• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's FY2013 Sales Plans for Major Package Titles

2.8m for MH4 seems to me a little conservative a forecast, I guess by the end of the year it will sell more that that, unless the game turned out to be awful.

It will be funny if Revelations sells better than RE6, I know it's not gonna happen but it's a potential 2k seller,

Remember Me and LP3 will bomb very hard, and that will be very sad specially for LP, because it's a good series plaged with bad choices.

Bruno MB

Previous forecast for Lost Planet 3 was 1.4 million and it was supposed to come out at the end of the fiscal year 2012.

Both Monster Hunter 4 and Resident Evil: Revelations should meet their respective forecasts. Things for Lost Planet 3 look quite grim although we shouldn't underestimate Capcom when it comes to channel stuffing.

Road

I'm sure MH4 and RER will achieve their combined 4 million goal, Capcom just messed up how sales will be divided:

3.5 million for MH4
0.5 million for RER

As for LP3 (1.2m), take a zero off of it (120k) and it'll be closer to the true sales to consumers (Capcom will probably managed to ship closer to a 1 million, they're good at shipping things).

Astery

Monster Hunter isn't as big as it's peak days with MHP2G and MH3P now in the east IMO. Fewer people buy a 3DS to play MH than it was to buy a PSP, and many people I know in Asia and Japan have dropped MH3PG on 3DS, buttons and stuff. There are also alot more MH clones/ alike such as God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden for people to choose over MH with better/ fresh graphics on the pre-existing fan base which Capcom had chosen to leaving behind.

Capcom had chosen to pursue new audiences, especially those in the west to expand the player base by launching new titles on 3DS and Wii which the results are good on their behalf, but they had lost quite a few of their existing base in the process in the Japan/ Asia region.

TL;DR? MH4 2.8mil in Japan is realistic, but not conservative at all.

Riposte

RE:R has the benefit of being on way more platforms than the original release did at least.

The game didn't bomb. The fact that ORC sold well doesn't mean anything, it was also a TPS, while Revelations is a traditional survival horror. And it's a one year old porting.

RE:R is a TPS. "Traditional survival horror" doesn't even mean anything unless you are talking about REmake or something.

Ryuuga

Banned
Okay so 3G in Japan has done about 1.8, P3rd did 4.5 in a little under a month and their sales forecast for MH4 is 2.8. That's interesting to say the least. I can't wait to see how this does compared to P3rd.

RE:R is a TPS. "Traditional survival horror" doesn't even mean anything unless you are talking about REmake or something.

ORC was targeted towards Call of Duty fanbase (it was stated by Capcom itself), it was more of a shooter than a survival horror; Revelations has its moments of fast-paced action, but it's not really close to RE5 and 6, let alone ORC.

Monster Hunter isn't as big as it's peak days with MHP2G and MH3P now in the east IMO. Fewer people buy a 3DS to play MH than it was to buy a PSP, and many people I know in Asia and Japan have dropped MH3PG on 3DS, buttons and stuff. There are also alot more MH clones/ alike such as God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden for people to choose over MH with better/ fresh graphics on the pre-existing fan base which Capcom had chosen to leaving behind.

Capcom had chosen to pursue new audiences, especially those in the west to expand the player base by launching new titles on 3DS and Wii which the results are good on their behalf, but they had lost quite a few of their existing base in the process in the Japan/ Asia region.

TL;DR? MH4 2.8mil in Japan is realistic, but not conservative at all.

MH3U sold 2 million in Japan and it's constantly charting. How do you know that less people are buying a 3DS for MH than PSP for MH back then? The peak of MHP3rd will be hard to reach, but that's true whatever platform they chose to begin with; I do think that even a MHP4th on PSP couldn't have repeated those numbers. MHP3rd sold around 4.5 million in its first release; MHP2ndG sold 2.5 in its full price release. MH4 could well sell around 3.2-3.5 mln in its first release, and then recoup 500-700k units with the budget version. It'd be very close to the peak and Capcom successfully shifted userbase over 3DS.

Okay so 3G in Japan has done about 1.8, P3rd did 4.5 in a little under a month and their sales forecast for MH4 is 2.8. That's interesting to say the least. I can't wait to see how this does compared to P3rd.

The PSP had an 18 million userbase, so I don't know why you would even try to compare the two right now. Maybe when it's all said and done. The attach ratio for MH4 sell what P3rd did right now would be insane.

Ryuuga

Banned
The PSP had an 18 million userbase, so I don't know why you would even try to compare the two right now.

Because then I'd be able to see just how much of monhun userbase made the jump along with the franchise. P3rd sold at a startling rate and many are of the opinion that wherever the franchise goes the fans would follow. Maybe like you said it'll show over time, but it was said back 3G released that the shift would be apparent leading up to MH4. In my opinion, there is no reason I shouldn't expect MH4 to sell at the same rate or even close to how PS3rd sold seeing that MH is primarily a handheld title, it's on the hardware with the fastest-growing userbase (in Japan) and it being the next mainline title in the franchise.

P3rd did 3.5m it's first month, 4.5m lifetime. The best reprint did about 300k on top of that.

3G did 1.6m lifetime, about 250k best but it's still doing decent numbers weekly.

Spiegel

The PSP had an 18 million userbase, so I don't know why you would even try to compare the two right now. Maybe when it's all said and done. The attach ratio for MH4 sell what P3rd did right now would be insane.

PSP was at 15.7M the week before MHP3 launched.

P3rd did 3.5m it's first month, 4.5m lifetime. The best reprint did about 300k on top of that.

3G did 1.6m lifetime, about 250k best but it's still doing decent numbers weekly.

300k (MH3G Best) now with Media-create.

Anyway 2.8m sounds like a decent but slightly conservative estimate. I still feel 3-3.5m is the ballpark for MH4. I think MHP3rd numbers are out of reach. We'll see.

Astery

MH3U sold 2 million in Japan and it's constantly charting. How do you know that less people are buying a 3DS for MH than PSP for MH back then? The peak of MHP3rd will be hard to reach, but that's true whatever platform they chose to begin with; I do think that even a MHP4th on PSP couldn't have repeated those numbers. MHP3rd sold around 4.5 million in its first release; MHP2ndG sold 2.5 in its full price release. MH4 could well sell around 3.2-3.5 mln in its first release, and then recoup 500-700k units with the budget version. It'd be very close to the peak and Capcom successfully shifted userbase over 3DS.

There's like everyone playing MHP2G and MHP3 on trains, buses, around convenient stores, and none when MHP3G released on 3DS, the social phenomenon just wasn't there anymore, and the success of MH was highly based off this phenomenon. It's a one shot thing like the Wii magic. May be it will get pick up in the west with 4, I don't know, time will tell.

serplux

There's like everyone playing MHP2G and MHP3 on trains, buses, around convenient stores, and none when MHP3G released on 3DS, the social phenomenon just wasn't there anymore, and the success of MH was highly based off this phenomenon. It's a one shot thing like the Wii magic. May be it will get pick up in the west with 4, I don't know, time will tell.

Monster Hunter 3G was an enhanced port of a game that over a million people already bought, on a system that had a userbase of under 3 million people. It was never going to sell as much as MHP2G or MHP3.

I'd like to remember that, in the end, Capcom called (surprisingly IMHO XD) Resident Evil: Revelations on 3DS a "moderate success". They said they were satisfied enough with its sales.
They were also satisfied with the sales of DmC, despite cutting the forecasts almost two times from 2.5 million to 1.2 million and still fell short of about 100k :p

I wouldn't take their word seriously for it, lol.

Are there numbers for the Wii U version?
Nope, since the Platinum chart is just million sellers.

They were also satisfied with the sales of DmC, despite cutting the forecasts almost two times from 2.5 million to 1.2 million and still fell short of about 100k :p

I wouldn't take their word seriously for it, lol.
Different sources for "they". IR was DmC sales, RER came from the producer iirc. IR tends to be shadier with these things, Dragon's Dogma being another example of a likely unprofitable title they were "pleased" with.

I think that a game selling 2.8-3mln units is still a phenomenon.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
About 2 weeks.

Yeah, it seems a pretty nice result. However, I think a little part of those 300k is for Japan/Asia too (I'd estimate around 50k). Still, nice and it saw shortages like the Wii U SKU in some European countries (we know about UK, but it seems Italy too saw some availability problems).

PSP was at 15.7M the week before MHP3 launched.

And the 3DS will still be 3 million behind by the time MH4 launches and it launched right into the holidays. I was saying I don't think it makes much sense to compare the first year of MH4 vs MHP3rd. In the end, if MH4 doesn't reach 4 million it will probably be a disappointment to Capcom coming off P3rd although at this point they've limited their options because they singlehandedly killed Vita off.

Anything below a 1.5 million opening week would be low.

Takao

Banned
RE:R and LP3 won't hit those numbers. MH4 has to intentionally be that low to make up for the other two putting up poor numbers, lol.

Alrus

MH4 seems too low. Unless the game spectacularly underperform, it has plenty of time before the end of the FY and it will probably beat that goal in its first month. Has Capcom opened pre-orders for the game yet by the way?

RE:R is too high, I don't see why some of you think it's a low prediction. Game is rather expensive and it has the handheld port stigma working against it. Well, at least this time Capcom won't botch the marketing I guess.

LP3's prediction is ridiculous. LP2 took massive price cuts to reach its goal (it was also massively overshipped) and this one looks even worse than its predecessor.

Basil

Banned
Welp, guess after Remember Me (Remember this one Capcom?) I won't have to worry about buying anymore Capcom games for the rest of the year.

Those three all look gash to be honest.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Seriously does Capcom Japan even know about Remember Me or did they enter a most ironic title contest or something?

RE:R and LP3 won't hit those numbers. MH4 has to intentionally be that low to make up for the other two putting up poor numbers, lol.

The Japanese sales for RE:R will be very telling. If they can pull off the type of numbers that NAMCO achieved when porting the Tales games to the PS3, then 1.2m will be easily achievable.

And the 3DS will still be 3 million behind by the time MH4 launches and it launched right into the holidays. I was saying I don't think it makes much sense to compare the first year of MH4 vs MHP3rd. In the end, if MH4 doesn't reach 4 million it will probably be a disappointment to Capcom coming off P3rd although at this point they've limited their options because they singlehandedly killed Vita off.

Anything below a 1.5 million opening week would be low.
They didn't singlehandedly kill Vita. The PSP received major support from many 3rd parties even prior to the MH craze such as exclusive FF and MGS titles. Third parties in general just decided it wasn't worth it.

Also if MH4 underperforms, I wouldn't say it was because they didn't release it on a Sony platform. Sales as large as MHP3 come from way more than just the Sony faithful unless you think the Otakus will make the difference between 2.8 M and 5M in sales.

Anyway, I think this will be the definint moment of whether MH was just a fad or if its a Mario/Pokemon/DQ level franchise. Given MH3G's sales and legs, I'd say its the latter.

sublimit

Banned
How those projections are being calculated?Are they based on a game's development and marketing budget?

Top Bottom