• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Bl@de

Great OP.

giphy.gif

Evil Within avatars. The church bell has rung.

Toa TAK

Banned
Aside from people's avatars on here and seeing just ONE trailer.

I preordered this so fast on my One. I can't wait to play. Should be fun this Halloween.

Reedirect

Two AAA survival horror games releasing one week apart? I must be in heaven. Anyway, TWE is definitely a GOTY contender for me, so I hope that Mikami delivers. Counting down the days...

I'd like to know if we'll be waiting until release for reviews, or if the embargo pops early.

Apologies if this is answered in the op, but it's so grandiose my phone barely loads it!

Nemesis_

I'd like to know if we'll be waiting until release for reviews, or if the embargo pops early.

Apologies if this is answered in the op, but it's so grandiose my phone barely loads it!

I did some snooping but couldn't find anything. When I know it'll be in the OT.

tf54eNG.gif

It's hard to believe we're finally picking up where RE4 left off. Luckily for us Mikami decided to toss in some Silent Hill, RE3, REMake and a little of everything else horrible under the sun.

Glad to see my gif getting some use. As for the OT. Great work Nemesis!

Today is a happy day!

338.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That Gore Mode Japan is getting via Preorder is just Normal mode for us right?

Yes indeed.

While the retail version of Bethesda's The Evil Within will hit Japan in a censored state compared to other regions, Japanese players will have the option of restoring the game to its full gory glory with add-on DLC available after launch, Famitsu reports (via Siliconera).

Directed by Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami, The Evil Within is a survival horror game that puts players at the scene of a recent mass murder, alone and ill-equipped to handle lurking creatures. ZeniMax Asia general manger Tetsu Takahashi notes that an edited Japanese release will earn a lower CERO content rating, allowing it to reach a wider audience.

"If we were to make it the same way as the foreign version, it'd be rated CERO Z [18 and up] and we felt that it'd be best to release it the way the creators make it," Takahashi said, via Siliconera's translation. "However, that would limit the sales and advertising, so we'd lose the opportunity to reach out to as many customers possible."

Downloadable copies of The Evil Within will be split between CERO D (17 and up) and CERO Z versions at launch, while the Japanese retail release is CERO D-only. Japan's "Gore Mode DLC" will restore The Evil Within's violent content, which will remain uncensored in the North American retail release launching on October 21.

The release date changed after this article was made.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/07/08/japanese-gamers-can-play-the-evil-within-unedited-with-gore-mod/

Actual release dates from OP:

Tuesday, 14th October 2014
Thursday, 16th October 2014
Tuesday, 14th October 2014
Thursday, 23rd October 2014 (as Psycho Break)

American audiences (in the view of ratings boards) can withstand gore, but not sex. It's the opposite for most of the rest of the world.

So hyped. So cautious about the pc version, but pre-ordered nonetheless.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Alien: Isolation should hold me over nicely until this hits. Any word on when the embargo lifts for reviews?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Count me in this hype train, most excited I've been for a game in years, and interested to see how everything with the title turns out (personal overall enjoyment, GAF impressions, critic reviews, sales, etc.).

TheMoon

There is a also a New Game+ mode. Weapons and your character skills / improvements will carry over to repeat playthroughs of the difficulty cleared or a lower difficulty. You CANNOT carry over weapons and skills to a higher difficulty that you haven't cleared yet

Mikami really isn't cutting us some slack, huh? :D

I remember this being a chief point of criticism in RE4 and Dead Space.

I kinda like the old school "no, you don't get to baby yourself through this! by farming upgrades on easy and taking them into your hard playthrough!" :D

Neff

I'm looking forward to this more than I've looked forward to a game in a long, long time.

Mupod

Mikami really isn't cutting us some slack, huh? :D

I remember this being a chief point of criticism in RE4 and Dead Space.

I kinda like the old school "no, you don't get to baby yourself through this! by farming upgrades on easy and taking them into your hard playthrough!" :D

I really didn't like how RE5 professional seemed to assume you were going in either with upgraded guns or a competent human partner. I'm sure someone has beaten it solo with unupgraded guns, but you'd need the patience of a saint.

I'd rather it lock you to one difficulty, I'm fine with playing around after finishing the game but if you want to beat the hard mode you gotta do it right.

I was really hoping I was going to be able to write this off when they moved it to October, it only has sounded better since then... At least Dragon Age moved out of this month.

And great job on the OT Nemesis!

TheMoon

I really didn't like how RE5 professional seemed to assume you were going in either with upgraded guns or a competent human partner. I'm sure someone has beaten it solo with unupgraded guns, but you'd need the patience of a saint.

I'd rather it lock you to one difficulty, I'm fine with playing around after finishing the game but if you want to beat the hard mode you gotta do it right.

Yea, for me Hard and Professional in RE5 were basically just Infinite Rocket Launcher Mode(TM). I've never made it out of the village in RE4 on Professional lol. Mikami drinks my tears for breakfast.

ST2K

I don't have the best feeling about this game -- it's got a big legacy to live up to -- but I'm on board the hype train. Let's hope it's amazing!

cerulily

Seriously super-duper into what i've seen of this game. I felt like this last gen basically all but ruined horror gaming for me.

But... i really can't shake some of the negative previews from earlier in its development. Does anyone know when review embargos drop?

To be honest, I'm not too excited for The Evil Within, the previews have given me mixed feelings yet I pre-ordered the game anyways. Why? Because I have trust in Shinji Mikami, that man hasn't let me down yet and will make a fantastic horror game, even if I don't see it yet.

Top Bottom