• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your preference: console gaming, pc gaming or mobile gaming?

PS4 pro and a little bit of mobile.

I have a PC (well 2 actually, an alpha and a gaming laptop) but no longer use it despite it being my main platform till about 4 years ago. 2 main reasons for this.

1 - Time. Since having a kid the ease of use with the ps4 works better in my life.
2 - I suffer back pain and when I use a mouse and keyboard to game these days I end up in a lot of pain. I have no where to set up a proper desk and chair to support me properly so its a no go for me now. Without the M&K advantage, PC's other advantages currently dont mean much to me anymore so I stick with PS4 and a bit of mobile gaming here and there.

everyer

Used to be a PC player for a long time.
Got my first PS4 3 years ago, everything changed. Never want to play a game on PC except Divinity Original Sin 2. Hope they will release console version later.

gelf

Right now it's PC ahead of consoles and then only a mild interest in mobile.

Console gaming used to be my preference until Steam came along and at a similar time games started getting better pad support. What really makes me prefer PC is the long term backwards compatibility though. I love that all my purchases carry forward and that I can still access and buy games that came out 30 years ago.

I actually don't care so much about the added customisation or power of the PC platform. I could easily be tempted back to console being my first choice for multiplats if they sorted out cross generation support of my purchases so I don't have to rebuy every generation. I do still like the simplicity of just buying a box and knowing exactly what will run on it.

Still, if a game is good I'll play it regardless of platform, but I've always found more time for handheld gaming. Yes, it's not an offered option in the OP but I still consider it an option until the Switch establishes itself more firmly next year.

meppi

Console gaming all the way.
Dabbled in mobile but quickly got turned off by it.
PC gaming never really interested me besides playing Half-Life DM for 6 years in a row.

Pachimari

It changes on a monthly basis, but right now I'm pretty much bummed up by the broken backwards compatibility on Apple platforms, and I do blame Apple for breaking up apps that may not be playable when iOS 11 hits. So I am soured on mobile gaming, which is unfortunate.

My primary platform now is PC where I've just completed Wolfenstein: The New Order and Assassin's Creed, and is looking to complete some of my library. All third party games are on that platform, and it won't be long till I'll upgrade my GPU and CPU.

I pretty much got all Sony exclusives on the PS4 but haven't opened up my game cases yet, so when I find it appropriate to play through a Sony exclusive it'll happen on said platform of course.

All of it actually comes down to how comfortably I sit on a chair. I kind of hate leaning in on my computer desk to controller my games, and I don't have the most comfortable office chair, and on consoles I hate sitting far from my television as I am nearsighted and so the only position I got is to sit on my computer chair right in front of my television with my legs up on the furniture in front. It's really not comfortable.

Ushay

Started on Atari (Console), then on PC for years, which is where I developed my interest in RPG as a genre.

Consoles were more of a side thing up until Xbox 360, which was where I pretty much switched totally and sold my rig. Have missed being on the top of the graphical meter, but now with Xbox One X coming out, things are looking good since I sold my PC.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
PC. I didn't get into it until early 2015. Between 1995-2015 I played on Playstation almost exclusively. The only other consoles I owned were Nintendo 64 and Wii.

As far as handhelds go I had a Gameboy Color/Advance, Nintendo DS/3DS, and PSP/Vita. I loved my Gameboy because playing Pokemon was when I got really hooked on games. DS/3DS was fun but never got into PSP/Vita.

After 2015 I started playing my PS4 less and less so decided to sell it but regretted it and bought another one. I'm so glad I did because I got to play Bloodborne, Horizon, Uncharted, and will be able to play The Last of Us 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2. My PS4 might not get used as much but I definitely won't be selling it. I'll probably still get a PS5 when it comes out.

FlamingHelmet

Neo Member
Definitely console gaming right now. Given life's time constraints I prefer the less fuss approach of console gaming over PC. Don't do much mobile gaming.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I passed from PSP/PS3/Vita to the GPD Win, i would say that console and pc have both their pro and cons, but in any case handhelds FTW forever for me.

Moreche

Consoles and considering building a PC this year.
Mobile isn't even on my radar,I thought it was the future about three years ago but I wouldn't touch it now or ever again.

sublimit

Banned
Console (PS4+WiiU+PS3) when i'm at home and handheld (mostly Vita and some DS backlog) when i'm away from home which is almost for half a year.

Being away for so long is the main reason why the Switch is so appealing to me.I hope Sony offers something similar in the future.

Tecnniqe

Banned
For as much as PC seem relevant with these answers there seems to be surprising little talk about it outside the usual stuff

Fbh

Console. I just really enjoy the exclusives, the fact most of my friends are on consoles and the Japanese support (though PC is also getting a lot of love from Japan which is awesome).

PC is, of course, awesome but I really can't justify spending so much on a high end PC.
For basically everything except gaming I prefer a laptop and it's hard to justify spending $1000 on a good laptop and then another $1000 on a PC just for gamimg.
So I try to go for a laptop that's good for working but can also handle some games and I'm fine with that.

Mobile...meh. I think it could be an amazing platform but the way that market works and the business model behind the games just isn't for me. I'd play way more mobile if I could buy something like Bravely Default or a real Fire Emblem, but F2P with microtransactions isn't for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I primarily play games on my PC, with my PS4 serving as a distant secondary system that I use solely for exclusives that tickle my fancy. I don't play games on my phone at all.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
PC > Console > Mobile

I play 99% of everything on the PC. Most multiplats, indies, MMOs... the usual stuff. Pretty much all single player games I buy on the PC. I focus on PC versions of multiplayer games which have the biggest, most dedicated communities. World of Tanks, for instance. I've kind of abandoned the PC versions of big budget AAA shooters, though - unless they have a really good SP component.

I have a PS4 Pro for exclusives and for console-focused MP stuff. Modern Battlefield titles, CoD, Destiny. I like the console Overwatch as well for couch with controller play, where I don't have to worry about being annihilated by M+KB players.

Mobile's fine. I don't get the seething hatred for it. It is what it is. When I'm sitting in the doctor's office, I don't want to play Hearts Of Iron IV. Candy Crush is just fine.

Rathorial

Mainly prefer PC gaming, though I do own all 3 current gen consoles including the Switch, and an Android smartphone.

The Switch has a unique portable form factor that makes it stand out, and will likely get the most use out of me vs. PS4/Xbone once more games hit. PS4/Xbone though...they're just closed off x86 based PCs in a box only slightly smaller than my mini-ITX case PC. Exclusives are the only reason I own them (except Switch), but this gen fewer objectively exist due to most devs going multi-platform. Console makers usually have to pay for them, PC seems neutral ground, Microsoft is porting all their stuff to PC, and I'm getting more Japanese games ported as well. Also, hate paying for online play.

On the flip side, PC gaming has this continuous larger swath of exclusive content, due to games that only work well on keyboard/mouse, certain genres that just don't come to console, crowdfunded games that list consoles as stretch goals, and a chunk of indies that either stay on PC or release first on PC. More games in more genres means greater chance I find something interesting vs. consoles. I like higher fidelity graphics on PC enough to get good hardware, but it's less important to me than performance and inventive/deep gameplay. Too many sub-30fps console games this gen, while even unoptimized PC ports I can brute-force with hardware + lowering settings to net me solid performance. Literally the only game out of my near 1k Steam game collection I couldn't get to run a stable 30fps, was Batman Arkham Knight for months before patches made it possible. Also, most of my friends primarily play on PC anyway, mods are great and I like going back to old games.

Mobile gaming...I just don't indulge in. Sucks up too much battery, and I'd rather listen to music/audiobooks/podcasts or browse the internet. Not a fan of the limitations touch-only controls place on games, and hate how my already tiny screen real-estate is being taken up by own fingers. The Switch is the portable machine I've always wanted, joy-cons finally the decent portable game controller, and when at home it plugs into my big-screen.

Console gaming for sure. I only game on my PC when I find a new MMO I think my brother and I would enjoy. As for Mobile, it still feels foreign to me. Fallout Shelter and Mario Run are the only games I've played.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Favorite? PC gaming.
Where I spend the most time? Handheld gaming (3DS 99% of the time).

I play some games on consoles, mainly by Nintendo and a few on PS4. But PC is where my heart is.

b0bbyJ03

Was always console gaming (mainly because all my friends play console) until I got a Gsync monitor. Now I only play console for exclusives and a multiplayer game or two.

Mihos

Gold Member
PC first since it is desk, vr, mobile,and console all rolled into one.

PS4 and retro second. I play a ton on mobile, mostly vita and PC though

gypsie

PC for mouse and keyboard games -> steam link for controller games on my sofa -> ps4 & switch for exclusives.

I'd play everything on my PC if it was possible.

I like certain exclusives for/ from Nintendo and Sony. So i just play consoles. Multiplats on the PS4.
Too little time to also game on a PC.

I also liked some MS exclusives but they fucked up so bad with the XboxOne that only recently i started being interested in them again (Scorpio)

BasilZero

Depends on the game I want to play. I have a gaming PC, PS4, Vita, and 3DS, so too many choices.

This. minus the Vita lol and replaced with the WiiU.

For me whatever I'm in mood with on how to play :p

Though my gaming is right now....mainly cause of my backlog.

90% Steam/PC
5% PS4/PS3
5% WiiU/3DS

Quasar

PC>Console>Mobile

Though with the plethora of card and board games on iPad I could swap mobile and console around at times.

Pjsprojects

The device is just the tool to do a job so although I like pc most of my gaming is on console.
60% Xbox one 30% pc and 10% PS4

GonzoCR

PC for the performance. But sometimes it's a pain in the ass (right now my computer is completely useless as the controller doesn't work on it and neither does the mouse or the keyboard), and I like Sony exclusives so I'll always have my PS console for that.

kiguel182

I like consoles but I would like my laptop to be more powerful because on PC games tend to release first and there's more room to experiment. I love itch.io for example and it's a platform that I recently decided to support more. Hopefully when I upgrade my laptop I can play more games on PC.

I also like mobile but I miss the tactile feedback of controls altought that doesn't stop me from playing games on my phone or tablet. It also has a lot of new games that are interesting. iOS is a great platform for new or different experiences.

Consoles are nice for it's plug and play system, I will probably stick to them + laptop and iOS of those differing rent experiences and better marketplaces.

mario_O

PC. And it is indistinguishable from a console nowadays, at least for me: I use a gamepad, I have it connected to my 4K Sammy TV, I play on the sofa.
I still get a few headaches every now and then with Windows and other stuff -and my hardware failure rate has been pretty high to be honest. I've had lots of problems with HDD's, motherboards, PSU's etc. All in a 5-6 year time span. But I still prefer the freedom and the power of PC.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Console > Handheld >>>>>>>>> PC

While I love console gaming (simple quick), switch is the 1st hand held that doesn't seem compermized to me. If it had something I really loved t\o play on it (I.E. destiny or animal crossing) it would probably be my favorite of the current batch of gaming machines.

Tried to get into pc gaming several times over the years and just never stayed long. It's not the money or building a pc (can do with both eyes closed at this point). It's jut how un user friendly it is. Shit just randomly stops working because a bad update was pushed or driver issues. Not worth it to me.

kiguel182

Also, my computers of preference are Macs so having a gaming PC would imply having two main PCs and not sure I like that idea.

KageMaru

The PC has become my preferred choice for games, all because I can play anything at 60fps if it isn't locked. Still love console gaming though and spend most of my multiplayer gaming on those platforms.

Top Bottom