• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

caliph95

At least Legends and Who have excuse of being mostly goofy shows and they know it, Flash takes it self seriously for me to tolerate dumb stuff like that

tci

🤔
Not my cup of tea.

I think writing suffers when there aren't rules. Supergirl sorta has the same issue, but to a lesser extent. The speed force on this show is a more nebulous concept than alien superpowers. In Flash, things just happen because of the speed force. When a show is more grounded, you have to come up with plausible explanations for why a character would walk away from their friends, why a city is in danger, etc. The speed force is a crutch for the writing in this show.

It doesn't mean they can't do speed force stories and make them interesting. It just means that even the physics defying speed force needs rules. It's like when a show has magic in it. If you don't establish "the rules" then shit can just happen and nothing matters. The rules can be a little vague. They can even be broken sometimes. But there has to be some sorta...boundary. Every season is a clean slate with these kinda shows. So you never know. They might get it together
That is a good point. It is just frustrating to have shit like this happen every other episode.

Joni

Not my cup of tea.

In that case please refer to Arrow S2, S5, Legends of Tomorrow S2, The 100 S2, S3, S4, The Vampire Diaries S2-S4, Supernatural S2-S4, S11-13, Reign S2-S4, ... for other examples disproving your statement.

DeathyBoy

Banned
In that case please refer to Arrow S2, S5, Legends of Tomorrow S2, The 100 S2, S3, S4, The Vampire Diaries S2-S4, Supernatural S2-S4, S11-13, Reign S2-S4, ... for other examples disproving your statement.

Don't bother, dude. This show is trash to them and they won't accept anything else.

Supernatural S13 is next season, bruh. Fake news!

Also, you left out S5.

tci

There are exceptions ofc. But lately most CW shows after the first season or two have been poor.
Don't bother, dude. This show is trash to them and they won't accept anything else.
So it is either good or trash? If I don't like a show, it doesn't mean it is trash. Just not for me.

As of now I am just frustrated with how Flash, Supergirl and Arrow have turned to shit. Arrow might have redeemed itself after season 3, but it lost me a long time ago.

Also, LOL at Barry murdering every other villain, but the one time the villain turns out to be him he's all "wait, let's be nice to this guy."

I think it makes perfect sense. The reason Barry became savatar was because everyone treated him like shit because he wasn't Barry. Barry hoped to fix that by showing him that they can make things work and he could belong there.

I loved the season. I don't get why people have so many issues with it.

Joni

I like calling out idiotic opinions. It cheers my day.

Supernatural S13 is next season, bruh. Fake news!

Also, you left out S5.

Damn it. Messed up the numbers. To be fair, who keeps track of all those seasons.

There are exceptions ofc. But lately most CW shows after the first season or two have been poor.

The CW aired 15 shows this year, 12 which returned from last year. The Flash was terrible and Supernatural couldn't match an amazing S11 while still being quite good even though the start of the season wasn't convincing, but literally every other one is about even or better than the previous year. The exceptions seem to cover almost every show. Even Supergirl wasn't really worse than last year, it wasn't a particularly good show in the first place.

ZeroX03

Banned
It never ceases to amaze me how Americans can't tell the difference between British, Australian and New Zealand accents, which are all pretty darn distinct.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
He's not British lmao
Oops, Australian, haha. His accent isn't crazy strong enough for me to place it right away. My bad.

It never ceases to amaze me how Americans can't tell the difference between British, Australian and New Zealand accents, which are all pretty darn distinct.
I can't even tell where some Americans are from in my own country. Apparently, I have an accent being from Michigan. That's what my friends in Seattle say.

Billfisto

I think it makes perfect sense. The reason Barry became savatar was because everyone treated him like shit because he wasn't Barry. Barry hoped to fix that by showing him that they can make things work and he could belong there.

I loved the season. I don't get why people have so many issues with it.

Does it seem in-character for everyone to treat SaviBarry like shit?

There are basically three potential options for why that would be the case.
  1. Everyone understandably acts awkward around SaviBarry, because that would be awkward, but he is "damaged" and takes it personally, lashing out.
  2. SaviBarry is "damaged" and does something bad, causing everyone to legitimately shun him.
  3. Terrible writing. In a world where everyone is empathetic and used to duplicates because they've met doppelgangers from other dimensions, they just hate SaviBarry for no reason.

Cases 1 and 2 make sense, because that one scene with Barry, SaviBarry, and Iris was really skeevy and had me questioning how they could all co-exist, but Iris would've been dead in the SaviBarry future, negating that particular catalyst.

Case 3 makes the most sense to me, given that the writers didn't bother explaining how SaviBarry gave people their powers or controlled Julien.

Am I the only one who's hoping for a Council of Wells in Season 4?

Nah you aren't the only one. I want one too!

If savitarr dies shouldn't Wally lose his powers.

I don't know anymore. Maybe the Speed Force finally decided he was capable of being a Speedster and gave him powers permanently.

The show constantly makes up their own Speed Force rules but rarely reinforce it. It's just whatever you think is canon in your head.

Barry fucks up time willy-nilly, and he gets to go to Speedster Heaven. Wally and Jay, meanwhile, get to go to Speedster Hell because Barry played fast and loose with time. Seems fair?

Regginator

Does one age in the Speed Force? Maybe we'll see Barry like this in season 4

12276871_538005193020696_326808824_n.jpg

lol

Skux

They completely wasted the flashpoint plot
They could had an entire season revolving around it

No, they couldn't have. You can't take the characters that audiences have spent seasons getting to know and love and then suddenly upend all of it for an extended period of time. You would be expecting them to enjoy a completely different show.

Magwik

Banned
No, they couldn't have. You can't take the characters that audiences have spent seasons getting to know and love and then suddenly upend all of it for an extended period of time. You would be expecting them to enjoy a completely different show.
But they already did that with emo Cisco and meta Caitlyn and a new Wells
Heyoo

Skux

But they already did that with emo Cisco and meta Caitlyn and a new Wells
Heyoo

Emo Cisco only existed for a few episodes.

Wells was an entirely different character from an alternate Earth, a concept that audiences were already familiar with and willing to accept.

Killer Frost's alternate person and her motivations were handled poorly, but the idea that Flashpoint changed things in the main timeline was given enough explanation.

Jonogunn

I remember when thy first introduced HR it felt like a dumb idea.

Who would of thought he would become the casts best character this season.

Cafeman

I'm gonna watch the finale again this weekend. On first (live) watch, I found it a disappointing ending to a disappointing season 3. I did enjoy how Savitar Bear seemed to be changing and accepting of his once friends - then I LOL'd when I realized he'd punked the team completely. I liked the forest scenario, and I really got a charge when Jay Garrick came blasting out of the speed force unexpectedly!

So many little thing bugged me about this ep. I didn't buy for 1 second that Iris was actually dead so there was little drama there. I don't like how time is running out and everybody is standing around doing their CW drama conversations. And I don't understand how Iris shot an already-speeded-up Savitar Barry! He had already started to move towards Barry Prime. She shouldn't have had time to pull the trigger let alone the bullet hit him right? Wasn't there an episode in a prior season where Barry got shot in the back of the neck, but just as it touched his skin he speeded up and averted the death?

I didn't like the Speed Force demanding somebody for its stupid SF prison and it calling as Barry's mom. Its like The Flash just can't win but is doomed to tragedy in this series. Cut it out!

ZeroX03

Banned
HR was great, but the team has had harder losses, and they honored him with a funeral. Featuring every person he's ever met on Earth 1 ;).

Nobody cares about Henry or Nora, they hated Eobard before he died, Ronnie already died once and was only around for a few episodes

Face it, HR's death is the most devastating in the entire Arrowverse

It's kind of disgusting how quickly the team got over the death of HR, their MVP.

It really is ;_;

The dude was what lit the room up! Then they just move on like it was nothing. The same goes for Iris for shooting one version of her husband in the back. For her it was just another tuesday.

Also.... Does nobody care about what just happened to Barry Allen? I'm talking about the citizens in front of STAR Labs btw. Sure, let's just all willy nilly go out and watch the Speed Force Storm without our disguises. To hell with it! What about the safer and more calm citizens who could have perhaps saw them all interacting with the Speed Force?

Or am I to assume that the citizens of Vancouver just don't give any fucks and would rather want to escape from the lightning bolts? Is it just another night in Vancouver for them?

LotusHD

Banned
It's kind of disgusting how quickly the team got over the death of HR, their MVP.

I mean, they did give him a funeral. Also it's Barry's fault, making it all about him immediately after said funeral with his whole stupid Speed Force nonsense.

The dude was what lit the room up! Then they just move on like it was nothing. The same goes for Iris for shooting one version of her husband in the back. For her it was just another tuesday.

Now this is what got me fucked up, didn't know Iris had it in her, much less not really making any fuss about it afterwards...

Blader

That finale was a bit of nonsense.

I've been hot and cold on this season and was thinking of dropping the show, but that ending is at least a great jumping off point.

Now this is what got me fucked up, didn't know Iris had it in her, much less not really making any fuss about it afterwards...

Lol. Then they just laughed it off near the ending. If I was Barry, I should probably have a backup plan in case she goes rogue or in case she gets meta powers. Just saiyan.

jwk94

What did HR tell Barry to tell Cisco?

It really is ;_;

The dude was what lit the room up! Then they just move on like it was nothing. The same goes for Iris for shooting one version of her husband in the back. For her it was just another season finale.
Fixed.

Also.... Does nobody care about what just happened to Barry Allen? I'm talking about the citizens in front of STAR Labs btw. Sure, let's just all willy nilly go out and watch the Speed Force Storm without our disguises. To hell with it! What about the safer and more calm citizens who could have perhaps saw them all interacting with the Speed Force?

Or am I to assume that the citizens of Vancouver just don't give any fucks and would rather want to escape from the lightning bolts? Is it just another night in Vancouver for them?

In a moment like that, everyone's too worried about their own lives to watch what a group of people are doing off in the distance. Hell, they might not even have been aware of what was going on to Team Flash. Seeing those people falling down was funny as hell though.

What did HR tell Barry to tell Cisco?

Fixed.

In a moment like that, everyone's too worried about their own lives to watch what a group of people are doing off in the distance. Hell, they might not even have been aware of what was going on to Team Flash. Seeing those people falling down was funny as hell though.

I think HR just wanted Barry to tell Crisco that he was proud of him or something? Something along those lines.

True but there has to be one person who caught it all on a iphone or galaxy. The citizens of Vancouver have seen some shit haven't they?

I'm glad Iris didn't die, and I'm fine with H.R. being the sacrificial lamb. There were death flags for him all season anyway, and they were setting up his heroic moment basically since he first joined the team.

That being said, the finale was really ham fisted and had contradiction after contradiction. The only other thing I think they got (mostly) right was that Barry had to pay his penance by entering the speed force. (Yet his speed force prison is some dreamy heaven where he gets to be with his mother?? That's dumb.) Anyway, I hope the next season will reflect a bit on this season's missteps. I didn't hate it as much as some others, but it definitely had a lot of rough spots.

P.S. Cisco and Gypsy are not enjoyable together. They are really trying to make them a thing, but I see no spark in their scenes at all.

- J - D -

Cisco, reverse engineer this thing so that it can make me omnipotent throughout space and time. OR ELSE.

OKAY I'LL DO IT.

NO INSTEAD IT'S A SPEEDFORCE SKELETON KEY THAT WILL FREE JAY INSTEAD. GOTCHA!

They just don't care anymore in regards to the extent to which Cisco can something magical.

It seemed a slightly messy finale, leaping from scene to scene rather than flowing all that organically.

It doesn't matter if we think Barry serving time is silly, we know he'll be back next season, as will a new Wells. On balance, I'm looking forward to next season. but the wait won't be as painful as the cliffhanger really isn't as "OMG what happens next" as Seasons 1 and 2.

I like that HR got to go out on a heroic note and I look forward to Tom Cavanaugh's next take on the character (if there is to be one). Is Tom Felton sticking around next season? Are they going to prune back the cast like they have for Arrow?

Lol. Then they just laughed it off near the ending. If I was Barry, I should probably have a backup plan in case she goes rogue or in case she gets meta powers. Just saiyan.

Barry: How are you holding up after having to kill my other self?

Iris: I'll probably feel bad about it later. Tee hee!

Also, I feel bad for Malfoy. He looked so full of hope whenever Caitlin came to the funeral, but she shut that shit down quick.

jb1234

I like Felton but I feel like his character lost the vast majority of his personality once he became the love interest. He got Mon-El'd!

Top Bottom