• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Dio

Banned
The composer of Silver Will, Wataru Ishibashi.

At least he made one of the all-time great battle themes before passing away.

You actually made me google Ryo Yonemitsu to check to see if he was still alive (my personal favorite Falcom musician.)

Yep, he is. He's not even that old, he's in his fifties. Some people just stop making music, I guess - even though he was lauded as being as great as Uematsu, who is a year younger than him, he decided to stop.

I can't believe Wataru Ishibashi passed away at 39.

You actually made me google Ryo Yonemitsu to check to see if he was still alive (my personal favorite Falcom musician.)

Yep, he is. He's not even that old, he's in his fifties. Some people just stop making music, I guess - even though he was lauded as being as great as Uematsu, who is a year younger than him, he decided to stop.
Yonemitsu's did video game arrangements for a few SuperSweep-released albums, actually, though I doubt he'll do anything with Falcom in the near-future.

How many people do you think have passed away waiting for Second Chapter to release?

I'm glad I'm not the only person that's considered this actually. Nice to know I'm not the only one looking into this with a bit of a grim side :p ... :/

Dio

Banned
Yonemitsu's did video game arrangements for a few SuperSweep-released albums, actually, though I doubt he'll do anything with Falcom in the near-future.

Actually, I think I wanna change my answer. Ryo Yonemitsu did some of my favorite arrangements ever, but Yuzo Koshiro's work with Falcom really cemented how much I love the guy. He's appeared on most of my favorite game soundtracks. Streets of Rage 2, Actraiser, Etrian Odyssey, etc.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that's considered this actually. Nice to know I'm not the only one looking into this with a bit of a grim side :p ... :/

I think about that kind of thing whenever any long awaited anything finally comes to pass. It's a pretty common thought, really, it's just something that most people don't like bringing up, lol

Oh god damn. I legitimately did not know this and somehow missed it happening last year. And this stings because I largely love his Trails work.

RIP, Ishibashi-san. :( I honestly hope we can help more people appreciate his work.

Actually, I think I wanna change my answer. Ryo Yonemitsu did some of my favorite arrangements ever, but Yuzo Koshiro's work with Falcom really cemented how much I love the guy. He's appeared on most of my favorite game soundtracks. Streets of Rage 2, Actraiser, Etrian Odyssey, etc.

If he hasn't already, I'd love for Koshiro to help with a Trails title or two. His Etrian work is some of the best game music I've ever listened to.

Very soon we shall see the triumphant return of "This Bitch Can't Be Serious" Estelle, along with her lesser known relative, Smug Estelle.

115-Estelle6.png

42-Estelle21.png

Phenomic

Well since its been 4 years I have no clue where my Trails save file is on PSP and before I turn my house upside down for a small green chip card I figured I'd just make sure nobody knows where to find one here or might have a good one themselves they can post?

Dio

Banned
Very soon we shall see the triumphant return of "This Bitch Can't Be Serious" Estelle, along with her lesser known relative, Smug Estelle.

115-Estelle6.png

42-Estelle21.png

Is it petty of me to be glad that XSEED didn't change the portrait art for FC/SC PC to this shit from Trails in the Sky FC Evolution? Some of the FC Evo music tracks are worse than the original, too. I don't want that version.

Even though I had been waiting for years for this to release, I'm not ready! lol I had to replay FC before SC came out, but time just kind of got away from me. I can't remember some of the story... :(

For the sake of $3? If you're a fan of the first one just buy it, if you're not, don't. Don't see what difference $3 makes

It's not for a sake of 3 dollars. Any amount of a sale may or not be there in the future, so if there's one now, I'll buy it. On the other hand, if I'm not going to play it, the odds are then greater that one day when I'm ready to, there will be an even greater sale, see?

epmode

115-Estelle6.png

42-Estelle21.png

Goddamn I love Estelle.

I feel like this may be a bit old/obscure but Estelle really reminds me of Sana from Kodomo no Omocha.

Is it petty of me to be glad that XSEED didn't change the portrait art for FC/SC PC to this shit from Trails in the Sky FC Evolution?

That updated art is pretty lousy. There's no comparison.

Hubb

Is it petty of me to be glad that XSEED didn't change the portrait art for FC/SC PC to this shit from Trails in the Sky FC Evolution? Some of the FC Evo music tracks are worse than the original, too. I don't want that version.

Having an option would have been the best, some prefer the old and I am sure some prefer the new. Old works for me, but I'm not as against the new art as you are either.

I don't like the Evo portraits very much, so I'm definitely glad we have the original art.

Durante

Estelle really is great. She has some fantastic lines.

Anyway, earlier in the thread I said I thought I was on track for completing FC today.

Then this guy happened (FC end-game spoiler):
251150_2015-10-28_0003hp39.jpg
Holy crap that was a hard fight. I wasn't particularly high level (31-32), and some of my best items
were with the other party
. I had to give it 5 or 6 tries, with a lot of equipment, orbment and strategy reshuffling, before I managed to finally maneuver the battle to a winning position:
251150_2015-10-28_000iuojq.jpg

But then I got to
what I presume to be the final dungeon, which seems to be twice as long as any other dungeon in the game. Of course, compared to the above all the battles seem pretty trivial now.
In any case, not today. But I can't be far off now can I?

between this and isaac this will be a fantastic weekend. I'm going to get pizza and wine and wrap myself in a blanket and not leave the couch.

Yeah, I'm going to have to work real hard to resist ignoring pets/sleep for this.

I'm working long hours lately so they are so lonely by the time I get in evenings as is.

Oh wow. RIP

I don't really note of soundteam_JDK much past the early years of Ishikawa, Koshiro, and Yonemitsu (maybe it's the team designation?) but this reminds me all too much of Pokrovsky's passing earlier this year: get involved with an outstanding VGM composer only for a tragic death to take them soon after.

Yeah, and I keep hearing that the FC/SC/TC artist is "rough" or "decent" yet they have such a way with expressions and posing, especially compared with some later artists who try their hand at these characters or later Falcom ones. Odd criteria people have.

krYlon

Estelle's facial expressions were one of my favourite things about FC. The artist is fantastic at conveying emotion.

Bashful 3 always cracks me up.

Dio

Banned
Yeah, and I keep hearing that the FC/SC/TC artist is "rough" or "decent" yet they have such a way with expressions and posing, especially compared with some later artists who try their hand at these characters or later Falcom ones. Odd criteria people have.

The thing that irritated me the most is that one particular scene [minor FC end spoiler]
Joshua's face at the end scene
was messed up in Trails FC Evolution. I actually went and watched that Evo sequence on Youtube and they didn't even change it to a
facial sprite I'd never seen before in the entire game before that point which added extra impact
it just stayed the same damn thing the entire time. It's really, really minor but I thought the omission of that really hurt for some reason.

krYlon

The thing that irritated me the most is that one particular scene [minor FC end spoiler]
Joshua's face at the end scene
was messed up in Trails FC Evolution. I actually went and watched that Evo sequence on Youtube and they didn't even change it to a
facial sprite I'd never seen before in the entire game before that point which added extra impact
it just stayed the same damn thing the entire time. It's really, really minor but I thought the omission of that really hurt for some reason.

That face was really really striking in FC. I can understand that being a major omission.

Eusis

Nah. While it's better than the anime's style I think there's something of a classic charm to the original artwork. As posted above some consider it "rough" or "decent" but I think in a way that's mainly it not being in line with a more modern anime look, and at least for Trails in the Sky I think it's better off for it.

At least it's not like Star Ocean 2, though I think in both cases what Trails in the Sky got was way better anyway.

Tenebrous

Am I right in thinking SC completes the story, and the third installment is just a little bit extra?

Estelle really is great. She has some fantastic lines.

Anyway, earlier in the thread I said I thought I was on track for completing FC today.

Then this guy happened (FC end-game spoiler):

Holy crap that was a hard fight. I wasn't particularly high level (31-32), and some of my best items
were with the other party
. I had to give it 5 or 6 tries, with a lot of equipment, orbment and strategy reshuffling, before I managed to finally maneuver the battle to a winning position:

But then I got to
what I presume to be the final dungeon, which seems to be twice as long as any other dungeon in the game. Of course, compared to the above all the battles seem pretty trivial now.
In any case, not today. But I can't be far off now can I?

You're not far off at all.

PS.
That fight you struggled with is an optional one.

Dio

Banned
Am I right in thinking SC completes the story, and the third installment is just a little bit extra?

Yes, you're right.

The 3rd chapter is an epilogue which opens up the world and story into Trails of Zero and Trails of Azure and then Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Nah. While it's better than the anime's style I think there's something of a classic charm to the original artwork. As posted above some consider it "rough" or "decent" but I think in a way that's mainly it not being in line with a more modern anime look, and at least for FC I think it's better off for it.

At least it's not like Star Ocean 2, though I think in both cases what Trails in the Sky got was way better anyway.

It's in line with late 80s/early 90s anime, which is what Falcom tends to channel anyway. I like it.

Durante

In the comparison above I also like the original art style more. It seems more expressive and less generic.

PS.
That fight you struggled with is an optional one.
I realized that, but it didn't seem
impossible to win, and if it's not impossible I have to win it :p

Out of all the changes to the Evolution version, those portraits was easily my least favorite. I agree with you 100%.

Tenebrous

Yes, you're right.

The 3rd chapter is an epilogue which opens up the world and story into Trails of Zero and Trails of Azure and then Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2.

Fantastic. Waiting years for a conclusion would kill me!

Man... The ending of FC is sooooo good. I'm excited for anyone finishing the game this week.

Yeah. I got my teary smily-grin face :)'D) when
Cassius came in and whipped the shit outta everything

Diablos54

I'm torturing myself looking at this thread! I'll just go back to finishing my replay of FC and hope SC is out in EU by the time I'm done :(

I think that the new art is fine, but the old one is CLEARLY superior.

but the music being inferior is unacceptable!

Essentially, though a lot of die-hard Trails fans would say it's more than "a bit". It's basically a fairly short main quest used as a wrapper to visit a whole lot of the world-building and extra scenes Falcom simply did not have time or room to fit into the main Trails in the Sky game. A whole hell of a lot of it sets up stuff for Trails of Cold Steel and the Zero/Azure games, though - in particular it's the "proper" first appearance of a particular Erebonian character who is mentioned at length in SC but only makes on-camera appearances in later arcs.

Does this have Xbox 360 controller support?

It should support any and all XInput devices.

The problem was more that a lot of the FC promotional or status art tended to be pretty rough. The new portraits, though, while they help unify the art style with Cold Steel and the Crossbell arc to a lesser extent (though even then, it's not quite like Enami-san's art) really do some of the charm of the originals, particular everyone having a slightly different posture. It always bugged me, even in Zero/Azure, how everyone had a similar posture.

Nyoro SF

While we're on the subject of faces, Joshua's disbelieving face is absolutely essential to the Trails experience. I usually had a good chuckle every time I saw it.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have a 100% steam FC save file? I'm switching from the psp version and I don't want to lose on the time I put into FC.

Nah. While it's better than the anime's style I think there's something of a classic charm to the original artwork. As posted above some consider it "rough" or "decent" but I think in a way that's mainly it not being in line with a more modern anime look, and at least for FC I think it's better off for it.

Hah. Pretty much. Estelle getting hit with the "waif ray" that Rena got hit square between the eyes woulda been a tragedy.

Dio

Banned
I think that the new art is fine, but the old one is CLEARLY superior.

but the music being inferior is unacceptable!

It's a case by case basis.

Click if you wanna hear new renditions of FC tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR1nDYj0l9Y

I don't like this new version of Rock on the Road as much.

Same goes for the Victory theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb6Gh21SBeI

It sounds too overdone.

I also don't like the new Secret Green Passage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlFALXuK2Is

However, I do actually like the new Hollow Light of the Sealed Land. Somehow it doesn't really do it for me after the intro, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtQZOALL6GY

Anyone have a 100% steam FC save file? I'm switching from the psp version and I don't want to lose on the time I put into FC.

Check page 1

Well i thanfully still have the save from the end dungeon of FC. I've almost completely forgot the story though. Debating on just finding a recap video of sorts. Anyone has a video to share?

krYlon

Essentially, though a lot of die-hard Trails fans would say it's more than "a bit". It's basically a fairly short main quest used as a wrapper to visit a whole lot of the world-building and extra scenes Falcom simply did not have time or room to fit into the main Trails in the Sky game. A whole hell of a lot of it sets up stuff for Trails of Cold Steel and the Zero/Azure games, though - in particular it's the "proper" first appearance of a particular Erebonian character who is mentioned at length in SC but only makes on-camera appearances in later arcs.

So, what you're saying is, it's best to wait for TC before playing Cold Steel...

Dio

Banned
So, what you're saying is, it's best to wait for TC before playing Cold Steel...
That's not entirely true.

Falcom said themselves Cold Steel was a great place to jump into the franchise even if you're new. They designed it that way.

However, it's a hell of a lot more important to play TC before Trails of Zero and Azure.

Nah, right now the only one that really needs The 3rd is Trails to Azure. That one features a gorjillion plot beats introduced in 3rd and you might be a little lost on some details without it.

I know folks who still enjoyed Azure without it, but it's very helpful to play 3rd before Azure.

The only thing you'd be missing from Cold Steel by not playing 3rd first would be a little additional background info on who A Certain Erebonian Who Is Not Olivier is; this character is still going to get a good deal of establishment-by-reputation in SC, and that will be enough so that you won't be totally lost going into Cold Steel. And then Cold Steel, IIRC, also fills in some of the necessary beats for new folks.

Dice//

Banned
It's a case by case basis.

Click if you wanna hear new renditions of FC tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR1nDYj0l9Y

I don't like this new version of Rock on the Road as much.

Same goes for the Victory theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb6Gh21SBeI

It sounds too overdone.

I also don't like the new Secret Green Passage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlFALXuK2Is

However, I do actually like the new Hollow Light of the Sealed Land. Somehow it doesn't really do it for me after the intro, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtQZOALL6GY

Check page 1

Augh, it's like FFXHD all over again. Trying too hard in some ways, shovelling in some fancy instrument at another, and some sloppy mixing. It's ok, a nice 'enhancement', but yeah....it's just not the same.

I wish I could transfer my PSP save to the PC version for the bonuses. :( Would it be possible to download a save file from somewhere else before I start SC to get all that stuff? Not sure how it works on Steam with save files, though. Or where SC will look for the files.

Dio

Banned
I wish I could transfer my PSP save to the PC version for the bonuses. :( Would it be possible to download a save file from somewhere else before I start SC to get all that stuff? Not sure how it works on Steam with save files, though. Or where SC will look for the files.

Yes, first page.

Great OT!

Just wanted to make this available if you're coming from PSP to PC or if you just want a PC save file:

https://copy.com/BxvcgrF2JrKZhDVx

All BP, all side quests completed, most (all?) characters at level 39 (out of a max transferrable of 40).

Maybe the OP should include this save file.

Top Bottom