• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duxxy3

I don't know what you guys are talking about.

I never said anything about the Saints Signing Butler. I said that the Saints will trade the first round pick acquired from the Cooks trade to get Butler, essentially restoring the Asterisks Pick.The trade not going down at the same time (which admittedly, is how I thought it WOULD happen) is irrelevant.

Butler has a first round tender on him, so by whatever hook or crook the Asterisks are getting a first for him. Which first is that? Theirs, the 32 pick in the draft.

The Saints are not giving up the 11th pick in the draft.

I doubt they do.

But I don't think the 32nd alone is enough. The Saints will need to throw in something else. Just enough to not rock the boat with the NFLPA and the league. Otherwise it will look like the player and teams were negotiating a trade that they shouldn't have been talking about.

Deacon

ldJZ0.gif

Tom Penny

April 21 is deadline for offer sheets. There is still another month for teams to sign restricted free agents to an offer sheet, which sets up the possibility that Butler's status isn't resolved until that time, and perhaps longer. If the Saints signed Butler to an offer sheet, and the Patriots didn't match, New Orleans would lose the No. 11 overall pick in the draft to New England. It is hard to imagine the Saints would be willing to part with the 11th pick.

Would Patriots be open to a different scenario? Because an offer sheet for Butler projects as a longshot, another possibility is that the sides could discuss a trade for lesser compensation (e.g. the No. 32 overall pick). Given the strong relations between Saints coach Sean Payton and Patriots coach Bill Belichick, this seems like the most likely scenario if Butler ends up moving on (Payton was complimentary of Butler after his visit). There doesn't appear to be major urgency from the Patriots in this area at this time. Perhaps that changes closer to the draft at the end of April.

Butler still hasn't signed tender. The Patriots gave Butler a first-round tender, at $3.91 million. Until Butler signs the tender, no trade could be executed.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
When you listen to KMT from the new Drake album and have visions of the 2017-2018 Detroit Lions dominating teams with our new offensive line and elite QB play

Crazy-fans-war-face.gif

When you listen to Portland from the new Drake album and have visions of the 2017-2018 Cleve Browns dominating teams with our new offensive line and elite Kessler.
544ebb34cd4f7752133b37d73822b555.368x208x120.gif

When you listen to Portland from the new Drake album and have visions of the 2017-2018 Eagles dominating teams with our new WR and elite Wentz.

when+white+people+dance+at+the+club_2f3700_4040954.gif

dionysus

Yaldog
Saints fan here. People always underestimate the value of picks. In the current CBA 4+1 years of a 1st rounder is so valuable under a salary cap. I saw it on the Saints side during the Cooks rumors, people expecting us to get upper half 1st rounders + 3rd rounders. In reality, the 32nd pick from the Pats is probably as good as it gets, and even then I think it only got done because the two organizations have a history with dealing with each other.

For Butler, I expect the most the Pats can get is the 32nd pick. Even then I would say that is likely overpaying seeing as you are giving up 4+1 years of control of a first rounder for 1 year of control of Butler.

Blockbuster trades just don't happen with 1st round picks very often. Really you only see it pick for pick, not pick for player.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I've never heard anything about having to give up your original first round pick. Source?

This is a very good question, and I cannot find an answer. Although most media analysis is talking about the Saints original pick. Not that that should be gospel.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This is a very good question, and I cannot find an answer. Although most media analysis is talking about the Saints original pick. Not that that should be gospel.

That's the rule. It's basically in place so teams don't just trade down and make the pick less valuable.

Pepiope

wahhhhhh?! there's only one truth. Put some respeck on his name.

http://theledgesports.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/pierce.jpg[/mg][/QUOTE]
The guy who faked an injury that one game? A lot of faking and cheating going on with Boston/New England.

When you listen to the new Drake and tell your teacher before a Test "watch out for me, I'm about to gloooow"...

....But you walk out the classroom crying.
2H94BWP.gif

I've got a lot riding on our Cleve friend. Kessler gonna tear up the league
Don't bet too much....

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
That's the rule. It's basically in place so teams don't just trade down and make the pick less valuable.

I think you're right, found it in the cba "its own or better choices in the applicable rounds"

Hindl

When you listen to the new Drake and tell your teacher before a Test "watch out for me, I'm about to gloooow"...

....But you walk out the classroom crying.
2H94BWP.gif

Don't bet too much....

I just have a friendly wager with a friend that the Browns will make it to 10-6 by the end of the 2020 season. Only thing on the line is 4 pizzas the loser has to buy the winner

While I agree that's the most likely scenario (the only one IMO) if a trade is to go down, the pats still hold all the leverage here. The idea that the saints can just sign him to more than the pats are willing to pay doesn't mean much since the pats would receive the 11th in return and obviously the saints won't part with that. The only way this gets done is if the pats are happy with the deal presented. Or if the saints are stupid and are willing to overpay AND give up the 11th

I doubt the Saints are stupid enough to give Cooks away to the Asterisks, and not have a verbal commitment to how the Butler deal will go down. (They could be that stupid, but I doubt it). As that article Mech posted said, the sticking point isn't the pick, it's the money split.

I doubt they do.

But I don't think the 32nd alone is enough. The Saints will need to throw in something else. Just enough to not rock the boat with the NFLPA and the league. Otherwise it will look like the player and teams were negotiating a trade that they shouldn't have been talking about.

They surely will. What's being talked about is a 4th round pick. Ingram though? :jnc.

Again, source? Not that I don't believe you, i've just never seen that anywhere.

bionic77

Wow Xenoblade 2 might actually launch in the West in 2017. Didn't see that coming
Big ass Mario game and a portable Xenoblade at the same fucking time?

Nintendo going to kill people with that amount of servicing. Yes we want to be serviced but this is going too far!

/calls Reggie and tells him to put a warning on the boxes warning of the excessive servicing and to take appropriate precautions for the same...

Hindl

I do t believe it

When they first announced it I didn't either. Especially because between 1 and X was 4 years, and they've been spending the last year on BotW. But they said it was coming this year, then it came out last week that they were doing final recordings for the soundtrack (which is usually done near the end of development) and Nintendo UK just reconfirmed 2017 today. They wouldn't say 2017 if it was Japan only, and I think at this point they wouldn't keep pushing that date if it was going to slip. We'll see though

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I doubt the Saints are stupid enough to give Cooks away to the Asterisks, and not have a verbal commitment to how the Butler deal will go down. (They could be that stupid, but I doubt it). As that article Mech posted said, the sticking point isn't the pick, it's the money split.

They surely will. What's being talked about is a 4th round pick. Ingram though? :jnc.

Again, source? Not that I don't believe you, i've just never seen that anywhere.

A 1st and 3rd for a wr that wasn't happy and wanted out isn't getting fleeced really. The source is the CBA as posted above.

Duxxy3

Saints fan here. People always underestimate the value of picks. In the current CBA 4+1 years of a 1st rounder is so valuable under a salary cap. I saw it on the Saints side during the Cooks rumors, people expecting us to get upper half 1st rounders + 3rd rounders. In reality, the 32nd pick from the Pats is probably as good as it gets, and even then I think it only got done because the two organizations have a history with dealing with each other.

For Butler, I expect the most the Pats can get is the 32nd pick. Even then I would say that is likely overpaying seeing as you are giving up 4+1 years of control of a first rounder for 1 year of control of Butler.

Blockbuster trades just don't happen with 1st round picks very often. Really you only see it pick for pick, not pick for player.

I'd rather have 1 year of Butler+Gilmore than Rowe+Gilmore and a first round pick. Can always work out a deal later in the year, or tag him next year. 32nd pick just isn't enough for a #1 corner. Even if he only has 1 year left.

The only reason there is any discussion still happening is because Belichick and Payton are friends.

I'd rather have 1 year of Butler+Gilmore than Rowe+Gilmore and a first round pick. Can always work out a deal later in the year, or tag him next year. 32nd pick just isn't enough for a #1 corner. Even if he only has 1 year left.

The only reason there is any discussion still happening is because Belichick and Payton are friends.

Have you been paying attention to this draft? People are saying you can get starting quality CBs as far as the third round.

Duxxy3

Have you been paying attention to this draft? People are saying you can get starting quality CBs as far as the third round.

I'd rather have the certainty of butler. There's no guarantee that Tom is playing after this year. The Pats have had OK luck recently with drafting corners, but for every Ryan and Harmon we get a Jordan Richards and Tavon Wilson.

I'd rather stick with the known quantity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom