• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newegg: Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) listed for November 28th release date

LuuKyK

Sonya.
smashtard.gif

Take ages to put out GT5, and suddenly announces (?) GT6 for PS3. It doesnt make sense at all, they probably wont have it for PS4 since it would be a direct competitor to Drive Club.

vazel

Banned
This will be good if the PS4 gets a 1080p version. A real 1080p version; none of this 1280x1080 with Quincunx bullshit.

Aguirre

Sonya.
smashtard.gif

Take ages to put out GT5, and suddenly announces (?) GT6 for PS3. It doesnt make sense at all, they probably wont have it for PS4 since it would be a direct competitor to Drive Club.

wasnt most of the content created for gt5 next-gen ready or something?

The way I see it, GT6 will be what GT5 was supposed to be. Fully complete. Then they will make one for PS4.

The pattern is already there in front of us:

PSX
GT1 (Small)
GT2 (Massive update)

PS2
GT3 (Small)
GT4 (Massive update)

PS3
GT5 (Small)
GT6 (Massive update, hopefully)

PS4
GT7 (Small)

You get my point.

ruttyboy

Price drop PS3 and release GT6, capture potentially millions of people who wouldn't be in the market for a PS4 for another 3-4 years anyway, by which time there will be a GT game on PS4 and therefore more likely to go with Sony next gen too.

Makes sense to me.

This will be good if the PS4 gets a 1080p version. A real 1080p version; none of this 1280x1080 with Quincunx bullshit.

Agreed. I'd be happy to see a PS4 launch port even if it's only real improvements were true 1080p, a flawless framerate, and über antialiasing.

Mokubba

If it was releasing this year, wouldn't Sony have announced it by now?

Last of Us was announced in 2011. Even Puppeteer, Rain and Tearaway were announced last year but Sony's biggest franchise will supposedly get a stealth release the same time the PS4 comes out?

Maybe it's GT6 prologue or something

Edit:

Yeah, something is definitely going down soon. GT is getting a new site

http://www.gran-turismo.com/sg/news/d21222.html

untitled1sjux2.gif

I also need a source for this gif

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Was it? I dont know. If it really was, it probably doesnt mean much right? Considering they wont outright port GT5 to PS4 at this point, I dont think.

I think the rumour or information, or whatever it was, is that they did all the assets for GT5 far higher then edited them down for the PS3 so that they could reuse them in the future without having to do them again. So we don't end up with premium and "used" car models again.

Maxxan

I see no reason why a version of GT6 with fewer features or grahical bells and whistles could not be on the PS3

ruttyboy

How about this.

PS4 releases in September with Drive Club as launch title.

GT6 releases on PS3/4 in November for Christmas push. World is set on fire slightly afterwards.

I genuinely believe they might try something like this, nothing wrong with having two racing games in one quarter, especially when they are targeting different genres as GT and DC seem to be.

jabuseika

The way I see it, GT6 will be what GT5 was supposed to be. Fully complete. Then they will make one for PS4.

The pattern is already there in front of us:

PSX
GT1 (Small)
GT2 (Massive update)

PS2
GT3 (Small)
GT4 (Massive update)

PS3
GT5 (Small)
GT6 (Massive update, hopefully)

PS4
GT7 (Small)

You get my point.

That is interesting.

Kaz said he wanted to do an open world type of environment for GT5, the prototype of which you can see on the idle screen sometimes. I wonder if this will be a traditional Gran Turismo or some thing more like Forza Horizon.

If Forza can do a main series game and Forza Horizon relatively close to each other, why can't Gran Turismo?

saladine1

How about this.

GT6 releases on PS3/4 in November for Christmas push. World is set on fire slightly afterwards.

I genuinely believe they might try something like this, nothing wrong with having two racing games in one quarter, especially when they are targeting different genres as GT and DC seem to be.

Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact I wouldn't mind 50 racing games in a quarter. The more the merrier I say!

It's going to be a very fun time for racing game fans this year.

This is perfect for the PS3. The second GT release in a gen is always a focus on content with the internals already in place. I would feel scammed if we didn't get this on PS3. Whatever we do get on PS4 from Polyphony, it will be on a whole other level compared to the assets they already have from GT5, and will take a lot of time to develop.

I know their scanned data of the cars and the base models of those cars were mentioned as being even more than the GT5 engine could handle, so hopefully that means a lot of work already done for the first PS4 GT. Meanwhile, it would be sad to waste all they've produced for this console, one last mega-content PS3 release is a given.

8byte

Banned
It would give a lot of racing fans a reason to not get a PS4 or Drive Club this holiday.

I simply don't think that niche of consumers is going to make even a remote dent in the PS4 launch process, nor would they bring in a similar amount of revenue as a new GT with an install base of tens of millions of users. Sorry, it simply doesn't make financial sense to launch a new GT on PS4 when you can put one out on PS3 and make substantially more money.

noobasuar

Banned
Oh this is delicious. Only Sony can fuck things up so badly. Sony sure wants people to buy ps3's over ps4's.

This would be like if there was a release of a new monster hunter game on psp a week before the vita launched and was also incompatible to play on the Vita.

Beautiful.

ruttyboy

Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact I wouldn't mind 50 racing games in a quarter. The more the merrier I say!

It's going to be a very fun time for racing game fans this year.

Hehehe, yes, but what I meant was the 2 months from launch to Thanksgiving/Christmas should be long enough for DC to prove itself, most games have died a death sales wise by then anyway.

sunnz

I simply don't think that niche of consumers is going to make even a remote dent in the PS4 launch process, nor would they bring in a similar amount of revenue as a new GT with an install base of tens of millions of users. Sorry, it simply doesn't make financial sense to launch a new GT on PS4 when you can put one out on PS3 and make substantially more money.

Yes but the ps4 is SONY's future, you would think they would want to make sure it gets of to a good start...

This should really be a PS4 title, terrible decision by Sony if this is PS3 only, especially around a PS4 release that isn't backwards compatible, and is likely to send DriveClub to its death if it is in fact a PS4 launch title and comes out around the same time.

It's not like they just want to abandon the 70+ million ps3 owners out there, especially with a franchise like GT which typically sells better on an established userbase. It's not like a PS4 version would have been ready for launch.

If it was releasing this year, wouldn't Sony have announced it by now?

Last of Us was announced in 2011. Even Puppeteer, Rain and Tearaway were announced last year but Sony's biggest franchise will supposedly get a stealth release the same time the PS4 comes out?

Maybe it's GT6 prologue or something
Yeah that doesn't make any sense. They would have announced it by now. Since they didn't, PS3/PS4 is the only thing that makes sense.

i always wonder, how do retailers like newegg, bestbuy, gamestop obtain release information, do they have special communication channel with publishers or do they just plain guessing, it would be very silly if its the latter right?

It's not like they just want to abandon the 70+ million ps3 owners out there, especially with a franchise like GT which typically sells better on an established userbase. It's not like a PS4 version would have been ready for launch.
Why not? PS4 only is not smart yes, but PS3 only isn't either. PS3/PS4 is the only way to go IMO.

Rhindle

Ordinarily I'd be inclined to assume this was a cross-gen PS3/4 release.

But this being Sony/Polyphony, logic has no role in the equation.

Takao

Banned
How about this.

PS4 ain't coming in September.

Top Bottom