• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Do Dishonoured after that. They feel like bookends on the same genre almost, with Dishonoured being the superior game. It's fucking incredible.

Ace!

--

Separate note. The seller who bought my Mordor has now contacted me to say that he wants to cancel because he bid on two at the same time and the other was cheaper!?

I explained that once he has bid he has entered into a binding contract and that I will report him if he does not pay. He has said "yes ok report me I can show that I bid on two at the same time".

Grrr. I wanted to sell that before Christmas. His English and his profile suggests someone who doesn't quite understand what eBay is. Which is fine. But he's robbed me of my selling opportunity. My response:

"I don't think you understand how eBay works. If you bid on something and win, you're obliged to buy it. You've wasted my time and destroyed my opportunity to sell this before Christmas. You've been reported."

Destroyed was a bad word to use. A bit comical, really. But I was very annoyed.

AcridMeat

Banned
I made a thread over on gaming side asking for recommendations. Also, it's lovely joining the party right at the end of the generation because I can just cherry pick all of the best games 😄

I think Bioshock will probably be next, though. I've been dying to try it.
Ah missed that, don't look at gaming much. Which Bioshock? I watched friends play through 1 when it came out and played Infinite, do it, see how it is, but then you're required to play XCOM. I need to read some spectacular soldier death stories via NeoGAF user "sploatee".

jimbor

Banned
Dishonoured was fucking fantastic.
Infinite was pretty good.

Dishonoured wins.

Is Sploat talking about Infinite? I thought she was talking about the original. In that case, many games are better than the boring tramp sim that was Bioshock: Infinite.

nvzLJmt.jpg

It's back, and the title is appalling!

Joking.

I'm not joking, it makes me tremble with rage at how fucking bad it is, like really, it's so fucking bad, even Cyanide's shitweak suggestions were better, Jesus Christ fuck.

Questionnaire Time!

Where do you come from? Staines
What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to? Unemployed and struggling to summon the energy and enthusiasm to wank with cold hands
What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end? I will die happy knowing I have trampled somebody's human rights and been paid to do it
Favourite daytime TV show? Come Dine
Fish or chips? Feesh
Daddy or chips? Cheeps
What's your tipple of choice? Strongbow!
Favourite party snack? Carrot sticks and Guacamole
Who is the best bald person? NinjaboiX or perhaps Moby
What's your disappointing claim to fame? I can do a Chewbacca noise, a great impression of the sea and I've met Ali G
What's your perfect Sunday? Watching family movies while hungover from a perfect Saturday
Did you threaten to overrule him? I did not murder him.
Did you threaten to overrule him? I did not murder him
It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him? *bangs table* I DID NOT MURDER HIM

Also 10/10 gif there Poet.

Symphonia

Banned
Is Sploat talking about Infinite? I thought she was talking about the original. In that case, many games are better than the boring tramp sim that was Bioshock: Infinite.
Nah, Bioshock 1.

Infinite was cack.

Bioshock told a fairly ok story but the gameplay was fairly lacklustre. Dishonoured came out of no where took a shit on Bioshocks bed and said fucking deal with it.
Wrong. Get out.

Son Of D

I didn't think much of Dishonoured when I played it. Granted that was when drunk and not in the mood to play it so I just fucked around and did nothing.

I should try it again some time.

anyone here playing Shin Megami Tensei IV

possibly the most annoying game over sequence ever

How bad is it? Because I don't think anything can be as bad as Drake of the 99 Dragons' game over sequence where it loads a new area, then when it loads you have to wait 10 seconds as the Gods or whatever taunt you before it then reloads the area you died at.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

JRPGs are the worst games there are. The thought of a JRPG that is even distantly related to Persona makes me shudder. I know that's not what you were asking. I'll go to bed now.

It has this system where you can pay money (or the 3DS pedometer coins) to resurrect rather than reload your save, but if you don't want to do this - and I don't, because the in-game economy is harsh as fuck as it is without going wuss mode - it involves blasting through like a ton of dialogue and exposition and TWO payment prompts in order to reach the main menu again.

It's just 60 seconds of needless BS in a game where the difficulty is fucking brutal.

And yes sploatee, go to bed. Ya knaw nathin.

Reknoc

It has this system where you can pay money (or the 3DS pedometer coins) to resurrect rather than reload your save, but if you don't want to do this - and I don't, because the in-game economy is harsh as fuck as it is without going wuss mode - it involves blasting through like a ton of dialogue and exposition and TWO payment prompts in order to reach the main menu again.

It's just 60 seconds of needless BS in a game where the difficulty is fucking brutal.

And yes sploatee, go to bed. Ya knaw nathin.

Just use play coins what else are you going to do with them.

xxczx

I'm playing Bravely Default right now. I try not to make encounters -100% but the option is just right there.

Also hi BritGAF.
Where do you come from? Lancashire
What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to? Hospitality.
What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end? Travel to places.
Favourite daytime TV show? Parks and Recreation (not English TV, shoot me!!)
Fish or chips? Chips if it comes with gravy.
Daddy or chips? Where's the gravy?
What's your tipple of choice? Cranberry juice.
Favourite party snack? Mini scotch eggs
Who is the best bald person? All my uncles
What's your disappointing claim to fame? I had my tweet read out on Philip Schofield TextSanta 24 hr show. It was 3AM.
What's your perfect Sunday? Waking up after 11AM.
Did you threaten to overrule him? what
Did you threaten to overrule him? who
It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him? where

Reknoc

Luckily, that and the horrible artwork for the demons are literally my own quibbles about the game so far. It's fucking amazing.

oh gee I dunno um PUZZLE PIECES DUH

Buying puzzle pieces is slower than skipping through the cheron scene. Pay up the minuscule amount of play coins (especially compared to Persona Q God damn) and learn to be less of a scrub.

Also I don't have a problem with any of the new demon artwork, makes a nice change from the cutouts of art books for demon designs almost as old as me.

Buying puzzle pieces is slower than skipping through the cheron scene. Pay up the minuscule amount of play coins (especially compared to Persona Q God damn) and learn to be less of a scrub.

Also I don't have a problem with any of the new demon artwork, makes a nice change from the cutouts of art books for demon designs almost as old as me.

It's MegaTen. Being a scrub has nothing to do with it. :(

Hystzen

Where do you come from? (Where do you go, where do you come from Cotton Eye Joe etc)
Manchester
What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to?
Hoarding souls and praising the sun
What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end?
NG++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ soul level 1
Favourite daytime TV show?
whats daytime tv
Fish or chips?Hollows don't eat
Daddy or chips?Hollows dont't eat food
What's your tipple of choice?estus
Favourite party snack?
Crescent Moon Grass
Who is the best bald person?Patches
Mark Strong
What's your disappointing claim to fame?helping Shaggy defeat Gaping Dragon
What's your perfect Sunday?wondering Anor Londo
Did you threaten to overrule him?yes it is my quest
Did you threaten to overrule him?yes it is my quest
It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him?yes.....it ....is...my...quest

New OT and bday is 14th november

Lirlond

Ken *Levine made Bioshock. You know, that game he created that went on to win a shitload of awards and was praised as a genre-defining title? Yeah, that one.

Come at me.

Bioshock was a boring shooter with a half decent setting ripped right out of a Jules Verne novel; a bland protagonist; nonsense plot and absolutely no substance.

banofypie

Banned
Ken *Levine made Bioshock. You know, that game he created that went on to win a shitload of awards and was praised as a genre-defining title? Yeah, that one.

Come at me.

First of all, was it really necessary to make it clear that you were correcting him? Don't be a patronising dick.

But yeah, if you think Bioshock defined a genre then you're a fool. It defies shooter conventions and is a shooter with open design in 2007. That's more like genre subverting than defining. That's what makes Bioshock great.

Also, awards mean nothing. Next you'll be citing metacritic.

Ace!

--

Separate note. The seller who bought my Mordor has now contacted me to say that he wants to cancel because he bid on two at the same time and the other was cheaper!?

I explained that once he has bid he has entered into a binding contract and that I will report him if he does not pay. He has said "yes ok report me I can show that I bid on two at the same time".

Grrr. I wanted to sell that before Christmas. His English and his profile suggests someone who doesn't quite understand what eBay is. Which is fine. But he's robbed me of my selling opportunity. My response:

"I don't think you understand how eBay works. If you bid on something and win, you're obliged to buy it. You've wasted my time and destroyed my opportunity to sell this before Christmas. You've been reported."

Destroyed was a bad word to use. A bit comical, really. But I was very annoyed.

looks like you had a bioSHOCK. seems he DISHONOURED your agreement. at least you'll get your red dead REDEMPTION, he'll soon be an eX...com ebay user.

orange box.

Symphonia

Banned
Bioshock was a boring shooter with a half decent setting ripped right out of a Jules Verne novel; a bland protagonist; nonsense plot and absolutely no substance.
I respectfully disagree. The combination of weaponry and an array of Plasmids was fun, adding an RPG-like element as the player learns to strike a balance between their health, ADAM and EVE. The setting itself, Rapture, was brilliant. Seeing it for the first time as you descend into the ocean was one of those 'Oh, shit...' moments. Saying it was 'ripped right out' of a Jules Verne novel is ridiculous. It drew inspiration from it, sure, just like all games draw inspiration from somewhere.

The protaginist is what you make him, the choices you make shaping and moulding him. The plot, while not perfect, was decent enough to keep me hooked. And dat twist, brah. At the end of the day, we can argue back and forth about whether Bioshock truly is a good game or not but, in the end, it's all a matter of personal opinion. I like it, you don't. Nothing will change that.

Mikeside

I respectfully disagree. The combination of weaponry and an array of Plasmids was fun, adding an RPG-like element as the player learns to strike a balance between their health, ADAM and EVE. The setting itself, Rapture, was brilliant. Seeing it for the first time as you descend into the ocean was one of those 'Oh, shit...' moments. Saying it was 'ripped right out' of a Jules Verne novel is ridiculous. It drew inspiration from it, sure, just like all games draw inspiration from somewhere.

The protaginist is what you make him, the choices you make shaping and moulding him. The plot, while not perfect, was decent enough to keep me hooked. And dat twist, brah. At the end of the day, we can argue back and forth about whether Bioshock truly is a good game or not but, in the end, it's all a matter of personal opinion. I like it, you don't. Nothing will change that.

It's not about if it's a good game or not, the argument is whether it's genre defining, which it isn't.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Do Dishonoured after that. They feel like bookends on the same genre almost, with Dishonoured being the superior game. It's fucking incredible.

Dishonoured is a great game, but the vanilla campaign is completely outclassed by the the DLC. The trials stuff shows just how far the deceptively simple gameplay could be pushed (hint: very), whilst the story DLC washed away the bad taste of the main campaign's horribly obvious plot and gave us someone to actually give a shit about. I highly recommend going all in with it.

That said, it's not really in the same ballpark as Bioshock, especially in terms of characters, VA, aesthetics, and world building. The difference in production values is noticeable.

The protaginist is what you make him, the choices you make shaping and moulding him.

I wouldn't say that. He's played like that to begin with and the player is offered the illusion of choice, but by the end it's very clear that you have minimal influence over who he is.

It's not about if it's a good game or not, the argument is whether it's genre defining, which it isn't.

You mean Bioshock? Absolutely not. It owes too much to System Shock 1/2.

Symphonia

Banned
But it IS about if it's a good game or not...

Ken Lavine hasn't made a good game since System Shock 2. Fight me.
I bought up the comment about it being genre-defining but, at heart, it's still about the quality of the game.

Chinner

Banned
what establishment allowed a duck to keep a pet?

seriously though, cats are solitary buggers and s/he'llbe back in no time, slightly annoyed that you let her/him get so hungry. ;)
Yeah hopefully. I can deal with it, but the girlfriend has been crying for a day solid now. She doesn't work Mondays but I do, so had to leave her. Feel slightly shitty.

Yeah hopefully. I can deal with it, but the girlfriend has been crying for a day solid now. She doesn't work Mondays but I do, so had to leave her. Feel slightly shitty.
borrow one of cheezmo's suits and live the rest of your life as your own cat, never telling anyone that you are, in fact, a fraud. nobody will realise! chinner is dead, only catnner remains.

Browny

Banned
* leaps into thread early *
Hi BritGAF... silent watcher here. Lovely OP - although there appears to be a lack of Her Ladyship Rachel Riley.

Where do you come from? A tiny village called Inkberrow, but now residing in Birmingham
What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to? Accountant / software chimp / problem solver
What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end? Enjoy more relaxing baths
Favourite daytime TV show? Sarah and Duck
Fish or chips? Chips
Daddy or chips? CHIPS
What's your tipple of choice? CHIPS oh no wait - Southern Comfort
Favourite party snack? Sausage rolls
Who is the best bald person? Moby, Moby, Moby, Moby, Michael Stipe
What's your disappointing claim to fame? I was on Midlands Today when I was 5. All footage has thankfully been destroyed.
What's your perfect Sunday? Getting a lie-in before 8, and having a bath in the evening. I'm a creature of simple comforts.
Did you threaten to overrule him? Derek? No
Did you threaten to overrule him? No - he's a lovely bloke
It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him? No - but I did ask for him to be soundly thrashed with a broken bottle.

Top Bottom