• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorPain

If you had $400 to spend on a new system what would you buy?

a. Buy a PS3 Uncharted Bundle.
b. Buy a PS Vita 3g/wifi with Uncharted.

By the way I already own a Xbox 360 and had originally pre-ordered FEB bundle but then canceled right before it shipped.

I am undecided - Gaf please help me make a decision.

no_to_co

Sony is refusing to fix the smelly case! I wrote an email and also called customer service, even talked to a supervisor. Their answer: we do not deal with cases and there fore you should return the whole FEB to where you bought it. Since I already activated ATT on it and applied the screenprotector and I do not want to be without the PS Vita for a week, I guess I am keeping it and throwing the case away.

Sony, again, shows that they have the worst customer service in the industry. This would never happen with Nintendo or Apple!

IMACOMPUTA

By the way I already own a Xbox 360 and had originally pre-ordered FEB bundle but then canceled right before it shipped.

PS3 is at the end of its life.
Vita is the fuuuuutuuuuure.

I say sell the 360 and get both.

anddo0

Am guessing amazon is the best way to order the wifi/3g bundle right?

Amazon is a great place to start. I'd also look into Best Buy, or possibly Target for additional deals ($20 back etc...)

Virtua Tennis or Wipeout? I've never played either but both sound very fun.

Wipeout is fun, but difficult after the initial races. It's fun factor depends on your skill level. The game has eye-popping graphics, and an insane soundtrack.

I haven't tried VT4. but all I hear is good things about it. The graphics look great even via YT videos.

Zoibie

May have been posted already but here's The Guardian's review of Unit 13 (as well as Modnation and Everybody's Golf)

Unit 13 ★★★

Unit 13 isn't bad – it works, it doesn't suffer from glaring bugs and it proves that the PS Vita, uniquely among handheld consoles, can provide a platform for third-person (and, by extension, first-person) shooters. Nor is it in any way good. In fact, it speaks volumes about a rushed, truncated development period. Save your money, and wait until the PS Vita has been on sale for a while: then we should see some decent shooters for it.
Steve Boxer

Sony is refusing to fix the smelly case! I wrote an email and also called customer service, even talked to a supervisor. Their answer: we do not deal with cases and there fore you should return the whole FEB to where you bought it. Since I already activated ATT on it and applied the screenprotector and I do not want to be without the PS Vita for a week, I guess I am keeping it and throwing the case away.

Sony, again, shows that they have the worst customer service in the industry. This would never happen with Nintendo or Apple!

What would they do, send you an air freshener?

How much do you care about handheld gaming? Unless you don't see yourself using the Vita much at all and you're just getting caught up in the hype here I would say go with the Vita since you already own a 360.

frequency

Hopefully that will come in a future update. Forgot to ask you mate what games did you get? Be interested to hear your thoughts again as your one of the only gaffers that has come off the honeymoon period now.

It's a minor thing. It's just like, sometimes the bubbles don't fit with a wallpaper I'm using or something. But I'd much rather they fix the other issues I've mentioned with the system.

The only game I have right now is Hot Shots Golf.
I intend to pick up Lumines and Rayman over the weekend and Dynasty Warriors when that releases next week. I'll probably import Ragnarok Odyssey and Gravity Daze.

So I don't really have much opinion to share on games right now. Sorry. I have been playing a lot of HSG, even though I don't like golf. I think the last few days I've spent more time sitting around in the lobbies than actually playing though... It's just so cute... I've been spending all my points buying pieces to customize my lobby character. I'm so wasteful.

And I just wanted to say that even though I've been vocally negative on some missing/bad features of the Vita the last couple days, I'm still glad I bought it. It's still one of the better launches I've been a part of. There are major oversights with all consoles, so don't take my whining about saves and stuff as an "I hate Vita" thing.
As it stands, this and the 3DS were my major next gen launches (though I do still care about the PS4 and WiiU). And I'm generally happy with them both.
I will say that I'm happier with the Vita than I was with the PSP when that launched. The PSP ended up being my favourite console of maybe ever.

Amir0x

Banned
Where you been? I've been gaming online and haven't seen you on once ><

I haven't been online for a bunch of days anywhere at all until today - had a conflict with my internet provider re: a bill, and we just resolved it literal hours ago and I just got back from work this second so

Did you buy it?

I had to get it. It has Wipeout and Lumines, which is sort of zombie-gamer speak for "must...get...system."

Marco1

No doubts that the vita proves they still make beautiful looking hardware and I can't wait to see what PS4 looks like.
Once this little machine has netflix apps and a decent videostore it will be the first thing I take to bed at night. I really hope they allow us to play PS2 games from the store.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm really having a blast on this thing, currently addicted to Virtua Tennis.

How's the online? I'm talking myself on and off of the B2G1 free sale coming up. I want to pre-order newer games like LBP, RR, and Gravity Rush before buying more launch games >>

I haven't been online for a bunch of days anywhere at all until today - had a conflict with my internet provider re: a bill, and we just resolved it literal hours ago and I just got back from work this second so

I had to get it. It has Wipeout and Lumines, which is sort of zombie-gamer speak for "must...get...system."

Awesome and it is the real deal.

And Ridge Racer, the delay might help it out with more time to bake with potentially more content. I would hope Namco would be smart enough to not mess with us U.S. buyers

Ken

It's a minor thing. It's just like, sometimes the bubbles don't fit with a wallpaper I'm using or something. But I'd much rather they fix the other issues I've mentioned with the system.

I intend to pick up Lumines and Rayman over the weekend and Dynasty Warriors when that releases next week. I'll probably import Ragnarok Odyssey and Gravity Daze.

So I don't really have much opinion to share on games right now. Sorry. I have been playing a lot of HSG, even though I don't like golf. I think the last few days I've spent more time sitting around in the lobbies than actually playing though... It's just so cute... I've been spending all my points buying pieces to customize my lobby character. I'm so wasteful.

And I just wanted to say that even though I've been vocally negative on some missing/bad features of the Vita the last couple days, I'm still glad I bought it. It's still one of the better launches I've been a part of. There are major oversights with all consoles, so don't take my whining about saves and stuff as an "I hate Vita" thing.
As it stands, this and the 3DS were my major next gen launches (though I do still care about the PS4 and WiiU). And I'm generally happy with them both.
I will say that I'm happier with the Vita than I was with the PSP when that launched. The PSP ended up being my favourite console of maybe ever.
Yes, go import Gravity Daze. It's really fun :D

anddo0

Just how insanely good is Wipeout soundtrack exactly? I loved HD / Fury's.

Track list:

Anile – Change Of Direction (WipEout mix)
Camo+Krooked – Breezeblock (WipEout mix)
Deadmau5 – Some Chords (WipEout edit)
DirtyLoud – School Of Funk
DJ Fresh ft. Sian Evans – Louder (Drum Sound & Baseline Smith Mix)
Future Sound Of London – We Have Explosive (2011 rebuild) WipEout edit
Kraftwerk – Tour De France 2003 (WipEout edit)
Noisia – Regurgitate (WipEout 2048 Edit)
Orbital – P.E.T.R.O.L (Final Drop Mix)
Orbital – Beelzedub
Rockwell – BTKRSH (WipEout edit)
The Chemical Brothers – Electronic Battle Weapon 3
The Prodigy – Invaders Must Die (Liam H re-amped mix)
Underworld – Kittens (Will Saul & Tam Cooper Remix) &#65279;

Some amazing, heart pumping music. It's a rush playing Wipeout.

Just saw Giant Bomb's WipEout 2048 review. It's pretty disappointing to hear some of Jeff's complaints given that this is the only launch game I plan on buying (not because I wouldn't enjoy other ones but more because I'm trying to exercise some restraint) but our opinions often differ so hopefully I'll enjoy it more than he did.

The pieces of a tremendous Wipeout game are present in 2048, but it's hard to look past the game's annoying interface, wicked-long load screens, and underwhelming sense of speed.

This is BULLSHIT! I've played the demo and the sense of speed is amazing!! And look at this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf4E0EVzoGU

Just buy the game and have fun, WipEout 2048 = day one for me. ;)

Ikkarus

Quite a few developers made the claim that the PS3 was difficult to develop for have Sony made the Vita a lot easier in that respect? Sorry if it has been answered before but I am hoping it is which means the PS4 should be moving in that direction too with any luck.

I assume I need to keep the Friend's List App constantly active if I want to keep receiving updates when someone comes online.

Are there any other apps that gaffers keep open in the background all the time?

Salaadin

Have you tried cleaning it or Febreze-ing the shit out of it?

DMeisterJ

Banned
The PDP PS Vita crystal case is now available on Amazon, but it's sold by a third-party so it's sold for 30, but it's only 20 on the PDP website. Mine came today (quite quickly, I might add), but I'm waiting to unbox it with my PS Vita because I'm weird.

LiquidMetal14

I assume I need to keep the Friend's List App constantly active if I want to keep receiving updates when someone comes online.

No.

I would advise just opening that and the multi messaging apps and have them running at all times though as both go hand in hand. I usually them two, party chat, a game, and sometimes system or photos running or music on top of that. It's amazing and fast at multitasking.

Takao

Banned
Quite a few developers made the claim that the PS3 was difficult to develop for have Sony made the Vita a lot easier in that respect? Sorry if it has been answered before but I am hoping it is which means the PS4 should be moving in that direction too with any luck.

Yes, Vita is Sony's easiest platform to develop for. Indies who have only made iOS and PC games have been able to do stuff on Vita.

Wozzer

Anyone successfully purchased from PSN/SEN today? It's completely refusing all attempts at making a payment my end, and want to confirm if its their network or something my end.

Yes, Vita is Sony's easiest platform to develop for. Indies who have only made iOS and PC games have been able to do stuff on Vita.
Yeah, plus everything leading up to launch indicated that Sony really took developer's difficulties with the PS3 to heart when designing the Vita. It seems like it was one of their priorities, even.

Amir0x

Banned
I still am having a hard time believing my eyes playing even Wipeout in my hand on the go. Just fucking wow. The screen is just basically the sexiest sex thing of all time? Basically.

Marco1

I wouldn't worry, the vita shows that Sony have learned a lot from PS3.
It also shows that PS4 will follow the same path no doubt.

Chaplain

This is what I ordered on Wednesday:

1 x PS Vita USB Cable
1 x PS Vita Protective Film
1 x PS Vita Uncharted: Golden Abyss
1 x PS Vita 16GB Memory Card
1 x PS Vita Hardware Wi-Fi

RoylAsult

need a little advice as to what to do. I have a 25$ gift card to target and was planning on taking advantage of their B2G1 deal but ive run into a problem, Ridge Racer isnt a launch title anymore and the only other game i really want is VT4. so here is my situtuation.

i could get:

VT4, Army corps, and F1 2011 all for 55$

or

just get VT for 15$

Thing is i heard AC was meh and nothing to special which is why i feel like it will drop down in price quickly, F1 2011 i have heard nothing about and i have no idea how it plays or feels on the vita but 3 games for 55 is a very good deal but i dont want to buy them just for the sake of the deal. Every other game that i want i have, no those are the last 3 games on my list.

LiquidMetal14

Anyone successfully purchased from PSN/SEN today? It's completely refusing all attempts at making a payment my end, and want to confirm if its their network or something my end.

I had no issue getting something today. The store timed out on me once but other than that, nothing. I'm sure others have had things go on. I'm also sure we will see another FW update by next week so hopefully things will start coming together and getting fixed slowly but surely. Especially server side traffic.

I'M SURE THAT I'M SURE.

patsu

Also - I haven't been able to get Near to detect my location.

Using Rogers in Courtice (Oshawa-ish) - nada
Tried tethering on Fido in Markham - can't detect location

It's not working for me either. But I'm in a sort of small town.

WiFi Vita may encounter positioning issues if SkyHook doesn't have enough data points about the nearby hotspots.

Even though I have a 3G Vita, my first attempt also produced zero hit. Had to wait a few hours before it updated the radar chart. Perhaps my area was relatively new to the Near servers ? Would be interesting to find out how it all works (and whether we can hack it to insert our own presence on someone else's radar).

EDIT: Chubigans, do you need help with the Near thread ? It's not exactly an easy thing to explain or test. Let us know if you need people to cover some ground work.

r.gun

Neo Member

Some games that are online enabled (Wipeout, UMvC3, and HSG when in online mode) will connect you to the network and keep you connect so you will see all updates while in those games.

Strange thing, though, is that when you hit the PS button to check messages or friends lists, you get disconnected from the game servers I find.

Salaadin

A friend of mine hasnt been able to purchase all day long. He ended up buying PSN card codes from Gamestop.

The PDP PS Vita crystal case is now available on Amazon, but it's sold by a third-party so it's sold for 30, but it's only 20 on the PDP website. Mine came today (quite quickly, I might add), but I'm waiting to unbox it with my PS Vita because I'm weird.

For what its worth, Im actually unhappy with my Crystal Case. It just doesnt hold things very well and can actually pop open at the slightest fall. I havent been able to test it with a Vita yet (I get mine on Wednesday) but I dont think its built good enough to provide enough protection.

Oppo

I took a little tour of some local places that sell games in Toronto.

The Vita FEBs definitely sold out. No one has them.

Some were taking "pre orders" for the regular release on the 22nd.

Also, Best Buy and some of the other big retailers had a fairly substantial Vita presence. They had taken over several end caps, and had big Vita ads on the door scanners. Also big standees at EB Games and the like. Everyone has games, accessories and memory cards out already; they were everywhere.

I was a bit surprised actually. Seems Sony is actually going to launch the thing. :)

LiquidMetal14

Anyone else surprised at how bright the thing is even at a shade under 50%? It almost feels as bright as top level 3000/GO PSP's. Maybe it's DAT OLED at work. The screen is award worthy.

I find this post hilarious

VanWinkle

It would be great if some of you guys could add me to your friends list, since I don't know anybody that is for sure going to get a Vita. PSN ID is on my profile.

addyb

Thanks for replying buddy.

I'm getting everybody's golf (uk) and rayman at launch. I might pick up SSD and Escape plan as well. Really looking forward to Gravity Daze. I hear you about the oversights. The one thing that appears to bug me so far about the vita from what I've seen is the network disabling feature, ps3 users not seeing vita users online and no multi tasking with the browser.

My main issue I have with the 3DS is messaging. I hate having to close a game etc to enter the letterbox app.

My opinion differs a lot from his. It's pretty damn good if not as good as HD/Fury minus the tracks which are coming for free to me. FREE=WIN.

Awesome. Even more awesome if had co op enabled.

BLOG POST

Outside of the loading times, which are bearable for me, I absolutely love Wipeout. If you like Wipeout, you will like this game. If you don't, you won't.

It would be great if some of you guys could add me to your friends list, since I don't know anybody that is for sure going to get a Vita. PSN ID is on my profile.

If you wanna add me before I get to it feel free

PSN: MikeE21286

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom