• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dice 2013: Thatgamecompany was bankrupt when they shipped Journey

I dont get it, sorry. They only made Flow and Flower before Journey. Both those games are unique, what is wrong with the creativety in those games?

You are responding to the guy whose tag used to be, "will gladly bend over and grab ankles for Microsoft." Think that explains everything.

test_account

XP-39C²
People are still upset that Journey won GAF GotY.
That is fair enough i think since Journey isnt a game for everyone. I was more curious about that their games arent creative :) I didnt find Flow to be that entertaining myself (i really enjoyed Flower and Journey), but i'd still categorize the game as something creative. I dont like to be a party pooper on a joke, but i was honestly wondering about it, so i just had to ask.

You are responding to the guy whose tag used to be, "will gladly bend over and grab ankles for Microsoft." Think that explains everything.
Hehe, well, i think that is an old tag, to be fair. From what i've seen of cjelly's later posts, i'm under the impression that he likes all systems.

Duffyside

Banned
So TGC was THIS close to being Superbotted/Lightboxed/EatSleepPlayed/Sanzarued?

Huh. No wonder they didn't want to be stuck with Sony permanently...

test_account

XP-39C²

I dont think it would matter much though. If they are cut lose or leave themself, the end result would be that they are on their own regardless.

It sounds like all of it was their own doing, and either Sony was lenient or TGC paid for it all themselves?

What is "reserve" money? Whose money is that? Does Sony just have a contract, or do they pay for TGC's funds?

adixon

Glad they made it. And it's probably way better in the end if creative, unusual games like these are released for all platforms. It keeps console agendas from shitting up the discussion, which seems to happen without fail (could be wrong, this is just based on personal observation) whenever a tied-down game gets a lot of attention. And actual detailed discussion of Journey is something I find pretty interesting. More so than most games which come out and are 95% their genre's dna.

Jintor

Seriously? A lot of studios would love to be in the same position of complete creative control.

Sure, but you're limited to sales on the PSN platform, whereas by all accounts XBLA and Steam are far better at pushing download sales, and being multi-platform on the download services would be the golden goose.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sure, but you're limited to sales on the PSN platform, whereas by all accounts XBLA and Steam are far better at pushing download sales, and being multi-platform on the download services would be the golden goose.

If people have aspirations of becoming rich beyond their wildest dreams, the videogame industry is not for them. Job security and the reasonable stability becoming a first party branch brings are often considered more golden geese than playing the lottery of "MAYBE WE'LL BE THE NEXT MINECRAFT!!!"

Seems Sony has a real problem with "2nd party" developers. Saying that I don't think there is one single cause. Twisted Metal was a mistake because it was a title stuck in the 90s that had had its day. Maybe the same applies to Sly. Lightbox made a sequel that Warhawk fans didn't want and changed the formula for the worse. PSASBR could have been more successful with more marketing and the game should have been a pack in.

I think Journey was both critically and commercially successful though so I wonder what happened leading up to its release.

Jintor

If people have aspirations of becoming rich beyond their wildest dreams, the videogame industry is not for them. Job security and the reasonable stability becoming a first party branch brings are often considered more golden geese than playing the lottery of "MAYBE WE'LL BE THE NEXT MINECRAFT!!!"

Not exactly job security though is it if they were supposedly bankrupt before their third sponsored game came out? Nonetheless, that wasn't really what I was saying, I was just interested to see what the effects of being locked into Sony's distribution platform were like.

fvng

Glad they made it.

Uhhhhhh, what? It actually IS the same exact situation for all these developers, including TGC. Contracted by Sony to develop a few games, then go separate ways when it was over. And if That Game Company DOES decide to do iOS games then they will literally have gone down the same path as Lightbox and Eat Sleep Play.

The only difference is TGC was wildly successful with their game, meanwhile games like Starhawk, Twisted Metal, and Playstation Battle Royale weren't universally well received. TGC has the fortune of actually being a talented studio.

None of the studios listed were shut down either.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Not exactly job security though is it if they were supposedly bankrupt before their third sponsored game came out? Nonetheless, that wasn't really what I was saying, I was just interested to see what the effects of being locked into Sony's distribution platform were like.

Well yeah, the Sony of the now may not be as forgiving and lenient with throwing out money like a charity as the Sony of the Team Ico Foster-Father program to be found in yore I guess. I dunno how TGC are going to adapt to "going it on their own" with all the stories of their lackadaisical development doing the rounds though.

Yeah, they were obviously entitled to an endless supply of blank checks when they're two years past the promised delivery date.

And Sanzaru? What on earth you going on about? They delivered a game, and presumably got paid for their work. Are you implying that Sony has some obligation to continue paying them after their job is done?

i-Lo

So this game was their final fantasy. Given the game's success, how much did they make back (as a multiplier of the development cost)?

i-Lo

Or he simply made a joke and you're overreacting. Just laugh at the humorous post like the rest of us that enjoyed the game did and move on.

The upside for them is they're no longer limited by Sony.

Afaik, Sony did not have a say in the type of games they wanted to make. So what is the upside beside being able to multiplatform?

i-Lo

2 of the best games of this generation?
I seriously don't know where the backlash is coming from. I thought the studio was unanimously loved.

Nothing is unanimously loved. Some will hate it because of the love majority bestows upon it.

Mondriaan

That email is amazing.

I felt more emotion reading that email than playing the game, but I'm fine with other people getting far more out of the experience that was Journey.

They are going multiplatform and are hoping to use the proceeds from Journey to be free from publisher influence.

Edit: Maybe not multiplat but:
"Right now we are very much exploring ways to bring our games to a bigger audience, beyond just PlayStation," Journey developer Jenova Chen told Push Square.

Where is that quote from?

Wynnebeck

Banned
Or he simply made a joke and you're overreacting. Just laugh at the humorous post like the rest of us that enjoyed the game did and move on.

lol I'm not overreacting or upset. I'm just trying to understand the humor in his comment because I'm not seeing it.

then don't sign the contract that limits you.

find a different publisher.

anyone angling to push the blame onto SONY has an agenda. I'm not saying you jintor but seriously!

Riposte

Wow, they really ruined the character design. What they ended up with was quite ugly, colors aside.

If there really is "GotY backlash" happening with Journey, then it wouldn't really surprise me. I just thought it would happen later than a few months lol.

EDIT: Oh, when people say "GotY backlash" they mean bitterness about it winning? I thought they meant some games lose their luster over time.

Lime

Wow, they really ruined the character design. What they ended up with was quite ugly, colors aside.

I don't know, I much prefer the stylized Mayan-design rather than the realistic Christian-pilgrim one we see in those picture. At least the former compliments the overall visual style of Journey much better.

EDIT: Oh, when people say "GotY backlash" they mean bitterness about it winning? I thought they meant some games lose their luster over time.

I always assumed both.

20cent

Banned
Funny how this game was praised by everyone, especially on GAF... Now all of you seem to say that the game obviously lacked inspiration, creativity and the 1-page-only powerpoint makes sense in that matter...

(ps: I didn't like/enjoyed the game much)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Funny how this game was praised by everyone, especially on GAF... Now all of you seem to say that the game obviously lacked inspiration, creativity and the 1-page-only powerpoint makes sense in that matter...
"All of you"? Really?

Take the time to read the GOTY awards thread which only concluded 2 weeks ago. Just because you have a guy in here making a joke and some people being amused by it (me included) doesn't mean the game is now hated.

Also there is no singular GAF. Even if the majority liked it (and they did or it wouldn't have have won GOTY) doesn't mean everyone did. That it also fine.

Where is that quote from?
Not to tell you how to use the internet or anything but I forgot where it's from. But this is what I did:
Copy pasted the following into my search engine of choice.
"Right now we are very much exploring ways to bring our games to a bigger audience, beyond just PlayStation," Journey developer Jenova Chen told Push Square.

Resulted in: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...oring-bigger-audience-beyond-just-playstation

adixon

Uhhhhhh, what? It actually IS the same exact situation for all these developers, including TGC. Contracted by Sony to develop a few games, then go separate ways when it was over. And if That Game Company DOES decide to do iOS games then they will literally have gone down the same path as Lightbox and Eat Sleep Play.

The only difference is TGC was wildly successful with their game, meanwhile games like Starhawk, Twisted Metal, and Playstation Battle Royale weren't universally well received. TGC has the fortune of actually being a talented studio.

None of the studios listed were shut down either.

Yeah, confusing wording on my part, my bad. That middle part is what I meant by "made it." As in, their game came out and is winning goty awards. I'm also a bit sad that so much of the company went separate ways (I think?) but I'm excited to play what people who worked on it do next.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

No longer limited to do iOS games, yay! Come on, man. You know Journey as it is today wouldn't have existed without Sony.

"All of you"? Really?

Take the time to read the GOTY awards thread which only concluded 2 weeks ago. Just because you have a guy in here making a joke and some people being amused by it (me included) doesn't mean the game is now hated.

Also there is no singular GAF. Even if the majority liked it (and they did or it wouldn't have have won GOTY) doesn't mean everyone did. That it also fine.

Not to tell you how to use the internet or anything but I forgot where it's from. But this is what I did:
Copy pasted the following into my search engine of choice.

Resulted in: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...oring-bigger-audience-beyond-just-playstation

Don't forget MGS4 won GOTY TWICE on GAF and it still has GAF backlash and a vocal minority that says the game is horrible. lol

Top Bottom