• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laytons Mystery Journey |OT| iOS/Android now, 3DS JP only until Fall

jonno394

Wait what the fuck is with this shitty pricing?

$15.99 (iOS/Android)
£15.99 (iOS), £17.99 (Android)

Way more expensive than the US and even more expensive on Android?

FUCK THIS SHIT.

I wouldn't say iOS is "way more expensive" the us price translates to about £15 when you include VAT. However the android price being that much higher is bullshit.

I have a cheap android phone (ZTE Obsidian), will I be able to run this game? The only game I really played on my phone was Brave Exvius and it ran fine.

I have a cheap android phone (ZTE Obsidian), will I be able to run this game? The only game I really played on my phone was Brave Exvius and it ran fine.

My phone is not compatible so if I search the game on the store, it doesn't appear. If I use a direct link, I can acess the page but it says the app is not compatible with my phone. Actually it is the first time it happens for me, this game seems quite demanding.

Ookay, finally bite the bullet and bought the game, but I can't install it :/ I use Android, and the play store only says "Cannot download..... Error Code: 495"

Anyone got the error?

I tried googling the problem and the first few results said to delete play store services data or logging out my Google account from device. I'm too lazy to log out, and in my experience clearing data/cache tend to bring more headache later down the road especially with Google apps :/

(Using OnePlus 3 with official ROM, 7.1.1)

Zafir

Wait what the fuck is with this shitty pricing?

$15.99 (iOS/Android)
£15.99 (iOS), £17.99 (Android)

Way more expensive than the US and even more expensive on Android?

FUCK THIS SHIT.

Yeah, I've not bought it cos of it. Not paying some stupid Android tax.

JeTmAn81

This game works so well on a phone screen. Is there any possibility of putting the previous Layton games on phones as well? I already played them but it would be great to open them up to a new audience. I'm not sure if they'd need to recreate the art assets.

WonderzL

Banned
This game works so well on a phone screen. Is there any possibility of putting the previous Layton games on phones as well? I already played them but it would be great to open them up to a new audience. I'm not sure if they'd need to recreate the art assets.
I think it's possible, yes. It all depends on the performance of this one. Btw I agree with you, I can't go back to the old ones anymore. It works great on a smartphone, and I'm one of those people that hate smartphone games

jonno394

I think it's possible, yes. It all depends on the performance of this one. Btw I agree with you, I can't go back to the old ones anymore. It works great on a smartphone, and I'm one of those people that hate smartphone games

It's my first mobile game purchase, and the 3 hours i've put in is actually longer than i've played every other free game i've tried combined.

I might have to check out the Phoenix Wright mobile games now!

duckroll

Cleared half the game so far. About 15+ hours in. The episodic style of the narrative is both hit and miss. I appreciate the variety in the stories and the different settings, but it does feel less satisfying because of the way each case forces you into fixed areas of the map. The stories are kinda silly too. While they have been building up the Seven Dragons in the background through the individual cases, the larger picture is moving so slowly it barely inches forward at all. I'm guessing it'll start to move faster after clearing all the individual cases each Dragon has for you.

This definitely scratches the Layton itch though. It's perfect for phones and it captures most of the things I like about Layton.

I doubt this will happen simply because Nintendo handled the localization and publishing for all the previous games outside of Japan. Unfortunately.

jonno394

How is the content of this one compared to the (3)DS Layton games?

Are there many puzzles?

The description on the Android store states

· The largest collection of puzzles in any Layton Series title
· Bonus! Daily puzzles delivered directly to your mobile device

So if you're assuming the "bonus daily puzzles" statement is separate from the "largest collection of puzzles" statement, then LMJ single player campaign should have more than 155 puzzles, which Last Spectre had and is the largest so far.

http://layton.wikia.com/wiki/Puzzles

duckroll

So if you're assuming the "bonus daily puzzles" statement is separate from the "largest collection of puzzles" statement, then LMJ single player campaign should have more than 155 puzzles, which Last Spectre had and is the largest so far.

http://layton.wikia.com/wiki/Puzzles

I've completed the first 6 Cases, and I've gotten all the puzzles in every Case. The Puzzle Index is showing 83 so far. Since there are 12 Cases in total, it's tracking towards 160+ puzzles.

WonderzL

Banned
The one thing that doesn't feel better than the 3DS versions (let's count this as a 3DS Layton game, not a DS one) is the magnifying glass imo. It is more precise in the 3DS, but that was expected considering stylus etc

WonderzL

Banned
I've completed the first 6 Cases, and I've gotten all the puzzles in every Case. The Puzzle Index is showing 83 so far. Since there are 12 Cases in total, it's tracking towards 160+ puzzles.
Does it get better puzzles later in the game? The first ones are rather........simple?

duckroll

Does it get better puzzles later in the game? The first ones are rather........simple?

Simplicity isn't really the problem with the puzzles here. It's very much down to design. Akira Tago (RIP) is clearly far more experienced and talented at coming up with satisfying puzzles than his new guy. The puzzles aren't awful, and there are some pretty nice ones here and there (usually the optional hidden ones) but I feel that a lot of them fall into very similar tricks that get old after awhile.

Another thing that doesn't work as well is that I think there's too much of an attempt to be "clever" with how puzzles are presented, and they actually feel stupid sometimes because of that. There's a much more disciplined design methodology in the previous Layton games, where there are puzzle "series" within the game and you encounter progressively more challenging versions of those types of puzzles as you progress. There doesn't seem to be the same concept here in the main story, but that's sort of how the Daily Puzzles are designed. Odd decision imo.

WonderzL

Banned
Simplicity isn't really the problem with the puzzles here. It's very much down to design. Akira Tago (RIP) is clearly far more experienced and talented at coming up with satisfying puzzles than his new guy. The puzzles aren't awful, and there are some pretty nice ones here and there (usually the optional hidden ones) but I feel that a lot of them fall into very similar tricks that get old after awhile.

Another thing that doesn't work as well is that I think there's too much of an attempt to be "clever" with how puzzles are presented, and they actually feel stupid sometimes because of that. There's a much more disciplined design methodology in the previous Layton games, where there are puzzle "series" within the game and you encounter progressively more challenging versions of those types of puzzles as you progress. There doesn't seem to be the same concept here in the main story, but that's sort of how the Daily Puzzles are designed. Odd decision imo.
I noticed that! I hope they can recover for the sequel. Losing a legend like Akira Tago clearly hurt the series. :(

Yeah, until now I found more puzzles than I would have liked where the answer boiled down to "0/None, there was a trick". It's fine every now and then, but it seems to be the answer most of the times.

JeTmAn81

Yeah, until now I found more puzzles than I would have liked where the answer boiled down to "0/None, there was a trick". It's fine every now and then, but it seems to be the answer most of the times.

I've been hating the trick question ones because so much of the time those boil down to semantics and how much you think the game is going to lean on that for this particular puzzle.

WonderzL

Banned
I've been hating the trick question ones because so much of the time those boil down to semantics and how much you think the game is going to lean on that for this particular puzzle.
I think this series has always done that, but it was always exceptions. This time it seems to be more of a rule

takoyaki

Trick questions in Layton games are like mimics in Souls games. I love it when they show up occasionally and actually manage to surprise you. But if they show up too frequently, your first instinct will be to approach every puzzle/chest like it could be a trick question/mimic and they lose what makes them so effective.

jonno394

So, the UK Google play store is showing the 1000 downloads badge, is that 1000 minimum in just the UK or all of Europe?

duckroll

I think this series has always done that, but it was always exceptions. This time it seems to be more of a rule

The series has always had trick questions, but the trick questions used to have answers which you actually had to think in a unique way to get. Here the pattern is that if you are getting trolled, the answer is usually the ultimate minimum - either 0 or 1 or whatever literal minimum in the logic. It's a lazy way of trolling people and doesn't feel satisfying imo.

So, the UK Google play store is showing the 1000 downloads badge, is that 1000 minimum in just the UK or all of Europe?

It should be all of Europe unfortunately. There are 4 versions of the game on the Play Store: LaytonMJ, LaytonMJNA, LaytonMJEU, and LaytonMJKR. Each should have a proper counter for ever purchase of that version.

munroe

It would probably have been higher had they not priced it a) more expensive than the $ value, and b) hadn't priced it higher than the iOS version

It would probably have been higher had they not priced it a) more expensive than the $ value, and b) hadn't priced it higher than the iOS version
I mean, most people wouldn't even know about the price of the other platform. I think it's merely a question of price and marketing (which is pretty much absent)-

Gradly

I played a bit but I was disappointed by the graphics. On promo material it looked great but by playing it, on iPhone Plus, it doesn't seem like been optimized for retina displays, on iPad it looks even worse.

I like the music though

duckroll

Puzzle 101 has a real garbage text explanation. It's misleading and not in a tricky way, more like a bad use of English way. :(

takoyaki

more reviews are out, MC stands at 73 right now

Metro UK 7/10
Over time the games' presentation has become more elaborate (while still maintaining an art style that looks like a lost episode of Around the World with Willy Fog) and many of the puzzles more interactive and video-gamey. Although sadly Akira Tago, the man behind many of the puzzles in the original games, has passed away and there is a sense that his successors sometimes lack the same level of inspiration and logic-based slight of hand.

The overall standard of the puzzles is still very good though and Layton's Mystery Journey has hundreds in total. These encompass the usual range of maths conundrums, logic puzzles, sliding block games, board game variants, pattern-matching brainteasers, word games, and optical illusions. Some are just minor variations on each other, particularly the optional ones outside of the main story path, but the amount of variety is still impressive.

EGM 6.5/10
Katrielle Layton takes the stage as a brand-new puzzle-solving star. With twelve short cases to solve, Katrielle's adventures are ideal for those who want to solve a quick puzzle, though somewhat lacking for fans that enjoy the build-up and twists of past Layton games.

Trusted Reviews 3.5/5
This is a good start to a new generation of Layton mysteries, but maybe not a great one. While the characters and dialogue are charming, there's an awful lot to wade through, and it would be nice to see the puzzles more upfront. What's more, this feels like an introduction, without the more epic globe-trotting, enigma-solving spirit of adventure of the last few Layton games.

DualShockers 7.5/10
There's is so much content in Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy which justifies the one-time purchase. Even though this is clearly a game for another platform, it can pass as a console quality game on your mobile phone. With the less interesting puzzles aside, the difference between the two series is clear and I appreciate Level-5  for making something different that can potentially begin a new series of games in this universe, albeit more light hearted than the original Layton series.

Lusankya

Puzzle 101 has a real garbage text explanation. It's misleading and not in a tricky way, more like a bad use of English way. :(

Yupp, same bullshit in the German version. How can they even write that second hint without realizing they contradict themselves?

Haunted

I think the puzzle quality isn't all that in this one. So many trick questions that just completely circumvent the original question.

I also agree with that review saying it doesn't have the same adventurous spirit and enigmatic core of other Layton games, which are kinda key to the experience for me.

I must say, even if it's a competently produced game (music, presentation, UI, etc), so far it's a bit of a disappointment.

Yupp, same bullshit in the German version. How can they even write that second hint without realizing they contradict themselves?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the hint is actually wrong.
It says that it get to the ladder from the right, but that's not true.
Actually, there was another puzzle which had a wrong explanation:
the first one with the password said that it had 2 As, 2 Bs, 2 Cs, but that wasn't true.

wrowa

Yeah, I share those frustrations. The more I play it the less I like it. Puzzle design is mediocre - there are quite a few bad puzzles but in comparison not many standouts - and while I liked the idea of small, mostly self-contained cases the execution isn't as good as I hoped for. The mysteries behind the cases aren't terribly intriguing and their flow isn't really satisfying. It feels like the cases are solved by lucky coincidences instead of any real detective work by Layton. Solving cases based on intuition is apparently supposed to be her shtick, but that doesn't make for a very compelling story.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Did anyone buy the Japanese version and try the language options?

Does it have audio japanese / text english?

I'll need this info before pulling the purchase trigger.

Edit: The EU iOS store version shows english, spanish, dutch, italian, japanese, korean, french, german as language options.

duckroll

I finished 8 cases and unlocked the 9th case. I have some very serious thematic complaints about the way the story is written in every case so far, but I'll finish the game before commenting on it, in case there is some sort of subversion down the line (doubt it).

Did anyone buy the Japanese version and try the language options?

Does it have audio japanese / text english?

I'll need this info before pulling the purchase trigger.

Edit: The EU iOS store version shows english, spanish, dutch, italian, japanese, korean, french, german as language options.

The language setting in the game is a single toggle, so even if the Japanese version supports English, there won't be an option for Japanese voices and English text.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I finished 8 cases and unlocked the 9th case. I have some very serious thematic complaints about the way the story is written in every case so far, but I'll finish the game before commenting on it, in case there is some sort of subversion down the line (doubt it).

The language setting in the game is a single toggle, so even if the Japanese version supports English, there won't be an option for Japanese voices and English text.

Hmmm, I guess I will still opt for the Japanese version to get both. Thank you very much for the info.

duckroll

Hmmm, I guess I will still opt for the Japanese version to get both. Thank you very much for the info.

I said "even if" because I didn't know if it did. I just checked and....

◯対応言語
本アプリの言語は日本語のみに対応しております。その他の言語は選択できませんので、ご注意ください。

The Japanese version on Android ONLY supports Japanese and no other languages.

But...

https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/id1242757451

言語: 日本語、イタリア語、オランダ語、スペイン語、ドイツ語、フランス語、英語、韓国語

The iOS version seems to have all languages.

aravuus

I liked the second one, but it's a damn shame to hear the trick questions are all essentially the same and the quality of the puzzles is otherwise fairly low too, at least compared to earlier games.

Maybe I should just dump the DS entries and play them on an emulator whenever I feel like doing some puzzle solving during break time at work or something.

Top Bottom