• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plastic Scale Modeling Age |OT| Planes, tanks, cars, sci-fi & more

l2ounD

Whoa, first time looking through this thread. Awesome stuff!

EyyzZLVl.jpg

Wace

I'm ashamed of myself for lack of quality with everything I do, but, still, as all the popularity-hungry net dwellers, I share awful results of my awful work. My apologies to ll the people who can and do things right. Throw stones, I deserve it.

dscn54887rx9j.jpg

From left to right:
  • Su-2 M-82 (Summer 210 Bomber Regiment camo)
    Zvezda
  • PBY-5A Catalina (Soviet Pacific Fleet camo)
    Revell
  • Yak-3 (Normandie-Niémen Regiment 1943 camo)
    Zvezda
  • U-2/Po-2 (Winter War camo)
    ICM
  • I-16 Type 18 (Battle for Stalingrad camo)
    ARK Model (48010)

If anybody is interested in closeup (it's ugly) of any of the models - let me know.

Working on ARK's Hurricane Mk.I and Tamiya's A6M3 right now.

Looks pretty cool! Having done lots of photoetch work on my Enterprise I know how tricky metal can be. Must've taken a lot of work.

For something simple like a T-34 or other WW2 tank I'd just build it and then worry about painting. That's how I usually work with armour. Here's a T-14 Armata I'm currently building. It'll attach the sideskirts and a few fiddly bits after painting, but everything else is glued on.

Edit: I bought "extra thin" glue, but now I'm realizing I probably should have grabbed the regular stuff...

Watch a few videos from Andy's Hobby HQ, he pretty much does the same thing with some pretty good results. I also did the same on a Fury I did a while back.

This is why I don't really enjoy aircraft that much, there's way too much pre-painting and fiddling around for my liking. :p

Fair enough! So to get started, then, would I be good-to-go with just the tank itself, a Tamiya toolkit, and some glue?

Fair enough! So to get started, then, would I be good-to-go with just the tank itself, a Tamiya toolkit, and some glue?

Yep, definitely. Tamiya models are a good place to start since they strike a good balance between complexity and simplicity.

Some glue, small side cutters and a hobby knife are the essentials, everything else just makes your life a bit easier, such as sandpaper, tweezers, masking tape etc.

If anybody is interested in closeup (it's ugly) of any of the models - let me know.

I'm interested! And no model is perfect, don't worry too much about that.

BearChair

GNOR

6By1

LYeO

I wanted to share my latest model build. It's my first time experimenting with weathering, and I'm not sure how it turned out.

My thought process was that I wanted to build a robot that looked like it has been in the forest and had seen some stuff Conceivably there should be more weathering on the legs and arms IMHO.

One somewhat before weathering

vcpM

I wanted to share my latest model build. It's my first time experimenting with weathering, and I'm not sure how it turned out.

My thought process was that I wanted to build a robot that looked like it has been in the forest and had seen some stuff Conceivably there should be more weathering on the legs and arms IMHO.

One somewhat before weathering

Looks pretty cool! What sort of weathering did you apply, just a wash? You could also try a few scratch marks and other sharper lines of wear and tear to make it look like it's been pushing its way through trees.

My last build, added a black series Jango Fett head to the Bandai Clone Trooper:

tumblr_orb7dvcDJ91sar356o1_1280.jpg

This looks great. I really like the weathering.

Wow, that looks great! Although, is the helmet out of proportion or is that done on purpose? It seems a bit large compared to the rest.

Thanks guys! The weathering is the most enjoyable part lol. Yeah the helmet does appear a bit big, it's a common complaint about this kit. For some reason it looks worse in photos, but looking at him on my shelf he looks fine.

Most 1/100 MG Gundam kits have pilots.
Thanks, yeah I have loads of Gundams but even being away a year im still mostly caught up on new releases.

I only ask because im really expanding my 1:100 collection and need/want every different human I can get in the scale.
(probably ordered 7+ packs of train set humans)

It started out and I was satisfied just having a Heero Yuy to go with his Gundam,
now im getting ground crew and crazy customs of other characters that fit the theme (Evangelion, Muv-luv, Blue Steel, etc) about to start working on 1:100 buildings, etc

The 1/100 Tieren Ground Type comes with 3 people. One pilot who is molded to sit up, partially out of the cockpit, wearing a visor. And two standing/walking soldiers with guns.

The 1/100 Tieren Ground Type comes with 3 people. One pilot who is molded to sit up, partially out of the cockpit, wearing a visor. And two standing/walking soldiers with guns.

Oh man thats exactly the stuff I need more of, actual soldiers with weapons aren't very common in that scale.
I think the Metal Gear sets are the only ones I have with them.

wonder how I missed that kit browsing HobbySearch?

Thanks.

the_standard

Neo Member
What model glue do you reccomend for a plastic styrene aircraft model, (back in the 2000'a I used to make lots of vinyl kits with Zap a Gap), doesn't seem like its around anymore. Advice pleas.

Thanks!

What model glue do you reccomend for a plastic styrene aircraft model, (back in the 2000'a I used to make lots of vinyl kits with Zap a Gap), doesn't seem like its around anymore. Advice pleas.

Thanks!

I use this for all my styrene gluing needs. It dries quick and doesn't make any mess.

17273-300087038.jpg

It can take a bit of getting used to if you've only used thick or tube glue. Instead of placing a blob of glue on each part, place the two pieces together and run the brush along the join. The glue is so thin that the capillary action will suck the glue right up into the gap, minimising the amount you need and any potential mess it might cause.

For large pieces that need a bit of structural strength you might want to go back to using blobs of tube glue though, but for 99.99% of the time I use Extra Thin.

Thanks!

Just a general tip for anyone getting model adhesives, if you are buying from a slow model shop or craft store make sure that stuff isn't 100years old.

Few weeks ago I bought 3 things of liquid cement at like $10 each from a hole-in-the-wall model shop that never has any customers.
Turns out it was over 10years old and doesn't do anything.

Has anyone got a collection of the Revell Star Wars kits? (Not the Pocket or easy/snap kits, the fairly small scale ones). I'd like to see what they all look like together if possible, it seems there all completely different scales. I have the Tie fighter that's 1:110, Vader's Tie fighter that's 1:121 and the Snowspeeder that's 1:52. There's a few others i don't have like a Naboo Starfigher, ARC-170, Tie Interceptor, Millennium Falcon, X-wing and Slave one, and i'm thinking of getting them all eventually but i have no idea what they'd look like together considering they're all different scales. Seems a bit strange that they'd be such different scales....

Not sure if this is the right sort of place to ask but i don't know where else it could go...does anyone know what sort of price those "Metal Earth" kits usually go for? I've just had a look into them and it seems retailers usually sell them for around £6+ here...but then on Ebay there's lots at under £2 and with free postage. Is there a reason those would be so cheap there and not elsewhere? Are they different or fake or something?

I have no idea if i'm missing something with them. Some do have fairly vague names like "3D Metal Model Puzzle" but i don't know if that makes much difference.

Edit: Had a look into it a bit more, seems they'd definitely be fakes.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
In the past I made alot of Papercraft. Now bought my first plastic model. It's a mech called Destroid Defender and it's about the same as the Rifleman in Mechwarrior. Something to do for the holidays. I'm thinking of using this rust effect because it's cheap and removable, and I'm a beginner.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm looking at a new hobby and I've been drawn to historical models, mostly WW2 battleships and tanks.

From what I've seen so far, Tamiya look like they make some amazing kits. Their kits look a lot better quality than the Airfix kits anyway.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Holy crap. Those look so nice, almost like real Metal Earth models.

Fully printed?! :eek:
I used silver filament for the hulk so they do have that look.

I get these from a guy (https://www.printables.com/@Martin/activity/3695) who makes AWESOME ship models for Star Ttek and especially The Expanse. He designs them to snap together without glue. My lowley ender max can't print well enough for that so I mostly glue mine but I'm learning a lot from resizing stuff and trying to print large and very small parts.

Top Bottom