunset overdrive, bloodborne, the last guardian, journey HD. the remake shadow of the colossus looks great)

i never really play games on mobile/tablet unless i'm on holiday.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Console.

Mobile gaming is horrible, the games aren't interesting, and I hate looking at a tiny ass screen.

PC gaming is fine, but if there's a problem I immediately give up. Ain't got time for that shit.

dont give up. console gaming needs pc gaming. without pc gaming, no AMD/Nvidia hardware for consoles ;)

Cramoss

I've been gaming on PC for about 13 years but I'm slowly transitioning back to consoles.

No mobile gaming for me at the moment but considering a switch

Voidwolf

PC for everything and consoles for exclusives and a few other games to play with friends that don't game on PCs. I also have a 3DS, Vita, and I'll be picking up a Switch sometime next year.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
the whole pro/scorpio nonsense was the final straw for me and got meself a gaming pc, although i still have a switch for nintendo games. not going to buy microsoft consoles again and will only buy sony consoles if i can get them ridiculously cheap.

StarPhlox

My time as of late is split pretty evenly with my Switch and PS4 but I'm definitely leaning more towards Switch. Probably a recency bias if nothing else.

I can say I don't really care for PC gaming and mobile is a case by case basis as I am loving Monument Valley 2 these days.

tsab

Switch(because hybrid)>PS4 for the exclusives>Steam for the backlog of shame.

If Switch gets the steam streaming app eventually will probably use it 95% of the time

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
console (PS4+Switch) > pc > handheld (3DS)

Steam has brought me back into pc gaming in a major way, but playtime on PS4+Switch is still higher. 3DS is a distant third, but I've still played most of the essentials. Would've been higher in my student years, when I still traveled by train a lot. I've ordered a cheap grip for the 3DS to make longer playsessions easier, because I've been neglecting the system in the last months. I don't play mobile games anymore.

Like most here I have options for all three and am happy as can be that I'm lucky enough to afford access to them and can play as the mood suits me.

But if you put a gun to my head and forced me to choose one I'd go PC. Not even because of the superior power but because the types of rpgs and strategy games I like to play can only be found there. I highly doubt I'll ever see Europa Universalis on the PS4 or Switch, as much as I'd love it.

Portable primarily. Secondary to that would be PCs (laptops). And then maybe some mobile here and there.

After a few years of moving around, including a few overseas jaunts, I kind of grew detached from console gaming. Anything stationary that requires a TV (which I didn't always have) I kind of fell out of favor from. I've admittedly never been a big PC gamer in years past, but being portable gives laptops an edge over consoles for me. I haven't owned any of the consoles from the last two generations. I did get a Switch, which I use as a portable system.

There used to be a stark distinction between console gaming and PC gaming throughout the 80s, 90s, and up to the mid-00s, but that distinction feels like it's blurring more and more every year.

sbkodama

Mostly pc since the end of last generation because of mods and setting options.
No mobile and only consoles from friends now.

Jacknapes

My preference is Console gaming with the PS4, followed closely behind with handheld and mobile for commuting/in bed gaming.

PC gaming for the most part and then consoles for the exclusives. I always own all 3 consoles every generation but only use them for exclusives as PC tends to be a better all around experience in most cases. I'm really enjoying the portable aspect of the Switch so sometimes I'll double dip on games for the sake of portability but there are games like Lego City Undercover that I went with the PC version for the sake of performance. Console/PC VR is the same situation where I play most multiplatform games on my Vive but still pick up exclusives for my Rift and PSVR.

Kaji AF16

I have never played on mobile, excepting for some GBA emulators.

I played primarily on PC between circa 1996 and 2010. Even if I have a lot of great gaming memories from that era, several factors led me to return to consoles (that were where I started playing in the late eighties, with Atari 2600, NES and Mega Drive clones). I am currently very confortable in the Xbox ecosystem and I don´t plan to migrate anytime soon.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
1. Console
2. Traditional Handheld
3. PC
9998. Getting my balls kicked in
9999. Mobile

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm probably a console fan, more than anything... I've got a ridiculous PC setup, but I dunno. I still enjoy the console (specifically, Nintendo) experience. I don't like portable/mobile gaming. I tolerate the 3DS being a portable, because the games are so good.

xJavonta

Banned
used to be PC. lately it's been giving me motion sickness though.

now it's console. plus after sitting at a desk all day i really just wanna chill in front of the tv.

I'm fully aware that I can plug my pc into my TV and have done it a handful of times, but my case is huge and my pc honestly needs a rebuild so the effort just isn't worth it to me right now. eventually ill build a dedicated sff pc for couch gaming though.

edit: and for vr i definitely want that dedicated sff pc for the living room

Trago

PC primarily because of performance. I'll play on consoles because of friends or exclusives that I'm personally interested in, and that's a small pool of games to begin with.

Boss Man

Preference is console. I like the plug-and-play aspect when I'm playing video games. Also couch + TV, and I'd never build a PC to sit by my TV or put a mouse and keyboard on my coffee table.

Every now and then I'll try to get into mobile (I mean handheld console here) but it never lasts.

Also, I'll fire up Civ or something on PC once in a while.

Zukkoyaki

Console for my primary

PC is exclusively for card games like Hearthstone.

I grew up mainly playing on handhelds but at some point around 5-6 years ago I found I no longer enjoyed playing on them as much anymore (except Pokemon).

Sanctuary

Whatever platform gives the overall best experience for the games I want to play. In regards to exclusives, there's not really any choice. For multiplats, typically PC. I don't play mobile games, and have no real use for portables.

used to be PC. lately it's been giving me motion sickness though.

now it's console. plus after sitting at a desk all day i really just wanna chill in front of the tv.

I'm fully aware that I can plug my pc into my TV and have done it a handful of times, but my case is huge and my pc honestly needs a rebuild so the effort just isn't worth it to me right now. eventually ill build a dedicated sff pc for couch gaming though.

edit: and for vr i definitely want that dedicated sff pc for the living room

The PC I'm currently using for media storage is also the one I play older games on, as well as use as a "desktop" system. When I built it in 2009, I grossly overcompensated with the case. I ended up buying Corsair's first, because it looked future proof and had plenty of space to work with. It was amazing to build the PC with it, but regular maintenance is annoying, and actually moving it is a nightmare (it must weigh 45lbs completely empty). When I built my current gaming PC at the end of 2013, I used another Corsair case, but one that's much smaller, is very light and also doesn't take up a whole lot of space. When you finally decide to build a new PC, think about a mid sized that uses a micro ATX board. They still offer plenty of space, and most cases usually can house the larger graphics cards, but aren't nearly as much of a burden to move around if you want to. Then of course there's the small form factor like you mentioned, but aside from a very select few cases, your options are still limited for overall space.

xJavonta

Banned
Whatever platform gives the overall best experience for the games I want to play. In regards to exclusives, there's not really any choice. For multiplats, typically PC. I don't play mobile games, and have no real use for portables.

The PC I'm currently using for media storage is also the one I play older games on, as well as use as a "desktop" system. When I built it in 2009, I grossly overcompensated with the case. I ended up buying Corsair's first, because it looked future proof and had plenty of space to work with. It was amazing to build the PC with it, but regular maintenance is annoying, and actually moving it is a nightmare (it must weigh 45lbs completely empty). When I built my current gaming PC at the end of 2013, I used another Corsair case, but one that's much smaller, is very light and also doesn't take up a whole lot of space. When you finally decide to build a new PC, think about a mid sized that uses a micro ATX board. They still offer plenty of space, and most cases usually can house the larger graphics cards, but aren't nearly as much of a burden to move around if you want to. Then of course there's the small form factor like you mentioned, but aside from a very select few cases, your options are still limited for overall space.

I've been planning out my next build for a while now and I've decided I'm going ITX for it. I want as small of a footprint as possible, and will probably end up going with the Fractal Design Node 202 as the case. I rarely ever upgrade or change components, so I'm not too worried about having to get into the case again unless I'm air dusting the components off

PC though I spend more money on consoles games easily since steam sales started sucking. But I still play on my PC infinitely more.

Phone is mainly for emulation.

Malyse

I want ports of my favorite mobile games to consoles
by which I mean Switch
. People constantly disparage mobile, but I doubt they'll actually played many of the better titles. I prefer console, but I play more mobile.

kunonabi

I play just about everything on console/handheld. Under very particular circumstances will I play on PC once in a blue moon.

I refuse to play mobile games.

Top Bottom