• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a fantasy setting, Westoros isn't that great

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy game of thrones a lot. I think it's pretty rad. But the setting has never really clicked for me.

I'm a huge fan of fantasy world's and fantasy history. I'm a sucker for lore, providing the lore is interesting. That's why I love Lord of the Rings, Ivalice, Dungeons and Dragons, and Universal Century Gundam.

There are certainly things does well. Character relationships, politicking, etc. But as a setting it just seems that the world itself is fairly generic.

Keep in mind, I'm a tv viewer. Maybe the books handle this better.

Edit: wrong forum

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
It's generic, yeah. Westeros isnt the reason why the show or the books are popular.

You should check out Stormlight Archives. Roshar is the name of the continent the series takes place and it's one of the most uniques fantasy settings I've seen. Basically imagine the ocean floor without water.

There are no elves, dwarves or orcs. Nor dragons or the typical fantasy creatures you find in fantasy novels. Flora and fauna are directly influenced from marine organisms. The concept of sprens and how they manifest in the world via emotions, elements etc... is unique and adds a lot to world's imagery. Plus the races arent your typical white caucassian europeans. The Alethi, probably the main race in the series, are a mixed of asians with tan skin.

Honestly the world itself in the series feels like a character, and not just a backdrop the characters interact in.

Top Bottom