• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant shrimps invade America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks delicious.

no-20120427-070025-432-2023801990-30965044-LARGE-jpg-171754-jpg_185050.jpg

Cannibal shrimp: The invasion has begun

Do not be alarmed, but the cannibal shrimp invasion has begun.

The influx of the jumbo-sized shrimp (which look more like a small lobster than the little pink crustaceans you see at the grocery store) has increased 10 times in the last year, according to a report from the U.S. Geological Survey—from 32 in 2010 to 331 in 2011. The shrimp-eating shrimp have been spotted in waters from North Carolina to Texas.

Tony Reisinger of the Texas Sea Grant Extension Service, told CNN that the tiger prawn "are cannibalistic as are other shrimp, but it's larger so it can consume the others."

The black-and-white-striped sea creatures have shown up in the Gulf of Mexico and Southeast coast and, unlike their bottom-feeding cousins, are big enough—up to 13 inches long and up to a quarter-pound—to gobble up smaller shrimp.

Researchers worry that the Asian cannibal species is preying on the smaller, native sea life, competing for resources and carrying disease.

The increase "is the first indication that we may be undergoing a true invasion of Asian tiger shrimp," said marine ecologist James A. Morris, who works for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Center for Coastal Fisheries and Habitat Research.

Scientists don't know exactly how the Asian variety got to the Gulf Coast—the possibilities include breeding in the local waters or being carried to the area by currents.

No matter how they got to the U.S., they're not welcome. Said Morris, "The Asian tiger shrimp represents yet another potential marine invader capable of altering fragile marine ecosystems."

The numbers are probably much higher than the reported amount. Pam Fuller, the USGS biologist who runs the agency's Nonindigenous Aquatic Species database, said, "The more fisherman and other locals become accustomed to seeing them, the less likely they are to report them."

The USGS will next look into the tiger shrimp DNA for clues to its origins, and asks anyone who spots a tiger shrimp to report its location to the USGS.

Source

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

kagete

Yeah something that large can range anywhere from $10 to $20 per pound back in Manila and I've only had them maybe 3 times back when I lived there. Most recently was maybe 4 years ago where they were de-veined and sliced partway down the middle, unfolded into two, soaked in butter/Sprite/garlic with some lemon, and then grilled over coals. Yum!

FStop7

Banned
We're fucked.

jaws-quint.jpg

Quint said:
Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We'd just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didn't see the first shrimp for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, shrimps come cruisin' by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shrimp come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and sometimes that shrimp he go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away.

Sometimes that shrimp looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shrimp is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... 'til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin' and your hollerin' those shrimps come in and... they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many shrimps there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin', Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol' fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the shrimps took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
No matter how they got to the U.S., they're not welcome. Said Morris, "The Asian tiger shrimp represents yet another potential marine invader capable of altering fragile marine ecosystems."
LOL what is up with this. There is fuck all you can do to control ocean populations so why worry about it? You'll just have to adjust to the changes that happen in nature.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
LOL what is up with this. There is fuck all you can do to control ocean populations so why worry about it? You'll just have to adjust to the changes that happen in nature.

Well, its a non-native species that probably did not come to those waters by nautral means. Like someone tried to start a shrimp farm with them.

ReBurn

Gold Member

The next thing you're going to tell me is that the government can't pass laws to stop global warming.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well, its a non-native species that probably did not come to those waters by nautral means. Like someone tried to start a shrimp farm with them.
Okay well that would be an astoundingly stupid move if that's what happened. It's not what came to my mind when invade/invasion was term used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom