• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Yeah, it's been so long since I watched them.

There is still room for a prequel to be made if they really wanted to, right? Or did the second one not perform so they've just left it alone for now?

They could probably make a prequel if they wanted to. The first Descent apparently made almost 60 million off of a 3.5 million dollar budget. The second one cost something like 7 million and only made like 15 back. Still a 200% return on investment, but it did not perform nearly as well.

And yeah, I'd love for them to do the prequel. In the first one they say the hooks and gear or whatever they find have not been used for over a hundred years, so it would have to go way back. Like early 1900s, which could either be really cool or really dumb. I'm not sure which :lol

Either that, or at the beginning of the second one, they come down through an old mine and then find a tunnel that's all boarded up that says "Danger Do not enter" presumably put up while the mine was in service. Doing a prequel set in the 70s/80s when the mine was in service could work well.

Metalmarc

Ok i watched the thing 2011 today

and it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be sure it's nowhere near as good as john carpenter's 1982 film, but i enjoyed it. i view it as a prequel tribute to carpenters classic rather than a bad remake like a small few thought it was

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I watch and read(mostly read) a LOT of horror. One of the best movies I have seen recently is Lovely Molly. It certainly isn't for everyone, but it hit all the right notes for me. It is everything I love about the genre, it is uncomfortable, frightening, deeply personal, and wonderfully ambiguous.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Yeah, they liked that.

My 6 year old is obsessed with Insidious. When I have them she has to watch it once a day since she doesn't have the net at home.

I'm thinking of renting Poltergeist to show them what a REAL ghost movie looks like!

Ok, how about 80s horror comedy stuff like Gremlins, Beetlejuice, Ghostbusters, Critters and Fright Night? Have they seen those? :)

Beaulieu

grave encouters was pretty creepy, watching that at night alone at home, but the last few encouters are laugably bad, it negated all horror feeling thata the movie could have left me with otherwise

abundant

grave encouters was pretty creepy, watching that at night alone at home, but the last few encouters are laugably bad, it negated all horror feeling thata the movie could have left me with otherwise

If that's how you feel about the first one, you may not like the sequel. The final Act is so bat shit insane compared to anything that happened in the first one.

I thought The Woman in Black (2012) was pretty enjoyable. The location and atmosphere make the movie worth it alone. I seem to recall getting some great scares throughout as well. Certainly one of the better horror movies i've seen lately. It's a classy period piece ghost story that delivers.

Beaulieu

If that's how you feel about the first one, you may not like the sequel. The final Act is so bat shit insane compared to anything that happened in the first one.

its not the "insanity" that i found bad but the effects I guess.
the large mouths were not scary at all, they just looked like I was watching a cartoon. The arms coming out of the walls were also very badly done.

I enjoyed SINISTER.

What did you think of the ending? Without spoilers, but personally it left me feeling a bit empty or that it just happened to fast. Which reminds me, a lot of horror movie nowadays seem to just always jump off the cliff when the it comes to the last 25 mins or so, it's a bit aggravating.

abundant

its not the "insanity" that i found bad but the effects I guess.
the large mouths were not scary at all, they just looked like I was watching a cartoon. The arms coming out of the walls were also very badly done.

You aren't going to like the sequel then. They overdo the large mouth effect and some of the stuff they do in the final Act is worse then your complaints.

What did you think of the ending? Without spoilers, but personally it left me feeling a bit empty or that it just happened to fast. Which reminds me, a lot of horror movie nowadays seem to just always jump off the cliff when the it comes to the last 25 mins or so, it's a bit aggravating.

Nowadays I almost kind of expect the endings of most horror movies to go to shit during the final act. I figure if I had some scary bits before the end the journey was at least worth it. But it's pretty crazy how many really good horror movies end up having crappy endings. Insidious was probably the biggest offender in recent memory for me. That was actually angered me because I was really enjoying it up till a certain point.

abundant

Nowadays I almost kind of expect the endings of most horror movies to go to shit during the final act. I figure if I had some scary bits before the end the journey was at least worth it. But it's pretty crazy how many really good horror movies end up having crappy endings. Insidious was probably the biggest offender in recent memory for me. That was actually angered me because I was really enjoying it up till a certain point.

Yep, Insidious is a poster child for great movies with a bad final Act. The movie was tense and interesting, then the final Act begins and all that is gone.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Ok, how about 80s horror comedy stuff like Gremlins, Beetlejuice, Ghostbusters, Critters and Fright Night? Have they seen those? :)

They've seen most of those. We were watching clips from gremlins yesterday because they've never seen it but I'm having a bear of a time trying to find a digital rental.

I enjoyed SINISTER.

As someone who also wasn't blown away by Insidious, I second this. Yeah, the ending could have been handled better, but the meat of the movie was still really good.

My problem with Insidious was partly that it was hyped up way too much to me prior to seeing it, so I went in expecting more scariness and was left with perhaps one genuinely creepy, yet subtle moment. It definitely didn't feel to me like a modern day Poltergeist like so many critics were making it out to be.

botty

Banned
The_People_Under_the_Stairs_Poster.jpg

Underrated Horror classic, with some comedic elements too. Also has a rarely seen in horror cinema 'young black' main protagonist.

Yeah Insidious definitely was the biggest offender recently for me as well.
Ending was a bit soft, but I still liked it overall.

Oh I definitely did too. It had some really fucked up moments that caught me off guard.

I'm thinking of renting Poltergeist to show them what a REAL ghost movie looks like!

Lol, I remember that movie scared the crap out of me when I was a kid, but I watched it again last year and was shocked at how terribly it has aged. The visual effects are pure cheese now -- only the practical/animatronic stuff holds up. So don't be surprised if your kid, having been spoiled the CGI of today, doesn't have quite the same feeling as you did as a kid watching it. I'd actually say the Poltergeist 2 is scarier now, partly because of their conservative use of computer effects in favor of practical and animatronic.

j1kdW.gif

I enjoyed SINISTER.

Definitely going to see that one sometime soon, although I'm wary since the director (?) is the same one who made Insidious.
Grave Encounters is also on my list.

One thing that's bothering me is how I've become habituated to horror. I used to jump at every little scare, but after watching tons of horror movies and playing through dead space 1+2 multiple times, I'm not sure I'm capable of being truly scared by a movie.

I'm not even 100% sure Insidious was a bad movie, maybe I'm just too accustomed to scary movies?
GAF seemed to like it, at least.

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member
The_People_Under_the_Stairs_Poster.jpg

Underrated Horror classic, with some comedic elements too. Also has a rarely seen in horror cinema 'young black' main protagonist.

Holyshit. This has to be one of my favorite movies. Just the right amount of 'what the hell' and some comedy to fill in the gaps.

During the horror marathon, the movie which really got top marks from me was The Orphanage, it's a terrific film if you want a bit of horror mixed in with the a great storyline and superb acting.

Cabin in the Woods is a recommended watch as well but I would say watch it after you have grown accustomed to the horror genre...

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member
So I just got done watching Grave Encounters. Wow. What a huge mind blown movie.So good. So so good. Makes me want to look up the others now, even if they aren't as good.

Melchiah

I feel like I'm at that point where I've seen every single good (and bad) horror movie that has ever come out ever. It's my favourite genre but I've maxed it out!

I recommend to get acquainted with Euro-horror, if you already haven't done so. Especially Jaume Balaguero's works, like The Nameless, Darkness, Fragile, REC 1+2, and his newest film Sleep Tight. It seems like the best horror movies come from Spain and France at the moment.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oh shit.

See, at some point I'd tried to wash all memory of Ghosts of Mars out of my head, and it appears to have worked, because you're right - I completely short shrifted how terrible that movie is. Apologies.

And I agree with you - that ending is maybe the only thing in the whole movie that works on the level I think Carpenter made himself believe the whole movie worked at. I was groaning/laughing throughout the whole thing, but that ending STILL creeped me the fuck out on first watch.

totally unrelated: I've gotten in arguments with some other film nerds over whether Jacob's Ladder counts as a horror movie. I say yeah, but I've been told it's more a psychological thriller, and those don't "count" as horror films.

Jacob's Ladder has an
arguably supernatural premise
and it is hardly an original observation but
sixth sense is a complete ripoff of the movie, albeit cleverly bent

Have you seen Coraline?

Will also suggest Monster House. MAAAAAYBE Paranorman. That movie has quite a few problems with it, unfortunately.

But Coraline and Monster House are GREAT introductions to horror for anyone aged 5-10.

I, unfortunately, was introduced to horror at age 6, with Nightmare on Elm Street 2. So not only was some really disgusting imagery poured into my fragile mind, but my subconscious had to try to sort through the MOUNTAINS of homoerotic subtext in the film as well.

Hell of a start to my horror movie experiences.

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member
Grave Encounters was surprisingly good and I'm not even a big fan of horror movies. A little corny towards the end but still satisfying.

Yeah, that's how I felt. I kinda felt like the ending was a bit.. Rushed, I suppose. I mean I suppose there only a few logical routes they could have gone but overall it was a great movie compared to the second one.

The first one had that original House of Leaves feel to it with the hallways etc. The second just felt.. Overplayed I guess is a word I can use. I mean I was curious to see where it could go, being a direct sequel and all but I was disappointed. I suppose it's my own fault for wanting to know, but the ending was so far out there that I just felt ripped off.

Tokubetsu

Will also suggest Monster House. MAAAAAYBE Paranorman. That movie has quite a few problems with it, unfortunately.

But Coraline and Monster House are GREAT introductions to horror for anyone aged 5-10.

I, unfortunately, was introduced to horror at age 6, with Nightmare on Elm Street 2. So not only was some really disgusting imagery poured into my fragile mind, but my subconscious had to try to sort through the MOUNTAINS of homoerotic subtext in the film as well.

nightmare on elm street and candyman here. To this day I won't rewatch Candyman. (I'm 24 now)

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member

Man, I think I started out with NOES too at the ripe age of about 7-8. Great way to toss myself into the melting pot of what horror movies should still be but probably won't ever be again.

Fou-Lu

NOES was actually my very first movie, not just horror movie, but movie in general. I was 3. I had nightmares about Freddie until I was 8. But I am a huge horror fan now!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm not sure what my first horror movie was, but the first one I saw at a theater was Halloween II, followed quickly by An American Werewolf in London. I was five.

They've seen most of those. We were watching clips from gremlins yesterday because they've never seen it but I'm having a bear of a time trying to find a digital rental.

There's going to be a Gremlins/Gremlins 2/Goonies Blu-ray pack in a month. The every-day price will most likely be <$13 at Walmart.

strobogo

Banned
Carpenter's Halloween was the first movie I saw that made me appreciate the technical side of film making. It's always been one of my favorites. The first movie I remember seeing was Freddy's Dead and as such, I was obsessed with the Nightmare series growing up. Fuck, I love them all. 2, Dream Child, Freddy's Dead. I guess FvJ. I really liked it the first time I saw it and liked it significantly less every time I've seen it since. I literally can't even guess how many times I've watched the entire Nightmare and Halloween series. I had a period of time where I had one of the Nightmares running most of the day just as background noise.

This thread inspired me to see if the Halloween score was on Spotify. It is. So is Halloween II's. And II's is so clearly John drunk and playing with his new keyboard. It's pretty awesome. I love Halloween II. And the score. Even though it is pretty much the same as the original but with my synths. It's just as creepy and foreboding, but in a much different way.

One of my favorite scenes in all of cinema is Michael chasing Laurie across the street. It's the only scene that makes me tense every time, no matter how many times I've seen it. It's probably the single scariest shot in the entire franchise. So fucking tense. The whole movie Michael has been this slow, emotionless creature and all of the sudden he's going double time ready to stab her in the face. I've never seen a walk with such malice in my life.

NOES was actually my very first movie, not just horror movie, but movie in general. I was 3. I had nightmares about Freddie until I was 8. But I am a huge horror fan now!

I never had Freddy nightmares. I TRIED to have them. I wanted them. I went as him for Halloween at 3. I only had one Freddy dream and it involved him coming to pick me it was his weekend to have custody of me or something. None of my nightmares have ever been horror movie related, sadly. That's the kind of nightmare I want.

Horseticuffs

Yeah, that's how I felt. I kinda felt like the ending was a bit.. Rushed, I suppose. I mean I suppose there only a few logical routes they could have gone but overall it was a great movie compared to the second one.

The first one had that original House of Leaves feel to it with the hallways etc. The second just felt.. Overplayed I guess is a word I can use. I mean I was curious to see where it could go, being a direct sequel and all but I was disappointed. I suppose it's my own fault for wanting to know, but the ending was so far out there that I just felt ripped off.

Oh man, House of Leaves is one of my great horror heartbreaks. I long to see it on the big screen much like I long to someday see Paradise lost, but I can't imagine how these things could ever be brought to film.

Someday some genius or group of geniuses is gonna have a shit-ton of money thrown at them and they will make a House of Leaves film and, I swear to Christ despite how the academy feels about horror, it will win Best Picture.

It has to :( I need to read it again.

Nemesis_

House of Leaves is such a flawless piece of horror literature, I really doubt any director could do it justice. :(

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member
Oh man, House of Leaves is one of my great horror heartbreaks. I long to see it on the big screen much like I long to someday see Paradise lost, but I can't imagine how these things could ever be brought to film.

Someday some genius or group of geniuses is gonna have a shit-ton of money thrown at them and they will make a House of Leaves film and, I swear to Christ despite how the academy feels about horror, it will win Best Picture.

It has to :( I need to read it again.

House of Leaves is such a flawless piece of horror literature, I really doubt any director could do it justice. :(

Aha. I'm with both on that. I'd love to see it up on the big screen but I have to sit here and be logical. They'd have to tell two stories at once and I'm not sure if any director could. I mean I think Guillermo del Toro Might, but I'm going to have to stress the might part. He's a great director but House of Leaves just seems like too big of a challenge for any person to take on and do right.

Horseticuffs

Aha. I'm with both on that. I'd love to see it up on the big screen but I have to sit here and be logical. They'd have to tell two stories at once and I'm not sure if any director could. I mean I think Guillermo del Toro Might, but I'm going to have to stress the might part. He's a great director but House of Leaves just seems like too big of a challenge for any person to take on and do right.

And how much would be lost without the different colored inks and typefaces, not to mention a lack of my beloved footnotes?

Just a fantasy, I guess.

Netflix needs to step up on the horror again. A few years ago it was great, now they seem to be slacking on their horror offerings. Some that were suggested in this thread look amazing.

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member
Carpenter's Halloween was the first movie I saw that made me appreciate the technical side of film making. It's always been one of my favorites. The first movie I remember seeing was Freddy's Dead and as such, I was obsessed with the Nightmare series growing up. Fuck, I love them all. 2, Dream Child, Freddy's Dead. I guess FvJ. I really liked it the first time I saw it and liked it significantly less every time I've seen it since. I literally can't even guess how many times I've watched the entire Nightmare and Halloween series. I had a period of time where I had one of the Nightmares running most of the day just as background noise.

This thread inspired me to see if the Halloween score was on Spotify. It is. So is Halloween II's. And II's is so clearly John drunk and playing with his new keyboard. It's pretty awesome. I love Halloween II. And the score. Even though it is pretty much the same as the original but with my synths. It's just as creepy and foreboding, but in a much different way.

One of my favorite scenes in all of cinema is Michael chasing Laurie across the street. It's the only scene that makes me tense every time, no matter how many times I've seen it. It's probably the single scariest shot in the entire franchise. So fucking tense. The whole movie Michael has been this slow, emotionless creature and all of the sudden he's going double time ready to stab her in the face. I've never seen a walk with such malice in my life.

I never had Freddy nightmares. I TRIED to have them. I wanted them. I went as him for Halloween at 3. I only had one Freddy dream and it involved him coming to pick me it was his weekend to have custody of me or something. None of my nightmares have ever been horror movie related, sadly. That's the kind of nightmare I want.

Just saw that. You wanted to have nightmares about Freddy? Was it just because you really liked the franchise/movies? I know they had a book out, between some of the movies. I remember reading the hell out of that until I sadly lost it. :/

And how much would be lost without the different colored inks and typefaces, not to mention a lack of my beloved footnotes?

Just a fantasy, I guess.

A fantasy I'm willing to believe in. Someday.. Someday.

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member
Netflix needs to step up on the horror again. A few years ago it was great, now they seem to be slacking on their horror offerings. Some that were suggested in this thread look amazing.

I'm going to do what others have and highly suggest Grave Encounters. If you liked the Blair Witch style of filming, which was quite awesome when it first came out. You'll love this mind fuckery.

strobogo

Banned
Just saw that. You wanted to have nightmares about Freddy? Was it just because you really liked the franchise/movies? I know they had a book out, between some of the movies. I remember reading the hell out of that until I sadly lost it. :/

I was going to kick the mothafucka's ass all over dreamland, son.

Top Bottom