• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Blink 182 songs

here are the new songs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzGWrQpp-8Q

0:00 - parking lot
2:46 - misery
6:37 - good old days
10:00 - don't mean anything
12:46 -hey I'm sorry
16:42 - last train home
20:03 - wildfire
23:07 - 6/8
26:56 - long lost feeling
29:59 - bottom of the ocean
33:28 - can't get you more pregnant
34:02 - bored to death (acoustic)

my favorite is good old days

Oshimai

Despite his controversial departure, Blink isn't Blink without Tom.

After listening to those songs... honestly, I think San Diego is the only good song new Blink has released.

I like almost all of California Deluxe.
Definitely a top album.

Still, why are the most rad songs the shortest? Brohemian Rhapsody has an AMAZING set up and then poop. lol

6/8 is my favorite of the new bunch. It features very heavy guitars, some intricate Travis drumming that isn't just insanely fast and long fills, and the catchiest chorus with the least cringey lyrics.

Kamek

Thanks for posting.

I miss Tom, but the new songs aren't bad. I still miss Tom's voice/influence on the band.

Google

After listening to those songs... honestly, I think San Diego is the only good song new Blink has released.

I think you're bang on with both of these statements.

I think San Diego is the best thing this incarnation of Blink has put together and there are a few other good songs on the album but overall it's a pretty safe, rock album.

Yeah.. I saw them, I don't know, 6 months ago? And the songs that were Tom-heavy just sound.. wrong without him. Some of the new stuff is fine and good, but it's missing something.

Arcteryx

Yeah.. I saw them, I don't know, 6 months ago? And the songs that were Tom-heavy just sound.. wrong without him. Some of the new stuff is fine and good, but it's missing something.

Yea I saw them last year and all of the old stuff...just sounded off. New stuff is ok, but it ain't Blink.

Not really a fan of how the released California, but I'm glad I held off on buying the original release. I like almost all the songs on the original album and the new deluxe songs, too. I'm surprised they didn't just take the Deluxe songs, record a few more and release another full album in a year or two.

Like California, half of them are pretty good. I plan on condensing California and California Deluxe into like a 12 song Spotify Playlist.

I think if they ditch Feldman (their producer on the album with a questionable portfolio and who told them to cut their previous songs and write as many songs as fast as possible, while clearly insisting on over producing their vocals) and take their time with a follow up it could be great.

Regardless Matt Skiba is better than modern day Tom.

Zyae

Its because Tom and Mark were always a contrast with one another, Matt and Mark sound too similar for those songs to work.

I'm surprised so many seem to think this doesn't sound like old Blink. It's not exactly the same, I guess, but it feels a helluva lot more like Blink 182 to me than Neighborhoods.

Arc

Can we not have another blink thread with people wishing Tom was back? He's gone. And his voice is long gone. Let him chase his aliens it's time to move on.

Anyways while technically not new Hey, I'm Sorry is probably my favorite of the bunch. Glad they decided to release all of these.

I hope Matt playing with Blink isn't the reason why its been years since a new Alk3 album :(

I swear My Shame is True feels like it just came out. Crazy that it's already been 4 years.

The new songs are decent, but not quite as good as the original release. California is a really fun album, significantly better than anything Blink had done post their self titled album. I think Matt is a better change; less drama and more in line with the type of music Mark excels at.

Google

I think if they ditch Feldman (their producer on the album with a questionable portfolio)

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

What are you talking about?

Feldman is the lead singer and guitarist of Goldfinger, one of the best ska/punk/rock bands of the last 25 years.

Feldman has also produced dozens of records over the past 10-15 years and has sold more than 50 million records.

What about his portfolio is questionable to you? He's worked with all manner of artists from The Used to Hilary Duff to Avicii to ONE OK ROCK to 5 seconds to summer.

oo7

Did you listen to Neighborhoods or Dogs Eating Dogs? Tom isn't Tom anymore, so I think the notion that Blink isn't Blink without Tom should be thrown out of the window. I'll take Californication over those 2 albums any day of the week. Also, all of the deluxe songs are better than the original California songs.

Google

Did you listen to Neighborhoods or Dogs Eating Dogs? Tom isn't Tom anymore, so I think the notion that Blink isn't Blink without Tom should be thrown out of the window. I'll take Californication over those 2 albums any day of the week. Also, all of the deluxe songs are better than the original California songs.

Mate; it's not about Tom's voice. It's about his energy. Have you watched the Ernie Ball documentary they did on him? He's infectious and he's a big reason I gave a shit about Blink.

Hydrus

Agree. Only song I liked with decent lyrics. Seriously, these guy are gonna have to hire someone to write for them because they have the worst lyrics I've ever heard. They write like they're in middle school.

Google

I couldn't come up with a large pool of producers that I know but how about Ocasek?

So you're not OK with a myriad of colourful, uptempo, aggressive pop/punk records that Feldman has done over the last decade but you are OK with the worst Weezer albums?

Yeah I really really didn't like California and I don't like these. I just don't find Mark's voice or his songwriting as interesting. I think he worked well bouncing off Tom.

oo7

Mate; it's not about Tom's voice. It's about his energy. Have you watched the Ernie Ball documentary they did on him? He's infectious and he's a big reason I gave a shit about Blink.

Did you see any of their post reunion shows? The reunion was a paycheck for Tom. Nothing more. +44 Blink is much better than AVA Blink

Google

Did you see any of their post reunion shows? The reunion was a paycheck for Tom. Nothing more. +44 Blink is much better than AVA Blink

Completely disagree.

+44 had their moments. Honestly, this performance with Travis drumming with one arm and the rest of the guys going fucking mental is majestic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYYkQmiY-I

It's a shame they only sound like this twice on that entire album. They never sound this raw, they never have this energy, the rest of the album is like a b-side for Blink 182's self titled.

As for AVA - I'm into them. It's not Blink. It's nothing like Blink. But I like the sounds they make and honestly, late at night, driving home from work, it's a great driving tune.

Plus Tom can still occasionally do this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNkPm8haFCc
(skip to 3.30 to go past his enjoyable talking)

I hope Matt playing with Blink isn't the reason why its been years since a new Alk3 album :(

Agreed. I'd much prefer Alk3 than this. These are not good (except 6/8 is interesting. San Diego was good too on the original album). Sucks because Skiba is the man.

I saw one of Blink's final shows with Tom at a festival and it was atrocious, cringeworthy and embarrassing - I haven't seen any live videos of Skiba + Blink but I'm sure they're better off.

Arthos

Saw them live and Matt is just fine. I personally liked California and the bonus songs but I can see why others wouldn't. Still a better album than Neighborhoods.

Glad to see some love for San Diego. I love that song and was so happy they performed it live when I watched them.

Google

I feel like the argument against Tom's singing misses the point a little bit.

Tom was never a good singer. He was always whiny. That was the point. There was some semblance of producing value on the CDs that made him sound less so but he's always been 'bad' live.

Is there an argument to say that Matt is a better singer? Sure.

Is there an argument to say that Matt is a better member of the band Blink 182? I dont think so.

The argument between Travis and Scott is a little more nuanced. Their drummers. Their input is arguably less pronounced than the lead singer and guitarist but there are certain sections of YouTube comments that will defend Scott to the death. Especially when you compare Scott's original rendition of Mutt to Travis' album version.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I miss the Mark and Tom harmonies but it's done. Tom lost it both musically and mentally.

Matt sounds so good on the new stuff. California wasn't perfect but so many great tracks. I'm hoping for something more experimental like the self-titled on the next album though.

Hydrus

The chemistry between Tom and the other guy's is gone. It's pretty clear they don't like each other and Tom's heart isn't into Blink anymore. I remember watching this show they did and Mark and Tom trying to joke with one another got super awkward fast. The look on Mark's face was basically " This reunion was a mistake". That's when I knew the Blink I grew up with was done forever.

I think you're bang on with both of these statements.

I think San Diego is the best thing this incarnation of Blink has put together and there are a few other good songs on the album but overall it's a pretty safe, rock album.
Are you guys serious? The chorus of San Diego is embarrassing af.

Dishwalla

Banned
Aside from Bored to Death Acoustic(which is a boring song in the first place, sorry), Cali Deluxe is really good, and better than the original album by quite a bit, and I liked California.

Top Bottom