• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish Uncharted 4 tried to use the Dualshock 4 features in more unique ways

So in my time with Uncharted 4 so far...haven't really came across any unique uses of the features of the Dualshock 4...pretty much the only thing that could even be remotely considered a "unique" use of the Dualshock 4 imo is the clicking the touchpad to take out your journal...that's it so far!

Some things I think could've been enhanced with the Dualshock 4 unique features:

- Optional gyro aiming and/or optional gyro camera control: to me, this one's a no-brainer...could've enhanced the precision of aiming at stuff (which could very well work alongside using the right stick to aim as well!) depending on the implementation...when I say optional...I mean a toggle for them in the settings menu somewhere

-Touchpad usage to add more interactivity with puzzles and/or journal: Imagine being able to scribble up (and erase as well) your own additions to the journal. Imagine some puzzles requiring you to swipe the directions of the touchpad on the Dualshock 4 and/or other uses for it I haven't thought out of yet...

-Optional touchpad use to scroll up and down menus: this one shouldn't be too hard to implement...and could even be more readily accepted by people who otherwise dislike/look down upon "gimmicks"...I think using the touchpad to scroll up and down menus as another option besides the d-pad and left analog stick would've been nifty!

-Maybe some kind of way or ways to use the touchpad in order to use the rope/lasso in unique ways...perhaps swirling your finger around on it to whirl the rope/lasso around or something? I don't know haha

-Touchpad being able to rotate and play around with the treasures in the treasures menu...could be very similar to the way Mario Kart 8 lets you do that with the trophies (I think that's what they're called?) after winning a Grand Prix if you're using the Gamepad

-Use of the Dualshock 4 speaker to enhance the immersion in the game somehow

I guess it comes down to the bad reputation the Uncharted series often gets when it tries to experiment with unique features of the controllers/systems they use...I see Uncharted 1 (PS3 original...I think the remaster in the remaster collection scrapped the unique Dualshock 3 stuff altogether...I'd appreciate some clarification on that haha) in particular get lots of hate for it's uses of the unique features of the Dualshock 3...haven't played it myself, so can't weigh in on that yet...and Uncharted: Golden Abyss for the PS Vita I think also gets plenty of flak for the uses of the unique PS Vita features...but perhaps not to the same degree of hostility Uncharted 1 PS3 gets for it's uses of the Dualshock 3 unique features. I did play some of Golden Abyss from a borrowed copy from my friend...and I enjoyed most of the unique features of the PS Vita to enhance the game...

So GAF, what do y'all think? Do you wish Uncharted 4 tried to use the Dualshock 4 in more unique ways, or do you prefer it as-is, "gimmick-free" (at least from what I played so far...not likely the game's suddenly gonna start using unique Dualshock 4 features...but you never know...it might)? I'd appreciate it (but isn't mandatory for participation in this topic) if you'd elaborate on why you feel the way you do on this topic as well

I wish all ps4 games better utilize the dual shock capabilities, did innovation stopped after metal gear one?

Also, uncharted 4 needed more enemies and bosses like metal gear.

I wish all ps4 games better utilize the dual shock capabilities, did innovation stopped after metal gear one?

Also, uncharted 4 needed more enemies and bosses like metal gear.

I wish all ps4 games better utilize the dual shock capabilities

As much as I'd like that...I don't think it's realistic to expect EVERY PS4 game to better utilize the Dualshock 4 capablities

did innovation stopped after metal gear one?

Plenty and plenty of places where innovation still lives on in gaming haha!

Drac84

Witcher 3 has the best implementation of the touchpad thus far. Swipe up for map, quick click for menu, long click for inventory.

At a bare minimum games should use the four swipe directions for quick access to certain menu sections.

Witcher 3 has the best implementation of the touchpad thus far. Swipe up for map, quick click for menu, long click for inventory.

At a bare minimum games should use the four swipe directions for quick access to certain menu sections.

In your OPINION that is! That being said...I do agree that that's a pretty cool implementation of the touchpad haha

I do agree that at a bare minimum games should use the four swipe directions for quick menu sections...then again, each game does different things, so it's to be expected that different games would use the touchpad in different ways

ErMerGerd

Neo Member

Wtf. I've put several hundred hours into Witcher 3 and somehow missed this. Fuck me, man. Guess it'll be useful to know whenever they bring that Pro patch out.

Graciaus

I'm pretty sure Diablo 3 had the swipe stuff like mentioned above in Witcher. But stuff like that I'm not use to and usually just forget about. Every game should take advantage of these things.

Mediking

Was OP not impressed with how you gotta use the DS4 for a flashlight in later chapters of Uncharted 4? :^)

Fun in theory, almost always awful in implementation. As you mention, the DualShock 3 balancing on logs in Drake's Fortune was widely complained about and smartly stricken from the sequels. Golden Abyss on Vita was filled with gimmicky stuff that got old real quick.

I completely understand why devs don't want to spend time on fringe/gimmicky features for their games when they almost always are panned by player and critic alike.

The touchpad in general is just incredibly underused. I think it's fair to say that in the end it was unnecessary. It's basically just a giant select button.

I'm pretty sure Diablo 3 had the swipe stuff like mentioned above in Witcher. But stuff like that I'm not use to and usually just forget about. Every game should take advantage of these things.

I'm pretty sure Diablo 3 had the swipe stuff like mentioned above in Witcher.

Aah...pretty cool!

But stuff like that I'm not use to and usually just forget about.

That's the great thing about it being an optional feature (in this particular case, I don't mind the swipe stuff being an optional feature)...you're not forced or penalized for not using it (the swipe stuff)

Every game should take advantage of these things.

Although that's your OPINION, I do agree with that ideal haha

Was OP not impressed with how you gotta use the DS4 for a flashlight in later chapters of Uncharted 4? :^)

whAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT! Haven't got up to there yet...but that sure sounds, more or less, something that may just be what I'm craving haha! Is it (optionally) gyro-controlled?

Nev

Banned
Well what were you expecting from Sony?

You can get more out of your DS4 with Steam. It runs natively and lets you configure literally everything for literally any game ever, from gyro to button assignment, even turning that stupid light off or using the touchpad for whatever you want.

Yes, you can use gyro aiming in any game.

On the other hand you can barely use any of the features of the controller on the PS4, gyro aiming is completely out of the equation and the touchpad is used as a Select replacement.

Sony is a complete and utter joke.

If you want to get the best out of their controller get Steam and discover how it's like from a company who actually does things #4theplayers.

They didn't have the obligation of offering complete DS4 support at all (with button prompts and all), especially considering they added it by the time they introduced their own controller, yet they managed to make the DS4 a better PC controller than a PS4 one.

Melchiah

The touchpad usage in Let It Die can be annoying. I've sometimes accidentally used an item by pressing it, when I meant to swipe and change to another. The same has happened when I've been meaning to access the inventory via the options button. It's so close to the touchpad, and you use an item by pressing its right corner.

Corpekata

Banned
inFamous: Second Son used it in pretty interesting ways, especially the gyro.

Thought Infamous SS was basically the way to do it the worst. Way too gimmicky and finnicky and it didn't really add much. The sort of goofy handling only launch(ish) window titles have before they smarten up and realize it's more awkward than fun.

Bramble

So in my time with Uncharted 4 so far...haven't really came across any unique uses of the features of the Dualshock 4...pretty much the only thing that could even be remotely considered a "unique" use of the Dualshock 4 imo is the clicking the touchpad to take out your journal...that's it so far!

Some things I think could've been enhanced with the Dualshock 4 unique features:

- Optional gyro aiming and/or optional gyro camera control: to me, this one's a no-brainer...could've enhanced the precision of aiming at stuff (which could very well work alongside using the right stick to aim as well!) depending on the implementation...when I say optional...I mean a toggle for them in the settings menu somewhere

-Touchpad usage to add more interactivity with puzzles and/or journal: Imagine being able to scribble up (and erase as well) your own additions to the journal. Imagine some puzzles requiring you to swipe the directions of the touchpad on the Dualshock 4 and/or other uses for it I haven't thought out of yet...

-Optional touchpad use to scroll up and down menus: this one shouldn't be too hard to implement...and could even be more readily accepted by people who otherwise dislike/look down upon "gimmicks"...I think using the touchpad to scroll up and down menus as another option besides the d-pad and left analog stick would've been nifty!

-Maybe some kind of way or ways to use the touchpad in order to use the rope/lasso in unique ways...perhaps swirling your finger around on it to whirl the rope/lasso around or something? I don't know haha

-Touchpad being able to rotate and play around with the treasures in the treasures menu...could be very similar to the way Mario Kart 8 lets you do that with the trophies (I think that's what they're called?) after winning a Grand Prix if you're using the Gamepad

I guess it comes down to the bad reputation the Uncharted series often gets when it tries to experiment with unique features of the controllers/systems they use...I see Uncharted 1 (PS3 original...I think the remaster in the remaster collection scrapped the unique Dualshock 3 stuff altogether...I'd appreciate some clarification on that haha) in particular get lots of hate for it's uses of the unique features of the Dualshock 3...haven't played it myself, so can't weigh in on that yet...and Uncharted: Golden Abyss for the PS Vita I think also gets plenty of flak for the uses of the unique PS Vita features...but perhaps not to the same degree of hostility Uncharted 1 PS3 gets for it's uses of the Dualshock 3 unique features. I did play some of Golden Abyss from a borrowed copy from my friend...and I enjoyed most of the unique features of the PS Vita to enhance the game...

So GAF, what do y'all think? Do you wish Uncharted 4 tried to use the Dualshock 4 in more unique ways, or do you prefer it as-is, "gimmick-free" (at least from what I played so far...not likely the game's suddenly gonna start using unique Dualshock 4 features...but you never know...it might)? I'd appreciate it (but isn't mandatory for participation in this topic) if you'd elaborate on why you feel the way you do on this topic as well

Why would anyone use gyro aiming? Nobody used that in Uncharted 1.

Scribble on the touch pad? Such a small touch pad? With your finger? Another stupid idea nobody would use.

Why would you scroll down menus with the touch pad when you have an ANALOG STICK?

Rope? Not even gonna comment on that.

Rotate treasures? That seriously bothers you? Again: you have an ANALOG STICK.

I think I'm very happy you don't work at Naughty Dog.

jwk94

Haven't played Witcher 3 but I think Tomb Raider Definite Edition made the best use of the touch pad. Swipe up to strike your torch, swipe down to extinguish it. This is the only time when the touchpad was fast than a button press for me, AND it felt natural.

Well what were you expecting from Sony?

You can get more out of your DS4 with Steam. It runs natively and lets you configure literally everything for literally any game ever, from gyro to button assignment, even turning that stupid light off or using the touchpad for whatever you want.

Yes, you can use gyro aiming in any game.

On the other hand you can barely use any of the features of the controller on the PS4, gyro aiming is completely out of the equation and the touchpad is used as a Select replacement.

Sony is a complete and utter joke.

If you want to get the best out of their controller get Steam and discover how it's like from a company who actually does things #4theplayers.

They didn't have the obligation of offering complete DS4 support at all (with button prompts and all), especially considering they added it by the time they introduced their own controller, yet they managed to make the DS4 a better PC controller than a PS4 one.

This is good to know. Will definitely go the DS4 on PC over Xbox controller for uniformity across platforms then.

"
-Use of the Dualshock 4 speaker to enhance the immersion in the game somehow"

No, the controller speaker quality is awful and a lot of games don't let you reroute it which is especially awful if using headphones

It has it in the mp and I turned it off almost immediately

geordiemp

So in my time with Uncharted 4 so far...haven't really came across any unique uses of the features of the Dualshock 4.

- Optional gyro aiming and/or optional gyro camera control: to me, this one's a no-brainer...could've enhanced the precision of aiming at stuff

- Had enough of gyro with Wii, been there done that no thanks, Gyro is best left for VR.

- Speaker ? Get some decent surround headphones if you want to feel immersed with sounds around you. Controller speakers are NAFF concept.

because gyro aiming has come a long way since Uncharted 1 and it's genuinely better than just aiming with sticks alone if implemented well

The splatoon love in is elsewhere on the front page. Nobody else wants gyro aiming unless in VR thanks.

Fun in theory, almost always awful in implementation. As you mention, the DualShock 3 balancing on logs in Drake's Fortune was widely complained about and smartly stricken from the sequels. Golden Abyss on Vita was filled with gimmicky stuff that got old real quick.

I completely understand why devs don't want to spend time on fringe/gimmicky features for their games when they almost always are panned by player and critic alike.

Seems like to me, you've at least read some of the OP, and I appreciate it haha!

Fun in theory, almost always awful in implementation.

In your OPINION that is! That being said...it depends on the game and the expertise of the developers in trying to implement them...sometimes, less-experienced dev.s could have great ideas for using unique features of the platform they're making a game for, and yet their presumed lack of experience could hold them back from fully realizing their vision for those things...

As you mention, the DualShock 3 balancing on logs in Drake's Fortune was widely complained about and smartly stricken from the sequels.

Sounds like it was terrible in Uncharted 1 PS3...and yet, I don't really think it was a bad idea...could've been refined and worked differently in the sequels, yet still be motion controlled (ideally as a toggle-able option)...look at analog sticks. Perhaps the Nintendo 64 popularized them in home consoles...and yet I think most, alongside myself, can agree it was sort of shitty for various reasons...didn't stop other consoles from refining the analog stick! With refinements, things that were once "gimmicks" can become legitimate and accepted means of control/ways to enhance the game/games for the better imo

Golden Abyss on Vita was filled with gimmicky stuff that got old real quick.

In your OPINION that is! I pretty much loved every "gimmick" feature in that game...at least from what I played so far

Somewhat like the example above with the Nintendo 64 and it's analog stick...it is pretty possible imo for a "gimmick" or "gimmicks" to be pretty popular on their first try, yet being kind of flawed...it takes time and effort for things viewed as "gimmicks" to become standard and an acceptable part of gaming (once they're refined to an acceptable degree that is). That's why I still believe it's important for companies to branch out and experiment...find the next thing or things that become standard for gaming in general.

inFamous: Second Son used it in pretty interesting ways, especially the gyro.

In your OPINION that is! That might just get me to check out the game and see what you mean!

The touchpad in general is just incredibly underused. I think it's fair to say that in the end it was unnecessary. It's basically just a giant select button.

The touchpad in general is just incredibly underused.

For most PS4 games I know of...I agree :[

I think it's fair to say that in the end it was unnecessary. It's basically just a giant select button.

Pretty sad to me...it was one of the things that immediately turned my attention towards the PS4 when I first learned of it...and yep, the vast majority of PS4 games, at least the ones I know of, do use it as just a giant select button :[

- Had enough of gyro with Wii

oh? tell me all about it since your experiences with 'gyro' on Wii are analogous to that of those using gyro-assisted dual analog controls

The splatoon love in is elsewhere on the front page. Nobody else wants gyro aiming unless in VR thanks.

You have no idea what you're talking about. I mean, you used your experiences with the Wii to dismiss gyro-assisted dual analog aiming. Wii didn't have gyro (without motion plus), much less gyro-assisted dual analog control. There's absolutely nothing wrong with gyro aim assist as an option, it's genuinely better than just aiming with analog sticks alone, and the controller supports it. It should be an option.

Gyro support is available for every single game on PC thanks to Steam and it's great. There's no reason why it can't be a thing on PS4, especially when that reason is as shitty as "lol I assume nobody wants it"

Melchiah

"

No, the controller speaker quality is awful and a lot of games don't let you reroute it which is especially awful if using headphones

It has it in the mp and I turned it off almost immediately

The radar sound in Alien: Isolation and the audio logs in Killzone: Shadow Fall worked well, and added to the atmosphere.

geordiemp

oh? tell me all about it since your experiences with 'gyro' on Wii are analogous to that of those using gyro-assisted dual analog controls

You have no idea what you're talking about. There's absolutely nothing wrong with gyro aim assist as an option, it's genuinely better than just aiming with analog sticks alone, and the controller supports it. It should be an option.

Done Wii Wii+, Move and Kinect thanks and no thanks. Why should I want to tell you about it, done enough of it thanks as I am sure most veteran gamers have, relative gyro aiming is not as fun but hey, keep banging your gong lol.

Maybe when we get aiming like we used to have with my PS lightgun on Cathode ray tubes I would be excited to revisit, aiming systems need an absolute point of reference and has been a backward step since light guns.

A game balanced around dual stick is great and no need to change it.

Done Wii Wii+, Move and Kinect thanks and no thanks. Why should I want to tell you about it, don enough of it thanks.

Maybe when we get aiming like we used to have with my PS lightgun on Cathode ray tubes I would be excited to revisit.

None of those things you mentioned have anything to do with gyro assisted dual analog aiming at all. Wii isn't that. Wii Motion + isn't that. Move isn't that. Kinect isn't that. You're just taking the piss here, it really feels like you just don't know what you're talking about, and in your ignorance, you're equating gyro-assisted dual analog with more obtrusive, less useful implementations of motion control.

relative gyro aiming is not as fun but hey, keep banging your gong lol.

'relative gyro aiming'? You mean like in Skyward Sword? because that's not what gyro assist is either. Gyro assist literally just shifts your camera very slightly in the direction you motion in. It makes lining up headshots and nailing your target much more intuitive, natural, and quick than analog sticks alone allow for. If Splatoon/Splatoon 2 is genuinely the only example of this that you can imagine then I understand the confusion - Splatoon's gyro is pretty weird, although I prefer it if only because the aiming in Splatoon 2 w/analog sticks is pure garbage

Maybe when we get aiming like we used to have with my PS lightgun on Cathode ray tubes I would be excited to revisit, aiming systems need an absolute point of reference and has been a backward step since light guns.

That you believe this to be a relevant addition to your post has me questioning whether you're confusing gyro assist with something else, man.

A game balanced around dual stick is great and no need to change it.

You don't need to subvert dual stick controls to offer gyro assist. A game balanced around dual stick is great, but gyro assist is genuinely better, as you're given much more fine control over the position of your reticle at any given moment, and it should be an option as long as the hardware supports it.

I mean, that's the thing. I can use it with any game on PC and it's fine. Whereas the platform that that controller shipped with doesn't allow me to. It's no big issue but it's lame and I'd be more interested in playing specific genres on PS4 with gyro assist

Voltaran

Neo Member
The touchpad implementation in Warframe was excellent, you just had to swipe up,down, left, or right to use your character's different abilities. It worked so well I'm surprised other games haven't used it, especially RPGs. Could give you quick access to twice as many spells/abilities.

Vita Gyro aiming is the best shit ever as adjunct to analog free aiming.

For Golden Abyss. Such fine precision aiming on a handheld TPS. Like amazing. I wouldn't mind it in console shooters.

Conjo

Banned
Golden Abyss on Vita was filled with gimmicky stuff that got old real quick.

To be fair, that game is basically a tech demo so yeah it has a lot of forced stuff on it. I loved gyro aiming (and since I played it I've wanted more games to have it...), but fuck not being able to play in certain positions because otherwise Nate will always be leaning to a side when climbing.

*Splinter

Exactly this. I absolutely hate it when games try to shoe horn in controller features. When I'm playing a platformer I don't want to stop every five minutes to blow into my lap (Super Mario 3D World).

The speaker in the controller is the dumbest idea of all time (for single player games at least).

Paragon

Most of these sound like exactly the sort of 'gimmick' that makes people write off things like motion controls entirely.
The DS4 touchpad is not really positioned well enough to make it useful for much.
A lot of the suggestions here seem 'forced' to try and use it just because it's there.

- Had enough of gyro with Wii, been there done that no thanks, Gyro is best left for VR.
Pointer controls are not the same thing as gyro-assisted aiming.
Most people with a Steam Controller or DualShock 4 on PC seem to want gyro aiming supported everywhere.
Who would have thought that Nintendo would be ahead of everyone else for FPS/TPS controls in the console-space.
The DualShock 4 has the required hardware, but nothing seems to use it.
Why would anyone use gyro aiming?
The question should really be: "Why would anyone use analog sticks for aiming?"
Here's a very quick comparison I did in Wolfenstein: The New Order using a DualShock 4 on PC:
Not only is the analog stick much slower to turn (default sensitivity), you also have very little fine control and it likes to stick to cardinal directions instead of allowing fluid circular motions that matched my inputs.
Note: Ignore the label on those videos. The first block of text in my original post was an acrostic.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That stuff all sounds gimmicky and annoying to me, personally. I like when we get farther from launch-window games that feel the need to shove every little feature in for the sake of it, like the UC1 balancing and grenade throwing.

There wasn't Gyro aiming in the first uncharted. There was grenade lobbing which altered the arc. ANd it wasn't very good in the first place. Much of the DS3/Sixaxis gyro implementation didn't felt really good, i wonder if the gyro sony used wasn't too precise since gyro aiming got really good with Wii M+ onwards.
"

i think the speaker in a controller it's almost as good for feedback as the old excentrical mass vibration. It also provides a more limited yet real postional sound than using headphones. But i do agree that not working properly when the user has headphones is an important setback.

Wii, Wii U, DS4 games that implemented it well for simple sounds, like from a handheld object or tool, instead of going all out with complex stuff like music or conversations had very convincing uses.
2004: A trackpad can be more precise to aim than a thumbstick.

2006: Motion sensors can be more precise to aim than a thumbstick.

Most console controllers onwards incorporated motion sensors.

In 2014 Valve saw what it worked and releases an standard 2 handed controller that both has trackpads and motion sensors.

If you can aim better than with a thumbstick, why motion aiming should only be for VR?

None of those things you mentioned have anything to do with gyro assisted dual analog aiming at all. Wii isn't that. Wii Motion + isn't that. Move isn't that. Kinect isn't that. You're just taking the piss here, it really feels like you just don't know what you're talking about, and in your ignorance, you're equating gyro-assisted dual analog with more obtrusive, less useful implementations of motion control.
You don't need to subvert dual stick controls to offer gyro assist. A game balanced around dual stick is great, but gyro assist is genuinely better, as you're given much more fine control over the position of your reticle at any given moment, and it should be an option as long as the hardware supports it.
Actually some Wii games had a combination of thumbstick and a motion sensor to aim. For example, thwilight Princes Wii used the thumbstick to control the camera and the IR sensor for precise aiming.

Obviously there wont be dual analog examples since the Wii didn't have 2 thumbsticks with the Wii Remote/Nunchuck.

Print_Dog

Thought Infamous SS was basically the way to do it the worst. Way too gimmicky and finnicky and it didn't really add much. The sort of goofy handling only launch(ish) window titles have before they smarten up and realize it's more awkward than fun.
I was really impressed the first time SS made you use the dualshock as a spray paint can. Less is always more tho.

dr_rus

If optional then sure. Otherwise people would just through the gimmick word around again, as it already happened with Golden Abyss.

Lima

Because the one thing we need is more games making use of that extra shitty speaker in the controller that's drowned out by any kind of decent home theater at reference level volume.

Scribble on the touch pad? Such a small touch pad? With your finger? Another stupid idea nobody would use.

Why would you scroll down menus with the touch pad when you have an ANALOG STICK?

Rope? Not even gonna comment on that.

Rotate treasures? That seriously bothers you? Again: you have an ANALOG STICK.

I think I'm very happy you don't work at Naughty Dog.

Exactly my thoughts,unnecessary features

Top Bottom