• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Cedar Point FTW.

Also, we're quickly approaching the ideal time of the year to visit amusement parks - when all of the kiddies go back to school but most of the parks are still open full hours.

It's a shame that Dueling Dragons will never Duel again!!

Thanks to some assholes who were throwing things from one train to the other when they would come close enough during the first big loop, Universal decided to never run them in dueling mode again!

The fuck, idiots, now im glad I got to ride it before this happened :(

SmithnCo

It's a shame that Dueling Dragons will never Duel again!!

Thanks to some assholes who were throwing things from one train to the other when they would come close enough during the first big loop, Universal decided to never run them in dueling mode again!

WTF? Dammit people.

Thought it was too bad Kings Island decided to dismantle Son of Beast. Only rode it once (WHEN it had the loop too) and could totally understand how someone could get hurt because it was rough. It still seems wasteful to just get rid of it, though.

satriales

Woah woah woah. Thorpe Park is the best theme park in the UK, Alton Towers is behind it.

Other than that. Nice OP.

I agree, Thorpe Park has overtaken Alton Towers in the last decade. I also think Thorpe has better theming, Swarm is a great recent example, but my favourite is Tidal Wave with it's flooded city and the KFC opposite that has massive holes in the roof and a shark stuck in there.

Alton are building a massive new coaster which is much needed and could swing the balance back in their favour.

ultron87

Thought it was too bad Kings Island decided to dismantle Son of Beast. Only rode it once (WHEN it had the loop too) and could totally understand how someone could get hurt because it was rough. It still seems wasteful to just get rid of it, though.

Oh god. That ride was the worst thing I've ever ridden. I felt like shit for a good hour after that. Good riddance.

Unless they took it down this year it is still there I think. As a monument to man's hubris.

A top 10 of the hundred or so different roller coasters I've been on.

Overall
1. El Toro (Six Flags Great Adventure, New Jersey)
2. Phantom's Revenge (Kennywood, Pennsylvania)
3. Voyage (Holiday World, Indiana)
4. Nitro (Six Flags Great Adventure, New Jersey)
5. Space Mountain (Magic Kingdom, Florida)
6. Kentucky Rumbler (Beech Bend Park, Kentucky)
7. Maverick (Cedar Point, Ohio)
8. Montu (Busch Gardens Tampa/Africa/Current name, Florida)
9. Kraken (Sea World Orlando, Florida)
10. Legend (Holiday World, Indiana)

Wood
2. Voyage (Holiday World, Indiana)
3. Kentucky Rumbler (Beech Bend Park, Kentucky)
4. Legend (Holiday World, Indiana)
5. Ravine Flyer II (Waldameer, Pennsylvania)
6. Thunderbolt (Kennywood, Pennsylvania)
7. Lightning Racer (Hershey Park, Pennsylvania)
8. Big Dipper (Geauga Lake, Ohio)
9. Villain (Geauga Lake, Ohio)
10. Dania Beach Hurricane (Dania, Florida)

Steel
1. Phantom's Revenge (Kennywood, Pennsylvania)
2. Nitro (Six Flags Great Adventure, New Jersey)
3. Manta (Sea World Orlando, Florida)
4. Space Mountain (Magic Kingdom, Florida)
5. Maverick (Cedar Point, Ohio)
6. Montu (Busch Gardens Tampa/Africa/Current name, Florida)
7. Kraken (Sea World Orlando, Florida)
8. Intimidator (Carowinds, North Carolina)
9. Afterburn/Top Gun (Carowinds, North Carolina)
10. Magnum XL-200 (Cedar Point, Ohio)

I had never been on a roller coaster before so my girlfriend took me to Six Flags Great Adventure here in New Jersey.

We went on Batman and I wasn't sure how I felt, not sure if I liked it or not, then she took me on Stunt Man's Freefall and we immediately left afterwards. I did not like that feeling. Haven't been on one since.

I agree, Thorpe Park has overtaken Alton Towers in the last decade. I also think Thorpe has better theming, Swarm is a great recent example, but my favourite is Tidal Wave with it's flooded city and the KFC opposite that has massive holes in the roof and a shark stuck in there.

Alton are building a massive new coaster which is much needed and could swing the balance back in their favour.

I love both. Always thought Alton Towers was better, but I haven't been to Thorpe Park in a few years so not been on Saw or Swarm, will need to go back soon I think.

Stayed overnight at Alton Towers last year, it was definitely worth it. The Splash Landings hotel was great, could go straight from our room to the waterpark. It had a couple of good flumes but apart from that was a bit mediocre. It was great getting into the park an hour early the next day though, went on every single ride, even the shit ones I don't normally bother with, the big ones several times.

Man I love roller coasters. Nothing like the feeling you get. Hope to get out to Florida at some point.

slit

Oh god. That ride was the worst thing I've ever ridden. I felt like shit for a good hour after that. Good riddance.

Unless they took it down this year it is still there I think. As a monument to man's hubris.

Agreed. That thing should never have been made.

They just announced they're tearing it down. The best part was the loop and that was taken out years ago.

gibut

Man i love roller coaster, had season pass to Six Flags in Jersey for awhile. Went with a good friend of mine who has since moved to Austin, none of my other friends seem to be big fans of roller coaster(most afraid of heights). I really want to check out Cedar point before the end of the summer, would it be worthwhile going by myself. Its about a 8-9 hour drive for me.

Ash_69

Agree with Thorpe Park being better than Alton. If you looking purely from a ride standpoint, there is no comparison, Thorpe has significantly bigger and better thrill rides and the last few years have continued to see great additions (Stealth, Saw, Swarm) which cannot be said for Alton. Lol, at Thirteen...

That's not to saw Alton isn't great fun, it's very charming but it's lost momentum over the last few years and is definately positioning itself as the best overall family experience.

Some day, I hope to go to Cedar Point. That is the one park that would blow my mind.

Oh well none of them do very good themeing or atmosphere compared to even Disney in europe, Im just saying Thorpe Park has the best rides (still not that great)

I would love to go to all the crazy USA ones but have only been to ones in Florida when I was alot younger ;(

I'd still take Nemesis and Oblivion, as short as it is, over anything in Thorpe Park but that's down to personal opinion. But yeah Thorpe has definitely tipped the balance in their favour in terms of the sheer number of quality coasters the past few years. Hopefully next years AT coaster puts them back in the top spot. It has a lot of potential. I haven't been on Swarm yet at Thorpe yet either.

You should take a peek at Europa Park in Germany. World class theme park, better than Disneyland Paris in my opinion; definitely the best park I've been to in Europe and significantly cheaper than the US.

Ash_69

Cedar Point is to amusement parks as Call of Duty is to video games. Think about that analogy for a bit...

Since I rarely play videogames and don't play call of duty, you'll have to help me here.

The perception I get is it's not going to be as much of a themed wonderland as Disney parks but the sheer size and intensity of its rides make it the hardcore andrenaline junkies park of choice.

Goldrusher

I live in Hershey and was just at Hersheypark last night for a few hours. For those that don't know, it's a nice little park with a solid collection of coasters. It's very family friendly and very, very clean. Growing up I pretty much spent my summers there (I had a season pass) in the arcade and going on the rides.
A little park with no less than 12 roller coasters, including 5 world class ones.

Does it still smell like chocolate in the area?

I'd still take Nemesis and Oblivion, as short as it is, over anything in Thorpe Park but that's down to personal opinion. But yeah Thorpe has definitely tipped the balance in their favour in terms of the sheer number of quality coasters the past few years. Hopefully next years AT coaster puts them back in the top spot. It has a lot of potential. I haven't been on Swarm yet at Thorpe yet either.

You should take a peek at Europa Park in Germany. World class theme park, better than Disneyland Paris in my opinion; definitely the best park I've been to in Europe and significantly cheaper than the US.

Id never actually heard of it until this thread but it seems pretty awesome! Wonder how easy it is to get too from the UK.

Id never actually heard of it until this thread but it seems pretty awesome! Wonder how easy it is to get too from the UK.

I got a coach which was long but cheap and not too unpleasant with a good group of people. There are a couple of airports close by that have flights from the UK but how often and for how much I'm not sure. I'm planning on getting a flight to a major airport next time and having a few days to relax in Germany before hopping on a train there.

It's great because it's the perfect mix of thrill and wonder. It has the theming and scale of Disneyland with the big shows in the various hotels, and it has some major coasters too (tallest coaster in Europe until Port Aventura beat it this year, I believe)

Since I rarely play videogames and don't play call of duty, you'll have to help me here.

Part of it is my opinion after being to many different parks and riding different rides.

Cedar Point and Call of Duty share many similar generic traits of their respective industries. Both are boisterous, lacking a soul, and are for the most part ugly.

Cedar Point is a giant concrete and steel paradise filled with overpriced food and merchandise. It's far from the end all be all of roller coasters, too. They lack a few solid wooden coasters compared to parks across the country. Sure, loops are fun but not every family member likes them. Much is left to be desired in their family rides as well.

Jump over to the gaming side if you want to understand Call of Duty. It's basically become a formulaic FPS trying to be a hollywood action movie. It's full of jingoism and nationalism while trying to hide its red, white, and blue ammo holsters. I'm pretty sure not much has changed in the series since 2008, too?

The perception I get is it's not going to be as much of a themed wonderland as Disney parks but the sheer size and intensity of its rides make it the hardcore andrenaline junkies park of choice.

For the most part, yeah. They've been unsure of how to market the park for the past few years.

I just find it ridiculous that a day at one of The Walt Disney World Resort parks is arguably more affordable than Cedar Point.

Maverick is my favorite at Cedar Point, followed closely by Gemini and the underappreciated Wicked Twister.

The ones I hate are Mean Streak (obvious, painful reasons) and unfortunately joining the list, Magnum. Last time I rode it, the ride was incredibly jarring and it was really showing its age. I wouldn't be shocked if it's gone within the next 15 years considering Millenium Force is a newer, faster and bigger version of Magnum.

This is my kind of thread! Still planing on going to the US just for visiting as much theme parks as I can. The ones in germany don't thrill me anymore.

Koodo

Banned
YES, I love roller coasters and I love theme parks! *O*

Amazing OP, too!

Shame I live in the middle of nowhere in regards to theme parks (Calgary). I refuse to consider Calaway Park anything of worth.

This is my kind of thread! Still planing on going to the US just for visiting as much theme parks as I can. The ones in germany don't thrill me anymore.
Even the huge ones here barely thrill me anymore. I've been going to one of the parks with the biggest rides in the world for over 10 years so I've kinda gotten used to them :(

I've decided that inversions are overrated too. Most of my favorite rides now don't have them or barely have them

6 Flags Magic Mountain:

1. Green Lantern
2. X2
3. Tatsu

Green Lantern looked so weird, short and crappy, but man that ride gave me the absolute worst physical sensation I've ever had. Completely gut wrenching, I've never experienced anything like it.

X2 gave similar sensations in a different way, due to the different build types. Where Green Lantern was all about tension and gravity, X2 was about speed and mania. But they both let the chairs spin, which is probably where the similarity lies. Gut wrenching is still the word.

Tatsu was another ride in the speed and mania vein, but with chairs fixed facing down it was a different beast altogether. The thrill for me really came from the impression of the size of the thing: enormous swoops from way above the treeline right down to the ground and through the foliage. Exhilarating rather than terrifying. But still did a nice line in terrifying.

But damn what a day that was. It's been a long, long time since I rode a thrill ride, and I was blown away. My wife and I managed to get round all the top-rated rides and found time to ride X2 again as the park closed. Unbelievable. I described it afterwards as the absolute physical experience of certain death, and saviour, several times in a few minutes.

Honourable mention to Goliath too; that drop was truly horrifying.

I've decided that inversions are overrated too. Most of my favorite rides now don't have them or barely have them

SeaWorld and Busch Gardens in Florida have the best B&M inversion coasters in the country. Give those parks a chance if you're ever down in that area.

caramac

Been on most of the highly thought of coasters in the UK and Florida. I still rate Nemesis at Alton Towers highly .....so intense and the theming and setting is fantastic.

aaa_nemesis_01.jpg

normal_aaa_nemesis_22i.jpg

6 Flags Magic Mountain:

1. Green Lantern
2. X2
3. Tatsu

Green Lantern looked so weird, short and crappy, but man that ride gave me the absolute worst physical sensation I've ever had. Completely gut wrenching, I've never experienced anything like it.

X2 gave similar sensations in a different way, due to the different build types. Where Green Lantern was all about tension and gravity, X2 was about speed and mania. But they both let the chairs spin, which is probably where the similarity lies. Gut wrenching is still the word.

Tatsu was another ride in the speed and mania vein, but with chairs fixed facing down it was a different beast altogether. The thrill for me really came from the impression of the size of the thing: enormous swoops from way above the treeline right down to the ground and through the foliage. Exhilarating rather than terrifying. But still did a nice line in terrifying.

But damn what a day that was. It's been a long, long time since I rode a thrill ride, and I was blown away. My wife and I managed to get round all the top-rated rides and found time to ride X2 again as the park closed. Unbelievable. I described it afterwards as the absolute physical experience of certain death, and saviour, several times in a few minutes.

Honourable mention to Goliath too; that drop was truly horrifying.
Green Lantern is one of the worst rides I've ridden in recent memory

SeaWorld and Busch Gardens in Florida have the best B&M inversion coasters in the country. Give those parks a chance if you're ever down in that area.
I've ridden a few, we have Batman at Magic Mountain, I've ridden Raptor at Cedar Point, and they just don't give me the sort of thrill I get from a Goliath, a Millennium Force, or a good twisty wooden ride

Green Lantern is one of the worst rides I've ridden in recent memory
:(

Likesay, I'm no connoisseur. Actually I recall it was even quite painful on the old leggies. But I was too terrified to notice at the time.

Sounds like you're all thrilled out. Maybe you're ready for meditation?

Flash

Canada's Wonderland is a good time. Used to be better/better kept when Paramount owned it though. Regardless, I want to go on The Leviathan so bad.

better kept I agree but better overall? no way. The two best roller coasters came after the cedar fair take over (Behemoth and Leviathan). When paramount owned it, I felt like the place was the same year after year... and their new yearly (bi-yearly?) additions were very mediocre. Not to mention those fast lanes makes the trip way more enjoyable if you plan on going only once every one or two years or something.

Ooh is that Dragon Khan in the OP? Love that ride, I love theme parks and rides but I'm mainly a sucker for theming amdin particular Disney imagineering. Here are a few of my preferences:

Favourite park:
Magic kingdom

Favourite rides:
Jaws (RIP)
Pirates of the Carribean
Tower of Terror
Slash mountain

Favourite coaster:
Nemesis
Dragon Khan

Being in England it's not easy to visit Wdw but will hopefully go back in 2014 for our sons first trip, in the meantime we are going to Disneyland Paris next month to get my Disney fix :)

:(

Likesay, I'm no connoisseur. Actually I recall it was even quite painful on the old leggies. But I was too terrified to notice at the time.

Sounds like you're all thrilled out. Maybe you're ready for meditation?
It could have been a lot better, but like you said it was very uncomfortable. I would have liked it more if it was a bit longer and the cars actually rotated a bit. having it be completely 2D limits it, I think

and it's time for me to go skydiving

D-Pad

See this baby here?

TnVGb.jpg

Now this babe may not be the fastest or the tallest, but she'll have you flipping and twisting around tight turns without ever slowing up. She'll keep you on your toes from the beginning to the end and she'll never shoot you down if you want a ride (so long as you're over 4'6"). She's the Georgia Scorcher, and she's here to rock your world.

D-Pad

My dream coaster ride is Tatsu. After experiencing the pretzel loop on Superman Ultimate Flight (SF over Georgia) I'd love to be able to experience the much bigger one at Magic Mountain.

See this baby here?

TnVGb.jpg

Now this babe may not be the fastest or the tallest, but she'll have you flipping and twisting around tight turns without ever slowing up. She'll keep you on your toes from the beginning to the end and she'll never shoot you down if you want a ride (so long as you're over 4'6"). She's the Georgia Scorcher, and she's here to rock your world.

Never a line either.

For anyone on the fence about a cedar point trip right now.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/tickets/?promoCode=2013#

it should pop-up.

Tickets are $25. That is amazingly cheap and they are good until 9/3/12
If I lived a little closer and had disposable money I would make a cedar point run right now...

Shit, I'm tempted to go this weekend.

It's going to be 71 degrees on Saturday. Sounds like perfect CP weather to me!

Also, someone should organize a GAF Day at the Park, in the same vein of the GAF meetups.

satriales

See this baby here?

TnVGb.jpg

Where's the theming?
I'm not a fan of coasters that are just plonked on a flat piece of concrete.

Was in PortAventura Park in Spain a few years ago and that was pretty awesome. But never again :

wuDRy.jpg

Only was there one day though and never even got time to visit the water park section. Their biggest wooden coaster was also pretty great

TvHgl.jpg

Those two look boss as fuck.

I've worked at a small-ish theme park during summer for last three years, so whenever I'm at one I just analyze everything, takes some of the fun out of it.

scosher

How recently?

Actually, haven't been to Magic Mountain in about 5 or 6 years, so it's likely improved since I've gone just as Great Adventure has improved leaps and bounds over the past years. I admit, I'm biased though, since I grew up going there. :p

Actually, haven't been to Magic Mountain in about 5 or 6 years, so it's likely improved since I've gone just as Great Adventure has improved leaps and bounds over the past years. I admit, I'm biased though, since I grew up going there. :p
Yeah, some of Magic Mountain's best rides have been recent. X2 (doesn't break down as much as X did, they fixed the trains), Tatsu, Apocalypse (replaced Psyclone), I don't know if Scream was there when you were but it's great, etc. Ride for ride, Magic Mountain has 14 to Great Adventure's 9, but they probably have comparable quality. I have grown up near Magic Mountain, so I'm likely biased towards that, but it's impossible to deny it's a world class park

peach

A top 10 of the hundred or so different roller coasters I've been on.

Overall
2. Phantom's Revenge (Kennywood, Pennsylvania)
3. Voyage (Holiday World, Indiana)
4. Nitro (Six Flags Great Adventure, New Jersey)
5. Space Mountain (Magic Kingdom, Florida)
6. Kentucky Rumbler (Beech Bend Park, Kentucky)
7. Maverick (Cedar Point, Ohio)
8. Montu (Busch Gardens Tampa/Africa/Current name, Florida)
9. Kraken (Sea World Orlando, Florida)
10. Legend (Holiday World, Indiana)

Wood
2. Voyage (Holiday World, Indiana)
3. Kentucky Rumbler (Beech Bend Park, Kentucky)
4. Legend (Holiday World, Indiana)
5. Ravine Flyer II (Waldameer, Pennsylvania)
6. Thunderbolt (Kennywood, Pennsylvania)
7. Lightning Racer (Hershey Park, Pennsylvania)
8. Big Dipper (Geauga Lake, Ohio)
9. Villain (Geauga Lake, Ohio)
10. Dania Beach Hurricane (Dania, Florida)

Steel
1. Phantom's Revenge (Kennywood, Pennsylvania)
2. Nitro (Six Flags Great Adventure, New Jersey)
3. Manta (Sea World Orlando, Florida)
4. Space Mountain (Magic Kingdom, Florida)
5. Maverick (Cedar Point, Ohio)
6. Montu (Busch Gardens Tampa/Africa/Current name, Florida)
7. Kraken (Sea World Orlando, Florida)
8. Intimidator (Carowinds, North Carolina)
9. Afterburn/Top Gun (Carowinds, North Carolina)
10. Magnum XL-200 (Cedar Point, Ohio)

Did you ever ride the Steel Phantom before the Revenge was built? I love Kennywood. I grew up going there and we lived in Pittsburgh last year and had season passes. I'd put the Thunder Bolt at the top of my wooden coaster list!

Top Bottom