• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 2, 2015

ColdRose

I keep asking this question in different (related) threads re: Dragon Age and not getting an answer so I'll try again. On the GFK chart track website, where GAF gets PAL numbers from, DAI is listed as number 19 on the all format list (up from 21 last week). Here's the link:

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

This is over a month after release, with poor marketing, limited numbers in shops, competing against much bigger titles some of which have been bundled. I get that it isn't appearing on individual formats lists, but does that really mean DA has bombed?

I have a personal bias here in that I like the DA games, so I'd obviously like to see another one and it would be a shame if that didn't happen, for me anyway :/

Daviii

Final Score

Driveclub 1 - 0 Overly pretentious pseudo-intellectual reviewers which have no fucking clue what the fuck having fun is

Hasney

I keep asking this question in different (related) threads re: Dragon Age and not getting an answer so I'll try again. On the GFK chart track website, where GAF gets PAL numbers from, DAI is listed as number 19 on the all format list (up from 21 last week). Here's the link:

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

This is over a month after release, with poor marketing, limited numbers in shops, competing against much bigger titles some of which have been bundled. I get that it isn't appearing on individual formats lists, but does that really mean DA has bombed?

I have a personal bias here in that I like the DA games, so I'd obviously like to see another one and it would be a shame if that didn't happen, for me anyway :/

It does. The numbers outside the top 10, even on the single format charts, are small. Right now, I'd be willing to bet that outside the top 5 is pretty damn small. If there's not a single SKU in those and the combined sales of 5 formats get it only up to 19, then yikes.

Final Score

Driveclub 1 - 0 Overly pretentious pseudo-intellectual reviewers which have no fucking clue what the fuck having fun is

Yeah, fuck those guys
and my opinion, I really can't get into it and went back to GT6
opinions!! You sure showed them!!

ColdRose

It does. The numbers outside the top 10, even on the single format charts, are small. Right now, I'd be willing to bet that outside the top 5 is pretty damn small. If there's not a single SKU in those and the combined sales of 5 formats get it only up to 19, then yikes.

Yeah, fuck those guys
and my, I really can't get into it and went back to GT6
opinions!! You sure showed them!!

Well. Bugger :( At least it's charting in New Zealand on the individual formats (PC, One and PS4) and in Australia on One and PC. I guess. :/ Thanks for the info, at least I got my question answered.

Hasney

Well. Bugger :( At least it's charting in New Zealand on the individual formats (PC, One and PS4) and in Australia on One and PC. I guess. :/ Thanks for the info, at least I got my question answered.

Yeah, it is a real shame, but the existence of DA2 and EA failing to acknowledge it exists is pretty bad.

ColdRose

Yeah, it is a real shame, but the existence of DA2 and EA failing to acknowledge it exists is pretty bad.

It's true, I can't believe how little marketing I've seen. Nothing on tv, no big ads anywhere - what marketing I have seen seems to have been done by Bioware itself (youtube vids, fan competitions, various things on twitter) rather than EA. Mind you, given how they misrepresented DA2 (awesome button, ugh), that might not be such a bad thing :/ There don't seem to be a huge number of copies of DAI knocking about either.

Tenebrous

You know you're losing interest in AAA games when you can look at that list of forty and maybe want to own three of them...

And two of those are GTA V.
Already own Smash & Pokemon.

Good to see Smash still holding a position.

Hasney

Aaaaaaand physical copy discounted!

A lot of people have been enjoying Driveclub, so I think that was a great save by SCEE to bundle the shit out of it and discount it. Then those who got it can talk to their friends if they enjoyed it and the combination of it now being £20 means they'll pick it up.

Then when you look at the NPDs and the insight at the end of November was that even Bayonetta 2 was outselling it.

CozMick

Banned
I absolutely love sales threads but for me their accuracy is twindling in regards to digital sales.

The last time I bought a physical copy of a game was Infamous 2 on ps3 (not including the bundled copy of killzone shadowfall at launch which since then has been sold and rebought on the psn store)

Sure I don't count as the majority but the amount of digital only buyers must be increasing.

Hasney

I absolutely love sales threads but for me their accuracy is twindling in regards to digital sales.

The last time I bought a physical copy of a game was Infamous 2 on ps3 (not including the bundled copy of killzone shadowfall at launch which since then has been sold and rebought on the psn store)

Sure I don't count as the majority but the amount of digital only buyers must be increasing.

It's likely that it's still proportional though.

Hell, if you wanted to get technical, I barely even buy games from the UK PSN store at all and it all goes to the US.

I'm assuming you buy from US PSN then, because here in the UK we get utterly fucked over digital pricing, and I get the impression that much of Europe is the same.

CozMick

Banned
It's likely that it's still proportional though.

Hell, if you wanted to get technical, I barely even buy games from the UK PSN store at all and it all goes to the US.

Oh, no question the amount of games sold at retail dwarfs the digital "revolution" but when games like Driveclub (and the upcoming The Witcher 3) are cheaper to buy digitally you've certainly gotta question the accuracy of sales as a whole.

On another note, does anyone have any idea if games sold digitally in GAME are tracked in these charts (including bundled digital codes)?

I'm assuming you buy from US PSN then, because here in the UK we get utterly fucked over digital pricing, and I get the impression that much of Europe is the same.

Sadly no, all from the UK store.........all 3000+ items in my download list :/

Umm, wtf? Joke post?
Definitely not. When I sold mine on Gumtree there were over 100 search hits for London alone. CEX also seems to be overflowing with copies as well. The Amazon trade in price for "like new" has dropped to £10 as well which is terrible for a recent title.

CozMick

Banned
Definitely not. When I sold mine on Gumtree there were over 100 search hits for London alone. CEX also seems to be overflowing with copies as well. The Amazon trade in price for "like new" has dropped to £10 as well which is terrible for a recent title.

What has this got to do with anything?

The biggest critically acclaimed game this gen, the last of us has hundreds of pre-owned copies in my local cex (a guesstimate based on walking in the store) as does Destiny, Forza Horizon 2, Advanced warfare,

iceatcs

Very bombed. Outside top 5 are nothing to write about. Something it can be under 10,000 units and still in top 10. Cos it is weekly uk chart.

In the all formats in 2014-2015 for the UK its been 5th, 14th, 20th, 14th, 15th, 18th, 19th and 17th this week. So 8 weeks for DA I in the UK top 20 since launch.

While not a sales juggernaut people here are buying it. In Nov NPD it didn't even chart, there's myth it didn't even chart for the UK. I know you're not stating that though.

Problem with the charts the OP posts is it repeats games and console bundles (UK has many retail bundles) and used to sort out PS4vsXB1. All formats is more like the NPD and shows more variety, we wouldn't have week after week of "where's Dragon Age" .

Anyway sales across the EU and US DAI seem poor or at least mixed over the platforms and didn't hit hard on the PS4 or XB1. We still wait to see if it charted in the US in Dec, I doubt it.

Moonstone

BIU Sales award December:

>500k (Multiplatform)
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Activision / Sledgehammer Games)
>200k
Assassin’s Creed Unity (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal) für die Plattform PlayStation 4
Far Cry 4 (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal) für die Plattform PlayStation 4
Minecraft (Mojang / 4J Studios) für die Plattform PlayStation 3
>100k
Drive Club (Sony / Evolution Studios) für die Plattform PlayStation 4 (inkl. Digitalverkäufe)
Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.) für die Plattform Wii U
The Evil Within (Bethesda Softworks / Tango Gameworks) für die Plattform PlaySation 4

Drive Club is digital + retail - Sony reported the digital sales.

Bruno MB

FScg6.png

Spain:
December 2014 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (__) WII JUST DANCE 2015 (UBISOFT)
02 (04) PS3 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (01) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
04 (__) PS3 FAR CRY 4 - LIMITED EDITION (UBISOFT)
05 (05) 3DS POKÉMON OMEGA RUBY (NINTENDO)
06 (10) PS4 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (06) 3DS POKÉMON ALPHA SAPPHIRE (NINTENDO)
08 (__) 3DS SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR NINTENDO 3DS (NINTENDO)
09 (__) PS3 MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
10 (__) PSV MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION VITA EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)

Some surprising things.

Just Dance still has it, I had never expected it would top the December chart. Both Wii and Just Dance series refuse to die. Will it still chart next year?

There is only one PS4 game, and what am I seeing? a PS Vita game?

Phamit

>500k (Multiplatform)
>200k
Assassin’s Creed Unity (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal) für die Plattform PlayStation 4
>100k
Drive Club (Sony / Evolution Studios) für die Plattform PlayStation 4 (inkl. Digitalverkäufe)
The Evil Within (Bethesda Softworks / Tango Gameworks) für die Plattform PlaySation 4

Nice, very good Numbers for Smash

Derpyduck

Banned
driveclub showing the losers how it's done

Not sure giving their games away would turn the losers into winners.

Also, not sure how happy Microsoft can be that when someone in the UK wants to buy an Xbox One from Amazon in the UK, they're met with this.

I'm all for choices, but there's a point you reach where you're just confusing the hell out of the customer.

>500k (Multiplatform)
>200k
>100k

Driveclub sold over 100k units just in Germany, just in December?! Holy shit, that is tons. EDIT - ah okay, that's LTD.

Hasney

Also, not sure how happy Microsoft can be that when someone in the UK wants to buy an Xbox One from Amazon in the UK, they're met with this.

I'm all for choices, but there's a point you reach where you're just confusing the hell out of the customer.

Tablet pack? The fuck?

Facism

I really expected Dragon Age to do a lot better. It's the first real fantasy game released on this generation of hardware and it's got great reviews. It's a deeply flawed game but that has never stopped mediocre games from selling in the past. Really surprised about that, tbh.

i'm hoping the weak sales puts a stop to all the weak MMO and mobile game bullshit in Biowares future games.

I've never gone from loving a game to being so completely fucking bored and insulted by it like i did with Inquisition.

Vasili2K38

FScg6.png

Spain:
December 2014 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (__) WII JUST DANCE 2015 (UBISOFT)
02 (04) PS3 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (01) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
04 (__) PS3 FAR CRY 4 - LIMITED EDITION (UBISOFT)
05 (05) 3DS POKÉMON OMEGA RUBY (NINTENDO)
06 (10) PS4 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (06) 3DS POKÉMON ALPHA SAPPHIRE (NINTENDO)
08 (__) 3DS SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR NINTENDO 3DS (NINTENDO)
09 (__) PS3 MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
10 (__) PSV MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION VITA EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)

Some surprising things.

Just Dance still has it, I had never expected it would top the December chart. Both Wii and Just Dance series refuse to die. Will it still chart next year?

There is only one PS4 game, and what am I seeing? a PS Vita game?

I think with the economic crisis only the people who are really interested in current gen games has upgraded to PS4/XBOne, and it will be anecdotal evidence, but I know a shitton of kids with Vitas who play exclusively Minecraft.

What has this got to do with anything?

The biggest critically acclaimed game this gen, the last of us has hundreds of pre-owned copies in my local cex (a guesstimate based on walking in the store) as does Destiny, Forza Horizon 2, Advanced warfare,

I don't know how true that is.

TLoU also has 770 copies in all CEX stores, compared to 1100 for DC, which is down from 2300 from before Christmas, which is due to them being the cheapest place to buy it from until the recent drops to £20.

You should check their website, it's actually surprisingly accurate in how much stock they have across all their stores.

Pezus

In the all formats in 2014-2015 for the UK its been 5th, 14th, 20th, 14th, 15th, 18th, 19th and 17th this week. So 8 weeks for DA I in the UK top 20 since launch.

While not a sales juggernaut people here are buying it. In Nov NPD it didn't even chart, there's myth it didn't even chart for the UK. I know you're not stating that though.

Anyway sales across the EU and US DAI seem poor or at least mixed over the platforms and didn't hit hard on the PS4 or XB1. We still wait to see if it charted in the US in Dec, I doubt it.

Dragon Age was #11 in the US in November. 1 place from the top 10, and a dev who posted that on gaf implied they were happy with the sales.

Not as many, especially with those AC and MCC bundles doing work. it was hard to try and find a bundle without Driveclub.

I think Argos and Game had copies with instore bundles, but most of the bundles available online didn't have it. Try and find a bundled copy on Amazon for instance (apart from the actual bundle).

Someone has to be buying those second hand copies from CeX. The price cut doesn't seem to have made it in store in a lot of places, it still seems to be £50+ physical in shops.

Kill3r7

Dragon Age was #11 in the US in November. 1 place from the top 10, and a dev who posted that on gaf implied they were happy with the sales.

Ditto.

DA:I is doing fine when compared to the previous two releases in the franchise. The fact is most RPGs are not sale juggernauts (sans Skyrim or Pokemon). There is a misconception amongst us, gamers, that RPGs are huge sellers but that's not the case (at least in the US or UK).

Even if Driveclub is heavily bundled, I'm glad it is making its way into people's hands one way or another. Great game.

Bundles are finished, finished last week as it happens. Current chart position is likely down to the £20 price point from Shopto and Amazon. (which has also now expired)

MS can not be pleased with Sunset Overdrives performance.

Also its sad to see the performance of Dragon Age in the UK, I think its a great game, but its just not found an audience. DA2 maybe did the series quite a bit of damage.
How does Insomniac feel about Sunset Overdrive's performance given they own the IP and the whole point of going with MS is that they get to own their own IP? Was there enough marketing? Should it have been more aggressively bundled? Or is this the byproduct of going with the xbone?

How does Insomniac feel about Sunset Overdrive's performance given they own the IP and the whole point of going with MS is that they get to own their own IP? Was there enough marketing? Should it have been more aggressively bundled? Or is this the byproduct of going with the xbone?

Sunset had plenty of marketing. Rivalled that of CoD/FIFA.

It just didn't resonate with the market I guess, which is a damn shame. One of the best releases of 2014. Maybe it'll do much better when it hits £20 from the likes of Amazon/Shopto?

So MS never won an NPD last year then because they gave so much away? And Titanfall flopped, because they gave that away as well? And SO? Didn't they give that away as well?

A sale is a sale, whether it's with a console, or discounted to half price.

Top Bottom