• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jihadi brides return to UK sent back by husbands preparing ISIS last stand or widowed

Jumeira

Banned
We've got us an ISIS sympathizer. Isis has no problem committing genocide, torture and enslavement, but we should be nice to them

We aren't ISIS, would've thought it'd be obvious. I give you too much credit it seems.

Anyone who goes to join Isis should lose their nationality. These women should not be allowed back in.

You can't revoke nationality, especially if your born with it. Jail seems more fitting, and an example to others.

Dabanton

A period being held and questioned would be agreeable. Also those poor kids. Absolutely sickening.

Just arriving back in the country and then expecting to be let back into normal communities seems especially after this week a bit dangerous.

Even keeping them 'under watch' no longer fills me with confidence, its looking like it doesn't really work, due to the sheer number of scumbags who are looking to commit atrocities on the populace. The scum who blew himself up was under watch and we can see the final result of that.

Sounds like everything is being done correctly.

Do love the group photo:
rXhvcpP.jpg

Someone should Photoshop ninja turtle head bands

Ushay

As both a British citizen and a Muslim I can say I wouldn't be too pleased to offer an open hand to these people. They're adults and knew full well what they were doing.

Im some cases it is young women being taken advantage of. Whatever happens they will likely need therapy and rehabilitation to fit back in.

We've got us an ISIS sympathizer. Isis has no problem committing genocide, torture and enslavement, but we should be nice to them
You should probably try and solve those problems with reading comprehension by going back to class.
They all deserve death over the age of 16, yet here you going on about counseling and therapy and maternal custodial rights
Why not go even lower? That's the Trump/American way, right? Ugh.

Still. Give 'em a trial. If they weren't forced or if they were not kidnapped then they will most likely go to prison. Rightfully so. Sad to see such brainwashing, but we need to stem the flood.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Lol.
Fuck em.
Send them back or arrest them for supporting an international terrorist organization.
No sympathy because they literally will foster the next generation of these sickos.

Matt

The idea of revoking someone's citizenship, no matter their crime, is one I find disturbing.

Individual crimes should of course be prosecuted on a case by case basis.

TransTrender

Gold Member
It's not so clear cut. They're right in treating this case by case because of stories like these.
Great. Let the courts figure it out after they're arrested. Also smells a lot like those folks that rehabbed in Gitmo and then ended up right back in the game or smeared all over the walls after bowling themselves up.

what crime did these women commit
Whatever crimes come with supporting international terrorist organizations.

Can someone PM one of these "recruitment" videos? I just do not understand how a girl/woman/boy/man can be so influenced to want to give up their lives/family to die for people who give 0 about them. Especially interested in the video thats talked about in the posted article, about luring jihadi brides.

TransTrender

Gold Member
How, specifically, did they support it? By marrying the terrorists? Are you suggesting that a woman is defined by her husband?
By all accounts daily life in ISIS territory is like a job and you're working every day to help the cause. You just can't marry a fighter and isolate yourself from helping them.

You sound like a real expert on British law
I'm not and this isn't or shouldn't be a British only problem when it's an international problem. It's pretty clear when you work for terrorist you are a terrorist.

Them as in ISIS.

By all accounts daily life in ISIS territory is like a job and you're working every day to help the cause. You just can't marry a fighter and isolate yourself from helping them.

To get them into prison you need to prove a specific action they did that was a crime. In most jurisdictions, baking bread or cleaning the house for someone you know is a murderer doesn't count as a crime

TransTrender

Gold Member
To get them into prison you need to prove a specific action they did that was a crime. In most jurisdictions, baking bread or cleaning the house for someone you know is a murderer doesn't count as a crime
Well I only made the bombs bit didn't set them off.
Well I only cleaned the guns but I didn't shoot them. Well I only made the ammunition but I didn't use any.

By the very nature of ISIS and it's territory it will be impossible to prove what they did it didn't do, but honestly marrying an ISIS fighter and putting your boots on the ground is enough.

Once again there's a defense force for everything.

Tuck

My first thought would be "Let them back in, arrest them and try them for treason."

But that story posted above showed me that some of these women were victims, not criminals.

Guess it depends on the circumstances. The ones who went willingly I don't have much sympathy for. The ones who did not deserve support.

Well I only cleaned the guns but I didn't shoot them. Well I only made the ammunition but I didn't use any.

By the very nature of ISIS and it's territory it will be impossible to prove what they did it didn't do, but honestly marrying an ISIS fighter and putting your boots on the ground is enough.

I'm not defending it, I'm just explaining the legal dilemma

Dopus

Banned

I've already said it in this thread but I'll say it again. Some went voluntarily, some didn't. Some tried to flee, some wanted to. Some stayed to support their husbands and the cause. Some were killed for trying to leave. It's more complicated than what yourself and others are making it out to be, so treating this as a black and white issue is rather shortsighted.

I noticed you make what looks to be a defense of Gitmo in your post too. And then you have the gall to say that there is a "defense force for everything." Each of these women need to be treated as individuals. The authorities will look into each case separately and rightly so. Calling for them to be denied entry without any due process is foolish.

This is fucking disgusting. Don't let them back in or at least arrest them and throw them in jail. The UK government is an absolute joke. Protect your damn people. Fuck.

Breakage

Yes...let's allow them back in to poison more minds with their religious bullshit.

Some people act as if the UK's intelligence services are an unlimited resource. "Oh we'll just get some people to watch them carefully just incase they engage in a plot to kill civilians". It takes around 8-12 agents to watch one person if I'm not mistaken. Do they really need to be stretched even further as a result of accommodating these women?

Taking a robust stance also acts as a deterrent to girls thinking that it'd be cool to join ISIS. If they get the impression that consequence of their brief flirtation with ISIS is a bit of interrogation followed by the gradual re-integration into society then what's there to discourage them?

Mohonky

Yeh, the specific crime is being a member of a terrorist organisation.

Did the individual leave with their partner voluntarily knowing said partner was going to participate in activities with ISIS?

Yes? Then a crime has been committed.

Which part of that are you struggling with?

Let me use your analogy....if I travel with you to your destination knowing full well you intend to break the law on arrival, I am an accessory.

They all need to be locked up as extremists. They don't want to live under a democracy and they could threaten the safety of the public... Not to mention open to further radicalisation and radicalising others.

The ones that went voluntarily supported terrorism... men who murdered and killed innocent people. They did this by choice. The terrorism act needs to be enforced here. Watch the human rights and other do gooders say no to this... but you won't see them if a terrorist act is committed.

Some of y'all really need to learn about presumption of innocence and due process, damn.

For those that went voluntarily... what's the presumption of innocence... They chose to live in an "Islamic State" married to men that kill and murder. This is abetting terrorism.

As both a British citizen and a Muslim I can say I wouldn't be too pleased to offer an open hand to these people. They're adults and knew full well what they were doing.

Im some cases it is young women being taken advantage of. Whatever happens they will likely need therapy and rehabilitation to fit back in.

They should not be rehabilitated back in.... what control will the government have on the ideology of any future children they have? None. The communities are sometimes segregated, refusing to integrate. I'm an immigrant in the UK... with a Muslim father. Though I'm a Christian I do not agree with these women living back in society... even with constant monitoring.

Yeh, the specific crime is being a member of a terrorist organisation.

Did the individual leave with their partner voluntarily knowing said partner was going to participate in activities with ISIS?

Yes? Then a crime has been committed.

Which part of that are you struggling with?

Let me use your analogy....if I travel with you to your destination knowing full well you intend to break the law on arrival, I am an accessory.

Section 11 of the Terrorism Act 2000 makes it an offence to be part of a terrorism organization yes. But not an offence punishable by life in prison as the person I first quoted in this chain said it would be. IANAL, but it seems the maximum punishment is ten years

And you would still need due process in every specific case, you can't just chuck them in prison the moment they land as some people seem to believe

Dopus

Banned
They should not be rehabilitated back in.... what control will the government have on the ideology of any future children they have? None. The communities are sometimes segregated, refusing to integrate. I'm an immigrant in the UK... with a Muslim father. Though I'm a Christian I do not agree with these women living back in society... even with constant monitoring.

Sorry, but the justice system isn't going to work on hypotheticals like that.

If there is a threat, it will be monitored. If these women aren't suitable parents, they will not raise their children. If these women are guilty of crimes, they will be charged.

These are highly unusual circumstances and this isn't a black and white situation by any account.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I assume they are citizen still. Don't really have a choice.

The UK is a monarchy isn't it? Can't the queen banish them?

Maybe I'm misremembering, but we're some of the girls who left as young as 14? Not all of them necessarily understood what they were doing, where they were going, and what the results would be.

Dead Man

For those that went voluntarily... what's the presumption of innocence... They chose to live in an "Islamic State" married to men that kill and murder. This is abetting terrorism.

So no presumption of innocence because NeloAnjelo is sure they have committed a crime? Fucking wonderful mate. Let us know which other things you've decided so we can stop with all this court rubbish.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Truly.

We are talking about the organisation that has been in the news for multiple years now, with a ton of beheading videos, that have done major terror attacks across the world, that enslaved thousands and killed god knows how many? What do you expect people to understand here? If you fall for that stuff, then you need to face the consequences. Not being welcomed back as if it was some stupid mistake and all is forgiven.
This. Lock 'em up.

Great. Let the courts figure it out after they're arrested. Also smells a lot like those folks that rehabbed in Gitmo and then ended up right back in the game or smeared all over the walls after bowling themselves up.

Whatever crimes come with supporting international terrorist organizations.
What the fuck are you on about? Rehabbed in Gitmo? Do you think 24/7 solitary confinement is a nice little vacation and torture is just minor discomfort?

And you call others part of a defense force. What?

Well to me it's more like joining a SS totenkopf division and be a cook for them during the invasion of Russia. Which is clearly active participation.

spwolf

If there is a threat, it will be monitored. If these women aren't suitable parents, they will not raise their children. If these women are guilty of crimes, they will be charged.

likely none of that will happen... justice system is too slow.

Going to Isis countries and helping terrorists is a crime in most EU countries anyway. However that does not solve the problem, jail sentences they might get are not long.

What needs to happen is rehabilitation but that usually does not work.

Lol.
Fuck em.
Send them back or arrest them for supporting an international terrorist organization.
No sympathy because they literally will foster the next generation of these sickos.

If they are coming back, they are considered traitors and apostates by ISIS.
The last thing you want, is closing the door of getting back for all people going to join ISIS. Many people were brainwashed by recruiters and then are trapped there because they realized they are just bandits and can't go back because they would be jailed in their home country.

We should have a coherent program of deradicalization that can allow them to come back from that path. The objective is to make the life of ISIS harder and not easier.

Top Bottom