• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV heading to iOS soon [Update: DS based, Screenshots]

The post-game dungeon is probably there, but I'm pretty sure you can't change your party in the final dungeon. And if you can, you can't use characters like Palom and Porom.
All the GBA content is in the PSP version, including character swapping. (You don't swap at the final dungeon though, you do it at Mysidia.)

Who wants to use Palom and Porom?
Cecil, Edge, Edward, Rydia, Porom FTW

Oh shoot, it's the DS version! :O

*Sigh* When I read FFIV I was like, "Not again! Pass!" But since it's the DS version with revamped graphics...now I'm like, "Aw man, I guess I have to buy a $25 iTunes card!"

By the way, is this Japan only for now?

JordanN

Banned
[

Screenshots: http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201212070033/
1800 yen
Dec 20th iOS, 2013 Android

2sak4t.jpg

3fjk9h.jpg

Oh man, this is so beautiful. I knew the DS version always had a great artstyle but the lack of texture filtering nearly made it unenjoyable.
Hiqom.jpg

How did Snow survive that fall anyway? Is he tougher than mom?

I think I concluded that he landed on Nora. (Don't ask me how that worked out) Because while Mom's are tough, they're also soft.

And...well, FF4 DS being ported to more things is okay, I guess. (Really agreeing with the "Come on, FF5!" crowd though.)

Also final team of Cecil, Cid, Rydia, Edward, Porom for the win.

Vamphuntr

If you think the game is too difficult for you, just make sure you get the dualcast augment from Palom and Porom and give it to Rosa. Game then becomes much easier and you don't need to grind at all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think I concluded that he landed on Nora. (Don't ask me how that worked out) Because while Mom's are tough, they're also soft.
That was my assumption as well.

Who wants to use Palom and Porom?
Their stats are decent and they learn their magics faster than the other two? Why the heck wouldn't I?

Yeah, who'd want to use the best Black and White mages in the game?
I knew we were buds for a reason.

Vamphuntr

Their stats are decent and they learn their magics faster than the other two? Why the heck wouldn't I?

Porom maybe but the final boss counters magic attacks, no? In the GBA version you could switch party members but Rydia and Palom aren't really useful since the boss counter their spells. In the DS version he also counters summons too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Porom maybe but the final boss counters magic attacks, no? In the GBA version you could switch party members but Rydia and Palom aren't really useful since the boss counter their spells. In the DS version he also counters summons too.
Two black mages would be great for the final dungeon, though. Swapping someone else into his slot would be preferable to some for the final boss (though that would mean trekking through the dungeon again).

But, since I like having the twins in the final battle party, sometimes you have to take the damage to dish it. As long as you play defensively with your buffs you should be fine. Actually, having two white mages to double-up on the buffing would be beneficial. In the SNES version, and coincidentally as we speak I'm going through the two ways to beat the final boss, he certainly does counter everything. But it's moreso when he switches into Phase 2/3/4. I feel like fighting him using the Second Form Glitch is a little harder because you have to keep track of a few more factors than Big Bang.

Swapping out Kain for someone like Yang would be nice. Having swords to throw + using some of the focus attacks would be more beneficial than jumping. But then you lose the advantage of having a party member that can't be hit if you use a command. Almost every member has his/her benefits, and since FF4 locked you into a bunch of classes and ended up giving you the option of 5-6 at the end of the game in most versions, party swap in the GBA version is a very welcome change imo.

I'll get into this in the anniversary thread in a few days, but it really bothers me how much FF4 restricted the player in its original versions.

RedAssedApe

Banned
hmm...was hoping for FFIV complete collection with after years since i haven't played that. complete collection + 3d DS version would be even better :p

Only a matter of time until they port FFVI, eh?

Knowing my luck, they'll announce an awesome remake of FF6 now that I've started playing the SNES version again, then I'll lose the will to play it, but still have to wait 2-5 years for Squeenix to get around to releasing it.

Aeana

The ground textures are definitely higher resolution than on DS. Seems like it got an upgrade just like FF3 did.

s3VHj.jpg

RedSwirl

I already said this in the FFV thread, but I really don't like the visual style of the DS version. I understand it's the most content-rich version, but I still prefer the high-res 2D sprites they've been doing for the PSP remakes of FF, FFII, and FFIV.

BasilZero

So....much temptation to get this....but I want to play it on iPad not iphone >.>.

Anyways, FFV is gonna be interesting, I wonder if they'll port it over to 3DS or make it multiplatform l0l.

kitzkozan

So....much temptation to get this....but I want to play it on iPad not iphone >.>.

Anyways, FFV is gonna be interesting, I wonder if they'll port it over to 3DS or make it multiplatform l0l.

App is universal, so it seems SE is starting to get a clue.

I would wait, since there's seems to be a pattern as to how SE approach the ios platform. Once they release FF V, they will probably discount the previous games. :p I will wait until then to see if I actually bite on FF III and IV depending on if V is an old port of the GBA or a new 2D version or 3D remake (which I would prefer on my Vita).

Aeana

I played through the mist dragon on what they're calling "normal" and it's definitely easier than the DS version. Hopefully that'll be good for those who found the DS version too difficult. I'm about to restart on hard to get the DS difficulty now.

at least calling it "hard" will be honest. I wonder if the lower difficulties will be all new curves, I'd imagine it would have to be, can't just "put it back like it was" with the mechanic changes. FF4DS kicked my ass and I loved it for that.

Wow. Don't remember ds one being this hard. My abilities clearly has diminished over the past 4 years lol. Gonna take it normal this time :)

The achievement is 2 playthroughs anyways, 2nd time will be hard for me!

Does it have cloud saving? I've been slowly chipping away at FF Dimensions, but not being able to play the same save data between my iPhone and iPad is annoying.

Minsc

Gold Member
Disappointed battle framerate tanks on an iPhone 5 while the rest of the game runs at 30fps (like it does in the DS version I am guessing). Sounds like it may be some poor coding, though I'm not quite sure if the animation method used in the battles would even work at 30fps, it looks almost like stop motion animation lol. Either way, hopefully they fix it in a patch, it would be nice to at least not have battle menu selection lag.

Does it have cloud saving? I've been slowly chipping away at FF Dimensions, but not being able to play the same save data between my iPhone and iPad is annoying.

No cloud saving, but you do have 58 game center achievements now.

99%

Disappointed battle framerate tanks on an iPhone 5 while the rest of the game runs at 30fps (like it does in the DS version I am guessing). Sounds like it may be some poor coding, though I'm not quite sure if the animation method used in the battles would even work at 30fps, it looks almost like stop motion animation lol. Either way, hopefully they fix it in a patch, it would be nice to at least not have battle menu selection lag.

No cloud saving, but you do have 58 game center achievements now.

Hope it gets fixed then, iphone 5 should run circles around this :(

Can't wait to get home and start playing!

I already said this in the FFV thread, but I really don't like the visual style of the DS version. I understand it's the most content-rich version, but I still prefer the high-res 2D sprites they've been doing for the PSP remakes of FF, FFII, and FFIV.

Agreed, the 3D graphics e.g. FFIII got is garbage.

ant1532

Banned
Fuuuuudge this is so good. I got this last night and I already have about 5 hours in.

I picked the HARD difficulty though, and fuck man. I feel like my dudes are way higher level than they would have had to be. I'm at the part where you find the monk fighting the giant bomb and join him. cecil is levil 23, rydia is level 22 and edward and rosa is 17 and 16. and the bomb blows up and cleans of 300 or more HP off my party killing everyone except the monk.

THE FUCK

Top Bottom