• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Says The Last Guardian Calls Made in Error

FStop7

Banned
I hope it's not true but the reality is it's been DOA for a while. No E3 or TGS for the past two years. No meaningful updates. Ueda leaves Sony.

I hope it can be revived or finished or whatever, but this can't be a big surprise by now.

Well that would be something. Couldn't imagine it not making out after all that work. But if it was still a complete mess maybe Sony would at this point cut their losses?

Darklord

Banned
ibqtducBeUq3by.gif

Pandanaut

I texted a friend of mine that has the game pre-ordered at Gamestop and he said he received an automated message telling him that they have cancelled the game as well.

I really doubt it's true. Retail would be the last place you'd hear about this sort of thing. They probably got word of Ueda stepping down and are over-reacting.

Timing could mean a couple of different things.

1. Cancel the game the same day as the western Vita launch announcements so the PR about the cancelled game is as small as possible.

2. Game isn't actually cancelled but Gamestop wants to remove all the preorders off their balance sheet to clean it up right before the end of the quarter. Pretty sure the games that are preordered show up as a liability until they actually deliver the game and since there isn't any clue as too when TLG will release they decided to stop carrying over that liability to every quarter.

Coxy

Didnt they say the game was pretty much done but Ueda wanted to keep fine tuning it down more and more? Might still be a while but definitely doesnt sound like they'd go "Fuck it!" and throw it away

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe they changed the title?

It's hard to believe they canceled this game because only last few weeks Sony said is in contract to finish the game.

i'm pretty sure Gamestop claimed that the PC version of Dead Rising 2 was cancelled also. this might just be an automated response because they've pulled it from their systems for now, until there's a realistic release date.

that's most likely.

i'm sure they aren't wasting time and money just to fuck with everyone, though who knows really?

More like "delayed indefinitely".

Will probably be retooled as a downloadable PS4 title. Bookmark this reply for maximum lulz in 2014.

Ashodin

Two things, GAF:

I can go to GameStop and acquire documents confirming this directly from corporate (if they exist)

or just take screenshots of the computers there.

Up to you.

They've been working on this since before the PS3 launched right?

If it really is cancelled, then it's for the best. You don't cancel something that is close to being finished after 6 or 7 years of production. This tells me that we wouldn't have seen this game any time soon anyway. I loved SotC as well, but this guy (main designer who to my understanding is known for taking forever) and project were money pits and at some point you have to say enough is enough.

Sony would not cancel that game. They'd toss ueda, sure. but they'd get other people to finish it. no way did ueda have a contract strong enough in place otherwise.

Top Bottom