• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

XAL

Damn I was really looking forward to firing this one up on PC.

Might have to refund it if it isn't fixed by end of weekend.

There is very obviously a great Dishonored game buried in here, unless it goes to shit.

Unfortunately;
1) Id Tech 5/6 is a sack of shit and has among the worst IQ and texture streaming of any major engine in the industry, not to mention the audio positioning in every single game is borderline broken. Art is the only thing that elevates it, and the adaptive resolution if you're on consoles and like consistent performance. That's literally it. It's total shit otherwise and needs to be binned.
2) Production in the intro is super fucking rough, like Arkane is rushing through their vision and didn't have the time/money/production team to see their vision meet a AAA standard. I'm not really bothered, but the sound mixing (particularly dialogue flow), animations, etc etc definitely don't feel finish. Just for the intro cutscene stuff, mind you.
3) Lack of raw mouse input and weird juttery frame timing despite 80 - 100 fps equates to a very disappointing PC port. DE:MD had the same problems. Jesus fucking christ get your PC ports right. I'm so fucking tired of this shit.

Thing is all the game systems and general feel, mood, ambience of the game seem totally spot on for what you want from Dishonored. Right down to the wee bit janky we're-focusing-on-design-and-play vibe that these great games all seem to have. But maaaaaaan Id Tech 5/6 can go suck a massive fuck. It just feel so off and I don't want to play any more at all until the technical issues are sorted.

id Tech 6 is great. Doom performs and looks wonderful. 5 has always been a giant piece of shit. Still hoping that performance can be fixed.

I see.

chistemalo.gif

Thanks for the head's up!

I have got stuff from them a day early or on time before, and the few times I've used them recently they've been fine, but they do have a tendency to screw up at times, especially with preorders.

Can you install a patch on the PS4 without the disc being inserted? I'm currently near the end of the original, and I was wondering if I could let the second game update while I finish it off tonight.

There is very obviously a great Dishonored game buried in here, unless it goes to shit.

Unfortunately;
1) Id Tech 5/6 is a sack of shit and has among the worst IQ and texture streaming of any major engine in the industry, not to mention the audio positioning in every single game is borderline broken. Art is the only thing that elevates it, and the adaptive resolution if you're on consoles and like consistent performance. That's literally it. It's total shit otherwise and needs to be binned.
2) Production in the intro is super fucking rough, like Arkane is rushing through their vision and didn't have the time/money/production team to see their vision meet a AAA standard. I'm not really bothered, but the sound mixing (particularly dialogue flow), animations, etc etc definitely don't feel finish. Just for the intro cutscene stuff, mind you.
3) Lack of raw mouse input and weird juttery frame timing despite 80 - 100 fps equates to a very disappointing PC port. DE:MD had the same problems. Jesus fucking christ get your PC ports right. I'm so fucking tired of this shit.

Thing is all the game systems and general feel, mood, ambience of the game seem totally spot on for what you want from Dishonored. Right down to the wee bit janky we're-focusing-on-design-and-play vibe that these great games all seem to have. But maaaaaaan Id Tech 5/6 can go suck a massive fuck. It just feel so off and I don't want to play any more at all until the technical issues are sorted.

bro I feel the same so much. i hate the engine with all my being. Its a handicap and insult to the talented team at Arkane.

and wait...the sound positioning is messed up? in a freaking stealth game?

wtffffff

Khoryos

I thought about using a VPN to unlock it, but it turns out it's just out a day early in the UK?

I've got the first mission down as Corvo and it definitely seems harder than the original - I had to go to work, but I'm looking forward to really digging my teeth into it! No performance issues so far, but I'm running it in 1680x1050 so I'm not pushing it too hard.

(Interestingly, I seem to have a pavlovian reaction to that Bethesda multi-language epilepsy warning - I've enjoyed every game I've ever played that starts with it!)

Shredderi

Zenimax stop handicapping your developers by forcing them to use your shitstain of a engine. Have some damn love and respect for your games. I can't with good conscience buy this until these issues have been fixed. If they won't be fixed, well at least I had the first game which was ace.

Disappointing. I was hoping this would arrive today with my Pro as my Amazon account said it was readying the shipment last night. Now it's arriving Saturday instead - Ah well, not too much of a bother I suppose.

Also, totally not fair that the UK has to buy the limited edition to get Dishonored DE! I was looking forward to playing through the first game and all the DLC again

Jacknapes

Dishonored was one of them games that surprised me when it came out, was bought on a recommendation. Can't wait to get stuck into the 2nd this weekend, decided my first playthrough will be with Corvo then after, Emily.

schlew

Anyone who preordered on Xbox (and perhaps PS4 too) understand how to obtain their copy of the first Dishonored? Bethesda hasn't gotten back to me, and I'm unsure if it's supposed to be a code or something else. Talk yesterday pointed it to be part of D2, but I didn't see it anywhere in the menu screens. Thanks!

Lucifon

Anyone who preordered on Xbox (and perhaps PS4 too) understand how to obtain their copy of the first Dishonored? Bethesda hasn't gotten back to me, and I'm unsure if it's supposed to be a code or something else. Talk yesterday pointed it to be part of D2, but I didn't see it anywhere in the menu screens. Thanks!

Thought you only get the first game if you preorder the 'limited edition'?

hydruxo

Can't wait for this!

Also just a heads up for anyone interested, Target is running a deal where if you buy Dishonored 2 you can get a free Emily or Corvo funko Pop vinyl figure with it (if they have any in stock). It was in their latest ad for the week.

Game is everything I hoped it would be!

Just like the first Dishonored,
only this time it's much more doper.

Favourite game of the year just based on the couple of hours played so far.

Playing on PS4 and haven't noticed much in the way of performance issues, but I'm far from a stickler for such things and can barely think of more than a handful of games I've ever played where performance issues detracted from my enjoyment to a significant degree.

Was going to play as Corvo, but ended up saying eff it and choosing Emily in the end and not regretting it, though my next playthrough will be as Corvo definitely.

Do I need to have finished the first Dishonored to enjoy this? Never got around to playing it but can get this discounted when I pick up my PS4 Pro today

Do I need to have finished the first Dishonored to enjoy this? Never got around to playing it but can get this discounted when I pick up my PS4 Pro today

gameplay + replayability is superb

story is good, but you will lose the emotional strings attached to the world and characters.

you decide what's important.

schlew

I checked just this morning and the $79.99 (I'm in Canada) digital copy on the Xbox storefront still says it includes a copy of D1 for a limited time. I preordered a couple weeks back.

leng jai

PS4 Pro IQ is spotty at best, but from the sounds of the OG version is even worse with screen tearing. I'm hoping they're gonna come out and say they haven't released the patch yet (lol).

Search for it in the store and it should appear free. At one point it was part of the bundle but that meant it wouldn't unlock until 2 was released so they fixed it, now it should be a free entitlement instead.

The pre-order and limited edition should be one and the same digitally.

Haven't had any real performance hits on Xbox One but the IQ is very, very soft, distractingly so.

Rizzi

Probably going to return the PS4 version and wait for the PC port to get patched if it ever makes it not run like poop. The stuttering once you leave Dunwall and get to the wider areas gave me a headache.
Shame too, the first game is amazing.

murgo

Probably going to return the PS4 version and wait for the PC port to get patched if it ever makes it not run like poop. The stuttering once you leave Dunwall and get to the wider areas gave me a headache.

Wait, the PS4 version runs like shit also? Jesus, what the hell have Arkane been doing these past 4 years?

Damn, The first was such a good game for me i really enjoyed the whole package whereas this seems to need a few more patches and someone to sort out the mouse issues.

Sad Panda, i wanted to get this for the weekend :( Oh, well Brigmore Witches it is! Or NepNep, i'm undecided and disappointed.

seph1roth

Wait, Stuttering on PS4 version too?

WTF Arkane XD

Fuck me.

Mankind Divided fiasco all over again.

You were supposed to make things better, D2....:(

Especially the Pro IQ being spotty. Goddamn it. Performance still okay though?

leng jai

Is it 100% confirmed the PS4 Pro version is actually enhanced? Without comparing it to the OG version directly you could probably be forgiven for thinking it hasn't. The AU box doesn't even say on the back.

Is it 100% confirmed the PS4 Pro version is actually enhanced? Without comparing it to the OG version directly you could probably be forgiven for thinking it hasn't. The AU box doesn't even say on the back.
Should I return this thing for Titanfall 2 right now or is it 'good enough'?

Xater

Playstation Blog mentioned it's one of the titles supported from Day 1.

Xater

Hearing about these performance issues on consoles is a bummer. No wonder they were always just showing off the PC version of the game.

schlew

Search for it in the store and it should appear free. At one point it was part of the bundle but that meant it wouldn't unlock until 2 was released so they fixed it, now it should be a free entitlement instead.

The pre-order and limited edition should be one and the same digitally.

Haven't had any real performance hits on Xbox One but the IQ is very, very soft, distractingly so.

Thank you so much for this! I had checked the Xbox storefront on my One this morning and it showed up as $29.99, but I just checked on my phone and yes, D1 is free! Thanks a ton.

Stoze

id Tech 6 is great. Doom performs and looks wonderful. 5 has always been a giant piece of shit. Still hoping that performance can be fixed.

Even Doom has texture streaming issues and wildly inconsistent framerates.

Played a few hours. I can't say I've had any issues with the audio so far but I haven't taken an analytic ear to it. I will say I'm glad I can actually hear the Heart in this one.

Unfortunately I am getting weird microstutters with movement though and it's one of the most taxing games I've played this year on PC. I thought the artstyle and low poly environmental stuff would've helped it perform really well on PC like it did for the first game, but I guess not. I'm hoping there's some impactful graphical settings I haven't pinpointed or ones that are unknowingly flat out broken like in Mankind Divided.

Despite that stuff though I'm really enjoying it and finding it more compelling than the first was initially, but I'm still very early in (just started going through Karnaca).

PS4 Pro IQ is spotty at best, but from the sounds of the OG version is even worse with screen tearing. I'm hoping they're gonna come out and say they haven't released the patch yet (lol).

Did you play it after the patch because from what I have seen of D2, it looks fantastic on the Pro.

I'm going to play it in about an hour, will post some screenshots of the Pro version.

thenexus6

Installing the disc / downloading update right now.

First game was one of the best from last generation. Can't wait to jump in!

Edit: Lol just read all the performance comments.. whelp!

leng jai

Did you play it after the patch because from what I have seen of D2, it looks fantastic on the Pro.

I'm going to play it in about an hour, will post some screenshots of the Pro version.

IQ looks pretty good at times, some instances there's quite a lot of artefacts still and the shadows look terrible throughout. I wonder what resolution it runs at on the Pro. The game seems to keep 30fps pretty well though, haven't noticed any drops after about 2 hours.

Is dialogue tied to framerate too or something? Wtf is going on. I can't understand anything these people are saying because there's all sorts of audio distortions in their dialogue

Xater

What do you mean? A console is nothing but a controlled environment.

You can't throw better hardware at the problem though. You can easily figure out the best set up for your press event which is exactly what happened. The last round of previews were all on PC.

Corpekata

Banned
Just had an amusing moment with the AI.

Far Rached up to a window, which a guard saw partway. Put him in Alert but not Combat status. So he goes looking for me. Bad news for him is that there was a closed dumpster full of bloodflies nearby. He looks for me in there, unleashes the flies, and gets killed, and so do the other half of the guards in the area.

So yeah, the AI is a lot more interesting this time around.

I do wonder if this counts as me killing them or toward high chaos though.

Top Bottom